Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Canavan signs 2 year deal. 12:12 - May 31 with 10830 viewsjav14

Brilliant news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36417882
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:04 - May 31 with 4444 viewsD_Alien

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:00 - May 31 by AtThePeake

Being 'little' doesn't necessarily mean you can't play centre back. Carles Puyol? Fabio Cannavaro?

Kenny Burns?

What all three had in common was they had the opposition forwards shitting themselves before the game started. That's not Joe Raff, even though I like him.

[Post edited 31 May 2016 18:04]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:09 - May 31 with 4427 viewsAtThePeake

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:04 - May 31 by D_Alien

Kenny Burns?

What all three had in common was they had the opposition forwards shitting themselves before the game started. That's not Joe Raff, even though I like him.

[Post edited 31 May 2016 18:04]

I personally wouldn't put Raff anywhere near CB, just resent the idea that all CB's have to be 6 foot plus.

(Probably because I used to play CB and I'm hardly the tallest myself!)

One of our best CB's of recent years too, Nathan Stanton, was only 5'9.

Tangled up in blue.

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:41 - May 31 with 4340 viewsTalkingSutty

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:00 - May 31 by AtThePeake

Being 'little' doesn't necessarily mean you can't play centre back. Carles Puyol? Fabio Cannavaro?

With the greatest of respect Rafferty doesn't fall into that category. I can't think of many small centre halves and the two you have mentioned are nearly as wide as they are small, both world class footballers.

Rafferty is as far from being a central defender as he is a centre forward. He doesn't have the build. Puyol and Cannavaro are animals and Rafferty isn't. Do we really want dwarfs as central defenders? We already concede plenty from set pieces as it is. Canavans a good start, we need another ball winning centre half now.
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:50 - May 31 with 4308 viewsTalkingSutty

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:09 - May 31 by AtThePeake

I personally wouldn't put Raff anywhere near CB, just resent the idea that all CB's have to be 6 foot plus.

(Probably because I used to play CB and I'm hardly the tallest myself!)

One of our best CB's of recent years too, Nathan Stanton, was only 5'9.

Stanton had the build of a centre half though and so did Holness to an extent but I wouldn't class either as being anything special. They did a job. You can't get away with employing a small defence in this league, set pieces decide a lot of games and you need the height to defend them.

Just because you aren't tall doesn't mean you have to try to entice Clubs to employ small centre halves, if they're not six foot they should find another position to play. I've come across plenty of people over the years who pretend they're six foot when it's quite obvious they aren't. Some even wear built up shoes.
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:08 - May 31 with 4254 viewsTVOS1907

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 12:41 - May 31 by dalestats

Leighanne is on holiday as well so it might slow stories down

Is this meant to be common knowledge?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:21 - May 31 with 4205 viewsAtThePeake

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 18:50 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

Stanton had the build of a centre half though and so did Holness to an extent but I wouldn't class either as being anything special. They did a job. You can't get away with employing a small defence in this league, set pieces decide a lot of games and you need the height to defend them.

Just because you aren't tall doesn't mean you have to try to entice Clubs to employ small centre halves, if they're not six foot they should find another position to play. I've come across plenty of people over the years who pretend they're six foot when it's quite obvious they aren't. Some even wear built up shoes.

I'm not trying to entice anyone to employ anyone am I? I'm just saying you don't have to be tall to be a centre half, as proven by the examples given.

We'll agree to disagree on Stanton. I thought he was arguably our best player in his first season (2006-2007) and then a key member of the squad that reached the play-offs twice and eventually won promotion, playing almost every game in those four years if I remember rightly. Can't have been that good though if he was under 6 foot, I guess.
[Post edited 31 May 2016 19:23]

Tangled up in blue.

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:28 - May 31 with 4174 views442Dale

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:21 - May 31 by AtThePeake

I'm not trying to entice anyone to employ anyone am I? I'm just saying you don't have to be tall to be a centre half, as proven by the examples given.

We'll agree to disagree on Stanton. I thought he was arguably our best player in his first season (2006-2007) and then a key member of the squad that reached the play-offs twice and eventually won promotion, playing almost every game in those four years if I remember rightly. Can't have been that good though if he was under 6 foot, I guess.

Also Holness was excellent in our first season in L1. Rafferty at CH is not a size thing, more that he doesn't read the game well enough and makes rash challenges. We'd concede too many penalties with him there. This doesn't mean he's a bad player, more you can get away with it a bit more out wide.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:34 - May 31 with 4152 viewsAtThePeake

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:28 - May 31 by 442Dale

Also Holness was excellent in our first season in L1. Rafferty at CH is not a size thing, more that he doesn't read the game well enough and makes rash challenges. We'd concede too many penalties with him there. This doesn't mean he's a bad player, more you can get away with it a bit more out wide.

I've already said higher up that I wouldn't have Raff at CB.

