Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will this stop? 16:20 - Jul 24 with 27824 viewsisitme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33656802
When will this stop? on 10:58 - Aug 3 with 3115 viewsR17ALE

When will this stop? on 10:08 - Aug 3 by moth5368

No, I'm afraid that you've missed the point. What you actually posted was that most/many do not appear to be loyal British subjects. What is bizarre is that you've managed to come to that conclusion based on driving past people. I'd be interested to know how you did this, do you have some kind of mind reading apparatus or are you basing it on people's colour?

People's general appearance.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:59 - Aug 3 with 3000 viewsmoth5368

When will this stop? on 10:58 - Aug 3 by R17ALE

People's general appearance.

Right, go on then - I'll run the risk of sounding ignorant - how can you tell off people's general appearance whether they are loyal British subjects? I'm obviously unaware of the studies that have been made correlating appearance and loyalty.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 13:04]
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:16 - Aug 3 with 2940 viewsR17ALE

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:59 - Aug 3 by moth5368

Right, go on then - I'll run the risk of sounding ignorant - how can you tell off people's general appearance whether they are loyal British subjects? I'm obviously unaware of the studies that have been made correlating appearance and loyalty.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 13:04]

No, you're not ignorant to ask, and I'm the ignorant one to assume that certain people are not loyal British subjects by how they look.

There is no study to prove whether I'm right and there doesn't need to be as, on this issue, I am.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, but I really don't give a shit anymore. The town is full of wronguns which is bleeding obvious to anyone as they drive around.

When will this stop? on 14:41 - Aug 3 with 2895 viewsNigeriamark

When will this stop? on 21:30 - Aug 2 by TalkingSutty

I tell you what, hats off to you guys who have been the major contributors to this thread, it oozes intelligence.

It is a good thread because people have not been backward in taking on a few very difficult and emotive subjects ( Child abuse islam, rochdale and national issues) and be prepared to give views knowing they may not be accepted by all

It's got a bit edgy at times and a few have been stung ( inc myself) and probably said some things out of order ( inc myself). However if you feel passionate and want to talk about these type of subjects then it's going to happen

Classic example is the post before yours by someone called Fermin. I don't know him from Adam, but there are some journalists who couldn't put together a piece like that. Whether you like his views or not it's the type of post we need. Lot of others too including points I really don't buy into but I can't disagree that they are very well put. The key points on the original issues have probably been made and most people know where we all stand but I for one have also enjoyed most of the thread.. It's not about somehow winning or losing a debate especially when there are so few actual facts, it's about raising issues that need sorting out be them local or national

One final comment on being British and from Rochdale

I haven't lived in the Uk/ Rochdale since 1998 but Rochdale made me what I am wether you like me or not. At work I am seen as being extremely pragmatic and someone who gets on with it - That will be because of where I was brought up and by who. I have twice had the chance to take another Nationality but it never crossed my mind. If I retire in the UK it would only be to Rochdale or close by. Shit hole at times? Perhaps it is but it is still my shit hole!! Look forward to seeing those who know me at the Millwall, Shrews and Bradford games
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:27 - Aug 3 with 2847 viewsnordenblue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:16 - Aug 3 by R17ALE

No, you're not ignorant to ask, and I'm the ignorant one to assume that certain people are not loyal British subjects by how they look.

There is no study to prove whether I'm right and there doesn't need to be as, on this issue, I am.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, but I really don't give a shit anymore. The town is full of wronguns which is bleeding obvious to anyone as they drive around.

Very true and well put,since moving out of the area some 3 years ago my only reason thankfully to return now is to visit either family,friends or football.
When you move away you really do appreciate how shocking the town is, being born in Birch Hill and raised in many schools now not even there in the borough,the town is horrendous when looking in,deprived doesnt even come close to explaining it.
When will this stop? on 11:15 - Aug 4 with 2688 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale has been in terminal decline for at least 30 years, probably longer. We have the unhappy knack of electing politicians that don't belong to the party in power. So we didn't even get the crumbs from the rich man's table. Even when we did manage to chose the right party with Lorna Fitzsimmons, nothing happened.

Since the end of the Cotton Industry and it's associated Engineering sector nothing of any significant value has taken root in the town. Most of the people I went to school with in the 1960's left the town years ago. They'd cry if they came back now.

The town is a pit in spite of the recent developments, they were too little , too late.
When will this stop? on 11:18 - Aug 4 with 2685 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 11:15 - Aug 4 by mingthemerciless

Rochdale has been in terminal decline for at least 30 years, probably longer. We have the unhappy knack of electing politicians that don't belong to the party in power. So we didn't even get the crumbs from the rich man's table. Even when we did manage to chose the right party with Lorna Fitzsimmons, nothing happened.

Since the end of the Cotton Industry and it's associated Engineering sector nothing of any significant value has taken root in the town. Most of the people I went to school with in the 1960's left the town years ago. They'd cry if they came back now.

The town is a pit in spite of the recent developments, they were too little , too late.

