Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New England head coach 14:21 - May 26 with 846 viewsD_Alien

As widely predicted yesterday, Trevor Bayliss has been named as the new head coach.

On the Lord's test thread yesterday I expressed doubts about an Aussie taking over this role just before an Ashes series.

Now that more details have emerged, I've got fewer reservations. For a start, his assistant during the success he had with Sri Lanka is Paul Farbrace, and it looks like their partnership is set to continue. Farbrace deserves to be part of the setup and is widely credited with moving Stokes to 6 in the batting lineup and giving him the confidence to play his natural game - which changed the test in England's favour with both bat and ball.

In addition, Bayliss isn't a former Aussie test player - and it's that which I'd have had greatest reservations about. I just don't see how a former test player could pitch himself into a series against a side he's got a personal attachment to, however much he'd moved on from there. I know former English test players have coached sides against us in the past (Bob Woolmer springs to mind) but somehow the Aussies are different - that's why they're our greatest rivals.

Hopefully, Bayliss can re-invigorate our one day and T20 teams - that seems to be his speciality - whilst allowing the development of the full test squad to continue; I reckon we're already moving in the right direction on that front.

[Post edited 26 May 2015 14:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New England head coach on 14:46 - May 26 with 802 views49thseason

Personally I think he's a bit past it but maybe everyone will get one of those wind-up radio gizmos as an incentive to score runs or take wickets?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024