But TS referring to having "Little" Raff at CB and saying "if they're not six foot they should find another position to play" is what I'm disagreeing with.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:41 - May 31 with 4118 viewsTalkingSutty

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:21 - May 31 by AtThePeake

I know you're not doing any enticing , it was tongue in cheek..

Stanton did a decent job but we're talking about the top half of league one now. Lancashire was ok in league two but he was exposed at a higher level. Maybe its just me,i always feel more secure with some big bruisers in the middle of defence. They also give you a scoring threat at the other end.

I've never liked small centre halves, i think the height issue is a weakness that the opposition will target on set pieces.
[Post edited 31 May 2016 19:47]
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:41 - May 31 with 4115 views442Dale

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:34 - May 31 by AtThePeake

I've already said higher up that I wouldn't have Raff at CB.

But TS referring to having "Little" Raff at CB and saying "if they're not six foot they should find another position to play" is what I'm disagreeing with.

No, I know, it needed saying why Rafferty won't make a CH. Didn't like him in midfield for the same reason.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:07 - May 31 with 4034 viewsnordenblue

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:41 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

Stanton did a decent job but we're talking about the top half of league one now. Lancashire was ok in league two but he was exposed at a higher level. Maybe its just me,i always feel more secure with some big bruisers in the middle of defence. They also give you a scoring threat at the other end.

I've never liked small centre halves, i think the height issue is a weakness that the opposition will target on set pieces.

It also puts too much pressure on the other taller centre half to win every single header when his partners a Dusseldorf. 2 big lumps everyday of the week for me unless you've got a ridiculously good footballer at centre half with pace you can get away with it.
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:37 - May 31 with 3968 viewsfirgrovedale51

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 19:41 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

Dont shoot the messenger but Wikipedia has Raff at 6ft
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:51 - May 31 with 3923 viewsdingdangblue

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 17:49 - May 31 by D_Alien

Yes, there is.

We've been here before, so not prepared to discuss disloyalty in the workplace again.

Could be a family member of player or staff? Just sayin. I agree there's no need for 'inside info' especially when we are trying to sign players.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:53 - May 31 with 3908 viewsTalkingSutty

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:37 - May 31 by firgrovedale51

Dont shoot the messenger but Wikipedia has Raff at 6ft

Built up shoes and doubled up odour eaters.
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 21:01 - May 31 with 3886 viewsD_Alien

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 20:51 - May 31 by dingdangblue

Could be a family member of player or staff? Just sayin. I agree there's no need for 'inside info' especially when we are trying to sign players.

It could, but then the same would apply to the player involved, who'd almost certainly be aware of who was doing the leaking. Hilly's spoken out about this in the past, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't still reminds players about minding their own business. Plus, it could be in their contracts to keep their gobs shut about these things.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 22:01 - May 31 with 3705 viewsDaleiLama

Pity upthedale89 didn't predict we would go to seed over the summer .......... at least he would have got one right then!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 22:10 - May 31 with 3681 viewsYouTubeDale

Canavan is quite good with his distribution as well as heading out of defence. He has a speciality dink into the far corner area for our attacker to follow up. I wish he could work on his attacking corners and get more of those headers going in a downward direction. I know it's not easy but I feel there are more goals in him.

One of the moments that stood out for me last season was when Canavan made his debut at Bradford. Our choir sung Caravan of Love with a beautiful solo effort at the end. Take a bow that man !!!

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 06:23 - Jun 1 with 3444 viewsAtThePeake

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 22:10 - May 31 by YouTubeDale

Canavan is quite good with his distribution as well as heading out of defence. He has a speciality dink into the far corner area for our attacker to follow up. I wish he could work on his attacking corners and get more of those headers going in a downward direction. I know it's not easy but I feel there are more goals in him.

One of the moments that stood out for me last season was when Canavan made his debut at Bradford. Our choir sung Caravan of Love with a beautiful solo effort at the end. Take a bow that man !!!

Tangled up in blue.

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 10:32 - Jun 1 with 3282 viewsJimmyRustler

So Raff has one of his best seasons for us, makes the RB slot his own and then people start suggesting we don't need to sign as many CBs cause he can slot in there?

I've honestly heard it all now.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 10:36]
Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 09:27 - Jun 4 with 2823 viewsseasidedale

Canavan signs 2 year deal. on 16:03 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

I take it that's a windup? Little Raff playing Centre half winning all those towering headers/ bullying the centre forwards etc and Lund one of our most talented midfielders being taken out of the role where he can make the team tick and being played at right back? Rafferty showed great improvement at right back last season, he doesn't need messing about. McNulty also needs leaving at left back. Tanser needs to show he's worthy of a starting place because he didn't manage to achieve that last year, I don't see how he now automatically warrants a starting place because we're short of numbers. He needs to win his place back by impressing the manager.

You couldn't make it up. it's on a par with those who think BBM can slot in at centre half. I'm still waiting for that suggestion to make an appearance, there's time yet.

I did put it on as a wind up, everyone know that we will probably play calvin at full back
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024