Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Targets for next season 16:23 - Apr 19 with 6868 viewsD_Alien

A couple of people have posted that they "need to know the club's targets for next season" before buying a ST

I really don't recall anyone demanding to know what the club's targets were for the next season before buying a ST during the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's or indeed 2000's

What's changed? That we're just a damned sight more successful nowadays?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Targets for next season on 17:31 - Apr 19 with 3857 viewsTalkingSutty

Consolidating in the league you find yourself in is what happens to the majority of clubs the higher up the pyramid they rise.Much bigger clubs than Rochdale would settle for consolidation in league one.

Now if we were having this discussion in league two it would be a different kettle of fish but residing in league one is a good place to watch football. If we make a real effort to grow the infrastructure of the club and still remain competitive in this league then fair enough.

Hilly said something about his Auntie and bollocks last week, well if we had kept Logan, Done, O' Connell at the club and perhaps brought another forward in during the transfer window we would have reached the Play Offs i reckon, then who knows. We where close this season and couldn't help the departure of some of those players but its a pointless discussion because after 115 years of never playing at the next level its now deemed to be too early!! I can understand that feeling but when you get a outside chance of any type of promotion you have got to give yourself every chance of succeeding, you cant start hesitating or fearing it.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2015 17:32]
Targets for next season on 17:50 - Apr 19 with 3805 viewsBobbyjoe

It does though highlight the difficulty of appealing to both current supporters, whom the club cannot afford to (D')alienate, and the wider audience, for whom "consolidation" doesn't exactly set the pulses racing!
Targets for next season on 17:53 - Apr 19 with 3792 views442Dale

What we have to be wary of is thinking we can push on and make a real challenge for promotion. I'd be happy with another season like this one, where's there a chance of the top six if we can put decent runs together at various times during the season.

If the rest of the club really starts catching up with what we see out on the pitch and we have a few hundred more regulars, top half will be fine.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Targets for next season on 17:54 - Apr 19 with 3780 viewsD_Alien

Targets for next season on 17:31 - Apr 19 by TalkingSutty

Consolidating in the league you find yourself in is what happens to the majority of clubs the higher up the pyramid they rise.Much bigger clubs than Rochdale would settle for consolidation in league one.

Now if we were having this discussion in league two it would be a different kettle of fish but residing in league one is a good place to watch football. If we make a real effort to grow the infrastructure of the club and still remain competitive in this league then fair enough.

Hilly said something about his Auntie and bollocks last week, well if we had kept Logan, Done, O' Connell at the club and perhaps brought another forward in during the transfer window we would have reached the Play Offs i reckon, then who knows. We where close this season and couldn't help the departure of some of those players but its a pointless discussion because after 115 years of never playing at the next level its now deemed to be too early!! I can understand that feeling but when you get a outside chance of any type of promotion you have got to give yourself every chance of succeeding, you cant start hesitating or fearing it.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2015 17:32]

I agree with much of that, but perhaps those who posted about hesitating before buying season tickets would like to comment further?

It seems to me the club are going all out to achieve a public relations disaster by setting themselves up as too scared to succeed. I don't think that's true for one minute, but public perception is everything and could easily negate anything our new marketing person might put in place.

By demanding to know what the club's targets are, people are going to be disappointed because it'll just lead to platitudes being broadcast. It just seems a ridiculous demand, that's all.

Targets for next season on 18:01 - Apr 19 with 3743 viewsTalkingSutty

Targets for next season on 17:50 - Apr 19 by Bobbyjoe

It does though highlight the difficulty of appealing to both current supporters, whom the club cannot afford to (D')alienate, and the wider audience, for whom "consolidation" doesn't exactly set the pulses racing!

Agree, consolidation and waiting for things is something that the younger generation in particular don't really grasp. Its a 'want it now' society and it doesn't matter how much it costs.

I don't think the Championship will ever be a place for us, but if the opportunity ever presents itself again lets spend a few quid at the right time, and as a club everybody give 100% to make it happen. Lets not die wondering. Where Chesterfield that much better than us??
Targets for next season on 18:07 - Apr 19 with 3714 viewsColDale

problem is we have a generation of Dale supporters who have not known anything other than success, aside from eighteen months of Eyre and Coleman.We're getting on for ten years since Hill first took over and he's made the impossible seem dead easy.

Target for me is that we as a club are in a stronger position than we are now. Not the sort of thing to enthuse the town, but stadium sorted, a first team packed with home graduates and plenty of optimism for 2016-17.
Targets for next season on 18:28 - Apr 19 with 3634 viewsBobbyjoe

Targets for next season on 18:07 - Apr 19 by ColDale

problem is we have a generation of Dale supporters who have not known anything other than success, aside from eighteen months of Eyre and Coleman.We're getting on for ten years since Hill first took over and he's made the impossible seem dead easy.

