Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Euro squad announced 11:38 - May 16 with 8445 viewsShun

About halfway down this link:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36300164

I would've perhaps taken Defoe instead of Sturridge but other than that it looks ok. Only three central defenders though, unless Walker can play there too.
England Euro squad announced on 09:05 - May 17 with 1847 viewsAtThePeake

England Euro squad announced on 22:55 - May 16 by JimmyRustler

Defoe over Rashford.

Noble over Delph.

Zaha/Walcott or even Lennon over Townsend.

Carrick over Wilshere.

Jagielka over Stones (would even prefer Chambers)

Anymore questions?

Rashford has been included in the squad so that he can play in the friendlies and gain some experience with the first team squad. Roy pretty much confirmed this in his interview yesterday, claiming that it would be 'very hard' for him to make the 23, covering himself in case anyone picks up an injury or he goes on to score a hat-trick against Australia. What would be the point of giving Defoe time with the squad if he's not going to be in the 23?

As for the rest, I think you've given fairly solid alternatives, but to claim the inclusion of some of those players as 'a joke' is ever so slightly far-fetched.

Wilshere is, in most people's opinion, our most gifted midfielder. He might not have played much this season, but he has far more ability and mobility than someone like Carrick. In terms of Townsend and Delph, Roy knows he can trust that they will be a positive influence in the squad as they've been included in recent qualifiers and friendlies (and performed well, too).

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 09:23 - May 17 with 1823 viewsParkinsGimp

Cant believe Delph infront of Noble, I would of liked Cresswell ( my West Ham bias) given a chance at left back as well. Not keen on Henderson and with him and Wilshire both injured or not match fit it does seem a bit silly.
Our centre halves look well dodgy but tbh I cant see anywhere to improve them!
Think Townsend has a chance to shine and can produce it when required.
Think Rooney will be a spare part but will take up a valuable position on the pitch. Hope he has a good tournament again though. Andy Carroll as an alternative option may have been considered but lets see what transpires in next few weeks.
England Euro squad announced on 09:37 - May 17 with 1800 viewsD_Alien

England Euro squad announced on 09:05 - May 17 by AtThePeake

Rashford has been included in the squad so that he can play in the friendlies and gain some experience with the first team squad. Roy pretty much confirmed this in his interview yesterday, claiming that it would be 'very hard' for him to make the 23, covering himself in case anyone picks up an injury or he goes on to score a hat-trick against Australia. What would be the point of giving Defoe time with the squad if he's not going to be in the 23?

As for the rest, I think you've given fairly solid alternatives, but to claim the inclusion of some of those players as 'a joke' is ever so slightly far-fetched.

Wilshere is, in most people's opinion, our most gifted midfielder. He might not have played much this season, but he has far more ability and mobility than someone like Carrick. In terms of Townsend and Delph, Roy knows he can trust that they will be a positive influence in the squad as they've been included in recent qualifiers and friendlies (and performed well, too).

And that's pretty much the point.

The squad is the culmination of a process Hodgson set in train since he took over, using friendlies and then qualifying games to sift through a group of players who would arrive at a tournament comfortable with their roles and with their team-mates. For that to work, you don't just discard players because someone else has had a good season; that would be sending out completely the wrong message to those lads who've played their way into the squad over a period of time.

Rashford has been included as one for the future, to set the ball rolling in the process of acclimatisation at international level. He's showing the range of skills needed to succeed, not just scoring goals, but able to create them and play for his team-mates. It's a question of being international class, not just a good, effective premier league player. If Noble (for instance) had been good enough for the top level he'd have made his mark several years ago. Others such as JJ Shelvey have been tried and found wanting. Townsend has already made waves at international level. Defoe hasn't got the all-round skills required at the top level, hence why he was discarded by Spurs and doesn't always start for Sunderland.

We'll all have our favourites and opinions, but there's the underlying principles which someone in Hodgson's position has to set out and follow through with. He also seems to consult widely within the game, seeking opinions from club managers and others, before taking responsibility for the decisions which is exactly what you'd want.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England Euro squad announced on 09:58 - May 17 with 1779 viewsdingdangblue

England Euro squad announced on 09:37 - May 17 by D_Alien

And that's pretty much the point.

