Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England in the West Indies 14:56 - Apr 13 with 9276 viewsTommoRAFC

West Indies won the toss and bowl. Trott to open with Cook and Tredwell selected as the spinner.

To say I'm feeling underwhelmed at the moment would be an understatement!

At least Stokes is back, that's one positive I suppose. It'll be interesting to see what impact Gibson has as coach again now we've lost Saker to the IPL.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2015 15:06]

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

England in the West Indies on 15:04 - Apr 13 with 6218 viewsTommoRAFC

Trott lasted 2 balls, 1-1.

England in the West Indies on 15:11 - Apr 13 with 6193 viewsPDIDDY

Don't hammer the West Indies reserves and it should be Cheerio, Cooke and moores
[Post edited 13 Apr 2015 15:42]

Gissa job

England in the West Indies on 15:50 - Apr 13 with 6128 viewsChaffRAFC

Cook didn't exactly last long either

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

England in the West Indies on 16:44 - Apr 13 with 6058 views_dezzy

Or Balance

KHBA

England in the West Indies on 17:18 - Apr 13 with 6012 viewsTommoRAFC

England in the West Indies on 16:44 - Apr 13 by _dezzy

Or Balance

3 slow accumulators handing the initiative to the W'indies. A pre summer horror show so far. Hopefully the middle order can grind out a defendable score and Jimmy can get the ball swinging again...

England in the West Indies on 19:06 - Apr 13 with 5924 viewsisitme

Good century stand from Bell and Root to steady the ship.
England in the West Indies on 21:23 - Apr 13 with 5849 viewsTVOS1907

And Bell brings up his 22nd Test century.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

England in the West Indies on 22:39 - Apr 13 with 5794 viewsD_Alien

England in the West Indies on 21:23 - Apr 13 by TVOS1907

And Bell brings up his 22nd Test century.

Bell departs, but England's day after another shaky start, 341-5

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

England in the West Indies on 22:46 - Apr 13 with 5777 viewsTommoRAFC

England in the West Indies on 22:39 - Apr 13 by D_Alien

Bell departs, but England's day after another shaky start, 341-5

I can't remember the last time England scored 300 in a day?! That's some performance by the lads, Bell looked disappointed as he came off, he looked like he'd get 200 easy the way he was playing.

Anything over 400 and I can't see the W'Indies having a chance. Couldn't be a bigger contrast to the way the match looked when I left the house for training.

England in the West Indies on 02:37 - Apr 14 with 5725 viewsNigeriamark

England in the West Indies on 22:46 - Apr 13 by TommoRAFC

I can't remember the last time England scored 300 in a day?! That's some performance by the lads, Bell looked disappointed as he came off, he looked like he'd get 200 easy the way he was playing.

Anything over 400 and I can't see the W'Indies having a chance. Couldn't be a bigger contrast to the way the match looked when I left the house for training.

I bet pieterson was having a quiet chuckle at lunch

Good performance in this series and he probably has no chance getting in although Trott and Balance need to find some form
England in the West Indies on 07:11 - Apr 14 with 5692 viewsTalkingSutty

England in the West Indies on 22:46 - Apr 13 by TommoRAFC

They scored nearly 300 runs in the last two sessions which is good going. Having said that the windies only have four front line bowlers and elected to bowl after winning the toss which was a bit strange. Gayle in the meantime was smacking it around in the IPL whilst filling his pockets with cash.

It's a breath of fresh air to watch some proper cricket rather than the pyjama wearing shortened version of the game and don't get me started on the idea of shortening test matches to four days, it changes the whole dynamics of the contest. Nothing better than watching a Fifth day test match on a turning wicket with all three results still a possibility.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 7:20]
England in the West Indies on 07:16 - Apr 14 with 5685 viewsColDale

England in the West Indies on 07:11 - Apr 14 by TalkingSutty

They scored nearly 300 runs in the last two sessions which is good going. Having said that the windies only have four front line bowlers and elected to bowl after winning the toss which was a bit strange. Gayle in the meantime was smacking it around in the IPL whilst filling his pockets with cash.

It's a breath of fresh air to watch some proper cricket rather than the pyjama wearing shortened version of the game and don't get me started on the idea of shortening test matches to four days, it changes the whole dynamics of the contest. Nothing better than watching a Fifth day test match on a turning wicket with all three results still a possibility.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 7:20]

hopefully the 4 days of 105 overs is a complete non starter. It's a sure fire way of killing off fast bowlers and will in turn lead to inferior test match cricket at a time when it's in dire need of help. They'll only throw in more one day games when the TV companies offer less money because of the fewer days of coverage.
England in the West Indies on 07:37 - Apr 14 with 5665 viewsTalkingSutty

England in the West Indies on 07:16 - Apr 14 by ColDale

hopefully the 4 days of 105 overs is a complete non starter. It's a sure fire way of killing off fast bowlers and will in turn lead to inferior test match cricket at a time when it's in dire need of help. They'll only throw in more one day games when the TV companies offer less money because of the fewer days of coverage.

You can also forget about comparing current and historic cricketing statistics. Test match batting and bowling averages won't be able to be compared and what happens when you lose a day to rain in the shortened 4 day version?

Comparing current cricketing records against figures from decades ago is now also very difficult to do as it stands. Batting on uncovered wickets required more skill and the size of the modern day cricket bats often means a forward defensive push flies to the boundary when years ago it might have resulted in a single. The bouncer rule also makes batting easier and restricts the bowler.

