Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A new co-op movement for Rochdale? 08:37 - Jul 28 with 5768 viewsCamdenDale

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/97183/plans-for-a
A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 22:23 - Aug 1 with 5464 viewsD_Alien

Did anyone go to this?

I was planning on going, but didn't get back from a trip away in time.

Any feedback?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 23:19 - Aug 1 with 5381 viewsCamdenDale

Founder Mark Birkett's angle is that, for whatever reason, it ain't working for retail, and more generally confidence in the town, which from my frequent visits, I find true. Here's what he says:

"INTRODUCTION TO DALE CO-OPERATIVE...
Are you frustrated by the lack of really good SHOPS in Rochdale? Would you like to see a retail revolution that brought you back to shop in our town again? Would you like to see a total CULTURAL revival of the town centre with new clubs, societies, family activities, festivals and exhibition areas in abundance? Would you like to see hi-tech 'smart' INDUSTRIES that would contribute to a real economic revival and with real JOBS for local people? Would you like to play your part in a mammoth five-year effort to re-create Rochdale?
If so, we'd like to introduce you to "Dale Co-operative", a brand new venture based entirely on co-operative principles. Our aim is to raise funds for all manner of new retail outlets and cultural activities for the benefit of EVERYONE in Rochdale. We hope to transform the town centre 'retail and culture experience' from its pretty dreadful state into something TRULY extraordinary. To do this, we are encouraging ALL Rochdalians to contribute either £100.00 OR ten hours of effort to get this venture going.
In return, you will get a LIFETIME share in a co-operative that YOU will be able to use, contribute to and benefit from. Where other business models have failed, Rochdale's greatest export, CO-OPERATION, rides to the rescue of our town and YOU can be part of the cavalry!
If you'd like to find out more before committing yourself, simply click on the "EVENT" link below to come along to our inaugural meeting on Saturday 1st August 2015, 10.30 am. The venue yet to be finalised but WILL be local. ALL interested parties welcome! Click the 'JOIN' button if you're planning to come along. Tea, coffee and interesting chats guaranteed!"

28 attendees at today's meeting - same number as turned up in 1844. Another meeting at St Mary-in-the-Baum next Saturday. The principle is, as for those back then, to pledge money, initially £100, for a share, presumably to rent a shop but also to share expertise, act as an enterprise sector/hub. I don't know, got to admire the guy. Someone go next week? Any collective effort got to be good for the club too.
A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 23:32 - Aug 1 with 5336 viewsD_Alien

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 23:19 - Aug 1 by CamdenDale

Founder Mark Birkett's angle is that, for whatever reason, it ain't working for retail, and more generally confidence in the town, which from my frequent visits, I find true. Here's what he says:

"INTRODUCTION TO DALE CO-OPERATIVE...
Are you frustrated by the lack of really good SHOPS in Rochdale? Would you like to see a retail revolution that brought you back to shop in our town again? Would you like to see a total CULTURAL revival of the town centre with new clubs, societies, family activities, festivals and exhibition areas in abundance? Would you like to see hi-tech 'smart' INDUSTRIES that would contribute to a real economic revival and with real JOBS for local people? Would you like to play your part in a mammoth five-year effort to re-create Rochdale?
If so, we'd like to introduce you to "Dale Co-operative", a brand new venture based entirely on co-operative principles. Our aim is to raise funds for all manner of new retail outlets and cultural activities for the benefit of EVERYONE in Rochdale. We hope to transform the town centre 'retail and culture experience' from its pretty dreadful state into something TRULY extraordinary. To do this, we are encouraging ALL Rochdalians to contribute either £100.00 OR ten hours of effort to get this venture going.
In return, you will get a LIFETIME share in a co-operative that YOU will be able to use, contribute to and benefit from. Where other business models have failed, Rochdale's greatest export, CO-OPERATION, rides to the rescue of our town and YOU can be part of the cavalry!
If you'd like to find out more before committing yourself, simply click on the "EVENT" link below to come along to our inaugural meeting on Saturday 1st August 2015, 10.30 am. The venue yet to be finalised but WILL be local. ALL interested parties welcome! Click the 'JOIN' button if you're planning to come along. Tea, coffee and interesting chats guaranteed!"

28 attendees at today's meeting - same number as turned up in 1844. Another meeting at St Mary-in-the-Baum next Saturday. The principle is, as for those back then, to pledge money, initially £100, for a share, presumably to rent a shop but also to share expertise, act as an enterprise sector/hub. I don't know, got to admire the guy. Someone go next week? Any collective effort got to be good for the club too.

Cheers Camden

More here:

http://www.getyourshare.co.uk/

I've emailed via the website to suggest establishing links with the football club - which I'm sure our commercial manager would welcome - as an example of a local business which seemed moribund for years but has managed to pull itself up by it's own bootstraps.

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 01:17 - Aug 2 with 5254 viewsjoecooke

I will give 100 quid if Tazzy will do 10 hours,any takers?

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 13:25 - Aug 8 with 4880 viewsD_Alien

Went along to the second meeting this morning

There's some good people - good Rochdalians - up for this

It's completely apolitical and non-sectarian, as it should be

I'd urge anyone with any sense of wanting our town to pull out of the trough of failure and negativity, and at least try to turn things around, to sign up to this

The website's been posted earlier in the thread

If you can't be bothered, don't ever knock this town, or try to run it down again

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 14:09 - Aug 8 with 4812 viewsSJE_Dale

Its heartwarming to see that some people do still take real pride on our town. Something I will be supporting and hoping has a positive impact
A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 17:42 - Aug 8 with 4726 viewsCamdenDale

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 13:25 - Aug 8 by D_Alien

Went along to the second meeting this morning

There's some good people - good Rochdalians - up for this

It's completely apolitical and non-sectarian, as it should be

I'd urge anyone with any sense of wanting our town to pull out of the trough of failure and negativity, and at least try to turn things around, to sign up to this

The website's been posted earlier in the thread

If you can't be bothered, don't ever knock this town, or try to run it down again

Couldn't put it better. Check the website - join in. No-one, but no-one will help this town but ourselves.
A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 17:48 - Aug 8 with 4702 viewsD_Alien

A new co-op movement for Rochdale? on 17:42 - Aug 8 by CamdenDale

Couldn't put it better. Check the website - join in. No-one, but no-one will help this town but ourselves.

And you won't be surprised to hear that out of 60 councillors who were written to with a view to encouraging their input, only 1 attended (not sure who it was).

So yes, they really care about our town, don't they?

The view of the meeting was - we can do it without them. We've had enough of negativity and political point-scoring, let's just get on with it. And we will.

Cheers for starting this thread Camden.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024