The squad is the culmination of a process Hodgson set in train since he took over, using friendlies and then qualifying games to sift through a group of players who would arrive at a tournament comfortable with their roles and with their team-mates. For that to work, you don't just discard players because someone else has had a good season; that would be sending out completely the wrong message to those lads who've played their way into the squad over a period of time.

Rashford has been included as one for the future, to set the ball rolling in the process of acclimatisation at international level. He's showing the range of skills needed to succeed, not just scoring goals, but able to create them and play for his team-mates. It's a question of being international class, not just a good, effective premier league player. If Noble (for instance) had been good enough for the top level he'd have made his mark several years ago. Others such as JJ Shelvey have been tried and found wanting. Townsend has already made waves at international level. Defoe hasn't got the all-round skills required at the top level, hence why he was discarded by Spurs and doesn't always start for Sunderland.

We'll all have our favourites and opinions, but there's the underlying principles which someone in Hodgson's position has to set out and follow through with. He also seems to consult widely within the game, seeking opinions from club managers and others, before taking responsibility for the decisions which is exactly what you'd want.

Collymore was making this point last night on the radio. Hodgson is a very loyal manager and has always picked players who havent let him down (in his opinion). Thats why the likes of Townsend, Welbeck, Milner consistently get picked even when the public outcry is to ditch them for the current 'form' player. Obviously some players are playing so well and it gives him no choice ( Vardy, Drinkwater ). He compared it to someone in a normal job who does their job very well but has to have time off for any reason - if you came back to work you wouldnt expect your boss to sack you off for the the new person who's been there in your absence.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England Euro squad announced on 10:04 - May 17 with 1776 viewsAtThePeake

England Euro squad announced on 09:58 - May 17 by dingdangblue

Collymore was making this point last night on the radio. Hodgson is a very loyal manager and has always picked players who havent let him down (in his opinion). Thats why the likes of Townsend, Welbeck, Milner consistently get picked even when the public outcry is to ditch them for the current 'form' player. Obviously some players are playing so well and it gives him no choice ( Vardy, Drinkwater ). He compared it to someone in a normal job who does their job very well but has to have time off for any reason - if you came back to work you wouldnt expect your boss to sack you off for the the new person who's been there in your absence.

Unless the new person is Dele Alli, in which case you'd completely understand

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 10:11 - May 17 with 1762 viewsdingdangblue

England Euro squad announced on 10:04 - May 17 by AtThePeake

Unless the new person is Dele Alli, in which case you'd completely understand

Yes Dele Alli looks a phenomenal prospect - could do a Gazza this tournament like in Italia 90. He really has taken to Premier League / International football like he's been playing it all his life - not his 1st season!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

England Euro squad announced on 10:38 - May 17 with 1742 viewselectricblue

I would like to have seen Carroll n Defoe in that squad...
Carroll for his physical ability and Defoe as a goal scorer...

As for whiltshire n Delph being choosen is an insult to players like noble......

I cant see england getting out of the group stages tbh.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

England Euro squad announced on 10:46 - May 17 with 1737 viewsfitzochris

England Euro squad announced on 10:38 - May 17 by electricblue

As for whiltshire n Delph being choosen is an insult to players like noble......

Seriously?

We have one of the strongest looking forward lines and midfields in as long a time as I can remember. We also have very good full backs. Our only true weak areas, if you can call it that, is at centre back and reserve goalkeeper.

If we didn’t get out of the group it would be a travesty. Fortunately, it’s one I don’t see happening.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

England Euro squad announced on 11:13 - May 17 with 1709 viewsdingdangblue

What's Geoff Hurst upto these days?

Seriously - there is a reason Noble hasn't been picked for England in his whole career and Wilshere has been picked by every England manager when fit. Wilshere really is , on his day, a brilliant player with everything you want from a midfielder, good engine, great touch, great vision, scores goals, and he's done this in the Champions League against the likes of Barca and Bayern - world class really. Noble is a good player but he's not on the same page.

England Euro squad announced on 11:31 - May 17 with 1680 viewsAtThePeake

England Euro squad announced on 11:13 - May 17 by dingdangblue

What's Geoff Hurst upto these days?

Seriously - there is a reason Noble hasn't been picked for England in his whole career and Wilshere has been picked by every England manager when fit. Wilshere really is , on his day, a brilliant player with everything you want from a midfielder, good engine, great touch, great vision, scores goals, and he's done this in the Champions League against the likes of Barca and Bayern - world class really. Noble is a good player but he's not on the same page.

