Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Euro squad announced 11:38 - May 16 with 8560 viewsShun

About halfway down this link:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36300164

I would've perhaps taken Defoe instead of Sturridge but other than that it looks ok. Only three central defenders though, unless Walker can play there too.
England Euro squad announced on 11:39 - May 16 with 5042 viewsD_Alien

Just beat me to it Shun!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England Euro squad announced on 11:49 - May 16 with 4994 viewsScunnydale

Central defence is looking weak. Plus picking Delph, Henderson and (presumably) Wilshere for the def mid role is odd, considering they've been crocked recently or have hardly played this season. I understand the reasons they were picked, I just hope they're healthy.

Also, Townsend is an odd choice, but perhaps that's just me. He has flashes of being a decent player, but there's just something about him I find a bit...poor.
England Euro squad announced on 11:49 - May 16 with 4993 viewsShun

Quick thumbs!

I'm also surprised to see Wilshere on there. Somebody like Noble might've been a better call.
England Euro squad announced on 11:51 - May 16 with 4987 viewslurker

When Sturridge is fit he is a dangerous player.
That squad has as good quality and depth at midfield and up front as I have seen for a while. Unfortunately, our defence is the weak point and will be our downfall unless Hart has a blinder in goal!
England Euro squad announced on 12:50 - May 16 with 4830 viewsboromat

For me Defoe should be there instead of Rashford and Noble instead of Wilshere but there's no massive surprises. Feel a little sorry for Walcott. I'm not sure Sterling has done well enough this season to be in the squad. Townsend is a funny one form has come good recently and he's been very good in an England shirt.

We shall see.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

England Euro squad announced on 13:07 - May 16 with 4789 viewsolympicdale

I am very surprised Defoe didn't make it, always gets you goals, proven goalscorer and experienced in international football. There was talk of Andy Carroll getting a call up, without him or Peter Crouch, who are England going to hoof it up to?! has Roy even thought of this! what's sick note Wilshere doing there, wouldn't be surprised to see him cut for the 23 squad.

Life is a game of fate.

England Euro squad announced on 13:22 - May 16 with 4747 viewsmacro

I’d take a guess that Henderson, Wilshere have to prove fitness or face being cut and Rashford will be cut.

Fabian Delph though!

Not surprised that Andy Carroll didn’t make the squad. Noble just doesn’t impress woy it seems
England Euro squad announced on 13:35 - May 16 with 4717 viewsdingdangblue

England Euro squad announced on 12:50 - May 16 by boromat

For me Defoe should be there instead of Rashford and Noble instead of Wilshere but there's no massive surprises. Feel a little sorry for Walcott. I'm not sure Sterling has done well enough this season to be in the squad. Townsend is a funny one form has come good recently and he's been very good in an England shirt.

We shall see.

Cant see Rashford making the final 23 so its immaterial whether its him or Defoe or Carroll. The 4 forwards will be Kane,Vardy,Rooney,Sturridge. With Kane being the best number 9 we have it will be interesting to see what he does with Rooney and Vardy - I imagine Vardy will play on the left where Welbeck would have started - Dele Alli has to start central so that means Rooney on the right if Roy is going to play 2 holding midfielders ( Dier and Wilshere ).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

England Euro squad announced on 13:49 - May 16 with 4683 viewsBirchy915

http://bbc.in/1VYoNmQ

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

England Euro squad announced on 14:32 - May 16 with 4602 viewsChaffRAFC

Delph in particular should be absolutely nowhere near the bloody squad. Noble would have been a better option and same for Wilshere. Pretty much the most overrated midfielder in the Premiership, apart from maybe Henderson. A better option in my view would have been someone like Lingard or Ward-Prowse.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

England Euro squad announced on 14:40 - May 16 with 4579 viewsRotherhamDale

Eric Dier can drop in to play centre back if needs be, so he adds to the defensive number.

Roy has stuck with the players that helped us to qualify so I'm a bit surprised that people are surprised with the Delph/Wilshere inclusions. He was never going to pick a Mark Noble or an Antonio instead of his favourites.

Possession with progression.

