Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team 15:15 - Apr 13 with 13736 viewsClitheroeDale

Hi. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I found some pictures of Birch Hill Hospital team from the 1970's. My Dad Malcolm Whitworth played for the team and was a massive Dale fan.

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 21:44 - Apr 13 with 5185 viewsClitheroeDale

Thanks to roccydaleian, here are the names for the third (bottom) picture

Back Row Left - Right
Bob Smith, Mick Rowan, A Fielding, David Jackson, Andy Simmons

Middle Row Left - Right
Doug Holbrook, Graham Stowell, Tony Gibbons, Richard Verity, Jim Butterworth
Jeff Snee, Phil Sheperd, Vic Mosely

Front Row Left - Right
Raj Sutner, Tommy Hobson, Malcolm Whitworth (Dad), Dave Mellor, John Oakes
Mick Smith, Paul Guy, Steve O'Sullivan
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 21:53 - Apr 13 with 5155 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:12 - Apr 13 by Nigeriamark

Yep I think that's the one.

Jeff Dawson.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:11 - Apr 13 with 5114 viewsClitheroeDale

Thanks to roccydaleian. Here is another Birch Hill photo.

roccydaleian, Darren Whitworth, Timmy Hatton (I think), Les Greenwood (At the back - I think)

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:25 - Apr 13 with 5098 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:11 - Apr 13 by ClitheroeDale

roccydaleian, Darren Whitworth, Timmy Hatton (I think), Les Greenwood (At the back - I think)

Not in specific order here's some more names.
Stuart Cryer, Willie Reynolds, Robert Holt, Splodge, Dave Collinge, Tony Hogan, Noel Hogan,Keith Knowles.
NigeriaMark might know some i don't know.
Some bloody good pool players on that photo as well.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 22:45]
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:45 - Apr 13 with 5052 viewsTVOS1907

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:25 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Not in specific order here's some more names.
Stuart Cryer, Willie Reynolds, Robert Holt, Splodge, Dave Collinge, Tony Hogan, Noel Hogan,Keith Knowles.
NigeriaMark might know some i don't know.
Some bloody good pool players on that photo as well.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 22:45]

You look older on there than you do now!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:49 - Apr 13 with 5032 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:45 - Apr 13 by TVOS1907

You look older on there than you do now!

That's why i got rid of the tash
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:56 - Apr 13 with 5018 viewsTVOS1907

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:49 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

That's why i got rid of the tash

Is that Max Wall on the front row?

Or Mick Miller?

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:01 - Apr 13 with 5009 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:56 - Apr 13 by TVOS1907

Is that Max Wall on the front row?

Or Mick Miller?

Krusty the clown.... Real name Noel Hogan. His brother Chris goes to the Dale and sits in the Pearl St.
Login to get fewer ads

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:17 - Apr 13 with 5003 viewsTVOS1907

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:01 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Krusty the clown.... Real name Noel Hogan. His brother Chris goes to the Dale and sits in the Pearl St.

Ian Botham in the middle of the front row.

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:29 - Apr 13 with 4985 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:17 - Apr 13 by TVOS1907

Ian Botham in the middle of the front row.

Timmy Hatton. I knocked him out playing footy when he played for the Green Gate, clash of heads from a corner, he spent a couple of days in hospital with concussion.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 05:34 - Apr 14 with 4942 viewsTalkingSutty

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 23:29 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Timmy Hatton. I knocked him out playing footy when he played for the Green Gate, clash of heads from a corner, he spent a couple of days in hospital with concussion.

That doesn't surprise me one little bit

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:03 - Apr 14 with 4779 viewsseasidedale

I used to work with Tony Gibbons at the oldham mental health unit. We played birch hill several times in the mid late 70' in freindlies Tony play for us against them before being a regular for Birch, if memory serves Birch Hill never beat us,
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 10:14 - Apr 15 with 4647 viewsbatfink

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:11 - Apr 13 by ClitheroeDale

Dave Collinge is third from right back row
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 10:23 - Apr 15 with 4637 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 10:14 - Apr 15 by batfink

Dave Collinge is third from right back row

Aye, that's him! He still thinks he's Magnum....
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 11:49 - Apr 15 with 4599 viewsbatfink

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 10:23 - Apr 15 by roccydaleian

Aye, that's him! He still thinks he's Magnum....