Noble is fine, but his workrate is his best quality. On the ball he's very average and pales in insignificance next to a Wilshere.

I honestly don't think he's any better than a Cattermole for example, but Cattermole has always been surrounded by pretty poor players at Sunderland, whereas Noble has been surrounded by far better ones recently at West Ham.

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 12:01 - May 17 with 1647 viewsnordenblue

I'd rather watch Roy Caroll than Andy,he's worse than shite.
[Post edited 17 May 2016 12:02]
England Euro squad announced on 12:02 - May 17 with 1640 viewsD_Alien

England Euro squad announced on 09:58 - May 17 by dingdangblue

I'm going to be dogged by the thought that Stan Collymore agrees with me now!

England Euro squad announced on 12:16 - May 17 with 1616 viewsJimmyRustler

England Euro squad announced on 09:05 - May 17 by AtThePeake

Defoe SHOULD be in the squad. That's my point. I'd rather take Defoe to see if he's still capable rather than take Rashford who's a young lad and has scored 4 Premier League goals. He hasn't even warranted being mentioned in the same breath as the word England. If he didn't play for a big club there's absolutely no way in hell he would have been touted for a call up but I'm blaming the media hype train for that.

Wilshere's inclusion is a joke. There's nothing far-fetched about that statement. Even if I agreed with you about him being our best midfielder (which I'm honestly not sure of), taking him after such a long lay off and playing so little football is farcical, especially when we the alternatives have been playing for their clubs all season and playing well (Noble).

Townsend couldn't get a look in at Spurs and then got sold to Newcastle since January and has put in probably a couple of good performances if that. Not enough game time and can't really be classed as an inform player. Unsurprising that he's been picked because he seems like one of Hodgson's boys but again a shocker nonetheless.

Delph has been injured for an absolute age and wasn't exactly pulling up trees when playing for City. Doesn't have as much about him as Wilshere, so bringing him in for the cold is even more baffling. I don't care if these players have been playing for England previously or not. Including players when they've barely played for their club all season smacks of a closed shop and a job for the boys. Joke inclusion.

Then look at the alternatives I offered.

Defoe - played all season and bang in form in a shocking team with no service

Noble - played all season. West Ham's linchpin and has been unfairly overlooked for a while. Face doesn't fit maybe?

Jagielka - England regular (seeing as that seems to make such a big difference you both yourself and Roy). Hasn't had a great season but has been a million percent better than Stones who looks like a nervous wreck nowadays.

Zaha - played all season and had a fairly decent one.

Lennon - arguably Everton's best player after Lukaku this season. Formed a good partnership with Coleman down the right, not unlike one he could form with Walker (and did do at Spurs).

Chambers - hasn't played much so doesn't deserve to be in contention BUT a better option than Stones IMO. Came on at HT during the season for Arsenal (can't remember which game this second) but produced the best defensive display of any Arsenal CH all season according to my Arsenal supporting mate. Dropped by Wenger next game cause he's a tool but showed a glimpse of things to come.

I don't think calling the selections a joke is a step too far. Were they surprising? For the most part no but that's only because every single England manager we've had in the past 20 years has been a yes man and a job for the boys character.

Noble is the one who should be the most disapponted. Literally don't know what you have to do to get into that team now he hasn't been picked.
England Euro squad announced on 12:28 - May 17 with 1586 viewsD_Alien

England Euro squad announced on 12:16 - May 17 by JimmyRustler

Defoe SHOULD be in the squad. That's my point. I'd rather take Defoe to see if he's still capable rather than take Rashford who's a young lad and has scored 4 Premier League goals. He hasn't even warranted being mentioned in the same breath as the word England. If he didn't play for a big club there's absolutely no way in hell he would have been touted for a call up but I'm blaming the media hype train for that.

Wilshere's inclusion is a joke. There's nothing far-fetched about that statement. Even if I agreed with you about him being our best midfielder (which I'm honestly not sure of), taking him after such a long lay off and playing so little football is farcical, especially when we the alternatives have been playing for their clubs all season and playing well (Noble).

