Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League position 14:27 - Nov 25 with 4935 views1949er

Early in the season several people guessed at our final league position. Most were generally ranging from 6th to13th.i personally said 12th. Lets have an update following a miserable recent run.unless things rapidly improve, i cant see us finishing in the top half my guess is 16th

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

League position on 14:36 - Nov 25 with 3087 views100notout

I originally thought we might have an outside chance of the play-offs but a more likely finish would be about 14th.

The great thing about last season was that right until the last 2 or 3 games the season was still "alive" i.e. we had something to play for (for the right reason!). I think this season will be effectively over with 4 or 5 games left i.e. mid table safety.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

League position on 15:02 - Nov 25 with 3039 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Don't forget we have our annual slump to come in Spring...........
League position on 15:04 - Nov 25 with 3035 viewsShun

12th. Solidly mid-table.
League position on 15:12 - Nov 25 with 3002 viewsDomDale

10th and hoping for another cup run

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

League position on 15:23 - Nov 25 with 2990 viewsD_Alien

I think we may have been spoilt by last season's promising outcome. Our tactics have suffered this time round by other teams having worked out what our strengths are, what Hilly has recently called "second season syndrome". Plus, our early surge into the playoffs possibly made it appear as if we were going to be up there again.

I originally predicted 7th, but in view of the last couple of months I'd say more like 14th, where we are now. On our day we can match any team in the division (and have done so, e.g. Coventry) but we have neither the squad or the hardcore professionalism at set pieces to maintain that standard.

Even so, we can be rightly proud of our status and it's infinitely better than what our history suggests is our due. Let's not forget that Hilly himself has never managed in a "second season after promotion" and he's on a learning curve too.

We'll just have to ignore the wums like Gimp/Bazinga who think that because we're not surging into a ten point lead at the top of table before Christmas, that there's something wrong which they - uniquely - have insight into and of course, know how to put right but haven't yet given us the benefit of their wisdom.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:26]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

League position on 15:28 - Nov 25 with 2972 viewsroccydaleian

League position on 15:23 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

I think we may have been spoilt by last season's promising outcome. Our tactics have suffered this time round by other teams having worked out what our strengths are, what Hilly has recently called "second season syndrome". Plus, our early surge into the playoffs possibly made it appear as if we were going to be up there again.

I originally predicted 7th, but in view of the last couple of months I'd say more like 14th, where we are now. On our day we can match any team in the division (and have done so, e.g. Coventry) but we have neither the squad or the hardcore professionalism at set pieces to maintain that standard.

Even so, we can be rightly proud of our status and it's infinitely better than what our history suggests is our due. Let's not forget that Hilly himself has never managed in a "second season after promotion" and he's on a learning curve too.

We'll just have to ignore the wums like Gimp/Bazinga who think that because we're not surging into a ten point lead at the top of table before Christmas, that there's something wrong which they - uniquely - have insight into and of course, know how to put right but haven't yet given us the benefit of their wisdom.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:26]

Spot on D_Alien, pretty much what i was thinking.. Anything above the bottom four will do for me tbf.
League position on 15:38 - Nov 25 with 2940 viewsD_Alien

League position on 15:28 - Nov 25 by roccydaleian

Spot on D_Alien, pretty much what i was thinking.. Anything above the bottom four will do for me tbf.

Dunno about you roccy, but I was more irritated by posters responding to bazinga than I was by the defeat.

No disgrace to go down 2-0 at Gills, especially after we'd just won away against a team that put Chesterfield in their place last night; but the wum post should've been allowed to sink into the obscurity of page 2 before the night was out.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

League position on 15:40 - Nov 25 with 2928 viewsColDale

We're a midtable team with a bottom eight squad, and a bottom three budget. Another manager in charge, and I'd worry about the current squad's ability to stay up. Like many teams in our division, when we click we look bloody good, but we don't get that week in, week out.

For me, our three most influential players are Hendo, Allen and Vincenti. PV is a player that takes advantage when others make things happen, rather than make things happen himself, so he'll struggle to have the impact in a weakened team (stats might disprove this). If we take on teams like Wigan with PV being our most influential player in the starting line up, we're always going to find it difficult.

