Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League position 14:27 - Nov 25 with 4936 views1949er

Early in the season several people guessed at our final league position. Most were generally ranging from 6th to13th.i personally said 12th. Lets have an update following a miserable recent run.unless things rapidly improve, i cant see us finishing in the top half my guess is 16th

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

League position on 08:04 - Nov 26 with 1856 viewsaleanddale

I hope somebody at the club reads some of this feedback from long established supporters such as MB and NB.

There are tiny pockets of arrogance at the club but we do plenty right too.

No doubt in my mind 2 things.

The timing of a £2 matchday admission increase was shocking and very misguided. It could and should have been handled a lot better. Up front statement from the club on the need to increase prices but softened with 2 x £1.00 increases consecutively.

£1.00 increase this season and £1.00 next.

Finally I have no doubt our new ( ish ) marketing guru Frances is doing an adequate job. I temper my enthusiasm though as I am not too sure her Focus is in the right areas. Admittedly some good stuff going on with the existing fan base but more focus is required on the most important thing of all and that's attendances on match days.

Lapsed customers - let's get them back ASAP.

Kids for free if necessary - get them hooked early!

New customers. Difficult but not impossible.

Set aside a significant bonus payment for the person who drags our average attendance up and in the right direction.

3000 home fans every week is an obvious first easy target. When we achieve that then look at 3200.

Eventually with our own stadium and a consistent message who knows we might get between 3500 and 4000 dale supporters back through the turnstiles every home game.
League position on 08:36 - Nov 26 with 1838 viewsDaley_Lama

3rd.

A couple of additions in Jan and a few returnees from injury and we will barnstorm the division, just missing out on promotion.

Poll: DF in or out

League position on 09:57 - Nov 26 with 1782 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 08:04 - Nov 26 by aleanddale

I hope somebody at the club reads some of this feedback from long established supporters such as MB and NB.

There are tiny pockets of arrogance at the club but we do plenty right too.

No doubt in my mind 2 things.

The timing of a £2 matchday admission increase was shocking and very misguided. It could and should have been handled a lot better. Up front statement from the club on the need to increase prices but softened with 2 x £1.00 increases consecutively.

£1.00 increase this season and £1.00 next.

Finally I have no doubt our new ( ish ) marketing guru Frances is doing an adequate job. I temper my enthusiasm though as I am not too sure her Focus is in the right areas. Admittedly some good stuff going on with the existing fan base but more focus is required on the most important thing of all and that's attendances on match days.

Lapsed customers - let's get them back ASAP.

Kids for free if necessary - get them hooked early!

New customers. Difficult but not impossible.

Set aside a significant bonus payment for the person who drags our average attendance up and in the right direction.

3000 home fans every week is an obvious first easy target. When we achieve that then look at 3200.

Eventually with our own stadium and a consistent message who knows we might get between 3500 and 4000 dale supporters back through the turnstiles every home game.

Good post. To be fair I would imagine Frances is worked to the bone as it is. Did you read the job spec for her position? it was absolutely ridiculous.....an impossible job was my first thoughts.

Is Francis allowed to use her undoubted expertise or are there unqualified people within the Club who think they know better and interfere in her role? Do the Club back her ideas from a financial point of view or is she constantly doing a half hearted job?

If any of the above apply, and i have no idea if they do, then it's a very quick way of de-motivating that person. Hopefully she is being given a free role and the opportunity to flourish in her role.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 12:53]
League position on 10:35 - Nov 26 with 1753 viewsJimmyRustler

I think strengthening/clearing out the deadwood is an absolute must if we are to have any chance of not being involved in an absolute relegation dogfight. It's all down to KH though. He needs to bite the bullet and accept that some players aren't good enough. Unfortunately for us, a few of those just happen to be some of his personal favourites.

I'm concerned but not worried..yet
League position on 11:23 - Nov 26 with 1707 viewspioneer

For me the thing that has defined Hills two spells at the club has been the positive football played, something we have not been used to over the years. At times the quality has been of a standard higher than our league standing and remarked on by many outsiders including respected members of the media. I think that has been the biggest change this season. Much of what we have produced has been boring to watch and we were told we have to pay significantly more to watch it.

The excuse...budgets. But it doesnt work that way, simply because over recent years we have been able to hack it with the big boys, despite smaller budgets. The message or implication that our budget means we cannot expect to win much or often in ths league is the worst message you could send out to the public. If that is true why would they bother to attend.

There has been. lack of positivity about the place since the Done deal. As someone else noted, this is an interesting contrast to Burton. No I dont think they will go up, and if they do I dont think they will stay up, but I think their fans are having more fun than ours.
League position on 12:11 - Nov 26 with 1672 viewsrochdaleriddler

League position on 15:23 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

I think we may have been spoilt by last season's promising outcome. Our tactics have suffered this time round by other teams having worked out what our strengths are, what Hilly has recently called "second season syndrome". Plus, our early surge into the playoffs possibly made it appear as if we were going to be up there again.