Townsend couldn't get a look in at Spurs and then got sold to Newcastle since January and has put in probably a couple of good performances if that. Not enough game time and can't really be classed as an inform player. Unsurprising that he's been picked because he seems like one of Hodgson's boys but again a shocker nonetheless.

Delph has been injured for an absolute age and wasn't exactly pulling up trees when playing for City. Doesn't have as much about him as Wilshere, so bringing him in for the cold is even more baffling. I don't care if these players have been playing for England previously or not. Including players when they've barely played for their club all season smacks of a closed shop and a job for the boys. Joke inclusion.

Noble - played all season. West Ham's linchpin and has been unfairly overlooked for a while. Face doesn't fit maybe?

Jagielka - England regular (seeing as that seems to make such a big difference you both yourself and Roy). Hasn't had a great season but has been a million percent better than Stones who looks like a nervous wreck nowadays.

Lennon - arguably Everton's best player after Lukaku this season. Formed a good partnership with Coleman down the right, not unlike one he could form with Walker (and did do at Spurs).

Chambers - hasn't played much so doesn't deserve to be in contention BUT a better option than Stones IMO. Came on at HT during the season for Arsenal (can't remember which game this second) but produced the best defensive display of any Arsenal CH all season according to my Arsenal supporting mate. Dropped by Wenger next game cause he's a tool but showed a glimpse of things to come.

I don't think calling the selections a joke is a step too far. Were they surprising? For the most part no but that's only because every single England manager we've had in the past 20 years has been a yes man and a job for the boys character.

Noble is the one who should be the most disapponted. Literally don't know what you have to do to get into that team now he hasn't been picked.

All six players are short of international class. That's Roy's assessment.

England Euro squad announced on 12:32 - May 17 with 1573 viewsJimmyRustler

England Euro squad announced on 12:28 - May 17 by D_Alien

All six players are short of international class. That's Roy's assessment.

All about opinions in it. I've given mine. Unfortunately for Mark Noble my opinion counts for jack sh*t!
England Euro squad announced on 13:03 - May 17 with 1322 viewselectricblue

England Euro squad announced on 10:46 - May 17 by fitzochris

Seriously?

We have one of the strongest looking forward lines and midfields in as long a time as I can remember. We also have very good full backs. Our only true weak areas, if you can call it that, is at centre back and reserve goalkeeper.

If we didn’t get out of the group it would be a travesty. Fortunately, it’s one I don’t see happening.

Yes seriously.......
You need to change things in certain matches and carroll would be idea for that role....
Defoe would be in the squad incase of injuries to sturridge etc.....

One player in that squad thats isnt strong enough is Sterling just does not have it for me to weak easily pushed of the ball......
[Post edited 17 May 2016 17:12]

England Euro squad announced on 13:24 - May 17 with 1291 viewsfitzochris

England Euro squad announced on 13:03 - May 17 by electricblue

Yes seriously.......
You need to change things in certain matches and carroll would be idea for that role....
Defoe would be in the squad incase of injuries to sturridge etc.....

One player in that squad thats isnt strong enough is Sterling just does not have it for me to weak easily pushed of the ball......
[Post edited 17 May 2016 17:12]

If England go with an expected midfield diamond in the group stages, as opposed to 4-3-3, then Vardy and Kane will start up front with Rooney providing a much better option than Caroll from the bench.

We'll get a better idea of Hodgson's plans over the course of these next three friendlies.

Regardless, bar an absolute catastrophe, we won't be going out of this tournament during the group stages.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

England Euro squad announced on 13:48 - May 17 with 1266 viewsdingdangblue

England Euro squad announced on 13:24 - May 17 by fitzochris

If England go with an expected midfield diamond in the group stages, as opposed to 4-3-3, then Vardy and Kane will start up front with Rooney providing a much better option than Caroll from the bench.

We'll get a better idea of Hodgson's plans over the course of these next three friendlies.

Regardless, bar an absolute catastrophe, we won't be going out of this tournament during the group stages.

The best 4 3rd place teams go into the 2nd round also - even more chance of getting out of the group.

England Euro squad announced on 15:49 - May 17 with 1184 viewsAtThePeake

Whilst performances in the Premier League should obviously be taken into consideration, performances for England shouldn't be overlooked. For example Townsend is one of 'Roy's Boys' as you put it because when he's played for England he's played well. Equally, from the top of my head, I can't remember Stones having a particularly bad game for England, even though I agree he's been very poor for Everton of late. Same with Delph, who was man of the match for me in the win over Switzerland, our best performance in qualifying for quite a few years.

