Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Injured supporter 14:42 - Aug 24 with 9219 viewsDySporting

Leighanne is trying to trace the supporter who went to hospital with a suspected broken wrist/arm after being hit by a stray shot in the warm up. It was a gent wearing a red top, sitting with 3/4 others
Injured supporter on 18:03 - Aug 25 with 3525 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Injured supporter on 17:38 - Aug 25 by 49thseason

I don't know if anyone has done a risk assessment on the pre-match shooting practice in front of paying customers in the Sandy Lane end and Pearl Street end. Its almost inevitable someone will get hurt eventually with the possibility of a court case resulting. Some kind of netting arrangement should be considered IMHO.
Maybe something like this would help
http://www.sportstop.com/Bow-Net-Portable-Lacrosse-Backstop-Wall-with-Roller-Bag

Agree..........PV was inches off knocking my coffee off the barriers against Posh!

Nearly ckoked on my pie!
Injured supporter on 18:09 - Aug 25 with 3523 viewsRalphs12

I don't know if anyone has done a risk assessment on the pre-match shooting practice in front of paying customers in the Sandy Lane end and Pearl Street end. Its almost inevitable someone will get hurt eventually with the possibility of a court case resulting. Some kind of netting arrangement should be considered IMHO.
http://www.sportstop.com/Bow-Net-Portable-Lacrosse-Backstop-Wall-with-Roller-Bag

They have netting in the TDS end so would have thought it would make sense for something to be in place in the sandy
Injured supporter on 18:12 - Aug 25 with 3508 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Injured supporter on 18:09 - Aug 25 by Ralphs12

They have netting in the TDS end so would have thought it would make sense for something to be in place in the sandy

no,it's only a bus shelter.
Injured supporter on 19:04 - Aug 25 with 3400 viewsdingdangblue

There is netting at the Pearl st end?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Injured supporter on 20:46 - Aug 25 with 3316 viewsjajadale

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/exeter-player-breaks-girlfriends-wri

Apparently the ball was heading for his girlfriend's mother's face before she reached out to stop it. They were having a good laugh about it on 5live on Saturday.
Injured supporter on 08:05 - Aug 26 with 3106 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

With regards to the Blackpool kids coach incident. I thought the rule with travel booking was that any child had to be accompanied by a paying adult on the coach?
Injured supporter on 08:47 - Aug 26 with 3034 viewsaleanddale

Injured supporter on 08:05 - Aug 26 by PaulHeymanGuy

With regards to the Blackpool kids coach incident. I thought the rule with travel booking was that any child had to be accompanied by a paying adult on the coach?

Think these children were really young adults...

Old enough to tell the time anyhow.
Injured supporter on 09:34 - Aug 26 with 2971 viewsNigeriamark

I'm always surprised that not many people are injured in cricket by sixes being hit into the crowd ( or at least I haven't seen many reports)

Your netting idea is a good one. I suppose it is cost, maintenance and how much it affects the view ( unless you drop it once the game starts)
Login to get fewer ads

Injured supporter on 10:35 - Aug 26 with 2906 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

A risk assessment? Really?

If you go to the football, you know full well that there's a chance of being hit by a stray ball. Whether it is in the warm up or not.

Get a grip!
Injured supporter on 10:40 - Aug 26 with 2893 viewsD_Alien

Injured supporter on 10:35 - Aug 26 by SimpkinsLeftPeg

If you go to the football, you know full well that there's a chance of being hit by a stray ball. Whether it is in the warm up or not.

Get a grip!

Totally agree with you.

There is a higher chance of being hit in the warm-up, because whilst during the game you'll be watching the action, during the warm up you might be chatting with mates or just not looking at what's happening.

Ridiculous concept, though.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Injured supporter on 11:02 - Aug 26 with 2868 views49thseason

Get a grip!

