Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walks around Rochdale... 15:56 - Aug 3 with 10805 viewsrichfoad32

I'll be staying over for the weekend after the Posh game Saturday, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for walks in the area? Quite a keen walker so distance/difficulty is no problem as I've all Sunday to kill....preferably with a good pub on route. Quite happy to hop a train for anything a bit further out. Thanks.
Walks around Rochdale... on 15:58 - Aug 3 with 9221 viewsisitme

Holingworth Lake is the obvious one. If you are driving and fancy going further afield then Dove Stone is a good walk.
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:09 - Aug 3 with 9177 viewsD_Alien

Another obvious one is Knowl Hill above the Owd Betts pub, with the wind turbines at the back. The pub does decent ales these days too.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:10 - Aug 3 with 9167 viewsfitzochris

Up and around Knowl Hill and Green Booth is a good one because you can throw Owd Betts in there for your pub.

Alternatively, a good one I used to do was down the canal from Well I'Th Lane all the way to Castleton and then cut across over Tandle Hill and back down Oldham Road. Some good pubs that way, too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:11 - Aug 3 with 9092 viewsBigKindo

Hardcastle Crags and Crimsworth Dean at Hebden Bridge going over to Haworth. Rated a medium walk. Some good pubs in Hebden and plenty of veggie/vegan restaurants run by certain ladies. However, depending on the result how about a walk along a plank?
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:14 - Aug 3 with 9067 viewsTalkingSutty

Walks around Rochdale... on 15:58 - Aug 3 by isitme

Holingworth Lake is the obvious one. If you are driving and fancy going further afield then Dove Stone is a good walk.

Train to Littleborough and alight. Get on the canal and walk to Todmordon and onwards to Hebden Bridge. Have a few pints in the pubs and then catch the train from Hebden Bridge back to Rochdale. The walk is just under 10 miles and takes about 3 hours, it's a good day out with some stunning scenery and obviously it's the towpath all the way.

A few decent pubs in Hebden Bridge and it's famous for its picturesque Train Station and also it's plethora of Lesbians.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 16:15]
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:29 - Aug 3 with 8992 viewsrichfoad32

Thanks for the suggestions. Googled the Owd Betts, looks a little bit out of town on the main road, is it walkable?(I'm not driving). Quite unfamiliar with the area, all matches I've been too I'm usually away again the same day. The Hebden Bridge walk could be a winner, especially if it's all towpath and impossible to get lost. Whilst I love walking, my navigational skills are non existent and I don't think Search & Rescue like being disturbed on a Sunday. Cheers again.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 16:30]
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:33 - Aug 3 with 8920 viewsrichfoad32

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:14 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

Train to Littleborough and alight. Get on the canal and walk to Todmordon and onwards to Hebden Bridge. Have a few pints in the pubs and then catch the train from Hebden Bridge back to Rochdale. The walk is just under 10 miles and takes about 3 hours, it's a good day out with some stunning scenery and obviously it's the towpath all the way.

A few decent pubs in Hebden Bridge and it's famous for its picturesque Train Station and also it's plethora of Lesbians.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 16:15]

I live in Brighton. I doubt Hebden Bridge has got anything on it for lesbians.
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:34 - Aug 3 with 8904 viewsD_Alien

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:29 - Aug 3 by richfoad32

Thanks for the suggestions. Googled the Owd Betts, looks a little bit out of town on the main road, is it walkable?(I'm not driving). Quite unfamiliar with the area, all matches I've been too I'm usually away again the same day. The Hebden Bridge walk could be a winner, especially if it's all towpath and impossible to get lost. Whilst I love walking, my navigational skills are non existent and I don't think Search & Rescue like being disturbed on a Sunday. Cheers again.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 16:30]

You wouldn't want to be doing the Knowl Hill walk unless you're able to drive up there.

I agree with TS - can't go wrong with the Littleborough/ Hebden Bridge canal route. Not sure if the collective noun is "a plethora" though!

Login to get fewer ads

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:38 - Aug 3 with 8884 viewsBigKindo

Not for nowt is Hebden Bridge known as the lesbian capital of West Yorkshire. Seems that you might feel you're back in Brighton but a bit more hilly. .
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:43 - Aug 3 with 8856 viewsDaleiLama

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:34 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

You wouldn't want to be doing the Knowl Hill walk unless you're able to drive up there.

I agree with TS - can't go wrong with the Littleborough/ Hebden Bridge canal route. Not sure if the collective noun is "a plethora" though!

