Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superbowl 50 04:00 - Feb 7 with 5691 viewsNigeriamark

How many are going to stay up and watch this ( or in my case get up early). If a fan who do you support - My team is the Cleveland Browns

Most people in the UK love NFL or hate it - it is my favourite non- traditional British sport with the Super Bowl being right up there as a global event. I have followed it since Channel 4 started coverage in 1982 and have been lucky enough to see 5 NFL games. Knowing the basic rules ant intricacies of the game is essential ( otherwise it would be like an American watching cricket) The appeal v other American sports is fewer games + a one off final instead of best of 7

Regarding tonights game it is hard to see beyond the Panthers. However if the Broncos defence can keep it to within 7 points by half time then it will really be game on. I think they might sneak it then

Superbowl 50 on 11:52 - Feb 7 with 3236 viewsBrierls

I think it's utter shite, I find it too stop start and painful to watch. Admittedly I don't know the rules, but then I don't really have any wish to either.

I'm very much dumbing it down but I think you can judge a sport by its take up across the world...how many countries are there several recognised football leagues, rugby union leagues, even cricket leagues. If a sport doesn't travel well, there's usually a good reason for it.

Agree about it being a big global event. It's the event that most people get interested in, not the sport itself.

*Edit* To answer your original question, I won't be watching it haha
[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 11:53]
Superbowl 50 on 12:18 - Feb 7 with 3207 viewsisitme

I'll record it and watch it tomorrow evening after work. That way I can fast forward the breaks in play. I hope the Panthers win being a Chiefs supporter, who I got the privileged of seeing destroy Detroit at Wembley earlier in the season.
Superbowl 50 on 12:20 - Feb 7 with 3201 viewsD_Alien

There's probably a decent sport in there somewhere, but ruined by the yankee hype.

And no.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Superbowl 50 on 12:27 - Feb 7 with 3186 viewsR17ALE

Good God no!

It's an even worse spectacle than Rugby, which once more is being foisted upon us on ITV this afternoon, usurping the regular Bond film that has been given a recent regular Sunday afternoon slot.

So now I've got the one choice to watch a load of Taffs and Paddies egg chasing when I'd much rather have been enjoying pussy galore!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Superbowl 50 on 12:29 - Feb 7 with 3178 viewsfitzochris

Superbowl 50 on 12:27 - Feb 7 by R17ALE

Good God no!

It's an even worse spectacle than Rugby, which once more is being foisted upon us on ITV this afternoon, usurping the regular Bond film that has been given a recent regular Sunday afternoon slot.

So now I've got the one choice to watch a load of Taffs and Paddies egg chasing when I'd much rather have been enjoying pussy galore!

I think it was Live And Let Die's turn today, but, aye, missing out on Solataire for some egg chasing is a bum deal.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Superbowl 50 on 12:49 - Feb 7 with 3158 viewsdalestats

Superbowl 50 on 12:27 - Feb 7 by R17ALE

Good God no!

Or watch another channel.

Poll: Remain in the eu

Superbowl 50 on 13:36 - Feb 7 with 3130 viewsNigeriamark

Superbowl 50 on 12:20 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

There's probably a decent sport in there somewhere, but ruined by the yankee hype.

And no.

your right on the Hype ( Isn't everything over there) and the number of ad breaks is painful. But there is definitely a good game in there. Hopefully Coldplay can put on a good display too in the half time show
Superbowl 50 on 13:36 - Feb 7 with 3130 viewsrobbowood

Superbowl 50 on 11:52 - Feb 7 by Brierls

I think it's utter shite, I find it too stop start and painful to watch. Admittedly I don't know the rules, but then I don't really have any wish to either.

I'm very much dumbing it down but I think you can judge a sport by its take up across the world...how many countries are there several recognised football leagues, rugby union leagues, even cricket leagues. If a sport doesn't travel well, there's usually a good reason for it.

Agree about it being a big global event. It's the event that most people get interested in, not the sport itself.

Everyone to their own opinion!

I enjoy it and shall be listening on my internet radio to Westwood One, the main radio station for live "play-by-play" (as they say across the pond) commentary of the National Football League in the USA

Cricket is played in many countries but most non-cricket people would think it is only played in half-a-dozen at most

American football is played in American Samoa, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Costa Rica, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chili, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Moldova, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Thailand, Australia, and Venezuela
Login to get fewer ads

Superbowl 50 on 13:46 - Feb 7 with 3123 viewsPorlicks

Don't accept the argument of it being stop-start as a valid argument against it. Name a sport that doesn't stop and start. Certainly not soccer(!!!), you'll only get about 60 minutes of actual play in a 90 minute game.

And every sport is dull if you don't know the rules.

Still won't be watching it, mind.

Who are YOU with?

