Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... 19:52 - Oct 3 with 4719 viewsD_Alien

... I'm now going to put myself through watching England being the first host nation to slip out of the World Cup in the group stages *

After last Saturday's Wales debacle, it'll be like deja vu all over again (as Yogi Berra, who died this week, once said)

* hope the RG's are watching too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 18:24 - Oct 6 with 1723 viewsdownunder

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:50 - Oct 6 by SuddenLad

Not only late, but pointless to ban him from a meaningless game. A 2 game ban would have had an effect. The Wales game is a dead rubber. He can have a nice rest.

Disagree that the Wales game is a dead rubber. Critical to finish top of the group if they want to avoid South Africa in the QF. Agree that he deserves a 2 game ban. Could have resulted in a serious injury, and he had no need to enter the ruck like an Exocet.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:50 - Oct 6 with 1683 viewsmingthemerciless

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:50 - Oct 6 by SuddenLad

Not only late, but pointless to ban him from a meaningless game. A 2 game ban would have had an effect. The Wales game is a dead rubber. He can have a nice rest.

Not exactly nothing to play for. The winners get to play Scotland I think and the losers play South Africa.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 04:03 - Oct 7 with 1628 viewsDiddyDave

Ha ha ha,all the people on here trying to make sense out of a brainless game, the refs included. The last time I watched this shite (would`ve been thirty odd years ago in NZ) the refs blew penalties all the time for things nobody could fathom, so I take it nothing much has changed? Just ignore it, it`ll be all gone soon.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 09:41 - Oct 7 with 1588 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12046906_9241009
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 09:48 - Oct 7 with 1584 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 04:03 - Oct 7 by DiddyDave

Ha ha ha,all the people on here trying to make sense out of a brainless game, the refs included. The last time I watched this shite (would`ve been thirty odd years ago in NZ) the refs blew penalties all the time for things nobody could fathom, so I take it nothing much has changed? Just ignore it, it`ll be all gone soon.

"The last time I watched this shite (would`ve been thirty odd years ago in NZ) the refs blew penalties all the time for things nobody could fathom, so I take it nothing much has changed? "

Yes, a totally different game from soccer....
[Post edited 7 Oct 2015 9:49]
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 13:17 - Oct 7 with 1534 viewspioneer

i read posts on here after Dale most games by some people complaining about referees blowing up for infringements that nobody can fathom.

If you take the trouble to understand the laws and listen to the referee's explanations of the infringements he has seen you might understand the game a little better.

If only footballers accepted referees decisions like rugby players have to. That 10 yard penalty for talking back must have something to do with it.

Both games have their positive and negative aspects - played at its best Rugby Union is a thrilling game, just like football, when played at its best. I wasn't at the Bradford game but it sounded like it wasn't very attractive to the eye - doesn't mean its a crap game or we are a crap team.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 13:37 - Oct 7 with 1521 viewsisitme

In rugby refs signal to the crowd what the penalty was given for. During live games you get ref link so can hear the communication between them and the players. If football refs had the same ability as the likes of Nigel Owens, games would flow much better.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:13 - Oct 7 with 1482 views1mark1

Missed the Chase this afternoon, as ITV had the RU on. So watched Antiques Roadshow instead.
Seriously though, I think it's about time ITV and BBC both had a dedicated sports channel, though this could be difficult with cuts, or at least put minority sports like RU on ITV 3 or 4. :)

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Login to get fewer ads

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:15 - Oct 7 with 1474 viewsD_Alien

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:13 - Oct 7 by 1mark1

Missed the Chase this afternoon, as ITV had the RU on. So watched Antiques Roadshow instead.
Seriously though, I think it's about time ITV and BBC both had a dedicated sports channel, though this could be difficult with cuts, or at least put minority sports like RU on ITV 3 or 4. :)

Isn't fishing the most popular "sport" in the UK? That'll go down well on mainstream!

