Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Idiot BBC commentators or what? 14:16 - Feb 7 with 4662 viewsMorden

I find it very difficult now to watch any kind of tv without wondering how it gets put together and what the program makers are thinking about when they do it

I've presumed for a while that Match Of The Day commentary is added after the fact. Too many comments seem precient ("Agbonlahor...hasn't scored this season... oh look, there he goes...2-0...") but I don't know what to make of the descriptions of the Newcastle/WBA game. To start with, when the team formation was displayed, they had Dawson at left back rather than his more usual right-back. Fair enough, I thought; could have happened.

But for the goal, Shelvey threaded the ball through the channel on Newcastle's left for Mitrovic to score and the commentator pointed out that Dawson hadn't got back quickly enough. He actually said 'Dawson, the left-back'.

Is he blind? Did he think that the left-back had come that far across? Or had he been given a script put together by someone else who had noticed the number 25 on Dawson's shirt and then checked the team formation to see where he played.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 19:50 - Feb 7 with 4445 viewsDiddyDave

I`ve got my doubts that they`re actually at the game,more likely commentating from the studio as they`ve done at the Olympics for a number of years.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 19:51 - Feb 7 with 4443 viewsDickydaler

You know, that's been nagging at me all day as well! I didn't half yell at the tv last night when R Craig was wrongly blamed.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:59 - Feb 7 with 4281 viewsnordenblue

Dawson was actually playing left back at Newcastle,I got a text off a friend just before kick off saying the same.

Newcastles goal came about because Dawson whilst playing left back didn't keep the line with the other defenders and played Mitrovic onside on the opposite side of the pitch.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:11 - Feb 7 with 4184 viewszxcvbnm

match of the Day annoys me as its so obviously scripted after the games have finished. Commentating live though is probably tricky, no chance for that crafty edit.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:46 - Feb 7 with 4157 viewsD_Alien

Someone should do the kind thing to Motson and shoot him.

When "commentating" on the Spurs/Watford game he insisted on calling the goalscorer Trippiere as if he was a fookin French international or summat. The lad Trippier was born in Bury.

[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 23:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:57 - Feb 7 with 4138 viewsTVOS1907

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:46 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

Someone should do the kind thing to Motson and shoot him.

When "commentating" on the Spurs/Watford game he insisted on calling the goalscorer Trippiere as if he was a fookin French international or summat. The lad Trippier was born in Bury.

[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 23:50]

Ha, spotted that last night. What an idiot.

Like zxcvbnm says, though, commentating live is an art form that takes plenty of practice to perfect, rather like learning to drive or like other things that need plenty of practice!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 00:10 - Feb 8 with 4125 viewsD_Alien

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:57 - Feb 7 by TVOS1907

Ha, spotted that last night. What an idiot.

Like zxcvbnm says, though, commentating live is an art form that takes plenty of practice to perfect, rather like learning to drive or like other things that need plenty of practice!

Motson's had longer than most to practice, but should've been put out to grass when he'd failed to get it right after the first couple of decades!

Obviously being scripted now. When he started out he wouldn't have been using an affected pronunciation either, but working for the BBC must've got to him in the end.

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 09:27 - Feb 8 with 3987 viewsdingdangblue

Motson's last 'live' tv commentary was the Euro 2008 final.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:11 - Feb 8 with 3870 viewsMorden

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:59 - Feb 7 by nordenblue

Dawson was actually playing left back at Newcastle,I got a text off a friend just before kick off saying the same.

Newcastles goal came about because Dawson whilst playing left back didn't keep the line with the other defenders and played Mitrovic onside on the opposite side of the pitch.

OK, didn't think of that. I did see the left-back playing Mitrovic onside. But I still thought Dawson was the one chasing him because of the 2something on the shirt; must have been McAuley

But then Dawson must have swapped over because later in the game the the commentator identified him as the right-back who played a great ball up to the front two (who then made a right pigs ear of it).
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:28 - Feb 8 with 3840 views49thseason

It was hugely amusing to hear the Tottenham v Watford MOTD commentator pronouncing "Trippier" in some sort of schoolboy French fashion .. Trippiay (unless of course everyone born in Bury has affected a French twang to their name). Or it could be that the BBC is so up itself that they can't get their heads around common British names anymore.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:33 - Feb 8 with 3835 viewsDaleView

I have no issues with this. I always hit the mute button. However, it would be much better if you could hit the red button to simply obliterate the commentary but still pick up the crowd noise.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:43 - Feb 8 with 3805 viewsBarryStrange

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 23:11 - Feb 7 by zxcvbnm

match of the Day annoys me as its so obviously scripted after the games have finished. Commentating live though is probably tricky, no chance for that crafty edit.