Said last season, and it applies again this year, that given the vast gulf in budgets, we are in a mini league of eight, and if we can be at the top end of that group, then we've got a fighting chance, and finishing above anyone else is a bonus. I see that group containing the likes of Burton, Colchester, Crewe, Port Vale, Southend, Oldham etc When the likes of Scunny are massively outspending us, it shows the level of competition.

We're doing okay in that group, and clearly keeping our head above water. With the exception of Burton who are doing fantastically well, I see it the reality that everyone of those teams will have bad runs. We've done well to pick up as many points as we have done during this barren spell, because with a bit of misfortune, it could have been the sort of run that Barnsley are enjoying. Not that they'll be enjoying it much. The season as a whole probably feels a bit wishy washy as we've not had a season under Hill where we've treaded water.
Login to get fewer ads

League position on 15:49 - Nov 25 with 2904 viewsroccydaleian

League position on 15:38 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

Dunno about you roccy, but I was more irritated by posters responding to bazinga than I was by the defeat.

No disgrace to go down 2-0 at Gills, especially after we'd just won away against a team that put Chesterfield in their place last night; but the wum post should've been allowed to sink into the obscurity of page 2 before the night was out.

Aye it is annoying, but like i've said on the Bazinga thread, if people just stop replying to the likes of him and Gimp, hopefully they'll get bored and soon fook off.
League position on 17:28 - Nov 25 with 2776 viewsDaleiLama

Started off bullish = 6th, but looking at it realistically, probably 10th may be the best we can hope for now. Bottom half would be disappointing but not disastrous.
As for the wums, I've let "settings" deal with it. Life's too short.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

League position on 17:37 - Nov 25 with 2757 viewsboromat

From memory I said we should aim to beat last season. I still think that should be our aim its not out of reach by a long shot. If we have everyone fit and available I think we'll achieve it. If we carry on with a lot of injuries It'll be a much more difficult challenge.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

League position on 18:34 - Nov 25 with 2694 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 17:37 - Nov 25 by boromat

From memory I said we should aim to beat last season. I still think that should be our aim its not out of reach by a long shot. If we have everyone fit and available I think we'll achieve it. If we carry on with a lot of injuries It'll be a much more difficult challenge.

Just give me fifth from bottom, i would take that.
League position on 18:40 - Nov 25 with 2685 viewsaleanddale

17th.... And would have taken that.

If we lose in the FA cup 3rd round at either Manchester United or Arsenal!!
League position on 19:39 - Nov 25 with 2618 viewsnordenblue

League position on 18:34 - Nov 25 by TalkingSutty

Just give me fifth from bottom, i would take that.

17th if not below for me.
Not a direct response to you TS but i fail to see how we are currently building for the future as everyone was saying following the immediate sale of Done.
People back then said we aren't quite ready for a crack at promotion and the time wasnt right its too early,we're certainly far from ready now!!
We as a squad have since gone backwards and have become very boring to watch imo,some of the recent games ive personally seen Bury,Oldham,Wigan etc have been dull to say the least.
I agree stability is crucial for a club like ours but this season for me has been one of the most boring for quite some time.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 19:42]
League position on 19:49 - Nov 25 with 2587 viewszxcvbnm

1 point away from half way to the magic 50 - I reckon between 10th and 16th

Poll: Best loanee keeper

League position on 19:52 - Nov 25 with 2576 viewsDomDale

League position on 19:39 - Nov 25 by nordenblue

Not a direct response to you TS but i fail to see how we are currently building for the future as everyone was saying following the immediate sale of Done.
People back then said we aren't quite ready for a crack at promotion and the time wasnt right its too early,we're certainly far from ready now!!
We as a squad have since gone backwards and have become very boring to watch imo,some of the recent games ive personally seen Bury,Oldham,Wigan etc have been dull to say the least.
I agree stability is crucial for a club like ours but this season for me has been one of the most boring for quite some time.