Instead of this constant whingeing and putting the place down, get off your arse and do summat about it then

http://www.getyourshare.co.uk/

I am, but that's no big deal. If you choose not to though, stfu

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

When will this stop? on 11:27 - Aug 4 with 2667 viewsMoonyDale

When will this stop? on 11:18 - Aug 4 by D_Alien

Instead of this constant whingeing and putting the place down, get off your arse and do summat about it then

Well said that man, have pledged and joined myself.....Everyone should get on board.

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Login to get fewer ads

When will this stop? on 12:02 - Aug 4 with 2633 viewsDaleiLama

When will this stop? on 11:18 - Aug 4 by D_Alien

Interesting to see no mention of RAFC. I know it isn't strictly "town centre", but it does attract visitors from outside the area who might well use the facilities of the town during their visit.
There should at least be some tie-in between "Co-op Mark 2" and club.
Wonder if Frances is looking at this?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

When will this stop? on 12:04 - Aug 4 with 2632 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 12:02 - Aug 4 by DaleiLama

Interesting to see no mention of RAFC. I know it isn't strictly "town centre", but it does attract visitors from outside the area who might well use the facilities of the town during their visit.
There should at least be some tie-in between "Co-op Mark 2" and club.
Wonder if Frances is looking at this?

I've already put the founder member, Mark Birkett, in touch with Frances.

And you're right - there's loads of collaborative work could happen between this movement and the football club.

I've highlighted the similarities to Mark about how the club has pulled itself up by it's bootstrings - which is what the movement is aiming to do with the town as a whole, or at least the town centre.

When will this stop? on 12:16 - Aug 4 with 2609 viewsDaleiLama

When will this stop? on 12:04 - Aug 4 by D_Alien

And you're right - there's loads of collaborative work could happen between this movement and the football club.

I've highlighted the similarities to Mark about how the club has pulled itself up by it's bootstrings - which is what the movement is aiming to do with the town as a whole, or at least the town centre.

I was thinking the exact same thing and they can be an asset to each other.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

When will this stop? on 12:35 - Aug 4 with 2583 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 12:04 - Aug 4 by D_Alien

Well done. Nice pro active work there.

Wonder if Dale could ever become a Co-op.

Is the Trust classified as a Co-op? It practically is.

In my opinion Co-ops are a way forward.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

When will this stop? on 13:42 - Aug 4 with 2530 viewswatford_dale

When will this stop? on 12:35 - Aug 4 by 1mark1

Well done. Nice pro active work there.

Wonder if Dale could ever become a Co-op.

Is the Trust classified as a Co-op? It practically is.

In my opinion Co-ops are a way forward.

Best hope for the town, from someone who used to live there looking in is for it to become a commuter town. It's great for links:

M62
Train connections to Manchester and Leeds
Tram
Manchester airport

Also it has
Stratospheric football manager
Great house prices
Fantastic scenery
Mutters restaurant

The redevelopment etc of a town centre should be a Council duty, as it is in all other parts of the country but given the financial position they are in (tories have laid to waste pretty much all the northern mets with their reduction in central govt funding ) I am not surprised it is being set up independently and it will probably lead to better results. The Council has been rudderless since Francis Done left as chief exec in 2004 leading to the current malaise that hasn't done much apart from give private eye the occasional headline. We just need to make more of our geographical position.
When will this stop? on 15:57 - Aug 4 with 2435 viewsR17ALE

Once the river is open and the town centre is landscaped and open for business, you'd like to think RMBC will advertise around the Manchester area of the benefits of a day out in Rochdale. (As opposed to come to Rochdale for benefits!)

Pivotal to this will be Metrolink which connects us to virtually every part of Greater Manchester.

I'd like to see RMBC and Dale jointly share the task of attracting folk into the town using Metrolink and I'd even go as far as offering a scheme where you get the cost of your Metrolink ticket knocked off the price of your Dale ticket. It's not like our home games often clash with City and United games either.

When will this stop? on 16:43 - Aug 4 with 2374 viewsmingthemerciless

I'm in the camp that says opening up the river is a huge waste of resources. We'll soon see if I'm right.
When will this stop? on 17:01 - Aug 4 with 2338 viewspioneer

When will this stop? on 15:57 - Aug 4 by R17ALE

Once the river is open and the town centre is landscaped and open for business, you'd like to think RMBC will advertise around the Manchester area of the benefits of a day out in Rochdale. (As opposed to come to Rochdale for benefits!)

Pivotal to this will be Metrolink which connects us to virtually every part of Greater Manchester.

I'd like to see RMBC and Dale jointly share the task of attracting folk into the town using Metrolink and I'd even go as far as offering a scheme where you get the cost of your Metrolink ticket knocked off the price of your Dale ticket. It's not like our home games often clash with City and United games either.

Salford rugby used to offer similar scheme when they played at Weaste. Parking in that area was limited (and not very safe) so if you parked at the large metro station two stops up the line (for free) and showed your metro ticket they knocked the price of the ticket off the admission price.

Now they have moved to the AJ Bell which is nowhere near a metro station!
When will this stop? on 17:19 - Aug 4 with 2300 viewsisitme

When will this stop? on 16:43 - Aug 4 by mingthemerciless

I'm in the camp that says opening up the river is a huge waste of resources. We'll soon see if I'm right.

