Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of the CLL as we know it? 09:23 - May 29 with 9171 viewsColDale

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/cricket/heywood-cll-saddleworth-lea

No idea if there's money being thrown at this, but looking at the teams signed up, Heywood seem significantly bigger than many of the others so it seems an odd choice to throw away nearly 125 years of tradition. They're not exactly going to be filling the bars when playing Whalley Range.

This post has been edited by an administrator
End of the CLL as we know it? on 16:38 - May 29 with 6220 viewsRockerdale97

Heywood have moved because of one man who turns out to be their best batsman. I can see the CLL folding in a couple of years, with a few of the bigger clubs left leavign to join Lancashire League. Such a shame
End of the CLL as we know it? on 18:57 - May 29 with 6125 viewsflyerdale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 16:38 - May 29 by Rockerdale97

Heywood have moved because of one man who turns out to be their best batsman. I can see the CLL folding in a couple of years, with a few of the bigger clubs left leavign to join Lancashire League. Such a shame

Rochdale and Little borough are the only ones to commit to the CLL so far but most are following suit. There's talk of the CLL merging with the Saddleworth league
End of the CLL as we know it? on 20:37 - May 29 with 6050 viewsflyerdale

Clifton have left the league now, no great loss
End of the CLL as we know it? on 07:21 - Jun 2 with 5651 viewsaleanddale

CLL needed something different.

The greater manchester league eventually could be 64 or more clubs battling for promotion and relegation in say 4 divisions of 16.

The problem with the CLL is ultimately it's boring with 2 divisions of 8 clubs playing the same side possibly 6 times a season.

Something had to change.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 08:33 - Jun 2 with 5610 viewsflyerdale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 07:21 - Jun 2 by aleanddale

CLL needed something different.

The greater manchester league eventually could be 64 or more clubs battling for promotion and relegation in say 4 divisions of 16.

The problem with the CLL is ultimately it's boring with 2 divisions of 8 clubs playing the same side possibly 6 times a season.

Something had to change.

The trouble is an awful lot of the sides that have joined this new league are tinpot, shed on a field clubs who will be totally out of place amongst the big CLL clubs etc. There's nothing to be gaining playing them especially with the travelling costs to places like glossop.

The future of the CLL might hang in the balance at the moment but I'd expect at least one division of teams to be competing like in the good old days before the two tier system.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:02 - Jun 2 with 5569 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 08:33 - Jun 2 by flyerdale

The trouble is an awful lot of the sides that have joined this new league are tinpot, shed on a field clubs who will be totally out of place amongst the big CLL clubs etc. There's nothing to be gaining playing them especially with the travelling costs to places like glossop.

The future of the CLL might hang in the balance at the moment but I'd expect at least one division of teams to be competing like in the good old days before the two tier system.

The tinpot teams wont be placed in the same division as the bigger teams though, the whole point of the new structure is to place teams in a league with other teams who are a similar standard, increasing the competition.

The big CLL teams such as Heywood are likely to be in the Premier League, along with the best from other leagues. And Rochdale Catholic Club, Fothergill and Harvey etc will be towards the bottom of the pyramid (maybe in a league with some of the CLL 2nd/3rd teams).

Notice you mentioned Glossop, I'm sure any serious cricketer would love playing there, despite the travelling. The facilities are superb and the wickets they produce are county standard, hence the reason Derbyshire 2nds regularly play there.

Cricket in the area has been crying out for this change for years IMO, it has worked well in other regions, its a shame some good clubs aren't going to be part of it.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:13 - Jun 2 with 5551 viewsdownunder

End of the CLL as we know it? on 08:33 - Jun 2 by flyerdale

A Shed.
You were lucky. Crompton St. Marys used to have a cardboard box.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:26 - Jun 2 with 5535 viewsD_Alien

End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:13 - Jun 2 by downunder

A Shed.
You were lucky. Crompton St. Marys used to have a cardboard box.

That's not much protection against a beamer in the knackers.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

End of the CLL as we know it? on 16:02 - Jun 2 with 5383 viewsmingthemerciless

That's what that funny shaped piece of wood in your hands is for.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 16:08 - Jun 2 with 5371 viewsD_Alien

End of the CLL as we know it? on 16:02 - Jun 2 by mingthemerciless

That's what that funny shaped piece of wood in your hands is for.

When I turned out for Catholic Club 2nds many years ago, I heard the opposition had a demon bowler, so I turned up with a crucifix. Is that what you mean?

[Post edited 2 Jun 2015 16:09]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

End of the CLL as we know it? on 22:23 - Jun 2 with 5254 viewsflyerdale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:02 - Jun 2 by Rochdale_Matt

The tinpot teams wont be placed in the same division as the bigger teams though, the whole point of the new structure is to place teams in a league with other teams who are a similar standard, increasing the competition.

The big CLL teams such as Heywood are likely to be in the Premier League, along with the best from other leagues. And Rochdale Catholic Club, Fothergill and Harvey etc will be towards the bottom of the pyramid (maybe in a league with some of the CLL 2nd/3rd teams).

