Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill to Blackburn? 12:28 - May 8 with 92360 viewsMoonyDale

This rumour just won't go away, just had a text from someone saying as much and the betting has Hilly at 5/1 second fave....Still think it's doubtful but you never know....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Hill to Blackburn? on 09:52 - May 25 with 4433 viewsfitzochris

Hill to Blackburn? on 09:21 - May 25 by nordenblue

Most managers at any professional club are on a very good wage and most generally earn a hell of a lot more than joe public,it's not just the top end.
There'll be managers in the conference earning ridiculous sums of money for not an awful lot too I'd bet

What do you mean by "for not an awful lot"?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hill to Blackburn? on 10:32 - May 25 with 4345 viewsnordenblue

Hill to Blackburn? on 09:52 - May 25 by fitzochris

What do you mean by "for not an awful lot"?

Not an awful lot of work!!
Hill to Blackburn? on 10:43 - May 25 with 4318 viewsfitzochris

I think that’s a bit unfair. Football managers I have met have been extremely hard working, and many other tales I’ve been told by people in the game back this up.

Most work very long days that go beyond a single or double training session. They deal with a ton of admin stuff we never hear about and their evenings can be taken up by watching games elsewhere. Some, depending on where they live, don’t even go home every night and, ergo, don’t see a lot of their families.

Yes, there will always be those whose heart isn’t in it (Alan Buckley for us springs to mind), but most do an incredible amount of work. Whether that equates to success or not is not the issue — most football managers do work very hard.

I know I sound like I’m pitching for a job with the LMA or something, but I do think a lot of people who work in football get unfairly knocked at times (FIFA aside).

Hill to Blackburn? on 10:54 - May 25 with 4280 viewsnordenblue

Hill to Blackburn? on 10:43 - May 25 by fitzochris

I think that’s a bit unfair. Football managers I have met have been extremely hard working, and many other tales I’ve been told by people in the game back this up.

Most work very long days that go beyond a single or double training session. They deal with a ton of admin stuff we never hear about and their evenings can be taken up by watching games elsewhere. Some, depending on where they live, don’t even go home every night and, ergo, don’t see a lot of their families.

Yes, there will always be those whose heart isn’t in it (Alan Buckley for us springs to mind), but most do an incredible amount of work. Whether that equates to success or not is not the issue — most football managers do work very hard.

I know I sound like I’m pitching for a job with the LMA or something, but I do think a lot of people who work in football get unfairly knocked at times (FIFA aside).

Depends what your definition of "hard work" is,if it's long hours perhaps so but let's not kid ourselves here,they are in a profession where they all get no end of perks,jobs for the boys and are treated very well and in most cases rewarded very well too.

For all the so called hardship they have to face it's no coincidence once they find their feet in a job they stick with it for a long long time,it's definitely not my description of hard work.
Hill to Blackburn? on 11:20 - May 25 with 4221 viewspioneer

Hill to Blackburn? on 09:04 - May 25 by fitzochris

"Of course if poor performance (of the players of course) was to qualify as due cause there would be no need for any compensation. They would be deemed to have not fulfilled the terms of the contract and be sacked without the need for any compo."

But if that was the case, nobody would take a job in management because not every team can win a title or a trophy every season. Somebody has to "fail ". There has to be some trade-off to get a manager to take on a job in the first place.

As for TS's point about managers as low down as League Two not being on the breadline, this may be the case for a lot of them, but not all.

It's worse in other parts of Britain.

I was reading an interview with a chap called David Farrell not too long ago. He spent his career, for the most part, as a part-time footballer in the lower Scottish leagues.

When he retired, he was given the chance to be Alex Rae's assistant manager at Dundee, which meant giving up his other job as a coach at a local college. He gave up a secure job to get back into football (his choice, I know). Regardless, he was quite reliant on the Dundee income (£25,000 per year). He signed a one-year rolling contract, which, he says, meant for every day he was in employment his contract had a year left to run. Tellingly, he also said that meant he would get a year's pay-out should the worst happen.