I would have rather seen the money being spent on building training facilities within the borough for Rochdale with some element available for community use.
When will this stop? on 11:51 - Aug 5 with 2120 viewsHK_Dale

When will this stop? on 13:59 - Jul 28 by isitme

The figure I have used of over one million American serviceman was taken from Max Hastings' book called Nemisis about the last year of the war in The Pacific. Doing a quick Google search brought up the following results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate_over_the_atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_N

http://thediplomat.com/2014/08/how-hiroshima-and-nagasaki-saved-millions-of-live

https://scottthong.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/the-atomic-bombs-saved-35-million-li

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1946/12/if-the-atomic-bomb-had-not-b

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1708051/posts

There are some very interesting comments on some of the links, many you would agree with. The reality is that the Japanese military command would have fought an invasion to the last. They did not care about civilian deaths at all. Millions more Japanese people would have died, never mind the American service men that you appear to care little about.

The efforts by the Allied forces during WW2 helped to preserve millions of lives . In fact the actions of Stalin and Mao after the end of the war caused more casualties than both World Wars put together.

Realise the thread has moved on a bit, but this article articulates a similar view to what I was trying to say, with more examples of the devastation. Also references the bombing of Tokyo pre-Hiroshima.

I think the key thing is though, how this has been portrayed to the US public, not just as something that was necessary but almost glorified...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33754931
When will this stop? on 16:35 - Aug 5 with 2007 viewsNigeriamark

When will this stop? on 15:57 - Aug 4 by R17ALE

Once it is open and landscaped are there any plans to build or convert any buildings into trendy apartments. ? If the development works you imagine some of the nicer restaurants and bars would open down there and it will also be a transport hub. Lots of cities, towns now mix retail, office with living areas. Makes the whole think active more than just 9-5. Wouldn't be families but couples/singles with disposable income who want to be where "the action is" . I think it works well. Doesn't Bury a have a few living areas amongst their newer shopping areas?
When will this stop? on 16:43 - Aug 5 with 1989 viewsisitme

When will this stop? on 16:35 - Aug 5 by Nigeriamark

Once it is open and landscaped are there any plans to build or convert any buildings into trendy apartments. ? If the development works you imagine some of the nicer restaurants and bars would open down there and it will also be a transport hub. Lots of cities, towns now mix retail, office with living areas. Makes the whole think active more than just 9-5. Wouldn't be families but couples/singles with disposable income who want to be where "the action is" . I think it works well. Doesn't Bury a have a few living areas amongst their newer shopping areas?

That is what will make it a white elephant. There is nothing to draw people into the town centre. There are no nice bars (apart from the Baum), cafes, posh bakeries etc. There are people with money living in Rochdale, they are forced though to go to places such as Bury and Manchester.
When will this stop? on 16:59 - Aug 5 with 1960 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah dead right, the only reason I'd go drinking in Rochdale at night is if I wanted a fight.
When will this stop? on 17:05 - Aug 5 with 1953 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 16:43 - Aug 5 by isitme

That is what will make it a white elephant. There is nothing to draw people into the town centre. There are no nice bars (apart from the Baum), cafes, posh bakeries etc. There are people with money living in Rochdale, they are forced though to go to places such as Bury and Manchester.

No, isitme, that's why the "getyourshare" initiative has started up.

I guess there'll always be cynics, and I'm plenty old enough to be a fully-paid up cynic too - but I'm not. It'll take a huge amount of hard work, good will and yes, luck, but I see it as a once in a generation opportunity to get this town of ours off its collective backside.

Time will tell.

[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 17:06]

When will this stop? on 17:07 - Aug 5 with 1939 viewsisitme

When will this stop? on 17:05 - Aug 5 by D_Alien

No, isitme, that's why the "getyourshare" initiative has started up.

I guess there'll always be cynics, and I'm plenty old enough to be a fully-paid up cynic too - but I'm not. It'll take a huge amount of hard work, good will and yes, luck, but I see it as a once in a generation opportunity to get this town of ours off its collective backside.

Time will tell.

[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 17:06]

It is an interesting idea and I hope it works. It would be much better than a week after the opened river is unveiled it is full of rubbish.
When will this stop? on 18:42 - Aug 5 with 1883 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 17:07 - Aug 5 by isitme

It is an interesting idea and I hope it works. It would be much better than a week after the opened river is unveiled it is full of rubbish.

True. Judging by the whiff that's starting to arise when walking past the excavations, it'll need more than just a clean-up but measures to prevent it from being polluted further upstream. It'll become a metaphor for the town itself.

When will this stop? on 18:55 - Aug 5 with 1854 viewsmightydale

When will this stop? on 18:42 - Aug 5 by D_Alien

True. Judging by the whiff that's starting to arise when walking past the excavations, it'll need more than just a clean-up but measures to prevent it from being polluted further upstream. It'll become a metaphor for the town itself.

Rochdale News | News Headlines | Six men arrested after 14-year-old girl raped - Rochdale Online

wonder how much longer Rochdale folk are going to let this keep happening to our kids

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024