Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superbowl 50 04:00 - Feb 7 with 5693 viewsNigeriamark

How many are going to stay up and watch this ( or in my case get up early). If a fan who do you support - My team is the Cleveland Browns

Most people in the UK love NFL or hate it - it is my favourite non- traditional British sport with the Super Bowl being right up there as a global event. I have followed it since Channel 4 started coverage in 1982 and have been lucky enough to see 5 NFL games. Knowing the basic rules ant intricacies of the game is essential ( otherwise it would be like an American watching cricket) The appeal v other American sports is fewer games + a one off final instead of best of 7

Regarding tonights game it is hard to see beyond the Panthers. However if the Broncos defence can keep it to within 7 points by half time then it will really be game on. I think they might sneak it then

Superbowl 50 on 12:32 - Feb 8 with 1711 viewsParkinsGimp

Definite no for me..I was struggling to sleep last night forgot Super Bore 50 was on , that would of done the trick( or maybe not, probably wind me up with all the bluster and adverts ) . Then they had an awful band at half time playing music for bed wetters!!!
Superbowl 50 on 12:57 - Feb 8 with 1667 viewsDaley_Lama

Really enjoyed it myself, stayed all of the way to the end (3:20)

The Denver defence was awesome, sacking almost at will.

Cam Newton didn't exactly freeze but his early passes were not great, his catchers dropped and then fore some explicable reason they decided to run the ball down dead ends.

The Panthers defence was good too, Ealy in particular.

It was more a game of who made (or forced) the least mistakes. The Denver offence was almost non-existent as Manning ground to a halt.

Poll: DF in or out

Superbowl 50 on 13:54 - Feb 8 with 1625 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:55 - Feb 8 by Nigeriamark

Your lucky to have been to the Super Bowl. It's on my bucket list of things to do. I am just waiting for the Cleveland Browns to get there ( Therefore I have plenty of time to save up for a trip !!)

Today's game was superb. Shows it is not all about scoring and attacking . Watching the underdog Broncos defence dismantle the Panthers both physically and mentally made it one of the better Superbowls, following on from another cracker last year.

Half time show was pretty good too although not as good as last year

Commiserations on being a Browns fan. Possibly the only franchise more dysfunctional than the dolphins.

Agree about it being a very good game.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Superbowl 50 on 14:03 - Feb 8 with 1601 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 12:57 - Feb 8 by Daley_Lama

Really enjoyed it myself, stayed all of the way to the end (3:20)

The Denver defence was awesome, sacking almost at will.

Cam Newton didn't exactly freeze but his early passes were not great, his catchers dropped and then fore some explicable reason they decided to run the ball down dead ends.

The Panthers defence was good too, Ealy in particular.

It was more a game of who made (or forced) the least mistakes. The Denver offence was almost non-existent as Manning ground to a halt.

My best mate is a Broncos fan and I said to him I thought it would go one of two ways - either Panthers would score a lot of points as they have done in the Div and Conf championships, or they'd be star struck and wilt under the lights. Think it was a little of the latter but a stellar performance by the Denver D. Cam came out pumped and overthrew receivers, then receivers dropped balls, 2 fumbles from Tolver, Olsen (their bread and butter receiver) taken out of the game almost completely and Denver getting pressure by rushing the front 4, but making it worse with situational blitzing as well. It was all just too much for Carolina.

In the final analysis though, Denver did what the Patriot scum normally do to win - exactly what you said - hung around and let the other team beat them by making more mistakes. Tip of the cap from one Lama to another!

Some amazing post-game stats below

Superbowl 50 on 15:53 - Feb 8 with 1549 viewspioneer

Superbowl 50 on 13:54 - Feb 8 by DaleiLama

Commiserations on being a Browns fan. Possibly the only franchise more dysfunctional than the dolphins.

Agree about it being a very good game.

Dont forget me and my Bills when it comes to dysfunctionality - only team to not make the play offs this millenium!
Superbowl 50 on 16:00 - Feb 8 with 1548 viewspioneer

Superbowl 50 on 11:55 - Feb 8 by Nigeriamark

Your lucky to have been to the Super Bowl. It's on my bucket list of things to do. I am just waiting for the Cleveland Browns to get there ( Therefore I have plenty of time to save up for a trip !!)