Really? The fact that there is a net at one end and not the other means that the club has racognised there is a problem, not to protect fans at the other end is simply inviting a claim. If a ball was to smash into someones face breaking their nose, smashing their glasses and blinding them in one eye they would be looking at up to 100k in compensation, plus loss of earnings etc. A broken arm is probably 20k -30k more if it results in permenant disability.
There are no warning notices, and no attempt to protect people -virtually no defence could be offered in court. This is a disaster for the club and the injured party just waiting to happen. And their are lots of lawyers who would love to sue a football club.
Injured supporter on 11:08 - Aug 26 with 2848 viewsD_Alien

Injured supporter on 11:02 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

Really? The fact that there is a net at one end and not the other means that the club has racognised there is a problem, not to protect fans at the other end is simply inviting a claim. If a ball was to smash into someones face breaking their nose, smashing their glasses and blinding them in one eye they would be looking at up to 100k in compensation, plus loss of earnings etc. A broken arm is probably 20k -30k more if it results in permenant disability.
There are no warning notices, and no attempt to protect people -virtually no defence could be offered in court. This is a disaster for the club and the injured party just waiting to happen. And their are lots of lawyers who would love to sue a football club.

I disagree; and so must most football clubs with spectators present behind the goals, otherwise they'd all have netting installed - including us at both ends. The netting in the Pearl St is mainly on the Family Stand side, as a precaution in case a ball should hit a child, but the risk is entirely with the adult bringing the child into the ground (please don't start on about "trying to attract young fans")

And you really think a sign is needed to warn people that balls are likely to be kicked into the crowd when they can see what's happening in front of their own eyes?

Maybe it should just say "Beware - you're at a football match"

[Post edited 26 Aug 2015 11:09]

Injured supporter on 11:13 - Aug 26 with 2829 viewszxcvbnm

Clubs will be insured, it'll have public liability insurance. At hull last night there were warning signs. As for the bloke who got injured, unfortunate, feel sorry for him but when you just stick one hand in the air to block a fast moving ball you are asking for trouble

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Injured supporter on 11:14 - Aug 26 with 2825 viewsdingdangblue

Injured supporter on 11:08 - Aug 26 by D_Alien

I disagree; and so must most football clubs with spectators present behind the goals, otherwise they'd all have netting installed - including us at both ends. The netting in the Pearl St is mainly on the Family Stand side, as a precaution in case a ball should hit a child, but the risk is entirely with the adult bringing the child into the ground (please don't start on about "trying to attract young fans")

And you really think a sign is needed to warn people that balls are likely to be kicked into the crowd when they can see what's happening in front of their own eyes?

Maybe it should just say "Beware - you're at a football match"

[Post edited 26 Aug 2015 11:09]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Injured supporter on 11:28 - Aug 26 with 2812 viewsKenBoon

"Beware flying balls"
Injured supporter on 12:02 - Aug 26 with 2676 viewsTVOS1907

Get a grip!

Spot on, especially as there were big signs on the doors to the stand at Chesterfield warning fans of such a possibility while the players were warming up.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Injured supporter on 12:03 - Aug 26 with 2676 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

Injured supporter on 11:02 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

"3 The Club excludes to the maximum extent permitted by law any liability for loss, injury or damage to persons/property in or around the Ground."

That's on our official website. I'm guessing "maximum extent permitted by law" includes flying footballs. At a football match.

There's no legislation to put any netting up at a football ground. The club have put netting up in front of the family stand as a gesture of goodwill.

If you go to the football (or anywhere, for that matter) you do so at your own risk.
Injured supporter on 12:41 - Aug 26 with 2609 viewsJumeirahDale

I don't think it is ridiculous in this day and age for someone to highlight whether the club has considered these measures (attitudes like "get a grip" are clearly common sense, but unfortunately our legal system hasn't developed in the same way, hence the slew of ambulance chasers all over the telly). I had the same thought myself recently when seeing the videos of the half time challenge - more of a general fleeting thought - "if some pleb broke their ankle doing this and tried to sue the club, I wonder if they would have a claim?". I'm no lawyer but I believe there is a legal concept called "assumption of risk" which would cover something like being hit with a ball; it is generally accepted that you take such risks when going to a match, so the club would have an argument that it isn't their fault. In a similar manner, the rules / procedure for the HT competition are clearly explained to the participants, so I assume that's the point when they "accept" the risk.