I originally predicted 7th, but in view of the last couple of months I'd say more like 14th, where we are now. On our day we can match any team in the division (and have done so, e.g. Coventry) but we have neither the squad or the hardcore professionalism at set pieces to maintain that standard.

Even so, we can be rightly proud of our status and it's infinitely better than what our history suggests is our due. Let's not forget that Hilly himself has never managed in a "second season after promotion" and he's on a learning curve too.

We'll just have to ignore the wums like Gimp/Bazinga who think that because we're not surging into a ten point lead at the top of table before Christmas, that there's something wrong which they - uniquely - have insight into and of course, know how to put right but haven't yet given us the benefit of their wisdom.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:26]

agree, apart from the hardcore professionalism bit, its basic stuff defending corners, we should be better at it

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

League position on 12:41 - Nov 26 with 1650 viewsD_Alien

League position on 07:19 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

MD don't give up on them yet, the whole squad is in a transitional period I think and certain players have either stagnated or gone backwards. Hills not daft he will see the same things as the supporters but obviously his hands will be tied with budget constraints. Selling our best players is a fact of life, that will always happen.

The boost that owning our own Stadium would bring can't be underestimated and that could herald the start of a new era for the Club. We yearned to play in league one for decades but we are up against a lot of big hitters. Maybe you are falling out of love with football itself and the characters associated within it, even in the lower levels the arrogant attitude is very evident and supporters are often viewed as a irritating irrelevance. Even having an opinion after the game is frowned on, they actually think they have the power to tell supporters what to do and what so say, some are daft enough to do it.

Football is a entertainment business, that's why customers pay to watch. If there's not a lot to get excited about then they do something else. That's what dissapointed me with the Wigan game, live on television and a great chance to show the town what they are missing, we seemed more interested in promoting Wigan as some sort of untouchable Footballing powerhouse and talking about budgets, it was a easy game for them. I promoted the television game to family and friends and everyone of them criticised our performance and lack of quality in the final third. How can you ague with it? Burton didn't seem to worry about the difference in budgets on Tuesday, they had a great win in Wigans back yard.

We have another chance on television next Sunday week,I can handle a defeat but can we please ditch this constant harping on about our budget before we play the opposition. The players have to be developing a inferiority complex, let's hear a bit of positivity. It's a FA Cup game, let's treat it like one and play with intent and passion from the start. Get your ticket MD we need your support.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 7:33]

Great post TS

Now where've you put that piss-pot?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

League position on 12:51 - Nov 26 with 1632 viewsD_Alien

League position on 12:11 - Nov 26 by rochdaleriddler

agree, apart from the hardcore professionalism bit, its basic stuff defending corners, we should be better at it

That's what I meant by hardcore.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

League position on 13:10 - Nov 26 with 1603 views100notout

This thread has meandered into a really interesting one with some great points on both sides. Question for you TS - have you CONSIDERED not going to the bury game? I'm sure you'll be there as inevitably I will, but I must admit it did cross my mind whether I should keep my money in my pocket and watch it at home. I'm not quite as far down the "life sentence" road as you and unlike you, being entertained IS at least part of the reason for me buying a ticket.

The point is that if I am/was considering it, I'm sure a lot of others are and the danger is that if they don't go and don't miss it they could be lost forever.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

League position on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 1571 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 13:10 - Nov 26 by 100notout

This thread has meandered into a really interesting one with some great points on both sides. Question for you TS - have you CONSIDERED not going to the bury game? I'm sure you'll be there as inevitably I will, but I must admit it did cross my mind whether I should keep my money in my pocket and watch it at home. I'm not quite as far down the "life sentence" road as you and unlike you, being entertained IS at least part of the reason for me buying a ticket.

The point is that if I am/was considering it, I'm sure a lot of others are and the danger is that if they don't go and don't miss it they could be lost forever.

No chance of not going to the game, i will record it though, BT Sport is mainly for me to watch the National league games which I enjoy, but also handy for the FA Cup. I still look forward to match days in the same way as I did years ago. The games great, the way those who make a terrific living out of it conduct themselves is what I dislike. They think the game belongs to them.

My teenage son wouldn't entertain not going to the game so it's really not a option. I don't go to many JPT ties these days or many games South of Birmingham because I am conscious that it's a bit selfish spending loads of money just on football, I also have a wife to consider so need to direct money into other activities which involve the both of us. If I was a single fella I would probably go to every game.
League position on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 1527 viewsMoonyDale

League position on 07:19 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

MD don't give up on them yet, the whole squad is in a transitional period I think and certain players have either stagnated or gone backwards. Hills not daft he will see the same things as the supporters but obviously his hands will be tied with budget constraints. Selling our best players is a fact of life, that will always happen.