It's the corners that bug me for that.

As if they want to persuade us that the commentator is some kind of major savant in league with a crystal ball-gazing cameraman to say "Robert Huth always a threat from corners..." shortly before he scores.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 14:18 - Feb 8 with 3754 viewslove_the_dale

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:33 - Feb 8 by DaleView

I have no issues with this. I always hit the mute button. However, it would be much better if you could hit the red button to simply obliterate the commentary but still pick up the crowd noise.

Many years ago that was an option on Sky. So it can be done, but noone makes it available. A pity.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 15:35 - Feb 8 with 3695 viewsnordenblue

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:11 - Feb 8 by Morden

OK, didn't think of that. I did see the left-back playing Mitrovic onside. But I still thought Dawson was the one chasing him because of the 2something on the shirt; must have been McAuley

But then Dawson must have swapped over because later in the game the the commentator identified him as the right-back who played a great ball up to the front two (who then made a right pigs ear of it).

McAuley was the lad chasing him back you're right,while Dawson was at left back playing him onside.

He was then changed to right Mid later on in the game so it would have been him playing it through to the front 2,you're spot on again.

A good friend of mine did the club radio for WBA for years so still keeps me in the "loop" currently on all things Dawson
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 18:43 - Feb 8 with 3606 viewsD_Alien

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 13:28 - Feb 8 by 49thseason

It was hugely amusing to hear the Tottenham v Watford MOTD commentator pronouncing "Trippier" in some sort of schoolboy French fashion .. Trippiay (unless of course everyone born in Bury has affected a French twang to their name). Or it could be that the BBC is so up itself that they can't get their heads around common British names anymore.

See post at 23:46 Feb 7

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:11 - Feb 8 with 3545 views49thseason

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 18:43 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

See post at 23:46 Feb 7

Sorry, note to self.. read thread properly. But i guess it demonstrates that great minds think alike ..or summat.
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:49 - Feb 8 with 3509 viewspioneer

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:11 - Feb 8 by 49thseason

Sorry, note to self.. read thread properly. But i guess it demonstrates that great minds think alike ..or summat.

There used to be a Trippier presence on Rochdale council, I think one of them stood for parliament as conservative against Naughty Boy Cyril one election. Any relation?
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:55 - Feb 8 with 3494 viewsSuddenLad

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:49 - Feb 8 by pioneer

There used to be a Trippier presence on Rochdale council, I think one of them stood for parliament as conservative against Naughty Boy Cyril one election. Any relation?

Different spelling. Sir David Trippier was MP for the Rossendale Valley and was appointed Small Business Minister in Margaret Thatchers' cabinet. His wife Ruth is/was a Barrister.

Sir Davids' father, Austin, was a WW2 hero, and local stockbroker and was awarded the Military Cross and was Chairman of the National Playing Fields Association.

(Friends of my late Father)

Trippear is the footballer.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 20:57]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:09 - Feb 8 with 3466 viewsColDale

I believe Trippier (the Spurs player) is the brother of Kelvin Lomax
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:56 - Feb 8 with 3412 viewsTVOS1907

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:09 - Feb 8 by ColDale

Whenever they voice over Alan Green on MotD, he sounds like he's commentating from inside a cupboard!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 22:01 - Feb 8 with 3409 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 21:09 - Feb 8 by ColDale

Perhaps something to do with the Man City connection?
Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 22:07 - Feb 8 with 3398 views1mark1

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:55 - Feb 8 by SuddenLad

Different spelling. Sir David Trippier was MP for the Rossendale Valley and was appointed Small Business Minister in Margaret Thatchers' cabinet. His wife Ruth is/was a Barrister.

Sir Davids' father, Austin, was a WW2 hero, and local stockbroker and was awarded the Military Cross and was Chairman of the National Playing Fields Association.

He used to be on Rochdale Council, as a councilor for the old Brimrod and Deeplish ward in the 70,s. , before becoming a MP in 1979 for Rossondale.

I think he was from Rochdale.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 22:27]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 00:14 - Feb 9 with 3323 viewsdingdangblue

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 20:55 - Feb 8 by SuddenLad

Who is Trippear ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Idiot BBC commentators or what? on 00:50 - Feb 9 with 3311 viewsRotherhamDale

Somebody was calling Dele Alli, 'Dela Alli' the other day. It's so infuriating.

'Chelsea really don't look like scoring... oh its a goal. Out of nothing!'

Possession with progression.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024