England Euro squad announced on 14:49 - May 16 with 4559 viewsdingdangblue

http://bbc.in/1TVvT8b

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

England Euro squad announced on 15:08 - May 16 with 4511 viewsmacro

I’m not surprised Delph has been selected, I just don’t think he’s good enough to play for England
England Euro squad announced on 16:41 - May 16 with 4392 viewsfunkkk

Wilshere & Rooney were always going to walk straight back in to the squad after playing a few games towards the end of the season. My issue would be more with them automatically starting v Russia than their inclusion in the squad.

Far too soon for Rashford and Defoe is obviously being punished for his MLS sabbatical. He has more goals than Sturridge and Rashford combined playing for a team that was nearly relegated!

I'd also go for Noble or Antonio for Delph (another of Roy's boys).
England Euro squad announced on 17:28 - May 16 with 4329 viewsAtThePeake

England Euro squad announced on 16:41 - May 16 by funkkk

Wilshere & Rooney were always going to walk straight back in to the squad after playing a few games towards the end of the season. My issue would be more with them automatically starting v Russia than their inclusion in the squad.

Far too soon for Rashford and Defoe is obviously being punished for his MLS sabbatical. He has more goals than Sturridge and Rashford combined playing for a team that was nearly relegated!

I'd also go for Noble or Antonio for Delph (another of Roy's boys).

Yeah - Sturridge and Rashford have both played far fewer games than Defoe though. For me they're both better players and offer much more than Defoe. I understand Defoe's goal record is excellent but having watched him most weeks whilst he was at Spurs it's clear to see he offers very little off the ball and in terms of link up play. I know goals are what strikers are judged on but the strikers we have in the squad all have very good goals to game ratios and all offer a lot more after that than Defoe, in my opinion.

Rashford won't be going anyway. He's there to pick up some experience during the friendlies and barring any injuries he'll be one of the three that are cut.

Dier's ability to cover at both RB and CB gives Roy the option to add another midfield/attacking option. I do hope he isn't forced deeper due to injuries though as I think he's the defensive midfield enforcer we've been missing for years now. Arguably Tottenham's player of the season, does the dirty work so well and rarely loses the ball.

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 17:55 - May 16 with 4292 viewsfunkkk

England Euro squad announced on 17:28 - May 16 by AtThePeake

Yeah - Sturridge and Rashford have both played far fewer games than Defoe though. For me they're both better players and offer much more than Defoe. I understand Defoe's goal record is excellent but having watched him most weeks whilst he was at Spurs it's clear to see he offers very little off the ball and in terms of link up play. I know goals are what strikers are judged on but the strikers we have in the squad all have very good goals to game ratios and all offer a lot more after that than Defoe, in my opinion.

Rashford won't be going anyway. He's there to pick up some experience during the friendlies and barring any injuries he'll be one of the three that are cut.

Dier's ability to cover at both RB and CB gives Roy the option to add another midfield/attacking option. I do hope he isn't forced deeper due to injuries though as I think he's the defensive midfield enforcer we've been missing for years now. Arguably Tottenham's player of the season, does the dirty work so well and rarely loses the ball.

Defoe's minutes per goal record is better than Rashford's, he has over 50 caps for England and has shown he can score goals on the biggest stages. As he wouldn't be starting for England what he would offer other than goals doesn't concern me.

I suspect you are right and Rashford will be dropped from the squad but I still feel Defoe would have been a useful player to have in reserve if we are chasing a game.
England Euro squad announced on 18:16 - May 16 with 4254 viewsSaxonDale

England Euro squad announced on 14:32 - May 16 by ChaffRAFC

Delph in particular should be absolutely nowhere near the bloody squad. Noble would have been a better option and same for Wilshere. Pretty much the most overrated midfielder in the Premiership, apart from maybe Henderson. A better option in my view would have been someone like Lingard or Ward-Prowse.

For the job that Delph will be doing (4/5 choice midfielder IMO) I think it's a sound choice to include him. Can do a job when called upon as shown in the qualifiers and is regarded as a good player to have in the dressing room which for me is a major factor when being part of a squad for potentially over a month. He also knows what the England set up is about so will be able to hit the ground running.

Wilshere is a gamble as there will be question marks over his fitness but that's what the friendlies are for. His career has stalled but last season he was starting to find a bit of rhythm to his play and on his day I'd say he's a cut above the other players who do a similar role.