Notice you mentioned Glossop, I'm sure any serious cricketer would love playing there, despite the travelling. The facilities are superb and the wickets they produce are county standard, hence the reason Derbyshire 2nds regularly play there.

Cricket in the area has been crying out for this change for years IMO, it has worked well in other regions, its a shame some good clubs aren't going to be part of it.

Those clubs staying in the CLL Rochdale, Litttle borough and Milnrow (so far) don't want to throw over 100 years of history away at a whim. The grand league that it is doesn't deserve to be thrown in with the likes of the gm league at its top level. You won't see the Lancashire league teams contemplating such a move.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 08:23 - Jun 3 with 5186 viewsaleanddale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:02 - Jun 2 by Rochdale_Matt

Exactly this..

Something had to change it would work even better if all the CLL big guns made the move

80 teams in 5 divisions would be ideal.

The cream would rise and the quality of cricket would improve.

Supporters would be happy to with a breath of fresh air shaking up the fixture list!!

The 1st division ( premier league?? ) would include 16 very good sides and even the 2nd division would be a very good standard of cricket.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2015 11:38]
End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:40 - Jun 3 with 5149 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 22:23 - Jun 2 by flyerdale

Those clubs staying in the CLL Rochdale, Litttle borough and Milnrow (so far) don't want to throw over 100 years of history away at a whim. The grand league that it is doesn't deserve to be thrown in with the likes of the gm league at its top level. You won't see the Lancashire league teams contemplating such a move.

Lancashire League was never invited to apply to join the GMCL as it isn't classed as a Greater Manchester League.

It appears the CLL will have to merge with another league (looking like Saddleworth and District) anyway so the history argument is daft IMO. Its about time these clubs looked forward instead of back, but that's their decision at the end of the day.

And there are some good clubs with a decent standard of player that aren't in the CLL. The league I am associated with have beaten the CLL in the inter-league games a few times recently. There is life outside the CLL!
End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:43 - Jun 3 with 5143 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 08:23 - Jun 3 by aleanddale

Exactly this..

Something had to change it would work even better if all the CLL big guns made the move

80 teams in 5 divisions would be ideal.

The cream would rise and the quality of cricket would improve.

Supporters would be happy to with a breath of fresh air shaking up the fixture list!!

The 1st division ( premier league?? ) would include 16 very good sides and even the 2nd division would be a very good standard of cricket.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2015 11:38]

Spot on, time will tell but the remaining CLL teams may well regret not joining if the GMCL really takes off.

Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to apply, should they want to, in a few years time. And would they start at the bottom of the pyramid?
End of the CLL as we know it? on 11:45 - Jun 3 with 5096 viewsaleanddale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 10:43 - Jun 3 by Rochdale_Matt

Spot on, time will tell but the remaining CLL teams may well regret not joining if the GMCL really takes off.

Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to apply, should they want to, in a few years time. And would they start at the bottom of the pyramid?

I am in the anything different has to be better...

The CLL has been floundering for a few seasons now and the structure flawed.

I don't Blaim the CLL for trying the 2 division experiment but it just has not worked.

2 x 8 team divisions is pretty poor completion.

80 teams -5 divisions

Or 96 teams in 6. That's the future!!

I would hope that rochdale and littleborough see the bigger picture and join.

If they do decide retrospectively to join GMCL I have no idea where they would start - some common sense would have to prevail.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 13:40 - Jun 3 with 5049 viewsflyerdale

There's a chance the Saddleworth League is going to merge with the CLL which will mean more teams for a two tier league system. One of the main reasons for splitting into two leagues was to give the players a bit of family time at weekends plus allowing for blank dates in case of incliment weather such as hit the first round of the wood cup last weekend.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 13:47 - Jun 3 with 5044 viewsflyerdale

To be fair Matt your not involved in the CLL where tradition is looked upon rather fondly. That history and tradition shouldn't be given up easily which is why clubs like Littleborough, Rochdale and Milnrow are sticking to their guns to lead the way in protecting the legacy of such players as Garfield Sobers and the many top class cricketers which have graced the league.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 14:06 - Jun 3 with 5026 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 13:47 - Jun 3 by flyerdale

To be fair Matt your not involved in the CLL where tradition is looked upon rather fondly. That history and tradition shouldn't be given up easily which is why clubs like Littleborough, Rochdale and Milnrow are sticking to their guns to lead the way in protecting the legacy of such players as Garfield Sobers and the many top class cricketers which have graced the league.

And that's fair enough if that's how they see it and are happy to carry on being more interested in the past rather than the future.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 14:52 - Jun 3 with 5000 viewsaleanddale

End of the CLL as we know it? on 13:47 - Jun 3 by flyerdale

A thriving CLL would have been great... Should have merged years ago.

I admire your loyalty to a fine upstanding league but cricket was being played in front of 2 oap and a jack russel such was the apathy.