Today's game was superb. Shows it is not all about scoring and attacking . Watching the underdog Broncos defence dismantle the Panthers both physically and mentally made it one of the better Superbowls, following on from another cracker last year.

Half time show was pretty good too although not as good as last year

Well if you start saving up now a quid a week you should have enough by the time the browns get there!

More Manzel nonsense at the moment - probably cut him in the next week or so and then start the search for another QB (seems like an annual event for the Browns).

I usually get to a Browns game each year during my annual trip - so if you are ever planning a trip let me know. No longer make the mistake of risking December games though. Several years ago we were there in a blizzard and my son got frostbite in his foot! He was treated by this gorgeous blonde curvy nurse practitioner in the first aid room run by the Cleveland clinic - almost worth getting the frostbite!
Superbowl 50 on 16:06 - Feb 8 with 1539 viewsaleanddale

The only sport that plays in ANY weather...

Some of the deep snow games are fantastic to watch.
Superbowl 50 on 17:07 - Feb 8 with 1518 viewsrobbowood

Superbowl 50 on 16:06 - Feb 8 by aleanddale

The only sport that plays in ANY weather...

Some of the deep snow games are fantastic to watch.

The "Ice bowl" in Green Bay is considered one of the greatest games in NFL History. On 31 December 1967 the Packers beat the Cowboys 21-17. Even for Green Bay this was EXCEPTIONALLY COLD. Frank Gifford's "comments" at the end are no doubt true!!

The game-time temperature at Lambeau Field was about −15 °F (−26 °C), with an average wind chill around −48 °F (−44 °C); under the revised National Weather Service wind chill index implemented in 2001, the average wind chill would have been −36 °F (−38 °C). Lambeau Field's turf-heating system malfunctioned and when the tarpaulin was removed from the field before the game it left moisture on the field, which flash-froze in the extreme cold, leaving an icy surface that got worse as more and more of the field fell into the shadow of the stadium. The heating system, made by General Electric, cost $80,000 and was bought from the nephew of George Halas, George Halas Jr. On the sidelines before the game some Dallas players believed that Lombardi had purposely removed power to the heating coils. The prior convention to prevent the football field from icing up was to cover the field with dozens of tons of hay

The University of Wisconsin—La Crosse (then Wisconsin State University—La Crosse) Marching Chiefs band was scheduled to perform the pre-game and half-time shows. However, during warm-ups in the brutal cold, the woodwind instruments froze and would not play; the mouthpieces of brass instruments got stuck to the players' lips; and seven members of the band were transported to local hospitals for hypothermia. The band's further performances were canceled for the day. During the game, an elderly spectator in the stands died from exposure.

Prior to the game, many of the Green Bay players were unable to start their cars in the freezing weather, forcing them to make alternate travel arrangements to make it to the stadium on time. Linebacker Dave Robinson had to flag down a random passing motorist for a ride. The referees for the game found they did not have sufficient clothing for the cold, and had to make an early trip to a sporting goods store for earmuffs, heavy gloves, and thermal underwear. Packers quarterback Bart Starr attended an early church service with his father, who had visited for the game, and as Starr later said, "It was so cold that neither of us talked about it. Nobody wanted to bring it up."

The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kick-off. As referee Norm Schachter blew his metal whistle to signal the start of play, it froze to his lips. As he attempted to free the whistle from his lips, the skin ripped off and his lips began to bleed. The conditions were so hostile that instead of forming a scab, the blood simply froze to his lip. For the rest of the game, the officials used voice commands and calls to end plays and officiate the game. At one point during the game, CBS announcer Frank Gifford said on air, "I'm going to take a bite of my coffee."
Login to get fewer ads

Superbowl 50 on 17:55 - Feb 8 with 1499 viewsaleanddale

Superbowl 50 on 17:07 - Feb 8 by robbowood

The "Ice bowl" in Green Bay is considered one of the greatest games in NFL History. On 31 December 1967 the Packers beat the Cowboys 21-17. Even for Green Bay this was EXCEPTIONALLY COLD. Frank Gifford's "comments" at the end are no doubt true!!