When he and Rae were given their cards, Farrell was shafted by Dundee and didn't get what he was owed. He ended up driving a taxi for a living to make ends meet.

So, while at the top end of management it may be a case of a desire to work over a need, it's not true of football as a whole.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 9:15]

I would expect the LMA would have been able to support a legal action in such a case, if he was a member and if it covers scotland. Clubs cannot simply shaft employees when they have contracts. Even without LMA support a good employment lawyer would have been able to get the contracted compensation plus costs if the club simply ignored the contract.
Hill to Blackburn? on 13:06 - May 25 with 4048 viewsTalkingSutty

Hill to Blackburn? on 08:56 - May 25 by D_Alien

That's partly why I (and yourself?) can't be doing with the "hero-worshipping" aspect of supporters. I've no issue with the money that's being paid - it's a simple rule of economics, whatever people think of it - but it's bloody good money by any standards.

What isn't palatable is the arse-licking that some fans engage in for people who may be able to kick a football better than most, or put together a group of lads so they can play together consistently well enough to attract good salaries. Meanwhile, in the real world, there are many many people quietly going about their business making a difference to people's lives - most of them don't need or seek publicity, but they're experts at what they do and deserve every penny they earn.

Many people on this messageboard may have shaken their heads at posts I've made regarding players who severely let down themselves, their team mates and the fans by their inability to control themselves on a football pitch. That's where I'm coming from. Such actions by individuals in any other professional capacity would have them out the door in short order, irrespective of their ability at doing the job. Why should footballers be judged by any different criteria?

Following football, and the Dale, is a brilliant form of escapism. When we're successful there's a natural high, and it's something we as Dale fans appreciate more than most. But let's not fool ourselves that the people involved in the sport are any better than they should be. They make a lot of money out of it, and this debate about compensation shows that many get paid for failure too. Yep, so do others such as bankers and politicians - but look at how they're viewed by the general public!

I couldn't have put it any better myself. I can understand the young kids getting all starry eyed ( Hero worshipping) because they don't know any better but when grown adults are at it,that's what makes me laugh.

I was at the awards evening and watched a certain young player signing autographs for half a dozen kids, not once did he speak a word or even make eye contact with the kids,it was like they were an irrelevance. I felt like going over and calling him an ignorant b*****d (I'd had a few). They aren't all up their own arses though, Calvin Andrew being a perfect example of how to conduct himself, he oozes class and would be the person who I would happily have a chat with.

Hilly and the players should be thankful to be at the Club and earning the wages that they do, they aren't working for nothing. The notion that they are all doing us a favour and we should be grateful is completely wrong but it's one that's also peddled by some supporters as well as some within the Club.

Its like the Clubs a rubbing rag and not deserving of any respect and individuals like the manager are more important. Perhaps some fans should ditch following a Football Club and just support a manager, following him around from one Club to the next....Hero Worshipping. I get it that Hillys been brilliant for us and when he leaves we could have a downturn in fortunes but so what, would it make any difference when it comes to supporting your Club?

When Hilly does move on i really fear for the welfare of some supporters, they might need counselling. I detected a change in John Coleman last week, he's mellowed, just saying.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 13:27]
Hill to Blackburn? on 13:26 - May 25 with 3971 viewsroccydaleian

Hill to Blackburn? on 13:06 - May 25 by TalkingSutty

I couldn't have put it any better myself. I can understand the young kids getting all starry eyed ( Hero worshipping) because they don't know any better but when grown adults are at it,that's what makes me laugh.

I was at the awards evening and watched a certain young player signing autographs for half a dozen kids, not once did he speak a word or even make eye contact with the kids,it was like they were an irrelevance. I felt like going over and calling him an ignorant b*****d (I'd had a few). They aren't all up their own arses though, Calvin Andrew being a perfect example of how to conduct himself, he oozes class and would be the person who I would happily have a chat with.

Hilly and the players should be thankful to be at the Club and earning the wages that they do, they aren't working for nothing. The notion that they are all doing us a favour and we should be grateful is completely wrong but it's one that's also peddled by some supporters as well as some within the Club.

