Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hebden Bridge - pub advice 13:31 - Oct 7 with 4966 viewsdeezel

I've got the day off work tomorrow and i'm going walking around the Hebden Bridge area

Any advice re a decent real ale pub in HB (I always like to try locally brewed ales) ?

Thanks
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 14:21 - Oct 7 with 4914 viewsSandyman

Fox & Goose and the Trades Club do good ales.
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 15:08 - Oct 7 with 4843 viewsaleanddale

3 very good pubs now in hebden bridge. ( real ale )

The ones either end of the pedestrian shopping street forget the names white something top end and the one on the bridge at the train station end ( old gate ) look out for the donkey size Irish wolfhound it's the biggest dog I have ever seen its huge!!

Then there is the New micro brewery tucked away by the steps leading up to the old theo Greek restaurant. Just love it in that place and all local ale!!
[Post edited 7 Oct 2015 15:15]
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 15:10 - Oct 7 with 4836 viewsD_Alien

Stubbin Wharf

http://www.stubbingwharf.com

Lovely canalside location. If the sun's shining, no better place for a pint from their range of well-kept cask ales.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 15:57 - Oct 7 with 4781 viewsNigeriamark

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 14:21 - Oct 7 by Sandyman

Fox & Goose and the Trades Club do good ales.

Agree on Fox & Goose: excellent.

If you want to go up the hill towards Keighley to Pecket Well ( May have spelt it wrong) the 1 pub in Old Town ( Not in Peket Well itself) has a full range of Timmy Taylors and a very high quality menu. Chef went to India to learn how to make curries, and they have a special pie menu too - Big portions so no need for a starter. Only opens at 6.00 though but some good walking up there
[Post edited 7 Oct 2015 15:59]
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 16:28 - Oct 7 with 4742 viewsdeezel

Thanks guys

I've had a trawl on t'interweb, the pub by the station, not surprisingly, is the Railway and the one down the road is the White Lion

The latest entries on Tripadvisor for the Fox & Goose say the beer is nice but that the pub smell of Rats(!) and/or sick

I've found the address for Theo's Restaurant so should be able to find the micro brewery, which seems a must go to in my beer addled eyes

Talking of micro breweries if you're heading to Doncaster for your away game you must try the Doncaster Brewery Tap, down a side street fairly near the station and well worth a visit
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 17:02 - Oct 7 with 4704 viewsD_Alien

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 16:28 - Oct 7 by deezel

Thanks guys

I've had a trawl on t'interweb, the pub by the station, not surprisingly, is the Railway and the one down the road is the White Lion

The latest entries on Tripadvisor for the Fox & Goose say the beer is nice but that the pub smell of Rats(!) and/or sick

I've found the address for Theo's Restaurant so should be able to find the micro brewery, which seems a must go to in my beer addled eyes

Talking of micro breweries if you're heading to Doncaster for your away game you must try the Doncaster Brewery Tap, down a side street fairly near the station and well worth a visit

deezel, can you post a reminder about the Doncaster Brewery Tap before the game on t' 21 November? I'll have forgotten by then (too much ale!). Cheers.

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 17:23 - Oct 7 with 4674 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 15:10 - Oct 7 by D_Alien

Stubbin Wharf

http://www.stubbingwharf.com

Lovely canalside location. If the sun's shining, no better place for a pint from their range of well-kept cask ales.

Frequented the "Stubbinz" many a time......it's actually below the Rochdale Canal which runs alongside.

Good food (recommend the Steak and Ale Pie) and generous portions.

Get's busy around tea time.
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 17:29 - Oct 7 with 4659 viewsHopwoodblue

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 17:23 - Oct 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

Frequented the "Stubbinz" many a time......it's actually below the Rochdale Canal which runs alongside.

Good food (recommend the Steak and Ale Pie) and generous portions.

Get's busy around tea time.

The Old Gate (use to be the Inn on the Bridge) has keg ale as well as real ale. Also has a restaurant upstairs. Good menu at the White Lion at the top end of the Main Street. I'd give the Shoulder of Mutton a miss though. The Alberts not bad which is round the corner from the Railway on the front street.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Login to get fewer ads

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 19:12 - Oct 7 with 4568 viewsDomDale

Agree with all suggestions so far. Also recommend the station bar. and Calan's Micro Pub which is just off the main shopping street opposite coffee Cali. If you know the town well it used to be a sweet shop. Then a tea shop. Now a tiny pub but well priced and good stock of draught ale and real cider.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 20:42 - Oct 7 with 4488 viewsWalboro

Robin Hood Cragg Vale cracking old world pub Excellent hand pulled ales and lagers and Home cooked food.Muddy boots and dogs welcome.Also an extensive Gin selection.
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 20:51 - Oct 7 with 4474 viewsTVOS1907

Thanks guys

The Railway isn't by the station as such, but it is the closest. It's about a 5-10 minute walk away - come out of the station and walk to Burnley Road, turn left, walk down the hill and you'll soon see it on your right.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 06:55 - Oct 8 with 4319 viewsaleanddale

Thanks guys

It's not named Theo's anymore it is under new management.