Agree I think the performances and squad in some positions has regressed. Not enjoying this season in any way as much as last which is a shame. Do think we will finish higher than 17th though as this seems a weaker league. I didn't go last night but Wigan aside of the other fancied teams I've seen us play I don't think we've looked too outclassed.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

League position on 21:10 - Nov 25 with 2461 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 19:39 - Nov 25 by nordenblue

I said at the time of the Done sale that it could be the best opportunity we would ever have to reach the Champioship and it was arrogant to think we could pick and choose when the time was right.

At the end of the day there wasn't the will to take the next stop not only from the powers that be within the club but also a section of the fanbase and some of the reasons are valid. Anyway, that ships now sailed, it was our best chance in over 100 years. The squad and style of our play has regressed this season due to not replacing players like Done and Dawson, injuries have also hampered us. Finances dictate I suppose.

Anyway, stabilising as a league one club will still be a great achievement.I wonder how the players feel though when they realise in order to progress any further they will have to move to another Club. We are now at the pinnacle of the Clubs ambitions, it probably doesn't get any better than this. Enjoy it rather than feeling bored, we are at a good level.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 21:27]
League position on 21:39 - Nov 25 with 2400 views49thseason

I think this season is pivotal for the club. Money is being held back for the stadium purchase and investment into Bowlee for the Academy. Hilly intends to survive in this division without major teambuilding expenditure. I have no doubt that there is a contingency fund of some sort but I think next season will be a better opportunity to kick on if the other major expenditues are out of the way. Also the youngsters will be battle hardened from their current exploits i dont expect trees to be pulled up. somewhere near the top of the bottom half will be respectable.
League position on 21:40 - Nov 25 with 2398 viewsnordenblue

League position on 21:10 - Nov 25 by TalkingSutty

I said at the time of the Done sale that it could be the best opportunity we would ever have to reach the Champioship and it was arrogant to think we could pick and choose when the time was right.

At the end of the day there wasn't the will to take the next stop not only from the powers that be within the club but also a section of the fanbase and some of the reasons are valid. Anyway, that ships now sailed, it was our best chance in over 100 years. The squad and style of our play has regressed this season due to not replacing players like Done and Dawson, injuries have also hampered us. Finances dictate I suppose.

Anyway, stabilising as a league one club will still be a great achievement.I wonder how the players feel though when they realise in order to progress any further they will have to move to another Club. We are now at the pinnacle of the Clubs ambitions, it probably doesn't get any better than this. Enjoy it rather than feeling bored, we are at a good level.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 21:27]

I fully appreciate the financial side of things but the team has been screaming out for a couple of class players for quite a while to kick on and yet we will put players ridiculously out of position who are plenty out of their depth.

As sad as it may sound i enjoyed league 2 much more when we played more open attacking football and guaranteed goals,Hilly seems his only ambition recently is not to concede which is all well and good for the clean sheet table but very boring for many in the crowd.

I find it amazing really after some of the crap i and so many others have travelled the country and seen over the last 20/30 years that ive never picked and chosen so many games to miss as recently.
League position on 22:50 - Nov 25 with 2330 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 21:40 - Nov 25 by nordenblue

I fully appreciate the financial side of things but the team has been screaming out for a couple of class players for quite a while to kick on and yet we will put players ridiculously out of position who are plenty out of their depth.

As sad as it may sound i enjoyed league 2 much more when we played more open attacking football and guaranteed goals,Hilly seems his only ambition recently is not to concede which is all well and good for the clean sheet table but very boring for many in the crowd.

I find it amazing really after some of the crap i and so many others have travelled the country and seen over the last 20/30 years that ive never picked and chosen so many games to miss as recently.

League one for me all the time. We are playing against better teams so Hilly must feel we have to adapt our style, plus we don't have the players we once had. The youngsters have potential but they never had the luxury of cutting their teeth at league two level, we went and got promoted and now it's harder for them to establish themselves.