Its like the Clubs a rubbing rag and not deserving of any respect and individuals like the manager are more important. Perhaps some fans should ditch following a Football Club and just support a manager, following him around from one Club to the next....Hero Worshipping. I get it that Hillys been brilliant for us and when he leaves we could have a downturn in fortunes but so what, would it make any difference when it comes to supporting your Club?

When Hilly does move on i really fear for the welfare of some supporters, they might need counselling. I detected a change in John Coleman last week, he's mellowed, just saying.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 13:27]

Them pesky tweeters are the worst.
Hill to Blackburn? on 13:29 - May 25 with 3962 viewsTalkingSutty

Hill to Blackburn? on 13:26 - May 25 by roccydaleian

Them pesky tweeters are the worst.

No groundbait required, that didn't take long
Login to get fewer ads

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:38 - May 26 with 3658 viewsdalestats

Russell Slade 8/13 fav to take over at Charlton (Hill 8/1)

Alan Stubbs & Nigel Adkins joint favorites 4/1 at Bolton

Neil Warnock 11/8 fav for Blackburn (Hill 14/1)

Neil Warnock 6/4 fav for Forest

Dave Jones 1/2 fav for Blackpool

Tony Mowbray 5/4 fav for Rotherham (Hill 25/1)

Poll: Remain in the eu

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:45 - May 26 with 3612 viewsYouTubeDale

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:38 - May 26 by dalestats

Russell Slade 8/13 fav to take over at Charlton (Hill 8/1)

Alan Stubbs & Nigel Adkins joint favorites 4/1 at Bolton

Neil Warnock 11/8 fav for Blackburn (Hill 14/1)

Neil Warnock 6/4 fav for Forest

Dave Jones 1/2 fav for Blackpool

Tony Mowbray 5/4 fav for Rotherham (Hill 25/1)

Hill seems to be making all the right noises with respect to preseason. But we all know that could change in an instant. I do get a good vibe that he is staying though.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:54 - May 26 with 3588 viewsSuddenLad

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:45 - May 26 by YouTubeDale

Hill seems to be making all the right noises with respect to preseason. But we all know that could change in an instant. I do get a good vibe that he is staying though.

I think Josh signing a 2 year deal today may have been influened by KH being here for a while yet.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hill to Blackburn? on 21:00 - May 26 with 3569 viewsTalkingSutty

I think he likes it at Rochdale but at some stage a offer will come along that he can't turn down, he deserves that.

His personality can have you climbing walls at times but his ability to manage football teams on a budget stands up to scrutiny.

I like the fact that the relationship between Hilly and the Dale fans isnt a big 'love in', the odd fall out stimulates the relationship and its better than fawning over each other, that gets a bit sickly.
Hill to Blackburn? on 21:02 - May 26 with 3555 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:45 - May 26 by YouTubeDale

I hope Hilly wants to be a modern day Dario Gradi.

I hope Hilly knows that if he needs to go and see his Dad, his Dale family will support him, no questions asked.

I really hope that Hilly feels appreciated, he's p!ssed me off so many times, as has my Mrs, but god I love them both more than ever.

Looking forward to a new erection at Spotland - The Keith Hill Stand.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Hill to Blackburn? on 21:04 - May 26 with 3537 viewsTVOS1907

Hill to Blackburn? on 21:02 - May 26 by SteTsGoldenBoot

I hope Hilly wants to be a modern day Dario Gradi.

I hope Hilly knows that if he needs to go and see his Dad, his Dale family will support him, no questions asked.

I really hope that Hilly feels appreciated, he's p!ssed me off so many times, as has my Mrs, but god I love them both more than ever.

Looking forward to a new erection at Spotland - The Keith Hill Stand.

They should name one of the ends at Accrington after Jimmy Bell.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hill to Blackburn? on 12:57 - May 27 with 3239 viewsfitzochris

Reading have sacked Brian McDermott.

And they're apparently considering Jaap Stam to take over!
[Post edited 27 May 2016 12:59]

Hill to Blackburn? on 13:28 - May 27 with 3163 viewsroccydaleian

Hill to Blackburn? on 12:57 - May 27 by fitzochris

Reading have sacked Brian McDermott.