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:32 - Oct 7 with 1459 views1mark1

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:15 - Oct 7 by D_Alien

Isn't fishing the most popular "sport" in the UK? That'll go down well on mainstream!

I just think that too often regular, often ones I don't like, are replaced by sport, which might suit those of us who like that sport, but it is unfair to those having to miss their programme. Agree regarding fishing, even more boring than RU to me, though obviously some do like it. Obviously a dedicated ITV sports channel would include sports not normally seen on tele, and could easily be avoided, when the RU, Man Utd or fishing is on. :)

I am sure if the RU had been put on ITV4 it would have been watched by those who wanted to watch it, without those who wanted to watch the likes of Granada Reports, The Chase etc.

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:16 - Oct 7 with 1445 viewsrichfoad32

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 19:32 - Oct 7 by 1mark1

I just think that too often regular, often ones I don't like, are replaced by sport, which might suit those of us who like that sport, but it is unfair to those having to miss their programme. Agree regarding fishing, even more boring than RU to me, though obviously some do like it. Obviously a dedicated ITV sports channel would include sports not normally seen on tele, and could easily be avoided, when the RU, Man Utd or fishing is on. :)

I am sure if the RU had been put on ITV4 it would have been watched by those who wanted to watch it, without those who wanted to watch the likes of Granada Reports, The Chase etc.

And would people be expected to pay for this dedicated sports channel? Makes me laugh that whenever an event such as the football or rugby world cups roll around then people moan about their viewing being. Interrupted as if the TV schedules should be specifically tailored for them. I pay my licence fee too and for a month every couple of years I actually have summat I want to watch. The other 48 weeks of the year people have their soaps, game shows and reality crap I'm not the slightest bit interested in, why not put them on a dedicated channel?
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:42 - Oct 7 with 1427 viewspioneer

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:16 - Oct 7 by richfoad32

And would people be expected to pay for this dedicated sports channel? Makes me laugh that whenever an event such as the football or rugby world cups roll around then people moan about their viewing being. Interrupted as if the TV schedules should be specifically tailored for them. I pay my licence fee too and for a month every couple of years I actually have summat I want to watch. The other 48 weeks of the year people have their soaps, game shows and reality crap I'm not the slightest bit interested in, why not put them on a dedicated channel?

Yes, of course - in fact we already have several dedicated sports channels....called sky. But that is because the free to air channels cannot afford to purchase too much sport given the costs, and the amounts they pay their 'experts'.
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:53 - Oct 7 with 1415 viewsdownunder

You might be onto something there. Like that "sport" Darts! Set up a big tent just off the Canal, and sell beer. Flash clothing, fans in fancy dress, big logos for sponsored fishing gear and a commentator with a catchphrase or two..."gggreeeeeeaattt Cast", and " He's got a Perch".
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 21:58 - Oct 7 with 1384 views1mark1

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:16 - Oct 7 by richfoad32

You are right, yes we should be able to watch our stuff. ITV maybe could afford a Sports channel, paid through the way they already pay for their stuff. If not like I say, put it on ITV 3 or 4 sometimes.

And as a football lover I too want to be able to watch World Cups etc, just they could utilise channels 2,3,4 more than they do. For example the Women's world cup, was shown mainly on BBC 2 and 4 , rather than BBC 1. I wouldn't have said what I said of course if I had been a RU supporter, and I admit to carrying out a bit of winding up.

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 22:05 - Oct 7 with 1381 views1mark1

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:42 - Oct 7 by pioneer

Yes, of course - in fact we already have several dedicated sports channels....called sky. But that is because the free to air channels cannot afford to purchase too much sport given the costs, and the amounts they pay their 'experts'.

Very true.

Now realise that having the 4 channels is enough, and yes not affordable to have a dedicated sports channel.

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 23:43 - Oct 7 with 1299 viewsD_Alien

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 20:53 - Oct 7 by downunder

You might be onto something there. Like that "sport" Darts! Set up a big tent just off the Canal, and sell beer. Flash clothing, fans in fancy dress, big logos for sponsored fishing gear and a commentator with a catchphrase or two..."gggreeeeeeaattt Cast", and " He's got a Perch".