Not seen him for a long time, used to work with him. He talked a manager into sending us to bicester for a couple of days and somehow negotiated beer money for us both, top bloke!
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 13:08 - Apr 17 with 4218 viewsbluevein64

Thanks for the pics Clitheroe - pic No 1 was 1971 - I joined that team shortly after that photo was taken - as a 16 year old,first training session, I remember as though it was yesterday being approached by No 12 (middle front row ) asking me what position I played when I told him left wing, his response "ho, s£$% that's me out of the team - the Keeper Dick V a Birchhill Doctor - No 11 Mick S Theatre Charge nurse at the infirmary - No 2 Raj B (i think that you may have a certain connection) a Mauritian Nurse - that team made up of Rochdale hospitals Medical staff - Office staff - Kitchen staff - No 8 I think Dave M was a Radiographer.
I only played 3 - 4 games then I went back to Broadwater (played in the same team as a Dale fan living Legend ) I was getting a bit "roughed up"during my last game No6 Dougie H complained about the treatment which I was receiving and was subsequently smacked in the mouth by a well known hard man/bully by the name of Danny M - I think that they did have history but that was pretty serious - am I correct in thinking that Malcolm W is no longer with us - Well, I've got to say (the main reason for my post) he was the nicest bloke one could ever wish to meet - Man's Man - Women 's Man - Every bodies Man Yes, battering ram type Centre Crash and it's true he was quicker to the bar than to the ball - Thanks for the memories Clitheroe.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 13:29 - Apr 17 with 4189 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 13:08 - Apr 17 by bluevein64

Thanks for the pics Clitheroe - pic No 1 was 1971 - I joined that team shortly after that photo was taken - as a 16 year old,first training session, I remember as though it was yesterday being approached by No 12 (middle front row ) asking me what position I played when I told him left wing, his response "ho, s£$% that's me out of the team - the Keeper Dick V a Birchhill Doctor - No 11 Mick S Theatre Charge nurse at the infirmary - No 2 Raj B (i think that you may have a certain connection) a Mauritian Nurse - that team made up of Rochdale hospitals Medical staff - Office staff - Kitchen staff - No 8 I think Dave M was a Radiographer.
I only played 3 - 4 games then I went back to Broadwater (played in the same team as a Dale fan living Legend ) I was getting a bit "roughed up"during my last game No6 Dougie H complained about the treatment which I was receiving and was subsequently smacked in the mouth by a well known hard man/bully by the name of Danny M - I think that they did have history but that was pretty serious - am I correct in thinking that Malcolm W is no longer with us - Well, I've got to say (the main reason for my post) he was the nicest bloke one could ever wish to meet - Man's Man - Women 's Man - Every bodies Man Yes, battering ram type Centre Crash and it's true he was quicker to the bar than to the ball - Thanks for the memories Clitheroe.

Thanks for the comments. Love to hear the old stories behind photo's like this.

My dad Malcolm passed away very suddenly, but it's been lovely to hear some of the comments on here about him.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 22:50 - Jan 15 with 3778 viewsthewolf

Wow..........memories that's for sure, played with all those guys in their first year if memory serves me, I am the keeper, second photo, used to stand in for 'The Doctor' (Dick) when he couldn't play.
I remember your dad MW and I think Dougie drop me to the bench because I was to lazy............they were right.
The team had some great players and some 'hard men' cant recall all the names but back row L-R Doug Holbrook ? ? me Dave Mellor Kim... Malcolm Whitworth front row Mike Smith ? Graeme Stowell ? Tommy Hobson
Think I have the names right
Missed a couple of years with car accident then came back in goal full time, think the Doc had finished then
Great fun
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 02:23 - Jan 16 with 3711 viewsPeaky

I played for this team but was in the 90s. Remember we had to change in the boiler room under the nursing quarters. It had a huge stinking bog of water and you had to walk on wood crates to keep out of it.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 2:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024