We have a squad of young players, some who have recently progressed from Youth football and other squad members who either struggle for consistency or full fitness or both. We also have one or two who I think will always struggle to make a mark at this level. The squads a bit of a mish mash and lacks real quality but that costs money.

I used to like it when Hilly did his Shape Shifting but he seems to have gone away from that. I wonder how much the need to finance the Stadium is hindering Hillys ability to strengthen the squad, the Stadium issue seems a taboo subject so we won't get a answer to that. I reckon Hillys doing a juggling act with the current squad and just staying in this league is all that matters. Sometimes financing the playing side needs to take a back seat and maybe that's what this season is all about. Don't be bored, enjoy league one and realise the higher you go the tougher the challenge, its meant to be tough.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 22:53]
League position on 23:34 - Nov 25 with 2267 viewsMoonyDale

League position on 21:40 - Nov 25 by nordenblue

I could have written exactly this myself, not for many a year have I stayed away for as many games. Saw all the pre season games and the early league matches, it felt much the same as the back end of last season when Done wasn't replaced. Didn't renew my season ticket and have seen very few games recently, looking at the crowds it seems I am not on my own. And before anyone says it I was there through the really dark days since 1968, just not feeling it this season and it doesn't look like it will improve in the short term. I took a conscious decision to stay at home and the sad thing is I am not missing it.........

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

League position on 05:02 - Nov 26 with 2205 viewsNigeriamark

I had us for mid table. Port Vale game & December could shape our season. Port Vale , Swindon, Crewe, Colchester & Scunthorpe and a shot at the 3rd round of the cup. No easy games but no team in the top 3rd in the league + a televised derby game.

I will stick with 12th but will worry if we don't get 6 points or more by year end. 9 or more and it looks a lot rosier
League position on 07:19 - Nov 26 with 2168 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 23:34 - Nov 25 by MoonyDale

I could have written exactly this myself, not for many a year have I stayed away for as many games. Saw all the pre season games and the early league matches, it felt much the same as the back end of last season when Done wasn't replaced. Didn't renew my season ticket and have seen very few games recently, looking at the crowds it seems I am not on my own. And before anyone says it I was there through the really dark days since 1968, just not feeling it this season and it doesn't look like it will improve in the short term. I took a conscious decision to stay at home and the sad thing is I am not missing it.........

MD don't give up on them yet, the whole squad is in a transitional period I think and certain players have either stagnated or gone backwards. Hills not daft he will see the same things as the supporters but obviously his hands will be tied with budget constraints. Selling our best players is a fact of life, that will always happen.

The boost that owning our own Stadium would bring can't be underestimated and that could herald the start of a new era for the Club. We yearned to play in league one for decades but we are up against a lot of big hitters. Maybe you are falling out of love with football itself and the characters associated within it, even in the lower levels the arrogant attitude is very evident and supporters are often viewed as a irritating irrelevance. Even having an opinion after the game is frowned on, they actually think they have the power to tell supporters what to do and what so say, some are daft enough to do it.

Football is a entertainment business, that's why customers pay to watch. If there's not a lot to get excited about then they do something else. That's what dissapointed me with the Wigan game, live on television and a great chance to show the town what they are missing, we seemed more interested in promoting Wigan as some sort of untouchable Footballing powerhouse and talking about budgets, it was a easy game for them. I promoted the television game to family and friends and everyone of them criticised our performance and lack of quality in the final third. How can you ague with it? Burton didn't seem to worry about the difference in budgets on Tuesday, they had a great win in Wigans back yard.

We have another chance on television next Sunday week,I can handle a defeat but can we please ditch this constant harping on about our budget before we play the opposition. The players have to be developing a inferiority complex, let's hear a bit of positivity. It's a FA Cup game, let's treat it like one and play with intent and passion from the start. Get your ticket MD we need your support.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 7:33]
League position on 07:44 - Nov 26 with 2144 viewsnordenblue

League position on 07:19 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

MD don't give up on them yet, the whole squad is in a transitional period I think and certain players have either stagnated or gone backwards. Hills not daft he will see the same things as the supporters but obviously his hands will be tied with budget constraints. Selling our best players is a fact of life, that will always happen.

