Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care 01:45 - Nov 22 with 17814 viewsDaley_Lama

Hi all

There have been two accidents at this junction the last two nights, both at approx 22:00

I perceive the following as the reason for both accidents, said without seeing either but asking about the cause of both.

If you are heading from Littleborough and wish to turn right onto Whitworth Road, there is a new filter lane but no filter light.

When the traffic from John St and Whitworth Road have had their turn, it is St Mary's Gates turn.

Traffic heading from Asda to Littleborough get a green light first.
15 seconds later traffic heading from Littleborough to Asda get a green light.

There is no filter light for the right turn onto Whitworth Road. They simply see a green light.

The lights heading from Asda to Littleborough however are still fully on green.

With no filter light cars heading from Littleborough turning onto Whitworth Road naturally do green for go and if a car is coming the other way - accident.

I don't think this presents much of an issue at day time as the weight of traffic along St Mary's gate means cars don't simply proceed

At 22:00 the traffic flow is different. There's little initial queueing traffic and cars are simply travelling at 40 with a green light ploughing into a car turning across them with a perceived green light.

If nothing else, please advise those you know to proceed with care. It's a BIG accident waiting to happen, the one I saw tonight had police, ambulance and fire engines but from what I saw nothing terminal.

Poll: DF in or out

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 01:59 - Nov 22 with 6732 viewsDaley_Lama

Shorter version having re-read my waffle.

If you are heading from Littleborough towards town and want to turn right at this junction onto Whitworth Road and the lights are green, you have to give way to traffic coming from the other direction even though nothing tells you to.

If you are heading from Asda towards Littleborough and the lights are green, beware of cars turning across you willy nilly because of the above poor traffic management system.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 06:09 - Nov 22 with 6677 viewsTalkingSutty

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 01:59 - Nov 22 by Daley_Lama

Shorter version having re-read my waffle.

If you are heading from Littleborough towards town and want to turn right at this junction onto Whitworth Road and the lights are green, you have to give way to traffic coming from the other direction even though nothing tells you to.

If you are heading from Asda towards Littleborough and the lights are green, beware of cars turning across you willy nilly because of the above poor traffic management system.

Thanks for the heads up.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:38 - Nov 22 with 6476 viewsmikehunt

Aye.Well done the traffic planning dept. Money well spent on that junction with the same queues on Whitworth Rd, in the morning, that there ever were.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:46 - Nov 22 with 6455 viewsroccydaleian

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:38 - Nov 22 by mikehunt

Aye.Well done the traffic planning dept. Money well spent on that junction with the same queues on Whitworth Rd, in the morning, that there ever were.

Should have been left as a roundabout in the first place. Absolute millions spent on that fiasco and it's worse now than ever..
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 11:04 - Nov 22 with 6406 viewsDaley_Lama

Without wishing to prolong the queues, i hope that they temporarily resolve the currently dangerous issue by making the flow of traffic one directional at a time in totality.

The long term solution is to put priority filter lights up for turning cars.

That'll take til summer.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 11:17 - Nov 22 with 6376 viewsaleanddale

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 11:04 - Nov 22 by Daley_Lama

Without wishing to prolong the queues, i hope that they temporarily resolve the currently dangerous issue by making the flow of traffic one directional at a time in totality.

The long term solution is to put priority filter lights up for turning cars.

That'll take til summer.

Thanks for heads up.

Who the fook approved the changes with no filter light.

Traffic planning madness.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 11:18 - Nov 22 with 6372 viewsDalenet

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:46 - Nov 22 by roccydaleian

Should have been left as a roundabout in the first place. Absolute millions spent on that fiasco and it's worse now than ever..

So should the two roundabouts at Tesco. The queue on Roch Valley Way at rush hour is now back as far as the Cemetery Pub.

Nobody has lost their job for wasting millions on these junctions.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:01 - Nov 22 with 6329 views1mark1

I agree all of these junctions should have remained as roundabouts.