I really think Henderson has upped his game over the last few years and on his day is a very good footballer, does a lot of dirty work but has also developed his work on the ball well (Liverpool's regular set piece taker now) Whether he will be fit again we'll have to see but I've no qualms with Roy putting him in the squad for the friendlies as I think when fit he'll provide real competition for a first team place. Also vice captain in the squad so another good'en to have in the dressing room.

I don't get why people are thinking we've really missed a trick by not taking Noble, would he get into anyone's first XI? I can't really see the point in taking a 29 year old whose had very little international experience when he wouldn't be getting anywhere near the pitch unless for an injury crisis.

Ward-Prowse I've not really kept an eye on but the lack of support for him getting a place on the Southampton forum is rather telling, Lingard I think is your Utd side coming out.
England Euro squad announced on 18:16 - May 16 with 4253 viewsJimmyRustler

England Euro squad announced on 17:55 - May 16 by funkkk

Defoe's minutes per goal record is better than Rashford's, he has over 50 caps for England and has shown he can score goals on the biggest stages. As he wouldn't be starting for England what he would offer other than goals doesn't concern me.

I suspect you are right and Rashford will be dropped from the squad but I still feel Defoe would have been a useful player to have in reserve if we are chasing a game.

Don't mind us taking Sturridge cause he's a proven goalscorer when fit.

Rashford's inclusion is a joke, whether he's cut from the squad or not.

The four strikers should be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Defoe. Put Rooney down as a midfielder and don't let him anywhere near the ST slot.

The fact that Defoe hasn't been picked is mindboggling to me and tbh, the one no one seems to be batting an eyelid at is Stones' inclusion. The lad's confidence literally could not be any lower. Take him out of the spotlight and give him the summer off.

Delph is laughable.

Townsend is laughable.

Wilshere is a joke. Don't care how well he's played for his MOM awards against San Marino and the like, he's played about 30 seconds more Premier League football than I've done this season.
England Euro squad announced on 18:27 - May 16 with 4231 viewsAtThePeake

England Euro squad announced on 18:16 - May 16 by JimmyRustler

Don't mind us taking Sturridge cause he's a proven goalscorer when fit.

Rashford's inclusion is a joke, whether he's cut from the squad or not.

The four strikers should be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Defoe. Put Rooney down as a midfielder and don't let him anywhere near the ST slot.

The fact that Defoe hasn't been picked is mindboggling to me and tbh, the one no one seems to be batting an eyelid at is Stones' inclusion. The lad's confidence literally could not be any lower. Take him out of the spotlight and give him the summer off.

Delph is laughable.

Townsend is laughable.

Wilshere is a joke. Don't care how well he's played for his MOM awards against San Marino and the like, he's played about 30 seconds more Premier League football than I've done this season.

You've just said 5/6 players inclusion's are laughable or a joke.

Can you offer a viable alternative for each of them?

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 19:04 - May 16 with 4186 viewsnordenblue

England Euro squad announced on 18:27 - May 16 by AtThePeake

Please don't confuse matters...
England Euro squad announced on 19:20 - May 16 with 4158 viewsdingdangblue

Joe Bunney and Calvin Andrew.

England Euro squad announced on 22:55 - May 16 with 3977 viewsJimmyRustler

Defoe over Rashford.

Noble over Delph.

Zaha/Walcott or even Lennon over Townsend.

Carrick over Wilshere.

Jagielka over Stones (would even prefer Chambers)

Anymore questions?
England Euro squad announced on 00:37 - May 17 with 3923 viewsShun

England Euro squad announced on 14:32 - May 16 by ChaffRAFC

I've seen Lingard a number of times and I don't see anything that suggests he'll develop into a international level player.
England Euro squad announced on 00:48 - May 17 with 3918 viewsRalphs12

England Euro squad announced on 22:55 - May 16 by JimmyRustler

Defoe over Rashford.

Noble over Delph.

Zaha/Walcott or even Lennon over Townsend.

Carrick over Wilshere.

Jagielka over Stones (would even prefer Chambers)

Anymore questions?

Brilliant
England Euro squad announced on 08:33 - May 17 with 3802 viewsMHall963

Woy must have something against west ham! I would personally have picked cresswell over bertrand, noble over delph every day of the week, and yes antonio over maybe milner or barkley, as we have plenty of cover in the sttacking midfield role but little out wide. Townsend should stay for this reason.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024