Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More publicity for the Danczuks 12:22 - Jun 14 with 18205 viewsD_Alien

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/article1566129.ece

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:09 - Jul 6 with 4021 viewsDiddyDave

More publicity for the Danczuks on 15:59 - Jul 6 by SuddenLad

Call Sid Brown a nutter all you like, although he was eccentric, he was one of the team who worked with Alan Turing on the Bletchley Park programmes. We now all know about Turing, be he didn't do it on his own !!

Sid Brown was an absolutely brilliant mathematician.

He lived in one of the houses directly behind the Pearl Street stand, opposite the club shop.

Well,I never knew that about Sid Brown being at Bletchley Park during the war,amazing. I was never taught maths by him,me being in the dummy (C) classes all through my five years of torment,but my mate Colin Fielding was. I was supposed to sit two GCEs,History and English,but as I`d not come back from the time they gave you to swot at home,they threw me out when I went in for one and told me I was barred from the other! Not that I was swotting,me and a few of the lads spent our time playing five a side on the defunct Dunlop Social Club bowling green,using one of the wooden benches as goals and taking turns to be on look out in case the Bobbies turned up on motor bikes to kick us out! So that was that,I got a job anyway,as we all did in those days,spending seven years at Rediffusion as a wireman,then pissed off to New Zealand in 1972,and have never been seen again!!
More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:09 - Jul 7 with 3823 viewsoff2div1

More publicity for the Danczuks on 15:59 - Jul 6 by SuddenLad

Call Sid Brown a nutter all you like, although he was eccentric, he was one of the team who worked with Alan Turing on the Bletchley Park programmes. We now all know about Turing, be he didn't do it on his own !!

Sid Brown was an absolutely brilliant mathematician.

He lived in one of the houses directly behind the Pearl Street stand, opposite the club shop.

I remember Sid Brown bringing in some form of mechanical calculators one day and I managed to jam it all up.Also when you misbehaved he used to get you by your sideburns & you would end up on your toes trying to avoid the pain.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:02 - Jul 7 with 3707 viewsdale5758

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:09 - Jul 7 by off2div1

I remember Sid Brown bringing in some form of mechanical calculators one day and I managed to jam it all up.Also when you misbehaved he used to get you by your sideburns & you would end up on your toes trying to avoid the pain.

Nutter? Eccentric? Just politically correct or incorrect definitions of one and the same?
Anyway whatever word we choose to use to describe Sid's behaviour it was bizarre. He definately had a very cruel streak. I well recall him throwing chalk at pupils
One good thing though has come out of these rememberances and that is in his own way he was a "hero" with regard to his work at Bletchley Park (my generation had him as working on the bouncing bomb {maybe he even did that as well})

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

More publicity for the Danczuks on 20:03 - Jul 7 with 3537 viewsdogboy

More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:02 - Jul 7 by dale5758

Nutter? Eccentric? Just politically correct or incorrect definitions of one and the same?
Anyway whatever word we choose to use to describe Sid's behaviour it was bizarre. He definately had a very cruel streak. I well recall him throwing chalk at pupils
One good thing though has come out of these rememberances and that is in his own way he was a "hero" with regard to his work at Bletchley Park (my generation had him as working on the bouncing bomb {maybe he even did that as well})

This school was full of teachers who inspired you or left you quaking in your boots. I went to the town centre site in the 70s and can remember the following
Sid Brown.doing logarithms in his head! when we said a number!!! inspirational but very weird with his 1000 yard stare!
Ian Cleggs inspirational talks about how he painted in the snow and frost at Manchester Docks..thank you Ian you inspired me
Miss Vincent...asking if we wanted any pastoral help or had any problems, we just looked at her as if she was a martian given the treatment that was dished out..Well ahead of her time I hope she did really well
Mr Greenwood ruddy faced and a brilliant Maths teacher who never gave up, thank you
Bob Ospacusck French teacher committed suicide terrified me but got me through French
Mr Sausage thief brilliant raconteur and inspirational died in a motorcycle accident
And then
Mr Jenkins Welsh Psycho
Odd bloke in Biology with dark glasses and suede shoes who had obviously lost his way ending up in Rochdale
Mr Clarkson RE teacher Brimstone and Treacle and very Old Testament
Deputy head lunatic who held boxing competitions in the Gym at dinner that would do ancient Rome proud
There are loads more and I would welcome you filling in the gaps
More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:43 - Jul 7 with 3419 viewsSandyman

Oulder Hill at the same time Dogboy...

The biology bloke was John Williams. Did the Oxbridge preparation classes. Strange man.
Ian Clegg -great art teacher. Sorted my drawing out.
Sid Brown, eccentric but frighteningly intelligent.
Ostapcsuk - incredibly violent (have received and saw a girl get as well, a slipper to the face. Cruel man.) Loved his Brummy pronunciation of EEEEEEtre. But he was a great teacher, and was a nice guy but his head was screwed.
Alun Jenkins, made you graft , never had a problem with him for geography.
Mr Sausage - was that Mr Bowker? Great raconteur, crap teacher. Dead biker.
Doc Halliday - took the elite English classes for E.Lit - 50% of us got unclassified. incredibly poor.
Clarkson - agreed. Got a 5/5 (worst of worst) off him for Religious Knowledge. And rightly so
Mr Sharples the technical dwawing teacher. Nice guy.
Ray Egerton and Harry Isaacs for history - brilliant the pair of them, as was Mrs Batey.

