Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill interview on GMR 20:18 - Apr 25 with 24934 viewsrafc1984

Listened to it earlier, and he said that he won't be at the Barnsley match as it's a dead rubber, and he's off on holiday on Monday. Said there was no point rattling there cages. He seemed quite hacked off at the poor defending today, said players failed to do what they had spoke about this week.
Hill interview on GMR on 20:41 - Apr 27 with 4029 viewssandylaner1

of course he'll be there
Hill interview on GMR on 21:11 - Apr 27 with 3927 viewsWhiteyBFC

Hill interview on GMR on 17:39 - Apr 27 by dingdangblue

Lets hope for Lee Johnson's sake that he gets a decent go at it , seems a decent enough bloke and had Oldham playing the right way, needs to build something rather than rely on loaning players - gets you nowhere in the long run. The question is will Barnsley give him time if it doesn't happen immediately? Fancy Hill, Flicker and Mellon having decent success elsewhere!

I'm not surprised Keith has had more success with Rochdale. I think he's a very good manager, and I know second hand that he's an amazing coach. Even Bobby Hassell told me he's the best training ground coach he came across in his career.

Flicker isn't surprising me either, you don't pull off what he did with us in the first half of 2013 if you're no good at something. And he's had terrific backing from his board for L2 level. I can see them being very competitive next season if/when they come up. Just a shame their supporters wanted him out before Xmas..

And Mellon was unlucky not to get the job here. 4 points from 9 he got, and had plenty of supporters on our forum. I'd have given it him til the end of that season. Again, achieved a fair amount of success previously at that level. I hope to be welcoming both he and Flicker back to Oakwell next season. I would hope Flicker wouldn't copy Keith and not show up, because he'll get a terrific reception and deservedly so.

LJ won't get the necessary time. He has to get results, and start very well next season. Something he told me last Friday. But not a surprise considering our board's renowned lack of patience. I hope he gets it right because I like the bloke.
Hill interview on GMR on 21:36 - Apr 27 with 3854 viewstazzydjr

Hill interview on GMR on 21:11 - Apr 27 by WhiteyBFC

I'm not surprised Keith has had more success with Rochdale. I think he's a very good manager, and I know second hand that he's an amazing coach. Even Bobby Hassell told me he's the best training ground coach he came across in his career.

Flicker isn't surprising me either, you don't pull off what he did with us in the first half of 2013 if you're no good at something. And he's had terrific backing from his board for L2 level. I can see them being very competitive next season if/when they come up. Just a shame their supporters wanted him out before Xmas..

And Mellon was unlucky not to get the job here. 4 points from 9 he got, and had plenty of supporters on our forum. I'd have given it him til the end of that season. Again, achieved a fair amount of success previously at that level. I hope to be welcoming both he and Flicker back to Oakwell next season. I would hope Flicker wouldn't copy Keith and not show up, because he'll get a terrific reception and deservedly so.

LJ won't get the necessary time. He has to get results, and start very well next season. Something he told me last Friday. But not a surprise considering our board's renowned lack of patience. I hope he gets it right because I like the bloke.

Must be costing Barnsley more in Managers/Manager Compensation than Players wages at Oakwell
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 21:39]

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Hill interview on GMR on 22:23 - Apr 27 with 3750 viewsR17ALE

off topic slightly Whitey, but the elephant in the room is that Barnsley are amongst the likes of Doncaster and Rotherham in status. Medium South Yorkshire clubs.

The Sheffield clubs will always eclipse you.

It's the same as us saying we're in the bury status* and will never eclipse the Manc clubs.

Or Oldham.

*to be remedied next season after they've won at Wembley!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Hill interview on GMR on 23:07 - Apr 27 with 3643 viewsdingdangblue

What if you don't make at least the play offs next season ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hill interview on GMR on 19:56 - Apr 28 with 3315 viewsWhiteyBFC

Hill interview on GMR on 22:23 - Apr 27 by R17ALE

off topic slightly Whitey, but the elephant in the room is that Barnsley are amongst the likes of Doncaster and Rotherham in status. Medium South Yorkshire clubs.

The Sheffield clubs will always eclipse you.

It's the same as us saying we're in the bury status* and will never eclipse the Manc clubs.

Or Oldham.

*to be remedied next season after they've won at Wembley!

You're comparing us with Rotherham and Doncaster? Blummin' eck.