The above being said, as someone has mentioned, the club will no doubt have public liability insurance anyway to cover for such events. Worth noting though that putting a sign or a net up, or giving out a warning, would be a clear argument to your insurer for reducing your premium! As well as the goodwill gesture, I'd imagine this is part of the reason some clubs do it.
Injured supporter on 13:17 - Aug 26 with 2550 viewsD_Alien

Injured supporter on 12:41 - Aug 26 by JumeirahDale

I don't think it is ridiculous in this day and age for someone to highlight whether the club has considered these measures (attitudes like "get a grip" are clearly common sense, but unfortunately our legal system hasn't developed in the same way, hence the slew of ambulance chasers all over the telly). I had the same thought myself recently when seeing the videos of the half time challenge - more of a general fleeting thought - "if some pleb broke their ankle doing this and tried to sue the club, I wonder if they would have a claim?". I'm no lawyer but I believe there is a legal concept called "assumption of risk" which would cover something like being hit with a ball; it is generally accepted that you take such risks when going to a match, so the club would have an argument that it isn't their fault. In a similar manner, the rules / procedure for the HT competition are clearly explained to the participants, so I assume that's the point when they "accept" the risk.

The above being said, as someone has mentioned, the club will no doubt have public liability insurance anyway to cover for such events. Worth noting though that putting a sign or a net up, or giving out a warning, would be a clear argument to your insurer for reducing your premium! As well as the goodwill gesture, I'd imagine this is part of the reason some clubs do it.

Yes, you're right, and in retrospect I was wrong to label it as a ridiculous concept; though what I think I was getting at there was the idea that the public needs to be treated like idiots with no sense of personal responsibility for placing themselves (or their children) in a situation where they can't identify the risk for themselves.

Injured supporter on 13:33 - Aug 26 with 2514 viewsTVOS1907

Injured supporter on 12:41 - Aug 26 by JumeirahDale

I believe the participants in the half-time thing have to sign some sort of disclaimer before they do it.

Injured supporter on 14:27 - Aug 26 with 2440 views49thseason

I think there is quite a big difference between being hit by the matchball when everyone can be expected to be concentrating on the game and being hit by one of several incoming footballs either as a result of a meaningful practice or as a consequence of several players attempting the crossbar challenge at the same time.

By putting a net up at one end the club has accepted the possibility that a paying customer may get injured. To ignore the possibility that an injury may happen at the other end of the ground from a similar cause is wilful neglect and may well invalidate their insurance.
Injured supporter on 21:29 - Aug 27 with 2223 viewsBrierls

I think the club have got it right by trying to contact the injured fan to offer apologies and possibly a token gift for the pain suffered.

Anybody who goes to a football match and doesn't appreciate they might get hit by a stray football if they don't have their eyes on the pitch is very naive.

Even the pigeons knew about it when Keith Barker was playing for us.
Injured supporter on 06:08 - Aug 28 with 2050 viewsPDIDDY

Injured supporter on 13:33 - Aug 26 by TVOS1907

I believe the participants in the half-time thing have to sign some sort of disclaimer before they do it.

True, but why wouldn't it be? You are always correct

Gissa job

Injured supporter on 11:50 - Aug 28 with 1933 viewsTVOS1907

Injured supporter on 06:08 - Aug 28 by PDIDDY

True, but why wouldn't it be? You are always correct

Thanks for the compliment.

Injured supporter on 19:32 - Aug 29 with 1721 viewsNinco

Injured supporter on 17:55 - Aug 25 by SuddenLad

My grandson was whacked directly in the face by a stray shot from Wayne Curtis a few seasons ago. Bit his lip and bled for a while, but no worse than that. This was in the warm-up before the Morecambe match, We were sat fairly well back and he was very distressed as a result. He was 7 years old. He was ultimately none the worse for the experience but will never forget it. I suppose on a different day there may have been a different outcome.

To his credit, Wayne Curtis came to the stand to see how he was as he realised what had happened. A few apologetic words went a long way.

The club were made aware of what had happened but we never heard any more about it. Not even a reply.

If you go and catch a train or a bus, and you are late, and the train/bus has already gone, you don't complain to the train/bus company as it's your own fault for not getting there on time. The same applies in this case. How is it the club's fault that your kids didn't get there on time? Why are you blaming them?

It's arrogant to expect everyone else on the bus to wait behind just because your kids can't be bothered getting to the coach on time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024