I'd see it as a couple of blokes sat contemplating t' drizzle with nowt on t' end of their rods - not there to catch owt, just to escape the missus. Then the camera pans to their missus's (missi ?) and a starting gun as they race from their front doors to be the first to reach t' cut. Bonus points can then be given for artistic interpretation as they launch into a barrage of hubby abuse.

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 00:51 - Oct 8 with 1266 viewsdownunder

Actually, just occurred to me that here in NZ we have 3 fishing shows on TV, including a competitive "boat against boat' series. They are all watchable, and one of them, which is on "prime time" on Saturday is excellent. All Sea fishing based though.
The ITM Fishing Show is hosted by the guy that jumps out of helicopters, onto a shark, and other stunts. Too PC for the UK
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 07:20 - Oct 8 with 1224 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 00:51 - Oct 8 by downunder

Actually, just occurred to me that here in NZ we have 3 fishing shows on TV, including a competitive "boat against boat' series. They are all watchable, and one of them, which is on "prime time" on Saturday is excellent. All Sea fishing based though.
The ITM Fishing Show is hosted by the guy that jumps out of helicopters, onto a shark, and other stunts. Too PC for the UK

I have a fishing channel and golf channel on my True Visions subscription (in Thailand). Both lacking the interest for me to watch :-)
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:40 - Oct 8 with 1168 viewspioneer

Whatever happened to "One man and his dog' -gripping TV delivered in reet proper Cumbrian accents that only a small % of viewers could understand.

Apart from the occasional 'good bitch' I thought I was watching a foreign language programme
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:54 - Oct 8 with 1165 viewsSuddenLad

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:40 - Oct 8 by pioneer

Whatever happened to "One man and his dog' -gripping TV delivered in reet proper Cumbrian accents that only a small % of viewers could understand.

Apart from the occasional 'good bitch' I thought I was watching a foreign language programme

One Man & His Dog is now included as a part of the Countryfile programme shown on BBC1 on Sunday night at 7.00pm.

Obviously not deemed worthy of its' own TV slot as a stand alone programme, since the death of the stalwart presenters Phil Drabble and Eric Halsall. It was always entertaining if only for its' 'Northern quirkiness'

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 17:00 - Oct 8 with 1131 viewsfermin

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 15:54 - Oct 8 by SuddenLad

One Man & His Dog is now included as a part of the Countryfile programme shown on BBC1 on Sunday night at 7.00pm.

Obviously not deemed worthy of its' own TV slot as a stand alone programme, since the death of the stalwart presenters Phil Drabble and Eric Halsall. It was always entertaining if only for its' 'Northern quirkiness'

Sheepdog trialling is not particularly a northern thing, but from all over the British Isles (and the world) in the areas where they handle sheep. For example, my uncle was on One Man and his Dog many years ago (he was a national champion) and he was from the Welsh border with an accent to match. If you are really interested it is certainly still covered on S4C (Treialon Cwn Defaid) in Welsh obviously:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=530254224
And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 17:07 - Oct 8 with 1124 viewsSuddenLad

And as if this afternoon wasn't bad enough... on 17:00 - Oct 8 by fermin

Sheepdog trialling is not particularly a northern thing, but from all over the British Isles (and the world) in the areas where they handle sheep. For example, my uncle was on One Man and his Dog many years ago (he was a national champion) and he was from the Welsh border with an accent to match. If you are really interested it is certainly still covered on S4C (Treialon Cwn Defaid) in Welsh obviously:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=530254224

Yes, I agree with that, it's a national event, with a long and proud heritage in Wales, but the two presenters were from Burnley and Derbyshire and some of the language and terminology was amusing and their easy, friendly and avuncular manner was part of the programmes' attraction..

They captured the viewers hearts and subsequent presenters never quite re-created that empathy and viewing audiences plummeted.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024