One of your reasons there is that Townsend couldn't get a look in at Spurs? There's no shame in not getting a look in at Spurs at the moment. And don't forget that one of your alternatives Lennon was even further down the pecking order when they were both at Spurs. Townsend's arguably been their best player since January and although they've not been great, neither have Sunderland but Defoe's been their best player and you'd have him in the team?

You have to think too about the team spirit and whether the players not selected could've been a disruptive influence when on England duty in the past. It's happened before ala David Bentley under Capello.

As you say, all about opinions and everybody would do things differently. I just think it's slightly over the top calling Roy's decisions a 'joke', when there are, even if you disagree with them, fairly clear reasons behind each of them.
[Post edited 17 May 2016 15:50]

Tangled up in blue.

England Euro squad announced on 17:11 - May 17 with 1133 viewselectricblue

Jagielka is injured apparently....
Fair enough reason not to pick him....

England Euro squad announced on 17:11 - May 17 with 1131 viewsClivert

Barring injury to Kane, Vardy, Rooney or Sturridge during these 3 friendlies Rashford won't be going to France (Hodgson as good as said that yesterday), so which one of the 4 first choice strikers mentioned would you drop for Defoe?
England Euro squad announced on 17:45 - May 17 with 1101 viewsJimmyRustler

England Euro squad announced on 15:49 - May 17 by AtThePeake

Whilst performances in the Premier League should obviously be taken into consideration, performances for England shouldn't be overlooked. For example Townsend is one of 'Roy's Boys' as you put it because when he's played for England he's played well. Equally, from the top of my head, I can't remember Stones having a particularly bad game for England, even though I agree he's been very poor for Everton of late. Same with Delph, who was man of the match for me in the win over Switzerland, our best performance in qualifying for quite a few years.

One of your reasons there is that Townsend couldn't get a look in at Spurs? There's no shame in not getting a look in at Spurs at the moment. And don't forget that one of your alternatives Lennon was even further down the pecking order when they were both at Spurs. Townsend's arguably been their best player since January and although they've not been great, neither have Sunderland but Defoe's been their best player and you'd have him in the team?

You have to think too about the team spirit and whether the players not selected could've been a disruptive influence when on England duty in the past. It's happened before ala David Bentley under Capello.

As you say, all about opinions and everybody would do things differently. I just think it's slightly over the top calling Roy's decisions a 'joke', when there are, even if you disagree with them, fairly clear reasons behind each of them.
[Post edited 17 May 2016 15:50]

The England games are so far apart though. Players shouldn't been picked on past performances for England although I accept that has to come into the equation.

Defoe and Townsend isn't much of a comparison really. Defoe's had a remarkable season. Townsend hasn't.

There always gonna be a case for Roy picking players otherwise he wouldn't pick em. He's no mug, just think he's got it wrong. Not to worry though, I'm still looking forward to it with some of the talent we have coming through.
England Euro squad announced on 17:46 - May 17 with 1098 viewsJimmyRustler

England Euro squad announced on 17:11 - May 17 by Clivert

Barring injury to Kane, Vardy, Rooney or Sturridge during these 3 friendlies Rashford won't be going to France (Hodgson as good as said that yesterday), so which one of the 4 first choice strikers mentioned would you drop for Defoe?

List Rooney as a midfielder. Take Defoe. Get one of the shyte midfielders out.
England Euro squad announced on 19:07 - May 17 with 1040 viewsJamest1994

Milner will be one of the first names on the team sheet and rightly so.

Don't see the harm in taking wilshere. If he is unfit or gets injured we have plenty of cover in midfield (henderson, ali, milner, dier, drinkwater). Makes sense to bring him rather than noble as he is our most gifted midfielder.

Cant believe i saw ward prowse (i'm sure he isn't a regular starter for southampton) and lingard mentioned!
England Euro squad announced on 19:25 - May 17 with 1026 viewsdingdangblue

England Euro squad announced on 17:11 - May 17 by Clivert

Rooney,Smalling and Rashford cant even play in Sundays friendly because of the Cup final.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024