Target for me is that we as a club are in a stronger position than we are now. Not the sort of thing to enthuse the town, but stadium sorted, a first team packed with home graduates and plenty of optimism for 2016-17.

There is a bigger generation, Col, who might not see 2016-17!

Carpe diem!
Targets for next season on 18:33 - Apr 19 with 3623 viewsTalkingSutty

Targets for next season on 18:07 - Apr 19 by ColDale

I am now guaranteed to see us play 4 seasons in league one, i never thought I would see us play one season never mind four. For a long time it was just a matter of waiting for the axe to fall and a lifetime of non league or even extinction.

A lifetime in league one or even league two is something that couldn't be envisaged in the late 70s/early 80s. I am now starting to think I could see my days out with Rochdale still being a Football League Club, it's now all worth it.

NOT buying a season ticket because we are happy to consolidate in league one is being disrespectful to the past and those that kept the club alive during its darkest days. Think about the fighting fund days and those who manned the tea stalls , then open your wallet and buy a ticket!!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2015 18:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Targets for next season on 18:43 - Apr 19 with 3583 viewsdalenumber2

I was wondering a few months ago whether or not I would buy a season ticket for next season (my circumstances have changed meaning that I now attend many matches on my own and it's not as much fun when you can't have a chat with someone during the game). However I am definitely going to buy one as I think we are really able to compete in this division and next season looks very attractive with potentially more local teams and the prospect of Hill developing an even more competitive squad. I am not bothered about getting promoted really but look forward to another entertaining season in which we can compete for a top half finish.
Targets for next season on 18:45 - Apr 19 with 3552 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Targets for next season on 18:01 - Apr 19 by TalkingSutty

Agree, consolidation and waiting for things is something that the younger generation in particular don't really grasp. Its a 'want it now' society and it doesn't matter how much it costs.

I don't think the Championship will ever be a place for us, but if the opportunity ever presents itself again lets spend a few quid at the right time, and as a club everybody give 100% to make it happen. Lets not die wondering. Where Chesterfield that much better than us??

Do you not think that you may be wanting the best of both worlds here. On the one hand, we rightly hold our 'live with our means' policy as a sustainable model for football especially when lecturing our near neighbours and writing critical posts about Notts County etc. Absolutely agree 100% with all of that. However, what does a policy of living with your means really mean? It must surely be a policy of not speculating. Not spending for the sole purpose of trying to chase an immediate dream etc. Not giving into the temptation of thinking that If we just relax the purse strings this once then we might just get to the promised land! Why jettison an extremely successful policy to try and obtain success?
We seem to follow a strategy of fiscal prudence combined with selling the club to players as a conveyor belt to higher leagues and bigger clubs. With regards to the latter, we can't then bemoan the fact that the strategy works a treat and a big club comes in for a player. We can't compete wage wise so to get players here we have to give them the incentive of a bigger move. The example of Matty Done moving to Sheffield United will probably be used to attract the next Matty Done.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Targets for next season on 18:52 - Apr 19 with 3547 views442Dale

Targets for next season on 18:45 - Apr 19 by BigDaveMyCock

Do you not think that you may be wanting the best of both worlds here. On the one hand, we rightly hold our 'live with our means' policy as a sustainable model for football especially when lecturing our near neighbours and writing critical posts about Notts County etc. Absolutely agree 100% with all of that. However, what does a policy of living with your means really mean? It must surely be a policy of not speculating. Not spending for the sole purpose of trying to chase an immediate dream etc. Not giving into the temptation of thinking that If we just relax the purse strings this once then we might just get to the promised land! Why jettison an extremely successful policy to try and obtain success?
We seem to follow a strategy of fiscal prudence combined with selling the club to players as a conveyor belt to higher leagues and bigger clubs. With regards to the latter, we can't then bemoan the fact that the strategy works a treat and a big club comes in for a player. We can't compete wage wise so to get players here we have to give them the incentive of a bigger move. The example of Matty Done moving to Sheffield United will probably be used to attract the next Matty Done.

Or Matty Done himself if he spends another half a season in and out of a team who aren't that great.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Targets for next season on 19:31 - Apr 19 with 3449 viewsD_Alien

Targets for next season on 18:33 - Apr 19 by TalkingSutty

I am now guaranteed to see us play 4 seasons in league one, i never thought I would see us play one season never mind four. For a long time it was just a matter of waiting for the axe to fall and a lifetime of non league or even extinction.

