Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The latest from Barnsley 11:18 - Jul 30 with 11123 viewsMoonyDale

Back in today with a 175k bid I am told.......Info from inside Barnsley fc.

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

The latest from Barnsley on 19:33 - Jul 30 with 4681 viewsWhiteyBFC

The latest from Barnsley on 17:38 - Jul 30 by TalkingSutty

Good post DL. It's a natural reaction for fans to feel disappointment or even anger when we sell our best players but I reckon probably 80% of Clubs in the country are in the same boat.

It's depressing to see players like Matty Done leave the club but we really don't have much option, our pathetic home attendances are the deciding factor for me. Players want to perform on a big stage, in front of big passionate crowds and at Spotland we can't provide that.

When we visit grounds like Valley Parade and Bramhall Lane etc, it really hits home how poor the town is when it comes to backing its Football Club. We have now reached a stage where Hilly and the team he's assembled seem to have outgrown the actual Football Club, we can't give them what we want. They deserve to be rewarded by running out in front of a large, buzzing, ever growing home support but sadly it's not happening.

Selling our best players is part and parcel of a Dale fans life, the lack of support from the Town determines that. Ownership of the stadium will make the recent sales of players worthwhile, it's about time that particular issue was resolved and the supporters given a bit more information, after all we are helping to fund it.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2015 17:39]

Brilliant post that.

I've heard absolutely nothing about a second bid.
The latest from Barnsley on 21:26 - Jul 30 with 4434 viewspioneer

The latest from Barnsley on 19:14 - Jul 30 by 442Dale

On point 1: hasn't history shown how those add-ons have continued to provide a regular income over the years?. For too long people have obsessed over fees.

Again it's part of how we operate and it's been proven to be successful.

For those players who went on to bigger and better we got a portion of the higher fee (instead of selling effectively and getting the whole higher fee). But then only some of those players go on to do better things so we lose out on the cut price up front fees for Hogan, Done etc.

In what way has it proven to be successful ? We dont know what would have happened if we had sold for bigger upfront fees and less add ons, or not sold at all (like Done last season). Maybe we would still be counting the dough from Wembley.

But we do know in the case of Hogan the add ons were worthless and have helped pay no bills at all. Was Hogan a lesser player than the chesterfield lad? We didnt get a million for him because Brentford knew they wouldn't need offer a million for Rochdale to sell. Sweeten it with some add ons (which means the buyer reduces the risk of involved with him say getting a career changing injury). Look what happened.
The latest from Barnsley on 21:29 - Jul 30 with 4416 viewsR17ALE

The latest from Barnsley on 21:26 - Jul 30 by pioneer

For those players who went on to bigger and better we got a portion of the higher fee (instead of selling effectively and getting the whole higher fee). But then only some of those players go on to do better things so we lose out on the cut price up front fees for Hogan, Done etc.

In what way has it proven to be successful ? We dont know what would have happened if we had sold for bigger upfront fees and less add ons, or not sold at all (like Done last season). Maybe we would still be counting the dough from Wembley.

But we do know in the case of Hogan the add ons were worthless and have helped pay no bills at all. Was Hogan a lesser player than the chesterfield lad? We didnt get a million for him because Brentford knew they wouldn't need offer a million for Rochdale to sell. Sweeten it with some add ons (which means the buyer reduces the risk of involved with him say getting a career changing injury). Look what happened.

I wouldn't call £750,000 a cut price fee for Hogan! I'd say it was very good business for a player we knew had a habit of picking up un-necessary injuries.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

The latest from Barnsley on 21:45 - Jul 30 with 4355 views442Dale

The latest from Barnsley on 21:26 - Jul 30 by pioneer

So should we have sold Lambert for more initially with no add-ons? Maybe another 100k? Each deal is different.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes as, like you said yourself, nobody knows what might happen down the line. What if Done recovers from injury, scores 25 goals, Sheff U win promotion and is then bought by Aston Villa for £3m?

