Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clutching at straws thread 17:10 - Apr 18 with 6273 views442Dale

We have to win the next two obviously, and that's going to take some doing, but other results may yet go our way to take it to the last day.

So let's say we get nine points...

If Chesterfield lose against Bristol City, we will be two points behind them and even if they draw at Sheff U on the last day, our goal difference would ensure we would finish above them on 69 points.
Same if they draw next week and lose at Bramall Lane. (their goal difference drops to +14 at best in this scenario whilst ours would increase to the same amount at worst... and we have scored more goals)

If Sheff U lose against Leyton Orient and v Chesterfield we're back to our goal difference being better as United's is only +13 now.

So if we beat Orient and MK and the Spireites and the Blades lose next Saturday, we go into the final game knowing a win at Barnsley will secure a playoff place. Simple.

#expectation
[Post edited 18 Apr 2015 17:14]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Clutching at straws thread on 17:12 - Apr 18 with 3668 viewstazzydjr

I really don't see us beating the Franchise on the last day but i do see Chessie messing up

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Clutching at straws thread on 17:19 - Apr 18 with 3609 viewssweetcorn

I'm afraid thats all she wrote now by the looks of it. Hopefully the pressure being lifted will see the results come and who knows.. But we should forget them now and if it happens it'll be a nice suprise.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Clutching at straws thread on 17:23 - Apr 18 with 3581 viewsWhiteyBFC

Clutching at straws thread on 17:12 - Apr 18 by tazzydjr

I really don't see us beating the Franchise on the last day but i do see Chessie messing up

The Franchise?

That's a new one. I like it though. At least you're not calling us summat fcuking silly like 'Chessie'.

Anyway, if on the final day you miraculously have the opportunity to pip United to the playoffs, I hope we let you win, just to spite the horrible basterds.

Unfortunately, for you, it's over already and all that will be riding on that season finale will be who of the two of us finishes above the other. How exciting eh?

We've just fielded the youngest XI in the football league, and played out the most boring match ever, robbing an undeserved point in injury time.

See you soon my little 'Rocchydaleys'.
Clutching at straws thread on 17:35 - Apr 18 with 3510 viewstazzydjr

Clutching at straws thread on 17:23 - Apr 18 by WhiteyBFC

The Franchise?

That's a new one. I like it though. At least you're not calling us summat fcuking silly like 'Chessie'.

Anyway, if on the final day you miraculously have the opportunity to pip United to the playoffs, I hope we let you win, just to spite the horrible basterds.

Unfortunately, for you, it's over already and all that will be riding on that season finale will be who of the two of us finishes above the other. How exciting eh?

We've just fielded the youngest XI in the football league, and played out the most boring match ever, robbing an undeserved point in injury time.

Like i were referring to last home game but tbf our youth team are probably better than majority of your squad at Oakwell
[Post edited 18 Apr 2015 17:36]

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com

Clutching at straws thread on 17:37 - Apr 18 with 3501 viewsSaxonDale

The Franchise?

Think Taz is getting mixed up and actually referring to our last home game, against MK Dons.
Clutching at straws thread on 17:39 - Apr 18 with 3487 viewsfrenzied

The Franchise?

Franchise ...MK DONS

I think its amazing that despite todays debacle we are still in with a mathematical chance ..cant see us beating MK thou they will be fired up ..Yeovil on a great run ..wonder what pearl of wisdom the Swindon boss comes up with this time"shudda cudda"...but didn't!!
Clutching at straws thread on 17:39 - Apr 18 with 3477 viewsdale1968

I would love us to make the play offs but I think after today it is now a step too far?
With just 3 games left I cant see any more than 3 pts being gained?
Hope I am wrong but what ever happens its been a great season all round and we Have L1 status next season.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Clutching at straws thread on 18:09 - Apr 18 with 3343 viewsD_Alien

Will be interesting to see how Orient approach the game on Tuesday

We need to win, obviously

Realistically, it'd be a terrible risk for them to come here playing for a point - they surely have to try and snatch all three and after today's pasting their confidence will be shot

If we concede first, god help us.