Superbowl 50 on 13:56 - Feb 7 with 3109 viewspioneer

The ads help pay the bills and mean the players are not turned into advertising hoardings. No NFL player has had to enter the field with a watering can on his shirt!

Great game, and 10 times as good when seen at the stadium with pre game tail gate.

Of course you can get a stinker, just like in footy. I was at a browns v bills game a few years ago tha finished 6-3.

Lucky enough to have been to two superbowls and as far as putting on an event, they leave UK events far behind.

Go Bills......(if only!)
Superbowl 50 on 19:53 - Feb 7 with 3010 viewsShun

There's something about it I quite enjoy, but I'm not sure what. I gave up last year when thirty minutes after the kick off there'd only been something absurd like eleven seconds of play. Bizarre.
Superbowl 50 on 20:00 - Feb 7 with 2992 viewsDiddyDave

Typical American game,all hype and not much action. I wouldn`t watch it if was the only thing on the idiot box,but I could say that about most sport these days!
Superbowl 50 on 00:14 - Feb 8 with 2853 viewsDaley_Lama

Superbowl is ace and compared to my beloved Test Match Cricket, is wham, bam, thank-you man.

Cam can is already looking like Cam can't, overthrown first pass, incompletes, sacked for a TD, sacked again.

Big favourites 10-0 down early on, should be interesting

Poll: DF in or out

Superbowl 50 on 00:19 - Feb 8 with 2847 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 00:14 - Feb 8 by Daley_Lama

Superbowl is ace and compared to my beloved Test Match Cricket, is wham, bam, thank-you man.

Cam can is already looking like Cam can't, overthrown first pass, incompletes, sacked for a TD, sacked again.

Big favourites 10-0 down early on, should be interesting

A bit like watching a Ben Stokes / Jos Buttler partnership?

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 0:28]

Superbowl 50 on 00:33 - Feb 8 with 2827 viewsolympicdale

God no, over hyped American rubbish. Take off all that padding and it'd be a start, a concert interrupted by a game.

Life is a game of fate.

Superbowl 50 on 01:15 - Feb 8 with 2812 viewsKenBoon

Superbowl 50 on 00:33 - Feb 8 by olympicdale

God no, over hyped American rubbish. Take off all that padding and it'd be a start, a concert interrupted by a game.

Why'd you want them to take their clothes off?

American Football can be a good watch. Good to see a sport where the players know the laws of the game (although not necessarily the law of the land)
Superbowl 50 on 01:34 - Feb 8 with 2805 viewsDaley_Lama

Superbowl 50 on 00:19 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

A bit like watching a Ben Stokes / Jos Buttler partnership?

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 0:28]

I think Jos has a way to go to get back into the starting XI at test level mesen.

Is Chris Martin waiting for a knee op?

Poll: DF in or out

Superbowl 50 on 08:50 - Feb 8 with 2720 viewsaleanddale

Big Shock,

Panthers got a bit of stage fright!.

don't mind the sport TBH but edited highlights I cant sit through a whole game live.
Superbowl 50 on 11:00 - Feb 8 with 2686 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:52 - Feb 7 by Brierls

Also a big fan of the sport and the Dolphins. Seen them play at old and new Wembley three times and another ~10 times in the US. They are cr@p at present, but there is some consolation in that they have the best cheerleaders.

As for the game, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would say that some of the finishes of games can be the most dramatic in sport and in my opinion, unmatched (or very rarely) in other sports.

As for the comment about take up, the NFL tried both the World League and NFL Europe several decades ago, but the timing was too early. It was a bit like the bubble economy - interest rose fast but the bubble burst and it went "out of fashion". With the current increased tv coverage and social media, make no mistake there is a new groundswell of popularity and interest which is much, much greater than the last attempt by the NFL to spread it's wings.

The current state of play is that there are 3 regular season games in the UK (Wembley and White Hart Lane) and I believe a game will also be played in Mexico next year. Games have been played in Japan too and the sport is generally well followed in Europe - plenty of mainland European NFL fans travel to Wembley and the US to see games. The US market is saturated in terms of taking cash off fans so the only way owners and the league can make more cash is to expand beyond their borders. Many in the game in the US including owners still want to keep it a "US sport", but they are a minority and globalisation is the clear strategy. The league eventually would like to get a game played every week in the UK (the biggest market outside the US) and eventually have a franchise here (Jacksonville Jags might even consider such a move?), but most fans here already have a team, so there are obvious issues there.

American football has many challenges ahead. Equipment cost is not insignificant and concussion and performance enhancement "supplements" will affect take up for future generations, but my guess is that the sport now has enough critical mass to get over the hump, if it hasn't already, and will continue to spread throughout other first world countries.