The boost that owning our own Stadium would bring can't be underestimated and that could herald the start of a new era for the Club. We yearned to play in league one for decades but we are up against a lot of big hitters. Maybe you are falling out of love with football itself and the characters associated within it, even in the lower levels the arrogant attitude is very evident and supporters are often viewed as a irritating irrelevance. Even having an opinion after the game is frowned on, they actually think they have the power to tell supporters what to do and what so say, some are daft enough to do it.

Football is a entertainment business, that's why customers pay to watch. If there's not a lot to get excited about then they do something else. That's what dissapointed me with the Wigan game, live on television and a great chance to show the town what they are missing, we seemed more interested in promoting Wigan as some sort of untouchable Footballing powerhouse and talking about budgets, it was a easy game for them. I promoted the television game to family and friends and everyone of them criticised our performance and lack of quality in the final third. How can you ague with it? Burton didn't seem to worry about the difference in budgets on Tuesday, they had a great win in Wigans back yard.

We have another chance on television next Sunday week,I can handle a defeat but can we please ditch this constant harping on about our budget before we play the opposition. The players have to be developing a inferiority complex, let's hear a bit of positivity. It's a FA Cup game, let's treat it like one and play with intent and passion from the start. Get your ticket MD we need your support.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 7:33]

I understand your points TS but for the life of me I have lost my enthusiasm for standing on the Sandy to see players who look as fed up as myself, it was me who asked the question at the fans forum about last seasons apparent lack of ambition behind the scenes at the club. Nothing I heard that night convinced me otherwise and this season has carried on in the same manner. Some may think that owning the ground will be the answer, and that is why we seem to be stagnating at the moment as any money we have is being ring fenced for the purchase. But with the money earned from TV appearances, cup runs, player sales ever since Scotty left there should be more than enough in the kitty to replace certain players. Add that to players not being given chances to show what they can do other than a couple of minutes here and there, and god forbid they miss a chance and be relegated back to the bench or not even in the squad. Allesandra misses one and is banished from the team....Don't remember this happening to others who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...O'sullivan comes in on loan today, I hope he gets some game time but wouldn't bet on it. Will I be going to the Bury game? Doubt it, and probably won't even watch it on the box....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

League position on 14:57 - Nov 26 with 1484 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 14:12 - Nov 26 by MoonyDale

I understand your points TS but for the life of me I have lost my enthusiasm for standing on the Sandy to see players who look as fed up as myself, it was me who asked the question at the fans forum about last seasons apparent lack of ambition behind the scenes at the club. Nothing I heard that night convinced me otherwise and this season has carried on in the same manner. Some may think that owning the ground will be the answer, and that is why we seem to be stagnating at the moment as any money we have is being ring fenced for the purchase. But with the money earned from TV appearances, cup runs, player sales ever since Scotty left there should be more than enough in the kitty to replace certain players. Add that to players not being given chances to show what they can do other than a couple of minutes here and there, and god forbid they miss a chance and be relegated back to the bench or not even in the squad. Allesandra misses one and is banished from the team....Don't remember this happening to others who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...O'sullivan comes in on loan today, I hope he gets some game time but wouldn't bet on it. Will I be going to the Bury game? Doubt it, and probably won't even watch it on the box....

Bloody hell MD, if you aren't even going to watch the game on the telly i think you could be cured
League position on 16:06 - Nov 26 with 1422 viewsnordenblue

League position on 14:12 - Nov 26 by MoonyDale

Some good points there,sad to agree i feel much the same way about things and the sale of Done knocked the last bit of enthusiasm i had out to be honest.
Surely with all the unexpected windfalls of cash either via outgoing sales that surely cant be budgeted for at the start of any season, add ons like Lambert etc together with decent cup runs, there must be plenty still in the pot somewhere im guessing.

Whilst understanding the need to keep a tight line with the club running at a loss year on year i appreciate player sales is a necessity at some point, but the club also need to appreciate the product on the pitch to provide the entertainment and the continuity of revenue is very much short on real quality,take Hendo and PV out the picture and theres a team very much capable of a relegation.
Whilst this is the case people always have other choices where to spend their spare money and it should never be underestimated.

We lack a real spine right down the middle and have done for a while,a decent centre half to partner big Jim,a captain of a centre mid who can win the ball and a decent mobile forward to link up play,as good as Josh has been recently and credit where its due, he's not the long term answer to a decent league 1 side either.
I cant see any of the above being improved anytime soon though through the cost attached.

Anyway I'll give over moaning about things now as I've bored most of you long enough...
League position on 13:11 - Mar 22 with 1106 viewsDaleiLama

Was looking for the first thread on this subject out of curiosity but couldn't find it and came across this one instead, which in many ways is better.