But you can't miss the micro pub it's just at the back of the small courtyard to the left of the restaurant steps.

Good little day out is Hebden Bridge.

Please post your review as a just got back!!!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2015 6:56]
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 16:32 - Oct 8 with 4191 viewsdeezel

In the Fox and Goose now

I'll post more tomorrow

I took a photo of the back of the seats on the train as well!
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 18:03 - Oct 8 with 4134 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 16:32 - Oct 8 by deezel

In the Fox and Goose now

I'll post more tomorrow

I took a photo of the back of the seats on the train as well!

Still looking like a right shit-heap from outside?

Can you smell the rats/sick.........have an Guinness on Dale Fans.
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 18:24 - Oct 8 with 4123 viewsPDIDDY

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 06:55 - Oct 8 by aleanddale

It's not named Theo's anymore it is under new management.

But you can't miss the micro pub it's just at the back of the small courtyard to the left of the restaurant steps.

Good little day out is Hebden Bridge.

Please post your review as a just got back!!!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2015 6:56]

Any Budweiser ?

Gissa job

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 06:42 - Oct 9 with 3961 viewsBrighouseDale

I was in the Fox and Goose recently, to me it just reeked of damp. It was pretty overwhelming. Probably something to do with it being built into the hillside, apparently in winter they have a stream running through the bar. Although I admire the locals who've taken it over as a Co-operative, I wouldn't rush back.

There is actually a small bar on the train station, next to the waiting room. It's all bottles but they have a good selection of local beers, and had live music last time I visited on a Saturday tea time.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 13:04 - Oct 9 with 3868 viewsdeezel

Had a great day walking and supping...

Good transport connections got me to HB at 10.15

Went to the Tourist Info shop and got a few walk leaflets and town map, started with a gentle stroll down the towpath to Stubbin Wharf and back, followed by a look around the town centre. It was market day but the stalls/produce seemed a bit naff, a production unit was filming in the street round the coner, i think the actress may have been Sarah Lancashire?

The town centre was full of midges, non-biting variety thankfully

Then did the walk up to Heptonstall which was a good work out going up the cobbles of the Buttress, good views on the top

Back to HB for beers, the greek restaurant is now called Aya Sophia but google still shows it as Theo's, met "a rOchdale fan" in the Micropub next door, "Calan's". It certainly is micro but the owners were very welcoming. Started with a pint of "DAVE"(Great Heck Brewery) which was nice followed by a "NORTHERN SOUL"(Bradford Brewery) which was bloody lovely with a smoky flavour.

Afternoon walk took me back up t'hills to Hardcastle Crags which again produced great views, back to town via the Fox and Goose. Now this place certainly did have a strong musty smell in the main bar, but the two small rooms at the side seemed better, good selection of ales. Can't see me heading back in a hurry because of the smell tbh

Back to town for a last pint of Northen Soul in Calan's...i would certainly recommend this place to anyone, a bit small and may be more of a spring to autumn pub as i wouldn't fancy sitting outside in the depths of winter.

Caught to 17.45 train back to Manc Vic then back home for 8

Thanks for the pub advice and i'll certainly head back to try some of the ones i've missed

BTW the Fox & Goose are having a Beer Festival Fri 20th - Sun 22nd November, 12.00 til late, free entry, bring your own nose pegs!
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 13:41 - Oct 9 with 3841 viewsD_Alien

Cheers deezel

Got me thinking - Rochdale to Doncaster on t' train (change at Leeds) on 21 November.

Take in Doncaster Brewery Tap before the game, then stop at HB for the beer festival on t' way back!

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 08:01 - Oct 10 with 3697 viewsmingthemerciless

Too late now I suppose but " Waites " confectioners is always worth a visit. Fantastic pies and cakes.
Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 10:38 - Oct 10 with 3651 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hebden Bridge - pub advice on 08:01 - Oct 10 by mingthemerciless

Too late now I suppose but " Waites " confectioners is always worth a visit. Fantastic pies and cakes.

Correct Minger.......trouble is they are so good they sell out very quickly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024