Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fleetwood. 16:53 - Oct 6 with 2670 viewsBigKindo

Apoint their new manager, former Coventry City boss Steven Pressley.
Fleetwood. on 21:20 - Oct 6 with 2562 viewsRosun

Looks like they have a thing for managers who look like Catweazle.
Can someone pass Hilly a razor?
Fleetwood. on 21:22 - Oct 6 with 2549 viewsColDale

Rotherham have had approaches for Jimmy Floyd at Burton and Dean Smith at Walsall turned down. You would have to assume that Hilly will fit their criteria of what they're looking at.
Fleetwood. on 21:25 - Oct 6 with 2539 viewsRosun

Fleetwood. on 21:22 - Oct 6 by ColDale

Rotherham have had approaches for Jimmy Floyd at Burton and Dean Smith at Walsall turned down. You would have to assume that Hilly will fit their criteria of what they're looking at.

It's a shoe in for Sam Allardyce. Only he could fill the previous manager's shoes / trousers.
Fleetwood. on 11:08 - Oct 7 with 2410 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fleetwood. on 21:25 - Oct 6 by Rosun

It's a shoe in for Sam Allardyce. Only he could fill the previous manager's shoes / trousers.

lol

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Fleetwood. on 12:29 - Oct 7 with 2293 viewsD_Dale

Pressley is the sort of manager who always has an excuse for a poor result (though it's never his fault). I think he'll need one on Saturday when Coventry are likely to take the points.

As for Hill going to Rotherham, his failure up the road at Barnsleyshould keep him off the shortlist. In any case, would he want to be accountable to a chairman who apparently got rid of a generally successful manage? (If Evans chose to leave, he seems not to have had another job lined up.)
Fleetwood. on 13:06 - Oct 7 with 2228 viewsfitzochris

Fleetwood. on 12:29 - Oct 7 by D_Dale

Pressley is the sort of manager who always has an excuse for a poor result (though it's never his fault). I think he'll need one on Saturday when Coventry are likely to take the points.

As for Hill going to Rotherham, his failure up the road at Barnsleyshould keep him off the shortlist. In any case, would he want to be accountable to a chairman who apparently got rid of a generally successful manage? (If Evans chose to leave, he seems not to have had another job lined up.)

Pressley turned down the Dundee United job because he was about to take a "big job in England". Now, I know Fleetwood have made great strides in a short space of time, but still.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fleetwood. on 22:38 - Oct 9 with 1992 viewsD_Dale

I suppose there is a bit of similarity between Hilly and Redfearn.

http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/rotherham-united-neil-redfearn-2736935.
Fleetwood. on 07:06 - Oct 10 with 1906 viewsTalkingSutty

Hilly mentioned something about players and managers looking after their family when it comes down to decisions in football and he's spot on. When the big pay day comes along he would be daft not to take it, he's too good for league one anyway. If he failed miserably, there would always be a job for him at Spotland.

His achievements the second time around have trumped his first spell, but bearing in mind the set up of the Club and our paltry crowds maybe he is close to taking the Club as far as they can realistically go with the finances at his disposal. If there was a burning desire within the club to take the next step and push on into the Chamionship it's being whispered very, very quietly and it's only that ambition which I think would keep him here over the next couple of years. We need a rich investor quickly.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 7:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Fleetwood. on 12:11 - Oct 10 with 1807 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood. on 07:06 - Oct 10 by TalkingSutty

Hilly mentioned something about players and managers looking after their family when it comes down to decisions in football and he's spot on. When the big pay day comes along he would be daft not to take it, he's too good for league one anyway. If he failed miserably, there would always be a job for him at Spotland.

His achievements the second time around have trumped his first spell, but bearing in mind the set up of the Club and our paltry crowds maybe he is close to taking the Club as far as they can realistically go with the finances at his disposal. If there was a burning desire within the club to take the next step and push on into the Chamionship it's being whispered very, very quietly and it's only that ambition which I think would keep him here over the next couple of years. We need a rich investor quickly.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 7:23]

What makes you think he's too good for L1?

He's successful at this level, but there's no evidence that, given a much bigger budget and even bigger egos to work with, he'd be anywhere near as successful. In fact, there's some evidence to the contrary.

If he took Dale into the championship, he'd be managing on his own terms. Seems to me that's the only way for him to do what he does best.

Edit: and I'd suggest the last thing we need is a rich investor. Once the money-tree dries up, the Dale would bomb through the leagues faster than you could say Stockport County.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 12:23]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fleetwood. on 16:26 - Oct 10 with 1705 views49thseason

Fleetwood. on 12:11 - Oct 10 by D_Alien

He's successful at this level, but there's no evidence that, given a much bigger budget and even bigger egos to work with, he'd be anywhere near as successful. In fact, there's some evidence to the contrary.

If he took Dale into the championship, he'd be managing on his own terms. Seems to me that's the only way for him to do what he does best.

Edit: and I'd suggest the last thing we need is a rich investor. Once the money-tree dries up, the Dale would bomb through the leagues faster than you could say Stockport County.

I guess it depends on the sort of investment. If someone were to underwrite the Academy or purchase of the stadium I think we would all welcome it. Its when the wages depend on a benefactor that it gets tricky.
Fleetwood. on 16:28 - Oct 10 with 1696 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood. on 16:26 - Oct 10 by 49thseason

I guess it depends on the sort of investment. If someone were to underwrite the Academy or purchase of the stadium I think we would all welcome it. Its when the wages depend on a benefactor that it gets tricky.