It's been an unpredictable roller coaster season to say the least. Dale came out of the gates flying, got mired in a long spell of inconsistency and it now looks like we have refound our early season form and energy ........... makes you wonder what could have been (and may still be?)

Haven't been able to get to any games since early in the season when we looked great, but I was spawny and managed to get to both derbys and what a turnaround. It really is amazing how quickly it's happened (I know it may not last) and how the difference between things going right and wrong can often be down to fine margins.

Canavan and Eastham look much more solid at the back surrounded by Raff and McNulty (but it does gives me the jitters how far forward the FBs rove sometimes). Still, the facts are that we are shipping far fewer goals (4 in the last 6 outings - I would defy even De Gea to stop that second Oldham goal) ........ a big key to our turnaround in my book. We also have our talismanic Holty back, the stadium deal done and back-to-back derby wins finds us surfing on the crest of a wave at present. Even baldy M seems to have his mojo back and the injury situation (barring Calvin) seems better than its done in a while.

Seeing the attitude in those last two games though is what fills me with most hope for the future. We didn't sit back, we went and grabbed the games via the scruff of the neck and won it by determination, playing our way and imposing ourselves on our opponents - how we got to where we are now from L2. I can even forgive Hendo for the sending off to some extent - personally I'd rather have a team trying too hard than one in a listless stupor.

My early season prediction was 6th which I revised down to 10th. If we can keep this form up, we could still end up in this range? We have the momentum - if only we can hold on to it until the last game.

One final comment - brilliant atmosphere at Oldham. As an occasional mainstander at Spotland, I often hear as much singing from the away fans opposite as the divided home ends. Taking logistics out of the equation, I too would selfishly like to see the two main singing factions unite to make the atmosphere at fortress San Spoty more intimidating to visitors.

UP THE DALE

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

League position on 13:27 - Mar 22 with 1057 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 13:11 - Mar 22 by DaleiLama

Was looking for the first thread on this subject out of curiosity but couldn't find it and came across this one instead, which in many ways is better.

It's been an unpredictable roller coaster season to say the least. Dale came out of the gates flying, got mired in a long spell of inconsistency and it now looks like we have refound our early season form and energy ........... makes you wonder what could have been (and may still be?)

Haven't been able to get to any games since early in the season when we looked great, but I was spawny and managed to get to both derbys and what a turnaround. It really is amazing how quickly it's happened (I know it may not last) and how the difference between things going right and wrong can often be down to fine margins.

Canavan and Eastham look much more solid at the back surrounded by Raff and McNulty (but it does gives me the jitters how far forward the FBs rove sometimes). Still, the facts are that we are shipping far fewer goals (4 in the last 6 outings - I would defy even De Gea to stop that second Oldham goal) ........ a big key to our turnaround in my book. We also have our talismanic Holty back, the stadium deal done and back-to-back derby wins finds us surfing on the crest of a wave at present. Even baldy M seems to have his mojo back and the injury situation (barring Calvin) seems better than its done in a while.

Seeing the attitude in those last two games though is what fills me with most hope for the future. We didn't sit back, we went and grabbed the games via the scruff of the neck and won it by determination, playing our way and imposing ourselves on our opponents - how we got to where we are now from L2. I can even forgive Hendo for the sending off to some extent - personally I'd rather have a team trying too hard than one in a listless stupor.

My early season prediction was 6th which I revised down to 10th. If we can keep this form up, we could still end up in this range? We have the momentum - if only we can hold on to it until the last game.

One final comment - brilliant atmosphere at Oldham. As an occasional mainstander at Spotland, I often hear as much singing from the away fans opposite as the divided home ends. Taking logistics out of the equation, I too would selfishly like to see the two main singing factions unite to make the atmosphere at fortress San Spoty more intimidating to visitors.

UP THE DALE

Great post. That last week is up there with the promotion feeling for me. Securing the Stadium didn't look possible at one time but we've done it. That could possibly be our biggest ever victory.

The two derby wins reminded all of us why we watch football, you can't buy those feelings. Sometimes you think you're falling out of love with it,then this happens. We secured our Stadium and League One status plus came up with Two victories against our local rivals all within the space of a week, i don't think we'll ever see a better one!!
League position on 16:51 - Mar 23 with 686 views1949er

League position on 13:27 - Mar 22 by TalkingSutty

Great post. That last week is up there with the promotion feeling for me. Securing the Stadium didn't look possible at one time but we've done it. That could possibly be our biggest ever victory.

The two derby wins reminded all of us why we watch football, you can't buy those feelings. Sometimes you think you're falling out of love with it,then this happens. We secured our Stadium and League One status plus came up with Two victories against our local rivals all within the space of a week, i don't think we'll ever see a better one!!

Back in November I posted 12 th, see no reason to change my original guess

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024