Unfortunately (I think?) I can't be there, and I suspect we'll be playing in front of less than 2000 so it'll be a very strange atmosphere

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Clutching at straws thread on 18:14 - Apr 18 with 3305 viewsTalkingSutty

Clutching at straws thread on 18:09 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Realistically, it'd be a terrible risk for them to come here playing for a point - they surely have to try and snatch all three and after today's pasting their confidence will be shot

Unfortunately (I think?) I can't be there, and I suspect we'll be playing in front of less than 2000 so it'll be a very strange atmosphere

Tuesday should be a cracker, Orient are desperate and whilst we still have a sniff of the Play Offs our players should be up for it. Looking forward to the game and then it's Franchise... If they can't muster at least 1500 fans for their game at Spotland next Saturday it's a very poor show.
Clutching at straws thread on 18:19 - Apr 18 with 3263 views442Dale

Clutching at straws thread on 18:09 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

That last point is an interesting one, it's not often since 2007 that we have been involved in games that don't mean that much. Now while the ever optimistic amongst us might be sad enough to work out permutations with 15 minutes of a game ending, many will have a quick look at the table and think it's a nothing game for Dale.

It won't even have occurred to some that we're still playing to finish in our highest ever position. By not capturing their attention a couple of weeks back with something/anything to try and ensure their attendance for this rearranged game, we could be looking at a low crowd that will create the usual debate and have the management team wondering what more their team can do to play in front of bigger crowds.

Clutching at straws thread on 18:20 - Apr 18 with 3255 views442Dale

Clutching at straws thread on 18:14 - Apr 18 by TalkingSutty

Tuesday should be a cracker, Orient are desperate and whilst we still have a sniff of the Play Offs our players should be up for it. Looking forward to the game and then it's Franchise... If they can't muster at least 1500 fans for their game at Spotland next Saturday it's a very poor show.

It would be a surprise if they bring a third of that number.

Clutching at straws thread on 18:54 - Apr 18 with 3144 viewsdingdangblue

Clutching at straws thread on 18:19 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

That last point is an interesting one, it's not often since 2007 that we have been involved in games that don't mean that much. Now while the ever optimistic amongst us might be sad enough to work out permutations with 15 minutes of a game ending, many will have a quick look at the table and think it's a nothing game for Dale.

It won't even have occurred to some that we're still playing to finish in our highest ever position. By not capturing their attention a couple of weeks back with something/anything to try and ensure their attendance for this rearranged game, we could be looking at a low crowd that will create the usual debate and have the management team wondering what more their team can do to play in front of bigger crowds.

One more win and it makes it the most wins ever in 3rd tier. 19 (previous best is 18 achieved twice before) - so that's something to aim for even if play off hopes are slim. All we can do is win our 2 home games now and take it from there.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Clutching at straws thread on 22:36 - Apr 18 with 2873 viewsWhiteyBFC

Clutching at straws thread on 17:39 - Apr 18 by frenzied

Franchise ...MK DONS

I think its amazing that despite todays debacle we are still in with a mathematical chance ..cant see us beating MK thou they will be fired up ..Yeovil on a great run ..wonder what pearl of wisdom the Swindon boss comes up with this time"shudda cudda"...but didn't!!

I assumed he was on about Dale's final game.

Ah well.
Clutching at straws thread on 22:38 - Apr 18 with 2869 viewspioneer

Clutching at straws thread on 18:54 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

One more win and it makes it the most wins ever in 3rd tier. 19 (previous best is 18 achieved twice before) - so that's something to aim for even if play off hopes are slim. All we can do is win our 2 home games now and take it from there.

crazy that we are one spot off play offs yet have lost more games than we have won.

Oh how it could have been so different but Hilly doesnt do end of seasons does he..
Clutching at straws thread on 23:10 - Apr 18 with 2809 viewsdingdangblue

Clutching at straws thread on 22:38 - Apr 18 by pioneer

crazy that we are one spot off play offs yet have lost more games than we have won.

Oh how it could have been so different but Hilly doesnt do end of seasons does he..

This has been stated before and I think its 50/50 split - we have had good ends of seasons.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Clutching at straws thread on 09:49 - Apr 20 with 2507 viewsParkinsGimp

Clutching at straws thread on 17:39 - Apr 18 by dale1968

I would love us to make the play offs but I think after today it is now a step too far?
With just 3 games left I cant see any more than 3 pts being gained?
Hope I am wrong but what ever happens its been a great season all round and we Have L1 status next season.

Business end of the season now and unfortunately we dont have the players to perform...RNL , Brandy, Bunney, Logan , Camps, Rose , Kennedy, Lancashire, Lillis and Andrew are just not League one standard, I think we have been very fortunate this season. Its been a great campaign and nobody would of expected us to be up there, well done to the squad . Hopefully the division does not improve too much next season, since we cannot improve that much in pre-season.
Clutching at straws thread on 10:13 - Apr 20 with 2468 viewsDale23years

Clutching at straws thread on 09:49 - Apr 20 by ParkinsGimp

Business end of the season now and unfortunately we dont have the players to perform...RNL , Brandy, Bunney, Logan , Camps, Rose , Kennedy, Lancashire, Lillis and Andrew are just not League one standard, I think we have been very fortunate this season. Its been a great campaign and nobody would of expected us to be up there, well done to the squad . Hopefully the division does not improve too much next season, since we cannot improve that much in pre-season.