True, but following TS's line of thought, he seems to be suggesting we need someone to plough cash straight into the first team, in order to retain Hilly's services.

Fleetwood. on 16:38 - Oct 10 with 1669 views49thseason

Fleetwood. on 16:28 - Oct 10 by D_Alien

True, but following TS's line of thought, he seems to be suggesting we need someone to plough cash straight into the first team, in order to retain Hilly's services.

I was thinking that the monies set aside for Academy / Stadium would be freed up for team building if a benefactor took those projects on. I suspect there must be reduced funds for the manager at the moment bearing in mind those two ongoing projects. I think this is really a survival in the division season rather than a kick on season.
Fleetwood. on 19:44 - Oct 10 with 1611 viewsTalkingSutty

Fleetwood. on 12:11 - Oct 10 by D_Alien

So basically you think my post was a load of bo**ocks ☺. I do think Hilly should be managing at a higher level, he is improving with age and what he has achieved at Rochdale under the budget constraints is amazing. Barnsley was the wrong club for Hilly and money starts to talk at Championship level which makes Barnsley one of the smaller fish in the pond. Get him the right club and i think he would do very well.
Fleetwood. on 20:05 - Oct 10 with 1573 viewsRosun

Fleetwood. on 19:44 - Oct 10 by TalkingSutty

So basically you think my post was a load of bo**ocks ☺. I do think Hilly should be managing at a higher level, he is improving with age and what he has achieved at Rochdale under the budget constraints is amazing. Barnsley was the wrong club for Hilly and money starts to talk at Championship level which makes Barnsley one of the smaller fish in the pond. Get him the right club and i think he would do very well.

I think you're both right!

It's not the football club or size of the crowds or the potential. It's all about the ownership structure or Chairman.

Hilly's the King of all he surveys at Dale, from the academy to the first team. It's his staff who he works with and with regard to footballing matters it's his decision which is final. No transfer committee or director of football here.

I'm trying to think of another football club where KH would fit in. It'd have to be one that hasn't gone bust / into administration recently, where the board are focused on running an efficient operation, the fans on board too. Huddersfield? Ipswich?
Fleetwood. on 20:07 - Oct 10 with 1568 viewsTalkingSutty

Fleetwood. on 16:28 - Oct 10 by D_Alien

Yes, i just think our budget costraints will eventully mean that keep having to sell our best players always results in us just falling short of taking the next step. A bit like banging your head against a brick wall, couple that with the fact our home support seems to be actually decreasing, i am wondering if this is as good as it gets, if so its not a bad place to drop anchor.

We all like to poke fun at bury but Hilly must be green with envy when he looks at their training facilities and the players they have attracted to the club, to be truthful i am very surprised Hilly wasnt poached from us last season.
Fleetwood. on 22:11 - Oct 10 with 1469 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood. on 19:44 - Oct 10 by TalkingSutty

No, not a load of bollocks, but making a lot of assumptions where there's no need to.

First, that Hilly would find any other environment amenable to his way of doing things; second, that he'd be able to utilise a big budget effectively (he's no experience of doing so) and regarding a major input of funding to the Dale, that this would be used in a way that Hilly thought appropriate. If, as others have suggested, it was utilised on infrastructure rather than transfer fees and salaries, that'd take several years to come to fruition. The club will have plans in place to keep building up the infrastructure based on our existing model of finance - which might well mean continuing to sell on talent. At whichever level, talent will always be poached by even richer rivals / premier league clubs, which happened at Barnsley. I can't see someone above that standard taking a risk on him, can you?

Fleetwood. on 22:55 - Oct 10 with 1414 viewsTalkingSutty

Fleetwood. on 22:11 - Oct 10 by D_Alien

No, not a load of bollocks, but making a lot of assumptions where there's no need to.

First, that Hilly would find any other environment amenable to his way of doing things; second, that he'd be able to utilise a big budget effectively (he's no experience of doing so) and regarding a major input of funding to the Dale, that this would be used in a way that Hilly thought appropriate. If, as others have suggested, it was utilised on infrastructure rather than transfer fees and salaries, that'd take several years to come to fruition. The club will have plans in place to keep building up the infrastructure based on our existing model of finance - which might well mean continuing to sell on talent. At whichever level, talent will always be poached by even richer rivals / premier league clubs, which happened at Barnsley. I can't see someone above that standard taking a risk on him, can you?

What makes you think he couldnt manage a big budget? Why couldnt he find another club anenable to his way of doing things, others have already suggested a couple of clubs?

Assumptions are the same as opinions and are what feed football forums. I have faith in Hilly that he would thrive at a decent Championship Club, i could be completely wrong. Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant to me but dont try to insinuate that theres no need to have a opinion on the managers capabilities or long term ambitions. Its quite normal to be ambitious, it can make you wealthy.
Fleetwood. on 23:19 - Oct 10 with 1378 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Walsall next season........?
Fleetwood. on 23:29 - Oct 10 with 1362 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood. on 22:55 - Oct 10 by TalkingSutty

What makes you think he couldnt manage a big budget? Why couldnt he find another club anenable to his way of doing things, others have already suggested a couple of clubs?

Assumptions are the same as opinions and are what feed football forums. I have faith in Hilly that he would thrive at a decent Championship Club, i could be completely wrong. Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant to me but dont try to insinuate that theres no need to have a opinion on the managers capabilities or long term ambitions. Its quite normal to be ambitious, it can make you wealthy.

I'm very much in the "let all opinions flourish" camp, but the observations I've made are based on what's happened thus far in his career, not what might happen. It's as simple as that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024