The game-time temperature at Lambeau Field was about −15 °F (−26 °C), with an average wind chill around −48 °F (−44 °C); under the revised National Weather Service wind chill index implemented in 2001, the average wind chill would have been −36 °F (−38 °C). Lambeau Field's turf-heating system malfunctioned and when the tarpaulin was removed from the field before the game it left moisture on the field, which flash-froze in the extreme cold, leaving an icy surface that got worse as more and more of the field fell into the shadow of the stadium. The heating system, made by General Electric, cost $80,000 and was bought from the nephew of George Halas, George Halas Jr. On the sidelines before the game some Dallas players believed that Lombardi had purposely removed power to the heating coils. The prior convention to prevent the football field from icing up was to cover the field with dozens of tons of hay

The University of Wisconsin—La Crosse (then Wisconsin State University—La Crosse) Marching Chiefs band was scheduled to perform the pre-game and half-time shows. However, during warm-ups in the brutal cold, the woodwind instruments froze and would not play; the mouthpieces of brass instruments got stuck to the players' lips; and seven members of the band were transported to local hospitals for hypothermia. The band's further performances were canceled for the day. During the game, an elderly spectator in the stands died from exposure.

Prior to the game, many of the Green Bay players were unable to start their cars in the freezing weather, forcing them to make alternate travel arrangements to make it to the stadium on time. Linebacker Dave Robinson had to flag down a random passing motorist for a ride. The referees for the game found they did not have sufficient clothing for the cold, and had to make an early trip to a sporting goods store for earmuffs, heavy gloves, and thermal underwear. Packers quarterback Bart Starr attended an early church service with his father, who had visited for the game, and as Starr later said, "It was so cold that neither of us talked about it. Nobody wanted to bring it up."

The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kick-off. As referee Norm Schachter blew his metal whistle to signal the start of play, it froze to his lips. As he attempted to free the whistle from his lips, the skin ripped off and his lips began to bleed. The conditions were so hostile that instead of forming a scab, the blood simply froze to his lip. For the rest of the game, the officials used voice commands and calls to end plays and officiate the game. At one point during the game, CBS announcer Frank Gifford said on air, "I'm going to take a bite of my coffee."

Fantastic!!

Puts our premiership glove wearing nancy boys to shame!!
Superbowl 50 on 01:09 - Feb 9 with 1447 viewsNigeriamark

Superbowl 50 on 16:00 - Feb 8 by pioneer

Well if you start saving up now a quid a week you should have enough by the time the browns get there!

More Manzel nonsense at the moment - probably cut him in the next week or so and then start the search for another QB (seems like an annual event for the Browns).

I usually get to a Browns game each year during my annual trip - so if you are ever planning a trip let me know. No longer make the mistake of risking December games though. Several years ago we were there in a blizzard and my son got frostbite in his foot! He was treated by this gorgeous blonde curvy nurse practitioner in the first aid room run by the Cleveland clinic - almost worth getting the frostbite!

Might take you up on that. Looks like I will move back to Nigeria next month for 2-3 years, but for a company based in New York. If they call me for a meeting during the season, I will stay on for the weekend and head off to Cleveland. Seen them twice but never a home game so would be great to get a ticket in the Dawg Pound .

Good time Johnny will be on his way and we have 2nd choice in the draft for a QB ( unless Bernie Kosar comes out of retirement !!). Seems the new head coach is a good one but is a tough job and will take a good few years to get that franchise going. However KH did it at the Dale after years of hurt so who knows
Superbowl 50 on 02:03 - Feb 9 with 1444 viewspioneer

Sadly the rael dawgpound was lost with the move from the mistake on the lake...memorial stadium. Managed to get to a game there in its last season and sat on the dawgpound...brilliant.