The credit has to go to the club for having a set structure for how we recruit, develop and sell on players. Within that structure is a policy around clauses after a player is sold. Unless we're all party to exact fees and clauses, I fail to see how we can be too critical of what price we sell for.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The latest from Barnsley on 21:49 - Jul 30 with 4335 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The latest from Barnsley on 21:29 - Jul 30 by R17ALE

I wouldn't call £750,000 a cut price fee for Hogan! I'd say it was very good business for a player we knew had a habit of picking up un-necessary injuries.

.......and he had only played one full season in the League.

Still have in back though.
The latest from Barnsley on 21:50 - Jul 30 with 4318 viewsmacro

Chesterfield are about 9 million in debt and most of the 1.3 million is going to pay off debts

They’ve shipped out 5-6 first teamers in the last few months that combined with Dean Saunders means a season of struggle I think
[Post edited 30 Jul 2015 22:18]
The latest from Barnsley on 21:56 - Jul 30 with 4292 viewsfitzochris

The latest from Barnsley on 21:50 - Jul 30 by macro

Chesterfield are about 9 million in debt and most of the 1.3 million is going to pay off debts

They’ve shipped out 5-6 first teamers in the last few months that combined with Dean Saunders means a season of struggle I think
[Post edited 30 Jul 2015 22:18]

And they've just lost Tendayi Darikwa.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The latest from Barnsley on 22:39 - Jul 30 with 4173 viewsmacro

The latest from Barnsley on 16:40 - Jul 30 by pioneer

I think some get antsy because:

1. Other clubs of our level sell their best players for 1 million plus. We have sold a long list of players of varying ages, many of whom went to or arrived in the premier league, none of which were for anything near 1 million.

2. We tend to sell at the most inopportune time - just before deadlines - which severely limits opportunities for replacements to be found.

3. We have a tendency to sell to our immediate rivals ( Le Fondre, Done) - if the players were that good (and given what most have them have gone to achieve, they were that good) surely other teams were interested and we could have held out for equal or better offers from other non rival clubs.

4. We tend to let the player decide if he wants to g in response to an offer and dont stand in his way , without seeking out the best offer for the club. No player can be expected to have the best interests of Rochdale football club in mind . . so why is it left to him. The directors have a duty to look after the best interests of Rochdale football club - that is not the same as letting the player (or shall we say his agent) decide .

5, In the long term this can affect recruitment because players interested in team success over a sustained period might be less attracted to Rochdale simply because they know as soon as success appears to be a prospect the risk of losing team mates and disrupting the chances of success might be higher than at other clubs

6. We tend to use little if any of the money received on replacements.

If you’re a shareholder, do you or are you going to attend the AGM and discuss your points? That’d be the perfect opportunity or attend the fans forum and ask Hill direct
Login to get fewer ads

The latest from Barnsley on 08:52 - Jul 31 with 3804 viewsupthedale

The latest from Barnsley on 14:35 - Jul 30 by D_Alien

Is Hendo married, or living with a partner? Children?

Right then. Anyone with experience of having family responsibilities will understand that going home and trying to explain to your wife/partner that you're not going to be tripling your income for the next three years is something that can't be rationalised with "but I like playing for Keith Hill". Equally, for the club to stand in his way will have his partner questioning whether he should be putting so much effort into a club that clearly doesn't have the best interests of his family at heart.

If Hendo is a completely free agent (relationship wise) then it's a different matter. But going home every day to face your family when you know you're not doing your best for them simply doesn't work - even with an understanding partner, the thought will always be there, in every conversation, in every act of love making.

Only those who've never been in that situation (I'm pointing at you, Sweetcorn "old chestnut") will still be whingeing on about the club lacking ambition.

And no, I've never been hen-pecked in my life, but it's a matter of life experience.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2015 14:40]

I understand your point, but even worse would be to not be happy in your job.

I think you place too much importance on money in that scenario. Obviously hypothetically as I have no idea about the ins and outs of Hendo's relationship, but maybe his partner would rather see him on an evening/weekend where he hasn't had to commute an extra hour or whatever and maybe she's be happier if he came home from work having enjoyed the day.

My partner moved jobs to a lower paid one because it was making them unhappy. Do I resent that? No, of course not - it was something we discussed and decided it was for the best.