Logan ,Camps,Kennedy have you been on the Hippy Crack this morning

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Clutching at straws thread on 10:21 - Apr 20 with 2452 viewsdingdangblue

Maybe you need to find a new team to support as Dale obviously cant live upto your high standards.

Clutching at straws thread on 10:28 - Apr 20 with 2426 viewsSaxonDale

Your posts really are getting boring now.
Clutching at straws thread on 13:00 - Apr 20 with 2300 viewsD_Dale

Clutching at straws thread on 18:20 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

It would be a surprise if they bring a third of that number.

And I'd be surprised if the O's bring a half of that third. There won't be many 'Leyton fans in exile' who face a short journey, so those who do come will have to start off in the early afternoon and expect to get home as dawn is breaking. That to support a team away fans will have seen lose 6-1 on Saturday.

Not that I'm having a dig at Leyton's level of support. With football on TV and Dale's promotion hopes gone (anyone who really disagrees: how much have you bet on a play-off place?), I'm expecting 5-600 fewer than last Tuesday. As many as a dozen of those might pitch up at Giggle Lane on the pretext of casting an eye over a possible L1 newcomer.
Clutching at straws thread on 13:17 - Apr 20 with 2259 viewsParkinsGimp

Clutching at straws thread on 10:13 - Apr 20 by Dale23years

Logan ,Camps,Kennedy have you been on the Hippy Crack this morning

Not at all pal, Kennedy is not good enough if/when this division improves. Camps may make it but hes only fringe. Logan( as in not the goalie obviously) is way off the mark. This division has been poor this season, some very low level teams. It does happen from time to time then suddenly the whole league improves somewhat and a team can be found out. I think we have been very fortunate this year. I dont even expect us in top ten next year but we must improve just to treadwater. We must build slowly in this division and it would be foolish to think the squad can take us on again next year.
We need a goalie, two centre halves and a proven striker. It maybe too much to ask, but at least two out of four please, especially the goalie.
Clutching at straws thread on 13:21 - Apr 20 with 2251 viewstazzydjr

1520 souls if were lucky Tuesday Night for the simple fact that Buckets are offering it Free and Blackburn Rovers v Millwall is also cheap

Clutching at straws thread on 13:38 - Apr 20 with 2212 viewsfermin

Clutching at straws thread on 13:17 - Apr 20 by ParkinsGimp

Not at all pal, Kennedy is not good enough if/when this division improves. Camps may make it but hes only fringe. Logan( as in not the goalie obviously) is way off the mark. This division has been poor this season, some very low level teams. It does happen from time to time then suddenly the whole league improves somewhat and a team can be found out. I think we have been very fortunate this year. I dont even expect us in top ten next year but we must improve just to treadwater. We must build slowly in this division and it would be foolish to think the squad can take us on again next year.
We need a goalie, two centre halves and a proven striker. It maybe too much to ask, but at least two out of four please, especially the goalie.

I'm not sure I agree with all the players you mention but I do agree with the rest of your post in that I also do not think that the league has been that high in quality this season.

I haven't seen every team or game but of the ones I have only Swindon have impressed me. Unfortunately I think MK are also meant to be pretty good to watch (and I hate to say that). Preston and Bristol have been consistent but not that great based on what I have seen.

Everyone else, including us, has been much of a muchness really. I mean Gillingham are 9th(?) and they were bad at Spotland and only a bit better on Saturday. We have not exactly been that brilliant in recent games either.

As you say, in our preparations for next year we have to assume the league will be better next season, and judging by his interview Hill is looking to release some and recruit some as you would expect.
Clutching at straws thread on 15:27 - Apr 20 with 2080 viewsdingdangblue

Clutching at straws thread on 13:21 - Apr 20 by tazzydjr

1520 souls if were lucky Tuesday Night for the simple fact that Buckets are offering it Free and Blackburn Rovers v Millwall is also cheap

I wouldn't have thought we'd be losing many fans to the Blackburn v Millwall game.

Clutching at straws thread on 16:02 - Apr 20 with 2041 viewsFrog

I'm not even considering the play offs now, was a nice dream for a while but never honestly thought we'd make it. More of the same next season will do for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024