New blood might just work and I think time us now for such a change,
End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:12 - Jun 3 with 4979 viewsRockerdale97

End of the CLL as we know it? on 11:45 - Jun 3 by aleanddale

I am in the anything different has to be better...

The CLL has been floundering for a few seasons now and the structure flawed.

I don't Blaim the CLL for trying the 2 division experiment but it just has not worked.

2 x 8 team divisions is pretty poor completion.

80 teams -5 divisions

Or 96 teams in 6. That's the future!!

I would hope that rochdale and littleborough see the bigger picture and join.

If they do decide retrospectively to join GMCL I have no idea where they would start - some common sense would have to prevail.

Rochdale see no benefit in joining this league and wont be changing their decision . You are going in blind could be playing in a division worst to the standard of the CLL now. Whats the point in it? It would be great if we could expand the CLL with good teams such as Saddleworth.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:27 - Jun 3 with 4967 viewsrollo

Mixed feelings on this.

The Cll needed change but it would have been better had some sort of merge with the lancashire league taken place.

The GMCL is a huge gamble, you could argue that 75% and above of the current cll would end up competing in the top divisions of the gmcl if they were all to go, so the gamble by some to leave so early could mean they are left playing an even worse standard although with more teams/ divisions if more dont follow.

Then there is travelling to consider alongside the gmcl proposal being a 'professional' league - therefore an open league.

It will be interesting if heywood stick to their promise of providing youngsters the best standard of cricket or if they ditch that when every one else is paying a few quid to be higher up the gmcl system

The knock on affect of some clubs leaving so early before all the cards have been dealt could be detrimental to all leagues for sometime.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:37 - Jun 3 with 4947 viewsWalboro

Top team Walsden have also now agreed to stay in the CLL.I have also heard that Unsworth could be the latest club to jump ship so no loss there.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:40 - Jun 3 with 4942 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:12 - Jun 3 by Rockerdale97

Rochdale see no benefit in joining this league and wont be changing their decision . You are going in blind could be playing in a division worst to the standard of the CLL now. Whats the point in it? It would be great if we could expand the CLL with good teams such as Saddleworth.

May be so for the first year, but with the promotion/relegation clubs will soon find their natural level.

The more I think about it, the more I can't understand, history aside, why the likes of Rochdale, Littleborough aren't joining. I even heard first hand from an ex-player that most Rochdale players were sick of playing the same teams up to 6 times a season including cups, which if true would surely mean players would move from the CLL to GMCL clubs anyway?

They could be involved in a competitive 16 team league against the best teams in Greater Manchester. If that's not a benefit I don't know what is?

Is it purely down to history that these clubs aren't joining??
End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:55 - Jun 3 with 4926 viewsRochdale_Matt

End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:27 - Jun 3 by rollo

Mixed feelings on this.

The Cll needed change but it would have been better had some sort of merge with the lancashire league taken place.

The GMCL is a huge gamble, you could argue that 75% and above of the current cll would end up competing in the top divisions of the gmcl if they were all to go, so the gamble by some to leave so early could mean they are left playing an even worse standard although with more teams/ divisions if more dont follow.

Then there is travelling to consider alongside the gmcl proposal being a 'professional' league - therefore an open league.

It will be interesting if heywood stick to their promise of providing youngsters the best standard of cricket or if they ditch that when every one else is paying a few quid to be higher up the gmcl system

The knock on affect of some clubs leaving so early before all the cards have been dealt could be detrimental to all leagues for sometime.

Not sure if the Lancashire League would entertain a merge with the CLL?

I agree that the majority of CLL teams would probably be in the top 2 divisions of the GMCL, the standard would sort itself out after the first season or so.

I don't see why Heywood would change their approach to how they have gone about business in the CLL. Isn't it common knowledge certain CLL clubs have been paying thousands out to players over the past few seasons?

Like I said earlier up this thread, clubs are completely entitled to go whichever way they want, I am just struggling to understand the reasons for not wanting change.
End of the CLL as we know it? on 22:24 - Jun 3 with 4805 viewsRockerdale97

End of the CLL as we know it? on 15:55 - Jun 3 by Rochdale_Matt

Not sure if the Lancashire League would entertain a merge with the CLL?

I agree that the majority of CLL teams would probably be in the top 2 divisions of the GMCL, the standard would sort itself out after the first season or so.

I don't see why Heywood would change their approach to how they have gone about business in the CLL. Isn't it common knowledge certain CLL clubs have been paying thousands out to players over the past few seasons?

Like I said earlier up this thread, clubs are completely entitled to go whichever way they want, I am just struggling to understand the reasons for not wanting change.

Norden and Littleborough are allegedly paid quite a few. Heywood say there aren't paying anyone. Not sure how true that is. Plus they are playing two pros. The LL wont as a league but they are looking for new clubs in 2017. Individual clubs will apply and I can see Four atleast going over there.

The CLL has a lot of history and tradition that clubs want to keep. That is the main reason.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024