A lifetime in league one or even league two is something that couldn't be envisaged in the late 70s/early 80s. I am now starting to think I could see my days out with Rochdale still being a Football League Club, it's now all worth it.

NOT buying a season ticket because we are happy to consolidate in league one is being disrespectful to the past and those that kept the club alive during its darkest days. Think about the fighting fund days and those who manned the tea stalls , then open your wallet and buy a ticket!!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2015 18:34]

Unless I'm very much mistaken the posters who said they wanted to see the targets for next season are of the generation who will know exactly what happened during the 70s & 80s, which makes it all the more mystifying.

I demand to know why they feel #D'alienated

Targets for next season on 19:53 - Apr 19 with 3368 viewsAtThePeake

Our target will be to win each game as it comes.

You buy a season ticket not knowing what's going to happen. We might win every game and win the league. It might not come off or we might lose every game and finish bottom of the league. That's football. Asking the club to tell the fans what it's target is for the season is a silly demand.

Tangled up in blue.

Targets for next season on 20:34 - Apr 19 with 3268 viewsDaley_Lama

If we don't get Europe in 2016/2017 I for one will be purchasing a Man City season ticket.

Poll: DF in or out

Targets for next season on 20:38 - Apr 19 with 3246 viewsRoChDaLe

I'll be very annoyed if we don't follow suit with others and spend well beyond our means on players and target the Premier League in the next two years and if it fails we'll go bankrupt. Oh no wait.. we're not bury... and not daft either.

how is anthony elding still in league one?

Targets for next season on 20:55 - Apr 19 with 3192 viewsColDale

I know its common sense, but It's entirely feasible that next season could be a step backwards. The closest we've come to such as season under Hill is when we went from 5th in League Two to 6th in League Two.

League One can be an unforgiving league at times, and the gap between success and failure is incredibly close. Had Oldham not done the double over us, they'd be right in the mire and I'd have never dreamt Leyton Orient might be dropping down when I watched them play so well in the Play Offs last year.

It worries me whether after being force fed success for ten years that our support would support a backward step, when that right to "tolerate" a backward step has been earned a thousand times over.
Targets for next season on 22:07 - Apr 19 with 3042 viewsDaleiLama

What next, a money back guarantee?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Targets for next season on 23:50 - Apr 19 with 2914 viewsBobbyjoe

Targets for next season on 20:55 - Apr 19 by ColDale

I know its common sense, but It's entirely feasible that next season could be a step backwards. The closest we've come to such as season under Hill is when we went from 5th in League Two to 6th in League Two.

League One can be an unforgiving league at times, and the gap between success and failure is incredibly close. Had Oldham not done the double over us, they'd be right in the mire and I'd have never dreamt Leyton Orient might be dropping down when I watched them play so well in the Play Offs last year.

It worries me whether after being force fed success for ten years that our support would support a backward step, when that right to "tolerate" a backward step has been earned a thousand times over.

History teaches us that this season will prove to be the high-water mark. Next season will be a massive challenge for Hill or his successor, making the decision to let Done go the greatest "what if" in the club's history.
Targets for next season on 00:37 - Apr 20 with 2872 viewspioneer

Targets for next season on 19:31 - Apr 19 by D_Alien

Unless I'm very much mistaken the posters who said they wanted to see the targets for next season are of the generation who will know exactly what happened during the 70s & 80s, which makes it all the more mystifying.

I demand to know why they feel #D'alienated

what i found diapppointing was when we were in a position to challenge for better things, and i still think we are, there was nothing coming from the chairman or the board to either whip up support or indicate they were going to pull out all the stops for taking us where we have never been before. Instaed they sold assets at a time when therewas no possibility of reinvesting in the team.

All in all they were scared of the prospect of us going up. Do they believe we will be in a better position to go up next year or do they aspire to another season of consolidation? Are they going to sell at the first decent offer they receive for anyone on the playing staff or are they instead looking to strengthen the squad. Do they dream of going places where no Rochdale team has been before or are they content with what they have got. That all I ask . . . it might be years before we ever get another manager with the footballing nouse of Hilly...not to back him when the opportunity is there is a clear staement of their lack of fotballing ambition.

So as part of a season ticket drive lets hear from the Chairman. Whats the goal and what is the plan for reaching that goal.
Targets for next season on 09:15 - Apr 20 with 2701 viewsDaleiLama

Targets for next season on 23:50 - Apr 19 by Bobbyjoe

History teaches us that this season will prove to be the high-water mark. Next season will be a massive challenge for Hill or his successor, making the decision to let Done go the greatest "what if" in the club's history.