I raise you Pussy Blackford - Economics..........Milton Friedman in drag. Biased as could be to the Capitalist right.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:48 - Jul 7 with 3277 viewsSandyman

The far-right boxing psycho was Bob Moore. Rumour was he was a mercenary in Rhodesia and South Africa. Probably schoolboy bullshit but classes as information on here ;-)
More publicity for the Danczuks on 04:13 - Jul 8 with 3229 viewsDiddyDave

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:43 - Jul 7 by Sandyman

Oulder Hill at the same time Dogboy...

The biology bloke was John Williams. Did the Oxbridge preparation classes. Strange man.
Ian Clegg -great art teacher. Sorted my drawing out.
Sid Brown, eccentric but frighteningly intelligent.
Ostapcsuk - incredibly violent (have received and saw a girl get as well, a slipper to the face. Cruel man.) Loved his Brummy pronunciation of EEEEEEtre. But he was a great teacher, and was a nice guy but his head was screwed.
Alun Jenkins, made you graft , never had a problem with him for geography.
Mr Sausage - was that Mr Bowker? Great raconteur, crap teacher. Dead biker.
Doc Halliday - took the elite English classes for E.Lit - 50% of us got unclassified. incredibly poor.
Clarkson - agreed. Got a 5/5 (worst of worst) off him for Religious Knowledge. And rightly so
Mr Sharples the technical dwawing teacher. Nice guy.
Ray Egerton and Harry Isaacs for history - brilliant the pair of them, as was Mrs Batey.

I raise you Pussy Blackford - Economics..........Milton Friedman in drag. Biased as could be to the Capitalist right.

Mr Sagar,maths teacher. Saw him push a lad`s face into the blackboard,cutting his chin one day. A right sadistic bastard he was and would go apoplectic some days.
Taffy Jenkins,geography. Gave us heaps of study to do over the summer hols once,"in readiness for your GCE next year". Yeah right,couldn`t be arsed doing that,so spent the whole of my last year sat at the back of the class effectively sent to Coventry with two other lads.
Mr Bowker,one of the few teachers I liked,think he was English teacher. Sorry to read that he`d died in a motor bike accident. Rumours abounded that he was knocking off one of the girls in the A class of 5th form,1965. She was a nice piece too!
Mrs Halstead,taught RI,a lovely old girl who retired while I was there.
Last thought about the Tech. Big Cyril was Chairman of Governors,who I`m sure we all recall dishing out prizes on Speech Day at Champness Hall every year. I can gladly say that being dumb had its benefits,I never had the pleasure of getting my prize and being patted on the bum by him!!
More publicity for the Danczuks on 09:40 - Jul 8 with 3148 viewsdale5758

More publicity for the Danczuks on 04:13 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

Mr Sagar,maths teacher. Saw him push a lad`s face into the blackboard,cutting his chin one day. A right sadistic bastard he was and would go apoplectic some days.
Taffy Jenkins,geography. Gave us heaps of study to do over the summer hols once,"in readiness for your GCE next year". Yeah right,couldn`t be arsed doing that,so spent the whole of my last year sat at the back of the class effectively sent to Coventry with two other lads.
Mr Bowker,one of the few teachers I liked,think he was English teacher. Sorry to read that he`d died in a motor bike accident. Rumours abounded that he was knocking off one of the girls in the A class of 5th form,1965. She was a nice piece too!
Mrs Halstead,taught RI,a lovely old girl who retired while I was there.
Last thought about the Tech. Big Cyril was Chairman of Governors,who I`m sure we all recall dishing out prizes on Speech Day at Champness Hall every year. I can gladly say that being dumb had its benefits,I never had the pleasure of getting my prize and being patted on the bum by him!!

I'll add Miss Judith Mills (ex of Dave Cross) English teacher and really lovely girl.
Billy Bowker was much nicer than he was given credit for
John Eastwood Geography teacher who had a fearsome rep but who if handled right could be a pussycat
Also Stuart Lointon English Lit (allegedly the partner of Mr Williams....might explain his oddities) who was very snide
[Post edited 8 Jul 2015 13:41]

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

Login to get fewer ads

More publicity for the Danczuks on 10:26 - Jul 8 with 3115 viewsParkinsGimp

More publicity for the Danczuks on 22:48 - Jul 6 by D_Alien

Well at least you've come up with a response, which is more than Suggers did on another thread a couple of days ago when I asked him to substantiate his claim that George Osborne was causing people to send their kids to school with no breakfast in their bellies, or summat like that.

Politics is very much about opinions, but also challenging them, otherwise we're stuffed.

Very true D_Alien, politics is of course about opinions, and so is football. I have read this discussion about SD and seen both sides have conducted themselves very well. Its a shame when people have differing views about the Dale on here, they just slide to person abuse LOL. not all I must say some will accept anothers view.
Roll on the footy season , all this politics is getting me down :-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024