It will never challenge footy as the number one global sport though - at it's most basic level you just need four shirts and a ball!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Superbowl 50 on 11:19 - Feb 8 with 2661 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 11:00 - Feb 8 by DaleiLama

Also a big fan of the sport and the Dolphins. Seen them play at old and new Wembley three times and another ~10 times in the US. They are cr@p at present, but there is some consolation in that they have the best cheerleaders.

As for the game, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would say that some of the finishes of games can be the most dramatic in sport and in my opinion, unmatched (or very rarely) in other sports.

As for the comment about take up, the NFL tried both the World League and NFL Europe several decades ago, but the timing was too early. It was a bit like the bubble economy - interest rose fast but the bubble burst and it went "out of fashion". With the current increased tv coverage and social media, make no mistake there is a new groundswell of popularity and interest which is much, much greater than the last attempt by the NFL to spread it's wings.

The current state of play is that there are 3 regular season games in the UK (Wembley and White Hart Lane) and I believe a game will also be played in Mexico next year. Games have been played in Japan too and the sport is generally well followed in Europe - plenty of mainland European NFL fans travel to Wembley and the US to see games. The US market is saturated in terms of taking cash off fans so the only way owners and the league can make more cash is to expand beyond their borders. Many in the game in the US including owners still want to keep it a "US sport", but they are a minority and globalisation is the clear strategy. The league eventually would like to get a game played every week in the UK (the biggest market outside the US) and eventually have a franchise here (Jacksonville Jags might even consider such a move?), but most fans here already have a team, so there are obvious issues there.

American football has many challenges ahead. Equipment cost is not insignificant and concussion and performance enhancement "supplements" will affect take up for future generations, but my guess is that the sport now has enough critical mass to get over the hump, if it hasn't already, and will continue to spread throughout other first world countries.

It will never challenge footy as the number one global sport though - at it's most basic level you just need four shirts and a ball!

Pullovers, surely?

Superbowl 50 on 11:26 - Feb 8 with 2642 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:19 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

Pullovers, surely?

Here, yes, of course - was thinking of a lot of poorer countries where American footy will never be played. And pullies will rarely be worn!

Superbowl 50 on 11:28 - Feb 8 with 2639 viewsD_Alien

Superbowl 50 on 11:26 - Feb 8 by DaleiLama

Here, yes, of course - was thinking of a lot of poorer countries where American footy will never be played. And pullies will rarely be worn!

Ha! I'm all for women's football. They can take their shirts off anytime

Superbowl 50 on 11:31 - Feb 8 with 2623 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 11:28 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

Ha! I'm all for women's football. They can take their shirts off anytime

Now that's where American footy may have something to offer even the most died in the wool opponent?!?

Google Lingerie league. Enjoy!

Superbowl 50 on 11:55 - Feb 8 with 2598 viewsNigeriamark

Superbowl 50 on 13:56 - Feb 7 by pioneer

The ads help pay the bills and mean the players are not turned into advertising hoardings. No NFL player has had to enter the field with a watering can on his shirt!

Great game, and 10 times as good when seen at the stadium with pre game tail gate.

Of course you can get a stinker, just like in footy. I was at a browns v bills game a few years ago tha finished 6-3.

Lucky enough to have been to two superbowls and as far as putting on an event, they leave UK events far behind.

Go Bills......(if only!)

Your lucky to have been to the Super Bowl. It's on my bucket list of things to do. I am just waiting for the Cleveland Browns to get there ( Therefore I have plenty of time to save up for a trip !!)

Today's game was superb. Shows it is not all about scoring and attacking . Watching the underdog Broncos defence dismantle the Panthers both physically and mentally made it one of the better Superbowls, following on from another cracker last year.

Half time show was pretty good too although not as good as last year
Superbowl 50 on 12:09 - Feb 8 with 2573 viewsrobbowood

Superbowl 50 on 11:55 - Feb 8 by Nigeriamark

Your lucky to have been to the Super Bowl. It's on my bucket list of things to do. I am just waiting for the Cleveland Browns to get there ( Therefore I have plenty of time to save up for a trip !!)

Today's game was superb. Shows it is not all about scoring and attacking . Watching the underdog Broncos defence dismantle the Panthers both physically and mentally made it one of the better Superbowls, following on from another cracker last year.

Half time show was pretty good too although not as good as last year

Not a classic for thosue who like to see a load of touchdowns

However with Denver having the no.1 defence against the Panthers no.1 offence it made for an absolutely fascinating game with the result in doubt almost right up to the end. I thought the Panthers would win even though I wanted Denver to do so. I was 100% wrong!!

Peyton Manning the oldest quarterback (39) ever to have started a Superbowl - after his neck surgery he was never the same - will surely now retire. He is undoubtedly one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024