Stil a great atmosphere..they are wonderful fans in Cleveland despite the ever increasing period of mediocrity...in all sports. The pressure is on LeBron to end the drought.
Superbowl 50 on 04:28 - Feb 9 with 1439 viewsdownunder

Superbowl 50 on 12:32 - Feb 8 by ParkinsGimp

Definite no for me..I was struggling to sleep last night forgot Super Bore 50 was on , that would of done the trick( or maybe not, probably wind me up with all the bluster and adverts ) . Then they had an awful band at half time playing music for bed wetters!!!

Your knowledge and appreciation of popular music is obviously on a par with your knowledge and appreciation of professional football.
You and buryyy should meet up, you will get on fine. On second thoughts, no, just in case you mate and reproduce.
Superbowl 50 on 09:11 - Feb 9 with 1402 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 04:28 - Feb 9 by downunder

Your knowledge and appreciation of popular music is obviously on a par with your knowledge and appreciation of professional football.
You and buryyy should meet up, you will get on fine. On second thoughts, no, just in case you mate and reproduce.

Good post downunder, but the chances are slim. The pair of them are firing blanks on here.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Superbowl 50 on 10:05 - Feb 9 with 1375 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 09:11 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

Good post downunder, but the chances are slim. The pair of them are firing blanks on here.

There are very good and valid reasons why some genetic lines do not endure.

#Darwinism

There are always back up plans too - just ask their Jurassic forebears

#Duck,there'sanasteroidonitsway
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 10:10]

Superbowl 50 on 11:58 - Feb 9 with 1327 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 10:05 - Feb 9 by DaleiLama

There are very good and valid reasons why some genetic lines do not endure.

#Darwinism

There are always back up plans too - just ask their Jurassic forebears

#Duck,there'sanasteroidonitsway
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 10:10]

I'm pleased to see that dinosaurs still retained their ability to use an apostrophe during a catastrophy

Superbowl 50 on 12:33 - Feb 9 with 1240 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:58 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

I'm pleased to see that dinosaurs still retained their ability to use an apostrophe during a catastrophy

The Titanosaur managed to overcome issues like "How do you eat a skip full of food every day without ever chewing? How do you walk on tiptoes when you’re the length of four London buses? How do you have sex when you weigh 70 tons?

Punctuation under pressure was a mere bagatelle for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/17/dinosaur-titanosaur-largest-anim

PS It did, however, struggle with understanding basic finance or how a team full of L2 rejects could manage to beat top of the table L1 teams.

Superbowl 50 on 14:14 - Feb 9 with 1187 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 12:33 - Feb 9 by DaleiLama

The Titanosaur managed to overcome issues like "How do you eat a skip full of food every day without ever chewing? How do you walk on tiptoes when you’re the length of four London buses? How do you have sex when you weigh 70 tons?

Punctuation under pressure was a mere bagatelle for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/17/dinosaur-titanosaur-largest-anim

PS It did, however, struggle with understanding basic finance or how a team full of L2 rejects could manage to beat top of the table L1 teams.

That's because it ate it's way beyond the argentinosaur

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentinosaurus

It's marginally smaller cousin had a much better understanding of football, having been brought up with a natural affinity for the game. This was lost when the gigantosaur spent too much time playing bagatelle (the forerunner of Grand Theft Auto)

Evolution, eh?

Superbowl 50 on 18:46 - Feb 9 with 1132 viewsfunkkk

Superbowl 50 on 13:46 - Feb 7 by Porlicks

Don't accept the argument of it being stop-start as a valid argument against it. Name a sport that doesn't stop and start. Certainly not soccer(!!!), you'll only get about 60 minutes of actual play in a 90 minute game.

And every sport is dull if you don't know the rules.

Still won't be watching it, mind.

The average game of American Football lasts 3hrs 12 mins with the ball in play for just 11 mins throughout (they actually spend more time showing replays). The average play is four seconds, so no, it doesn't really compare to other sports.
Superbowl 50 on 19:43 - Feb 9 with 1104 viewsrichfoad32

Superbowl 50 on 01:09 - Feb 9 by Nigeriamark

Might take you up on that. Looks like I will move back to Nigeria next month for 2-3 years, but for a company based in New York. If they call me for a meeting during the season, I will stay on for the weekend and head off to Cleveland. Seen them twice but never a home game so would be great to get a ticket in the Dawg Pound .