I accept they've had a few years in the second tier in the last decade, but before that? Can't be arsed educating you on this, so here's three graphs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_United_F.C.#/media/File:RotherhamUnitedFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_F.C.#/media/File:Barnsley_FC_League_Perfor

If you're referring to stadium size, Rotherham's holds just over 12,000, Donny's 15,000 and ours 23,000. In terms of historical average attendance, Rotherham average just under 6,000, Donny just under 7,000 and ourselves around 10,500. In terms of population, there are around 230,000 people living in the Barnsley area, 255,000 in Rotherham and just under 300,000 in Doncaster.

So whilst yes, they're similar sized towns (slightly bigger actually) they don't have as many supporters. Their stadiums are smaller (but newer). They've not fared as well in league competition and they've not won a major trophy. Our record gate is over 40,000, theirs aren't. We produced Tommy Taylor, Mick McCarthy, David Hirst and John Stones. They gave us the Chuckle Brothers.

I wasn't going to educate you, but you know what I'm like.

Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United are Yorkshire's biggest clubs. Then Sheffield United. No doubt about that. But other than higher gates (which I put mostly down to their city and its huge population) the two Sheffield clubs have done nothing more than we have for the last 20 years. So aye, they're historically bigger. And Leeds themselves have done nothing we haven't since our relegations from the top flight.

To compare us to Rotherham and Doncaster is unfair. I see the former as a bit of a rival club, but I'd suggest ourselves and Bradford are the better comparison. Donny are just an irrelevance. They're in the south of the county with us, there ends the comparison.

I'm quite proud of the 'little old Barnsley' tag. Even Keith used it bless him. But we're not really, are we? In most 'biggest clubs in England' articles, we're usually ranked between 35th and 45th. So, mid table second tier at best or top of the third tier at worst. Medium sized you said? Yep.

But Donny and Rotherham hold the 'same status'?? No. Sorry.

Good debate though.
Hill interview on GMR on 20:16 - Apr 28 with 3277 viewsTalkingSutty

Hill interview on GMR on 19:56 - Apr 28 by WhiteyBFC

I accept they've had a few years in the second tier in the last decade, but before that? Can't be arsed educating you on this, so here's three graphs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_United_F.C.#/media/File:RotherhamUnitedFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_F.C.#/media/File:Barnsley_FC_League_Perfor

If you're referring to stadium size, Rotherham's holds just over 12,000, Donny's 15,000 and ours 23,000. In terms of historical average attendance, Rotherham average just under 6,000, Donny just under 7,000 and ourselves around 10,500. In terms of population, there are around 230,000 people living in the Barnsley area, 255,000 in Rotherham and just under 300,000 in Doncaster.

So whilst yes, they're similar sized towns (slightly bigger actually) they don't have as many supporters. Their stadiums are smaller (but newer). They've not fared as well in league competition and they've not won a major trophy. Our record gate is over 40,000, theirs aren't. We produced Tommy Taylor, Mick McCarthy, David Hirst and John Stones. They gave us the Chuckle Brothers.

Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United are Yorkshire's biggest clubs. Then Sheffield United. No doubt about that. But other than higher gates (which I put mostly down to their city and its huge population) the two Sheffield clubs have done nothing more than we have for the last 20 years. So aye, they're historically bigger. And Leeds themselves have done nothing we haven't since our relegations from the top flight.

To compare us to Rotherham and Doncaster is unfair. I see the former as a bit of a rival club, but I'd suggest ourselves and Bradford are the better comparison. Donny are just an irrelevance. They're in the south of the county with us, there ends the comparison.

I'm quite proud of the 'little old Barnsley' tag. Even Keith used it bless him. But we're not really, are we? In most 'biggest clubs in England' articles, we're usually ranked between 35th and 45th. So, mid table second tier at best or top of the third tier at worst. Medium sized you said? Yep.

Good debate though.

Good explanation. Doncaster nearly went out of existence not long ago. Rotherham, well they landed on their feet with the owner, take him away and they would still be in league two and attracting crowds of 3500.

Barnsley are a traditional club with good support, a similar club to Burnley and Preston in my eyes. Fourth in the pecking order over the hill because Bradfords crowds have been distorted with ridiculously low season ticket prices.
Hill interview on GMR on 20:25 - Apr 28 with 3255 viewsJimmyRustler

Hill interview on GMR on 19:56 - Apr 28 by WhiteyBFC

Good debate though.

Bradford are a bigger club than Barnsley without a doubt.

You're closer to Doncaster and Rotheram than you are to those nobheads.

That was a very interesting read btw. Have you ever considered following those Scouse tossers who play at Anfield cause all they do is harp on about the past?

If we can talk about the present for a moment, Rotheram are currently a bigger/better club than you because they're playing at a higher level. You are however currently a bigger club than Doncaster because you're one point above them in the third tier of English football.