Surely a flange?!?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:49 - Aug 3 with 8835 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:34 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

You could stay on the train to Todmorden........the sign on the station says "Alight here for Rochdale Canal"........someone has very expertly removed the "C" on all the signs and the crowds are flocking in!
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:50 - Aug 3 with 8828 viewsBigKindo

Walks around Rochdale... on 16:43 - Aug 3 by DaleiLama

Surely a flange?!?

Surely a colony of lesbians. It is also the collective noun for a group of beavers.
Walks around Rochdale... on 16:52 - Aug 3 with 8819 viewsD_Alien

Surely a flange?!?

Aye! When richfoad gets there, he'll be hot but at least he won't be bothered!

Walks around Rochdale... on 17:52 - Aug 3 with 8702 viewsdingdangblue

Surely a flange?!?

A Posse ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Walks around Rochdale... on 10:41 - Aug 4 with 8271 viewsTomRAFC

Knowl hill and Owd betts are great. As is Greenbooth.

If you want to stay closer to Dale then Healey dell is great. Some stunning hidden places in there. Waterfalls and wears and all sorts.

Also if you walk the right way you can come out at The Healey for a pint.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2015 10:53]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Walks around Rochdale... on 10:44 - Aug 4 with 8263 viewsisitme

Walks around Rochdale... on 10:41 - Aug 4 by TomRAFC

Knowl hill and Owd betts are great. As is Greenbooth.

If you want to stay closer to Dale then Healey dell is great. Some stunning hidden places in there. Waterfalls and wears and all sorts.

Also if you walk the right way you can come out at The Healey for a pint.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2015 10:53]

The Healey is a good pub and serves decent food as well. The only thing I didn't like about Healey Dell is the amount of rubbish lying about. It is a real eyesore.
Walks around Rochdale... on 11:21 - Aug 4 with 8210 viewsmr_fri_night

Lots of walks around Hollingworth Lake. The hills nearby form part of the Pennine Way.
Walks around Rochdale... on 11:39 - Aug 4 with 8185 viewselectricblue

Why not have a nice lesurely walk through healy dell and then onto whitworth road for a few drinks....
Simple walk with a few pubs...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Walks around Rochdale... on 11:56 - Aug 4 with 8156 viewsRosun

There's a ramblers club that does organised walks...

http://www.rochdaleramblers.co.uk/Pages/SundayWalks.aspx

The sunday 9th one looks a bit like hard work though!
I'll be doing my walk to Norden Cricket Club via the Horse and Farrier with the dog.
Walks around Rochdale... on 20:01 - Aug 5 with 7833 viewsFatCat

A rug munch of lesbians?
Walks around Rochdale... on 20:08 - Aug 5 with 7807 viewsDaleView

I have always wanted to know where Lesbania was. Thought it was in Africa. Didn't know it was near Rochdale.
Walks around Rochdale... on 21:08 - Aug 10 with 7455 viewsrichfoad32

Just come back to say thanks for the Littleborough-Hebden Bridge canal suggestion. Did the walk, originally was going to hop a train at Hebden Bridge but was enjoying it so much I just walked back as well. Ample refreshment oppurtunities on route and a lovely walk, can imagine it's stunning in Autumn....A fine performance/result on Saturday as well, a great weekend all round. Cheers
Walks around Rochdale... on 21:53 - Aug 10 with 7337 viewsBrighouseDale

Walks around Rochdale... on 21:08 - Aug 10 by richfoad32

Just come back to say thanks for the Littleborough-Hebden Bridge canal suggestion. Did the walk, originally was going to hop a train at Hebden Bridge but was enjoying it so much I just walked back as well. Ample refreshment oppurtunities on route and a lovely walk, can imagine it's stunning in Autumn....A fine performance/result on Saturday as well, a great weekend all round. Cheers

Shame you didn't make it to the train station at Hebden Bridge (lovely place for an alfresco beer) but maybe next season! Pleased to hear you had a good day, and hope the weather stayed nice for ya.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Walks around Rochdale... on 08:04 - Aug 11 with 7142 viewsaleanddale

New micro pub in hebden bridge very good.

Can only seat 12 people but that adds to the fun.

Tucked away on the main high street by the bottom of the stairs to that Greek restaurant.

A really good drink these days is Hebden Bridge.
Walks around Rochdale... on 10:31 - Aug 11 with 7022 viewsD_Alien

Walks around Rochdale... on 08:04 - Aug 11 by aleanddale

New micro pub in hebden bridge very good.

Can only seat 12 people but that adds to the fun.

Tucked away on the main high street by the bottom of the stairs to that Greek restaurant.

A really good drink these days is Hebden Bridge.

Does it brew it's own ale, aleanddale?

Or should that be... aleandhebdenbridge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024