Good time Johnny will be on his way and we have 2nd choice in the draft for a QB ( unless Bernie Kosar comes out of retirement !!). Seems the new head coach is a good one but is a tough job and will take a good few years to get that franchise going. However KH did it at the Dale after years of hurt so who knows

Bernie, Bernie, Oh yeah, How you can throw.......

I was a big fan of the NFL during its first boom period here in the mid to late 80's, then lost track of it a bit when it moved to Sky Sports. Even though I now have Sky and access to games it's just not the same somehow.....I will watch, but the initial enthusisasm I had as a kid has gone and the action does seem very fitful.

I saw a couple of NFL games live in the early 90's and my abiding memory is seeing the Redskins in L.A. As a big 'Skins fan I was thinking there might be a handful of us dotted around the stadium given the distance from Washington, but was staggered as coach after coach pulled up and disgorged hundreds of Redskins supporters into the parking lot. Ended up taking over most of the bottom tier of the stadium and put to bed a couple of myths about American sports fans to me. One is that they can't create an atmosphere and the other is that there are no away supporters at events. Brilliant day.
Superbowl 50 on 11:31 - Feb 10 with 1026 viewspioneer

and there is no segregation...fans of opposing teams sit side by side and anyone can buy a ticket for any seat or section, while continuing to be passionate about their team.

Its like returning to the human race.
Superbowl 50 on 11:47 - Feb 10 with 1017 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 18:46 - Feb 9 by funkkk

The average game of American Football lasts 3hrs 12 mins with the ball in play for just 11 mins throughout (they actually spend more time showing replays). The average play is four seconds, so no, it doesn't really compare to other sports.

Guess you're not a cricket fan then?

Superbowl 50 on 11:50 - Feb 10 with 1007 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:31 - Feb 10 by pioneer

and there is no segregation...fans of opposing teams sit side by side and anyone can buy a ticket for any seat or section, while continuing to be passionate about their team.

Its like returning to the human race.

You can even drink beer in your seat brought to you in your seat by someone selling it. Last time I went to Spotland I couldn't even get served during the half time interval.

Have you used ticket exchange?

#stampoutthetouts

Superbowl 50 on 12:49 - Feb 10 with 984 viewsJumeirahDale

Found myself gravitating towards the sport over the last five years to the extent that I now can't get enough of it. Big fan of the Houston Texans (which I realise is a bit like being an MK Dons fan given the age of the franchise, but still). IMO, JJ Watt is one of the finest sportsmen on the planet today in both effort and achievement. Absolutely jaw-dropping. Shame we can't find a quarterback...

I understand why people are put off by the stop/start nature, but it really doesn't bother me. I love the tactical nature of it and am constantly impressed by the players' ability to remember hundreds of plays at the drop of a hat. And I actually enjoyed this years' SB more than last year's despite the lack of drama at the end (maybe because everyone's least favourite team won last year...)

Also a big fan of college ball, am moving to Boise, Idaho in a few months so looking forward to finally getting to see a game on the big blue turf.
Superbowl 50 on 21:04 - Feb 10 with 929 viewspioneer

Superbowl 50 on 11:50 - Feb 10 by DaleiLama

You can even drink beer in your seat brought to you in your seat by someone selling it. Last time I went to Spotland I couldn't even get served during the half time interval.

Have you used ticket exchange?

#stampoutthetouts

Yes I have and it was fine but I tend to find you can get better deals on stub hub probably because NFL ticket exchange probably dont like tickets being sold below face price.
Superbowl 50 on 08:12 - Feb 11 with 884 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 21:04 - Feb 10 by pioneer

Yes I have and it was fine but I tend to find you can get better deals on stub hub probably because NFL ticket exchange probably dont like tickets being sold below face price.

Thanks for the tip Pioneer - will try it next time I get chance to go to a game!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024