And they're apparently considering Jaap Stam to take over!
[Post edited 27 May 2016 12:59]

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:49 - May 28 with 2913 viewsmacro

Hill ruled out of the running for Blackburn job according to Sky

Russell Slade is wanted by managerless duo Blackburn Rovers and Charlton Athletic, reports the Lancashire Telegraph.

The paper says the former Cardiff City boss has already had an interview for the Ewood Park gig, although there is also interest for his services from League One Charlton.

Slade isn't the only candidate in the running to succeed Paul Lambert at Rovers, as Manchester United U21 manager Warren Joyce has also had talks with Blackburn's Indian owners the Venky's.

But the Lancashire Telegraph are ruling out a host of other names previously linked with the job, including Alan Stubbs, Craig Hignett, Gareth Ainsworth, Neil Redfearn, Billy Davies and Keith Hill.
Hill to Blackburn? on 13:08 - May 30 with 2330 views1907

Owen Coyle now odds on favourite
Hill to Blackburn? on 14:12 - May 30 with 2238 viewsTVOS1907

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:49 - May 28 by macro

Hill ruled out of the running for Blackburn job according to Sky

Russell Slade is wanted by managerless duo Blackburn Rovers and Charlton Athletic, reports the Lancashire Telegraph.

The paper says the former Cardiff City boss has already had an interview for the Ewood Park gig, although there is also interest for his services from League One Charlton.

Slade isn't the only candidate in the running to succeed Paul Lambert at Rovers, as Manchester United U21 manager Warren Joyce has also had talks with Blackburn's Indian owners the Venky's.

But the Lancashire Telegraph are ruling out a host of other names previously linked with the job, including Alan Stubbs, Craig Hignett, Gareth Ainsworth, Neil Redfearn, Billy Davies and Keith Hill.

Where's dalestats with all this info when you need him?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hill to Blackburn? on 14:27 - May 30 with 2210 viewsmacro

Hill to Blackburn? on 14:12 - May 30 by TVOS1907

Where's dalestats with all this info when you need him?

Must be having a celebratory long weekend
Hill to Blackburn? on 19:23 - May 30 with 1902 viewsfitzochris

Hibs give Rotherham permission to speak to Alan Stubbs. Why he'd consider leaving Hibs for there is a mystery.

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:32 - May 30 with 1871 viewsSuddenLad

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:23 - May 30 by fitzochris

Hibs give Rotherham permission to speak to Alan Stubbs. Why he'd consider leaving Hibs for there is a mystery.

Agreed. Can't see the attraction of that job - to him anyway. Unless he simply sees it as a route back into English management.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:40 - May 30 with 1852 viewsAtThePeake

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:23 - May 30 by fitzochris

Fitzo you might be able to help me here. Why is Stubbs being chased by clubs at all?

I know they've won the cup but surely the brief for the last two seasons must've been promotion and he's failed both times. Why do clubs want him?

Tangled up in blue.

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:03 - May 30 with 1809 viewsfitzochris

Hill to Blackburn? on 19:40 - May 30 by AtThePeake

Fitzo you might be able to help me here. Why is Stubbs being chased by clubs at all?

I know they've won the cup but surely the brief for the last two seasons must've been promotion and he's failed both times. Why do clubs want him?

Yep, he has, for all intents and purposes, failed to meet his brief for the past two seasons. There were murmurs that the Scottish Cup win saved his job. They are only murmurs though.

The players like him and, in football circles up here, the general consensus is that he is a good coach. That said, to be responsible for a team that has given rise to the term "They've Hibsed it", referring to a team conceding in the last minute, isn't great.

In the league, they just couldn't score enough goals, even though they had about 20-30 shots most games. Hearts and Rangers worked out how to break teams down in that division but Hibs struggled to finish games off and have that knack of losing late goals... mostly to Falkirk.

So it's a bit of both to blame for me, Stubbs and the players.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 20:05]

Hill to Blackburn? on 20:49 - May 30 with 1705 viewsColDale

I hate seeing this thread bumped back to the top
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024