The boost that owning our own Stadium would bring can't be underestimated and that could herald the start of a new era for the Club. We yearned to play in league one for decades but we are up against a lot of big hitters. Maybe you are falling out of love with football itself and the characters associated within it, even in the lower levels the arrogant attitude is very evident and supporters are often viewed as a irritating irrelevance. Even having an opinion after the game is frowned on, they actually think they have the power to tell supporters what to do and what so say, some are daft enough to do it.

Football is a entertainment business, that's why customers pay to watch. If there's not a lot to get excited about then they do something else. That's what dissapointed me with the Wigan game, live on television and a great chance to show the town what they are missing, we seemed more interested in promoting Wigan as some sort of untouchable Footballing powerhouse and talking about budgets, it was a easy game for them. I promoted the television game to family and friends and everyone of them criticised our performance and lack of quality in the final third. How can you ague with it? Burton didn't seem to worry about the difference in budgets on Tuesday, they had a great win in Wigans back yard.

We have another chance on television next Sunday week,I can handle a defeat but can we please ditch this constant harping on about our budget before we play the opposition. The players have to be developing a inferiority complex, let's hear a bit of positivity. It's a FA Cup game, let's treat it like one and play with intent and passion from the start. Get your ticket MD we need your support.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 7:33]

I admire your positivity TS and quite a bit of your post rings very true,football is an entertainment and its all well and good the club planning for the future and trying to establish itself as a league 1 club etc but the sad truth is many people pay money to be entertained this weekend and the weekend after not in 2016/17...

The thought of watching another 90 mins at the minute just does nothing for me in the slightest im sad to say,the club could learn a hell of a lot from other sports on how to treat its customers and the service it provides on a matchday,then throw in a price increase it doesn't take a genius to work out why people who have for years decided to stick with it now dont bother turning up.
I must confess the timing and ultimately sale of Done was the cherry on top for me and a massive signal of intent to the casual fan.

Your point about football as a whole is spot on too,its riddled with self engrossed idiots who have about as much appeal as a trip to the dentist.
I find myself watching either non league football for a quarter of the price or occasionally get offered tickets for champions/prem league games for the same entrance fee,its a no brainer!

The sad fact is that for me and many others there's much better options avaliable to throw 20 odd quid at than a pissing down freezing game at Spotland where currently the highlight has been pre guessing where Hilly will shoehorn another square peg in a round hole to "make do"
League position on 07:53 - Nov 26 with 2133 viewsTalkingSutty

League position on 07:44 - Nov 26 by nordenblue

I admire your positivity TS and quite a bit of your post rings very true,football is an entertainment and its all well and good the club planning for the future and trying to establish itself as a league 1 club etc but the sad truth is many people pay money to be entertained this weekend and the weekend after not in 2016/17...

The thought of watching another 90 mins at the minute just does nothing for me in the slightest im sad to say,the club could learn a hell of a lot from other sports on how to treat its customers and the service it provides on a matchday,then throw in a price increase it doesn't take a genius to work out why people who have for years decided to stick with it now dont bother turning up.
I must confess the timing and ultimately sale of Done was the cherry on top for me and a massive signal of intent to the casual fan.

Your point about football as a whole is spot on too,its riddled with self engrossed idiots who have about as much appeal as a trip to the dentist.
I find myself watching either non league football for a quarter of the price or occasionally get offered tickets for champions/prem league games for the same entrance fee,its a no brainer!

The sad fact is that for me and many others there's much better options avaliable to throw 20 odd quid at than a pissing down freezing game at Spotland where currently the highlight has been pre guessing where Hilly will shoehorn another square peg in a round hole to "make do"

Can't argue with any of that. After investing 40 years of my life supporting the Dale I feel it would all be wasted if I threw the towel in now. It's gone past the point of no return for me and 'enjoyment' doesn't even enter the equation. It really is a life sentence.

It's not even the Football Club that pisses me off, it's football in general, the way supporters are treated and the egos that exist within the PEOPLES game.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 7:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024