Roundabouts should always be in place but the trouble is there are too many idiots who don't know the rules properly of how to use them, and then they don't work how they should. Also with lights how many times are people waiting on red, then take ages to start moving when the lights change. I say a lot of problems are caused by incompetent drivers as well as poorly designed junctions.

But that's a problem when we have had a failure of politicians of the three major parties that have had political control of RMBC over the last 40 years failing to control the officers of the borough who have ballsed much up.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Login to get fewer ads

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:02 - Nov 22 with 6325 viewsisitme

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:01 - Nov 22 by 1mark1

I agree all of these junctions should have remained as roundabouts.

Roundabouts should always be in place but the trouble is there are too many idiots who don't know the rules properly of how to use them, and then they don't work how they should. Also with lights how many times are people waiting on red, then take ages to start moving when the lights change. I say a lot of problems are caused by incompetent drivers as well as poorly designed junctions.

But that's a problem when we have had a failure of politicians of the three major parties that have had political control of RMBC over the last 40 years failing to control the officers of the borough who have ballsed much up.

I thought the council has been under Labour control for as long as I can remember?
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:17 - Nov 22 with 6292 views1mark1

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:02 - Nov 22 by isitme

I thought the council has been under Labour control for as long as I can remember?

In the last 41 years, since formation in 1974 , Rochdale MBC has been controlled by all three parties at some stage, often in coalition.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:20 - Nov 22 with 6279 views1mark1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_Metropolitan_Borough_Council_elections

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:20 - Nov 22 with 6277 viewsD_Alien

Thanks to all for the above, particularly DL

I'll be passing through there today (as a passenger) and we'll be turning right into Whitworth Road on t' way back.

I have no words (which is unusual for me) to describe the idiocy and incompetence of those responsible for Rochdale's traffic non-flow. Well, maybe those are the words.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:29 - Nov 22 with 6239 viewsColDale

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 11:18 - Nov 22 by Dalenet

So should the two roundabouts at Tesco. The queue on Roch Valley Way at rush hour is now back as far as the Cemetery Pub.

Nobody has lost their job for wasting millions on these junctions.

That queue seems to be a very recent thing. Don't know if they've adjusted the timings on the lights at the main junction but driving down RVW towards Tesco is a nightmare between 5-30pm and 7pm
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:29 - Nov 22 with 6238 views49thseason

I have missed both of these accidents by a matter of minutes two nights running. This must be the third or fourth attempt to get this junction sorted out and it never gets any better . Millions of pounds, millions of hours of motorists time, all wasted and still the educated idiots continue to wreak mayhem without anyone ever getting sacked but I think I can guarantee that "lessons have been learned". We would have been no worse off if the idiots had left the original roundabout in place.Indeed it makes you wonder why we need a planning office at all if this is the result of all their years of expensive education. To55ers.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 13:09 - Nov 22 with 6146 viewswindowsbug

It's only the same as other junctions without filter lights.
Just drive with due care and attention and you'll be OK.
Why is it everyone wants to blame someone else for their own shortcomings.
There is a huge sign telling of the timing changes.
Yes it's a mess..deal with it.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 15:11 - Nov 22 with 6007 viewsmingthemerciless

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 12:02 - Nov 22 by isitme

You must have quite a short memory then.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 15:23 - Nov 22 with 5986 views1mark1

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 15:11 - Nov 22 by mingthemerciless

You must have quite a short memory then.

Maybe this is part of the "Labour party are at fault for everything that is wrong, and the Tories have done everything that is good " philosophy that a lot stand by.

Some don't like to admit that parties other than Labour are at fault as well for the mess of the town, and indeed for any mess in the country.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 18:41 - Nov 22 with 5838 views49thseason

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 15:23 - Nov 22 by 1mark1

Maybe this is part of the "Labour party are at fault for everything that is wrong, and the Tories have done everything that is good " philosophy that a lot stand by.