Hmmm. I would argue history teaches us what happened in the past. It may provide invaluable lessons for the future, but is probably not a predictor of future performance in most instances.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Targets for next season on 09:20 - Apr 20 with 2685 viewsParkinsGimp

Targets for next season on 17:53 - Apr 19 by 442Dale

What we have to be wary of is thinking we can push on and make a real challenge for promotion. I'd be happy with another season like this one, where's there a chance of the top six if we can put decent runs together at various times during the season.

If the rest of the club really starts catching up with what we see out on the pitch and we have a few hundred more regulars, top half will be fine.

We still need to invest in better players next season just to survive. I think it will be tougher next season , I would be happy with mid table no worries , if the opposition increase their quality that is.....
Targets for next season on 10:06 - Apr 20 with 2612 viewsaleanddale

Agree next season will be a good achievement to stay in midtable.

in 100+ years of history when was the last time we played 3 consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier of English football?.

Need to remember that this is a longer term project but with one or two astute additions I think Hilly will deliver yet another amazing season!!
Targets for next season on 10:57 - Apr 20 with 2549 viewsTalkingSutty

Targets for next season on 10:06 - Apr 20 by aleanddale

in 100+ years of history when was the last time we played 3 consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier of English football?.

Need to remember that this is a longer term project but with one or two astute additions I think Hilly will deliver yet another amazing season!!

Get Logan back, a decent Centre half and another goalscorer and i can see us challenging for the play offs again. That's if we retain our best players.

Having said that, look what's happened to Orient this season. We aren't far off and with Lund back to full fitness and Allen, Cannon, Tanser only getting better we are well capable of holding our own in league one next season. Constantly improving the squad is key though.
Targets for next season on 12:34 - Apr 20 with 2445 viewsD_Alien

Targets for next season on 10:06 - Apr 20 by aleanddale

Well, we stayed in the third tier from 1969 to 1974 (5 seasons) but then finished rock bottom in the most abysmal season in the club's history - worse even than when we finished bottom of the 4th tier in terms of how it felt and much worse than when we finished bottom under Eyre/Coleman.

But fair play to pioneer for replying and whilst every single one of us gets the points he's making, I maintain that his conclusion is wrong. For one thing, the club are embroiled in the stadium issue, pending which all bets are off in terms of the future. Secondly, the club have appointed a new marketing person with what appears to be an extended remit, if not as extensive as some of us would like to see. Thirdly, the board will know that the only realistic prospect of retaining the services of KH is if they start to match his ambitions. If they didn't, I'm sure he'd be looking to move on again. There must be some pretty intensive discussions between the manager and key board members at times to ensure they're all singing from the same hymnsheet (in a church heated by Dunphy, of course). If KH stays longer term, we'll make the championship, of that I have little doubt.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2015 12:40]

Targets for next season on 13:26 - Apr 20 with 2359 viewspioneer

Targets for next season on 12:34 - Apr 20 by D_Alien

Well, we stayed in the third tier from 1969 to 1974 (5 seasons) but then finished rock bottom in the most abysmal season in the club's history - worse even than when we finished bottom of the 4th tier in terms of how it felt and much worse than when we finished bottom under Eyre/Coleman.

But fair play to pioneer for replying and whilst every single one of us gets the points he's making, I maintain that his conclusion is wrong. For one thing, the club are embroiled in the stadium issue, pending which all bets are off in terms of the future. Secondly, the club have appointed a new marketing person with what appears to be an extended remit, if not as extensive as some of us would like to see. Thirdly, the board will know that the only realistic prospect of retaining the services of KH is if they start to match his ambitions. If they didn't, I'm sure he'd be looking to move on again. There must be some pretty intensive discussions between the manager and key board members at times to ensure they're all singing from the same hymnsheet (in a church heated by Dunphy, of course). If KH stays longer term, we'll make the championship, of that I have little doubt.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2015 12:40]

Just to clarify, I dont expect us to get promotion next year, and I wont consider it failure if we dont, but I expect us to have that as a goal/ambition and for reasonable plans (not financially irresponsible ones) to support the manager in pursuing that.

And if we really are insistent on not being ready to go up - then lets get in the play offs, make more money and lose in the play off final!

And oh that 1973-4 season - so many parallels with the year of Eyre. Manager who had kept us in the division reasonably comfortably for 4 seasons and even scaled the heights of reaching top spot on occasion, left at the end of the previous season (fired) and a manager was appointed from a neighbouring youth team who just didnt have a clue.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024