Can you imagine Viv Richards or Ian Botham batting with one of the modern day cricket bats. Every little change in the format of the game,or even the cricket equipment, means comparing statistics is futile.
England in the West Indies on 08:23 - Apr 14 with 5636 viewsTommoRAFC

England in the West Indies on 07:37 - Apr 14 by TalkingSutty

You can also forget about comparing current and historic cricketing statistics. Test match batting and bowling averages won't be able to be compared and what happens when you lose a day to rain in the shortened 4 day version?

Comparing current cricketing records against figures from decades ago is now also very difficult to do as it stands. Batting on uncovered wickets required more skill and the size of the modern day cricket bats often means a forward defensive push flies to the boundary when years ago it might have resulted in a single. The bouncer rule also makes batting easier and restricts the bowler.

Can you imagine Viv Richards or Ian Botham batting with one of the modern day cricket bats. Every little change in the format of the game,or even the cricket equipment, means comparing statistics is futile.

Exactly, you wouldn't mind if the 4 day idea came from Australia or India. But no, it came from the latest clown at the ecb to open his mouth and make us look like a laughing stock again.

Test cricket is one of the finest sports in the world, -it's not broken, so leave it the f#$k alone and stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

England in the West Indies on 08:30 - Apr 14 with 5630 viewsTalkingSutty

England in the West Indies on 08:23 - Apr 14 by TommoRAFC

Exactly, you wouldn't mind if the 4 day idea came from Australia or India. But no, it came from the latest clown at the ecb to open his mouth and make us look like a laughing stock again.

Test cricket is one of the finest sports in the world, -it's not broken, so leave it the f#$k alone and stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

Well said!!
England in the West Indies on 13:33 - Apr 14 with 5538 viewsNigeriamark

England in the West Indies on 08:23 - Apr 14 by TommoRAFC

I see problems in the future for test cricket because of the decision to give global power to India ( I know in theory it should be India, Australia and England but ultimately it is India). Unlike England and Australia they put the shorter format of the game ahead of test cricket. I can see over the years more investment in T20 and 50 over games and less in Test Cricket as India exercise their commercial weight ( and we all know money talks). I would imagine they will jump at the chance to make it 4 days or to start to add a few gimmicks to make it more exiting. As alluded to a 5 day game is like a chess game with ebbs and flows, tactics and strategy. Leave it untouched

Personally I actually like all 3 formats of the game
England in the West Indies on 13:39 - Apr 14 with 5528 viewsD_Alien

England in the West Indies on 13:33 - Apr 14 by Nigeriamark

I see problems in the future for test cricket because of the decision to give global power to India ( I know in theory it should be India, Australia and England but ultimately it is India). Unlike England and Australia they put the shorter format of the game ahead of test cricket. I can see over the years more investment in T20 and 50 over games and less in Test Cricket as India exercise their commercial weight ( and we all know money talks). I would imagine they will jump at the chance to make it 4 days or to start to add a few gimmicks to make it more exiting. As alluded to a 5 day game is like a chess game with ebbs and flows, tactics and strategy. Leave it untouched

Personally I actually like all 3 formats of the game

The Indians do get excited a bit too easily, don't they.

They need look no further than Sachin Tendulkar or Dilip Venksarkar for players whose careers would've gone nowhere unless allowed to develop naturally within the freedom of the 5-day test arena.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 13:40]

England in the West Indies on 14:00 - Apr 14 with 5508 viewspioneer

Test matches were originally three day games and then moved to four and five days (and of course at one stage unlimited days - only limited by the sailing schedule of the ocean liner companies - see the timeless test between South Africa and England).
England in the West Indies on 15:07 - Apr 14 with 5468 viewsD_Alien

England in the West Indies on 14:00 - Apr 14 by pioneer

Test matches were originally three day games and then moved to four and five days (and of course at one stage unlimited days - only limited by the sailing schedule of the ocean liner companies - see the timeless test between South Africa and England).

This is true, but a key factor is over rates. All the old-time pro's complain about how few overs get bowled in the day now.

England in the West Indies on 16:05 - Apr 14 with 5427 viewsisitme

After a good day yesterday. The good old lower order collapse.
England in the West Indies on 16:06 - Apr 14 with 5424 viewsTommoRAFC

Collapsing today 4 wickets gone in just under an hour, Buttler and Broad gone for ducks.

England in the West Indies on 18:08 - Apr 14 with 5366 viewsD_Alien

England in the West Indies on 16:06 - Apr 14 by TommoRAFC

Collapsing today 4 wickets gone in just under an hour, Buttler and Broad gone for ducks.

Breakthrough by Jimmy, after showing the lower middle order how to bat.

Just three more needed to take Botham's record now

England in the West Indies on 00:15 - Apr 15 with 5292 viewsTommoRAFC

England in the West Indies on 18:08 - Apr 14 by D_Alien

Breakthrough by Jimmy, after showing the lower middle order how to bat.

Just three more needed to take Botham's record now

New ball due in 14 overs and the W'Indies 240ish behind. We're in a good position and if Jimmy get's his tail up with the second new ball then we should be in a great position.

Fao cricket gods, I said position as we'd still have to bat and with the form of our top 3, Buttler and Broad then we'd still have alot of work to do!

England in the West Indies on 19:28 - Apr 15 with 5218 viewsD_Alien

First innings lead of 104

All the time in the world to take the lead past 400 and put the West Indies on the rack - what could possibly go wrong?

England in the West Indies on 19:39 - Apr 15 with 5197 viewsChaffRAFC

Impressive bowling performance from Tredwell to say he can't get into the Kent side.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024