Some don't like to admit that parties other than Labour are at fault as well for the mess of the town, and indeed for any mess in the country.

I think if you bothered to count the years in charge of Rochdale Council you will find the following :
Labour 21/42 years
NOC 15/ 42 years
LIb Dem 3/42
Cons 3/42
I think its reasonable to point most of the blame at one party. Especially as even in the years of NOC many key committees would have been run by Labour.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 19:21 - Nov 22 with 5785 views1mark1

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 18:41 - Nov 22 by 49thseason

I think if you bothered to count the years in charge of Rochdale Council you will find the following :
Labour 21/42 years
NOC 15/ 42 years
LIb Dem 3/42
Cons 3/42
I think its reasonable to point most of the blame at one party. Especially as even in the years of NOC many key committees would have been run by Labour.

Actually, in the NOC years the membership of committees were split evenly , including the Chairs of committees . This meant NO party had an advantage, even when in the case of Lab, they were only a couple of seats short of a majority. Some of the NOC years were in fact Lib/Tory coalition. If I have some time, I will work out the number of years when each party were part of a NOC administration.

So yes I do blame them all, even if Lab had more time in overall power. And because much of the time we had minority administrations, meaning ALL Councillors could have an influence, I come to the conclusion that it's wasn't just all the parties, but all the Councillors as well.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 19:28]

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 20:42 - Nov 22 with 5674 viewsmingthemerciless

I could be wrong but I think the whole re- modelling of the junction in question came about whilst the Lib Con coalition was in power.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 20:44 - Nov 22 with 5669 viewsmingthemerciless

In my above post I meant the first attempt at re-modelling the junction. This latest one by my count is the third attempt.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 20:54 - Nov 22 with 5650 views1mark1

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 20:42 - Nov 22 by mingthemerciless

I could be wrong but I think the whole re- modelling of the junction in question came about whilst the Lib Con coalition was in power.

You would have to back through Rochdale On Line or Observer, or RMBC planning committees to work that one out, and if it was done by full Council or by Rochdale Township. If Rochdale Township, more than likely Lib Dems, as until the last 3 or 4 years Labour never had control of Rochdale Township.

Either way, any perceived bad running of the local authority since 1974 is NOT just down to Lab, but also Libs and Tories. Or to be positive, any good stuff has been down to all three parties.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 13:43 - Nov 23 with 5442 viewsrochdaleriddler

The timing of lights in Rochdale is controlled by an external body in Manchester. The desire to spend the roads budget on follies like this, had its genesis when the Impact partnership facilitated a huge waste of money on silly unnecessary schemes like this, and on numerous retaining walls. this work was all out of scope, and was massively overpriced, with no tendering taking place, due to the partnership having the task of procuring and completing the work as the preferred contractor. This deal was Roger Ellis's legacy, something fully supported by people like Mark Widdup who is still there. Sounds bent I hear you say, you betcha. This junction is no better than before, fatty farnell said it would help traffic flow, it hasn't, no accountability here whatsoever

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 19:15 - Nov 23 with 5325 viewsD_Alien

Another waste of our money

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/99385/council-was

I hope no-one ever comes on here complaining our council doesn't have enough money for essential services again. Or perhaps those who do would like to comment?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 19:53 - Nov 23 with 5283 views1mark1

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 19:15 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

Another waste of our money

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/99385/council-was

I hope no-one ever comes on here complaining our council doesn't have enough money for essential services again. Or perhaps those who do would like to comment?

I agree, should not have been necessary to do , I am against the farming out of Council services. If the talent is not there, directly employ people. £30,000 could have employed someone for the job, and they could have been used for other projects.

But I do honestly think the Council is underfunded. As an example, It is struggling especially in Social services, with many safeguarding issues and Social care for elderly needs increasing all of the time.

ALL big organisations in the public and private sector "waste" money sometimes. With around £200 million budget, there will always be some waste, unfortunately within large metropolitan boroughs that have 200,000 people living there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024