BYE.
Login to get fewer ads

Hill interview on GMR on 22:02 - Apr 28 with 3173 viewsWhiteyBFC

Hill interview on GMR on 20:25 - Apr 28 by JimmyRustler

Bradford are a bigger club than Barnsley without a doubt.

You're closer to Doncaster and Rotheram than you are to those nobheads.

That was a very interesting read btw. Have you ever considered following those Scouse tossers who play at Anfield cause all they do is harp on about the past?

If we can talk about the present for a moment, Rotheram are currently a bigger/better club than you because they're playing at a higher level. You are however currently a bigger club than Doncaster because you're one point above them in the third tier of English football.

BYE.

It doesn't work like that though does it?

Genoa are going to finish above Milan this season, doesn't make them a bigger club.

Dundee are a division above Rangers. You are a division above Pompey, soon to be two above Tranmere, but both are bigger clubs than Rochdale.

As I said, Bradford are a fairer comparison.

And there's nothing wrong with looking back on your past. What would we all be without memories and past events? If you didn't look back on your past (Rochdale AFC I mean) then your current achievements wouldn't look as special.

Congratulations to Rotherham though.
Hill interview on GMR on 23:16 - Apr 28 with 3075 viewsBobbyjoe

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Hill interview on GMR on 23:18 - Apr 28 with 3075 viewsdingdangblue

Hill interview on GMR on 22:02 - Apr 28 by WhiteyBFC

It doesn't work like that though does it?

Genoa are going to finish above Milan this season, doesn't make them a bigger club.

Dundee are a division above Rangers. You are a division above Pompey, soon to be two above Tranmere, but both are bigger clubs than Rochdale.

As I said, Bradford are a fairer comparison.

And there's nothing wrong with looking back on your past. What would we all be without memories and past events? If you didn't look back on your past (Rochdale AFC I mean) then your current achievements wouldn't look as special.

Congratulations to Rotherham though.

Cmon - our current achievements (this season) stand alone as being terrific even without our shite past. Lowest crowds in the division, lowest budget, sold our top scorer in Jan yet still might possibly finish the highest position outside the playoffs and 70+ goals as well as unearthing 2 or 3 new gems from our Youth Team. Pretty Special in my eyes.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hill interview on GMR on 23:47 - Apr 28 with 3042 viewsTVOS1907

Hill interview on GMR on 23:18 - Apr 28 by dingdangblue

Cmon - our current achievements (this season) stand alone as being terrific even without our shite past. Lowest crowds in the division, lowest budget, sold our top scorer in Jan yet still might possibly finish the highest position outside the playoffs and 70+ goals as well as unearthing 2 or 3 new gems from our Youth Team. Pretty Special in my eyes.

Crawley's crowds are lower than ours.

Agree with the rest, though.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hill interview on GMR on 15:05 - Apr 29 with 2831 viewsdingdangblue

Hill interview on GMR on 23:47 - Apr 28 by TVOS1907

Crawley's crowds are lower than ours.

Agree with the rest, though.

Are our 'home' crowd the lowest in the division? Not accounting for away fans. I don't imagine Crawley being able to accommodate 3000 away fans which we have for a couple of visitors (Preston and Oldham). Is this worked out by anyone?

Hill interview on GMR on 16:53 - Apr 29 with 2748 viewsfermin

Hill interview on GMR on 15:05 - Apr 29 by dingdangblue

Are our 'home' crowd the lowest in the division? Not accounting for away fans. I don't imagine Crawley being able to accommodate 3000 away fans which we have for a couple of visitors (Preston and Oldham). Is this worked out by anyone?

Using the table on this link http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/league-1-away-support-thread the average number of away fans at Crawley is 446 (Coventry still to visit) and at Dale is 805. Of course the Dale figure is far too low as the number of Oldham fans given is out by a factor of three or four obviously.

This link http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=489 gives the average home attendance as 2571 (Crawley) and 3309 (Dale).

Subtracting one from the other gives 2125 (Crawley) and 2504 (Dale) home fans. I haven't bothered looking at the others.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2015 16:54]
Hill interview on GMR on 21:20 - Apr 29 with 2495 viewsTVOS1907

Hill interview on GMR on 15:05 - Apr 29 by dingdangblue

What fermin said.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hill interview on GMR on 22:09 - Apr 29 with 2407 viewsWhiteyBFC

Hill interview on GMR on 23:18 - Apr 28 by dingdangblue

Bog standard.

See you Sunday. Not literally. Unless Tazzy or 442 are bringing thi.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024