Edit: Also hypothetical because the commute could be shorter!
[Post edited 31 Jul 2015 8:53]
The latest from Barnsley on 11:00 - Jul 31 with 3609 views49thseason

some food for thought for players and management
The latest from Barnsley on 11:00 - Jul 31 with 3606 viewsMoonyDale

Just had a message from over the hills in Yarkshire and Barnsley have dropped their interest in Hendo and are looking at Osullivan from Blackburn..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

The latest from Barnsley on 13:29 - Jul 31 with 3424 viewsstigmundo77

If true. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
The latest from Barnsley on 13:36 - Jul 31 with 3392 views1mark1

It's only good if there are no clubs interested. Basically if Hendo goes we want the most money possible, and for that to happen we would want a bidding war.

Hope no-one comes in for him. Maybe Dale should make it clear that there is a minimum price for him.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

The latest from Barnsley on 13:53 - Jul 31 with 3333 viewspioneer

The latest from Barnsley on 22:39 - Jul 30 by macro

If you’re a shareholder, do you or are you going to attend the AGM and discuss your points? That’d be the perfect opportunity or attend the fans forum and ask Hill direct

Yes I am a shareholder, if I knew when the AGM is to be held I might be able to respond to your question about whether I will be attending.

However, unlikely since I have enough trouble getting to evening games given my work commitments. I have rarely been able to attend during the 40 years I have been a shareholder. Perhaps they could hold the AGM one year on a Saturday evening . . . just a thought.

Not sure why you ask though - these are simply comments in the public domain for all to see and agree or disagree with. Everyone's opinion is welcome....isn't it? Dont we want to encourage debate and discussion about the football club?
The latest from Barnsley on 17:19 - Jul 31 with 3005 viewsWhiteyBFC

The latest from Barnsley on 11:00 - Jul 31 by MoonyDale

Just had a message from over the hills in Yarkshire and Barnsley have dropped their interest in Hendo and are looking at Osullivan from Blackburn..

O'Sullivan has been our top target all summer. In fact, we had a bid accepted in January, but Bowyer changed his mind and we ended up with a loan instead, summat to do with their embargo.

I fully expect us to sign him if Blackburn aren't giving him opportunities in August. And that would be the best signing in L1. Although this new lad Dan Crowley from Arsenal is rated as the best young midfielder in his age group, in the country. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow, can't quite believe we've pulled it off. Not usually a fan of loanees, but if he's anywhere near as good as the hype surrounding him, should be fun for 6 months.
The latest from Barnsley on 17:49 - Jul 31 with 2841 viewsdingdangblue

The latest from Barnsley on 17:19 - Jul 31 by WhiteyBFC

O'Sullivan has been our top target all summer. In fact, we had a bid accepted in January, but Bowyer changed his mind and we ended up with a loan instead, summat to do with their embargo.

I fully expect us to sign him if Blackburn aren't giving him opportunities in August. And that would be the best signing in L1. Although this new lad Dan Crowley from Arsenal is rated as the best young midfielder in his age group, in the country. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow, can't quite believe we've pulled it off. Not usually a fan of loanees, but if he's anywhere near as good as the hype surrounding him, should be fun for 6 months.

Bloody hell - more loans than bury your lot! 😉

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The latest from Barnsley on 19:49 - Jul 31 with 2589 viewsrobtheb

If Hendo stays and starts to bang in goal for us as he did last season, interest will start all over again before transfer closes. Dammed if you do...dammed if you don't.
The latest from Barnsley on 21:21 - Jul 31 with 2417 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The latest from Barnsley on 11:00 - Jul 31 by MoonyDale

Yeah......that O'Sullivan is really really shit hot!

I'm sure you Tykes can get him....he really really loves you lot too....

now sod off and leave Hendo!
The latest from Barnsley on 00:02 - Aug 1 with 2147 viewsWhiteyBFC

The latest from Barnsley on 17:49 - Jul 31 by dingdangblue

Bloody hell - more loans than bury your lot! 😉

Four at this point. Not a fan of them myself. But I'm merely a supporter. And I'm desperate to see good times back at Oakwell. I hope the four of them help achieve that.
The latest from Barnsley on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 1889 views1mark1

To be fair there have been times when Dale have used the loans system very well.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024