Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Squad. 14:24 - May 31 with 5018 viewsroccydaleian

Thoughts?
[Post edited 31 May 2016 14:30]
England Squad. on 14:32 - May 31 with 3899 viewsSaxonDale

Think Drinkwater can count himself unlucky to miss out, I would have taken him. Rashford's inclusion looks like Hogdson will be dropping Rooney into midfield which is a relief, genuinely think we have as much of an attacking threat as we have had going into any tournament in the last 2 decades.
England Squad. on 14:35 - May 31 with 3892 viewsrich_dale

Would have taken Townsend over Barkley based on recent form. But agreed, best attacking options for many a year.
England Squad. on 15:31 - May 31 with 3801 views_dezzy

We're gonna score 1 more than you, Engerland

KHBA

England Squad. on 17:48 - May 31 with 3701 viewsboromat

Would love to know what sterling has done to warrant a place.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

England Squad. on 18:00 - May 31 with 3678 viewsD_Alien

England Squad. on 17:48 - May 31 by boromat

I don't think Sterling will be an automatic starter, but he's got what it takes to rip open a tiring defence in the last quarter, or extra time.

No quibbles with that squad. Roy's made his choices and I can see the rationale behind them all. If we don't do well, it won't be through who did/didn't make the final 23, but because other teams are better than us. I've predicted the semis.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England Squad. on 18:23 - May 31 with 3643 viewsChaffRAFC

How Drinkwater stays behind while England's most overrated player Jack Wilshere goes is quite simply beyond me.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

England Squad. on 18:51 - May 31 with 3600 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

England Squad. on 18:23 - May 31 by ChaffRAFC

How Drinkwater stays behind while England's most overrated player Jack Wilshere goes is quite simply beyond me.

Wilshere is our only midfielder with star quality. I'm not saying he's World class - far from it - but he's the only one with that something extra. He can beat a man from the centre of the park, pick out a defence splitting pass (see Oxlade-Chamberlain's goal away at Scotland), and has a great footballing brain and movement to worry opposition. Especially against the teams in our group who will set up negatively, where we need something special to break them down.

Drinkwater has had an incredible season, but his role is a relatively simple one. It can be performed by the likes of Dier, Henderson and even Milner (although I'm not the latter's biggest fan). There's no need for another player of that type.

Also, the fact Roy has worked with Wilshere for four years will go against Drinkwater. People might argue that it shouldn't matter how long players have been around the squad, but to Hodgson it obviously does. Drinkwater has been unlucky that he's only been involved in one squad before this summer.

Wilshere's injury record is the biggest risk. Same with Sturridge. If those two - and to a lesser extent Henderson - pick up injuries, it could blow up in the manager's face.
England Squad. on 19:37 - May 31 with 3512 viewsChaffRAFC

England Squad. on 18:51 - May 31 by SimpkinsLeftPeg

Wilshere is our only midfielder with star quality. I'm not saying he's World class - far from it - but he's the only one with that something extra. He can beat a man from the centre of the park, pick out a defence splitting pass (see Oxlade-Chamberlain's goal away at Scotland), and has a great footballing brain and movement to worry opposition. Especially against the teams in our group who will set up negatively, where we need something special to break them down.

Drinkwater has had an incredible season, but his role is a relatively simple one. It can be performed by the likes of Dier, Henderson and even Milner (although I'm not the latter's biggest fan). There's no need for another player of that type.

Also, the fact Roy has worked with Wilshere for four years will go against Drinkwater. People might argue that it shouldn't matter how long players have been around the squad, but to Hodgson it obviously does. Drinkwater has been unlucky that he's only been involved in one squad before this summer.

Wilshere's injury record is the biggest risk. Same with Sturridge. If those two - and to a lesser extent Henderson - pick up injuries, it could blow up in the manager's face.

I disagree. I don't think he has star quality, he's played 141 minutes of Premiership football all season and he's barely impressed in the past couple of years without his injuries. The point you make about Dier, Henderson or Milner being able to play the role Drinkwater plays is spot on but at the same time, the likes of Alli, Barkley and Rooney can all play the role Wilshere plays and do it an awful lot better.

Login to get fewer ads

England Squad. on 20:13 - May 31 with 3442 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 17:48 - May 31 by boromat

Set up both goals v Australia?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England Squad. on 20:16 - May 31 with 3434 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 18:23 - May 31 by ChaffRAFC

Cant believe he's overlooked Carrick, Lingard and Brian Robson.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

England Squad. on 20:50 - May 31 with 3395 viewsChaffRAFC

England Squad. on 20:16 - May 31 by dingdangblue

Cant believe he's overlooked Carrick, Lingard and Brian Robson.

I'll excuse the piss taking but Lingard is far more deserving of a place than Wilshere.

England Squad. on 21:02 - May 31 with 3364 viewsBrierls

England Squad. on 20:50 - May 31 by ChaffRAFC

I'll excuse the piss taking but Lingard is far more deserving of a place than Wilshere.

Behalf yourself, Chaff.

I'd have taken Drinkwater over Henderson, and Townsend over Sturridge.

Henderson doesn't have enough ability to make up for his lack of fitness. Sturridge can't manage a training session without falling to bits, never mind a tournament with back to back games.

I'm glad Rashford is on the plane, the lad has got something.
England Squad. on 22:07 - May 31 with 3286 viewsboromat

England Squad. on 20:13 - May 31 by dingdangblue

Set up both goals v Australia?

True yep two assists vs Australia equals world class :-P

England Squad. on 22:33 - May 31 with 3248 viewsnordenblue

England Squad. on 22:07 - May 31 by boromat

True yep two assists vs Australia equals world class :-P

He'll fit in well with the majority of the team who also aren't "world class"
England Squad. on 22:59 - May 31 with 3212 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 22:33 - May 31 by nordenblue

He'll fit in well with the majority of the team who also aren't "world class"

Dont need to be World Class - its the Euro's!
[Post edited 31 May 2016 23:01]

England Squad. on 07:31 - Jun 1 with 3083 viewsnordenblue

England Squad. on 22:59 - May 31 by dingdangblue

Dont need to be World Class - its the Euro's!
[Post edited 31 May 2016 23:01]

And the last 3 winners of the World Cup are all from where,yes you've guessed it....
England Squad. on 08:16 - Jun 1 with 3052 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 07:31 - Jun 1 by nordenblue

And the last 3 winners of the World Cup are all from where,yes you've guessed it....

If Czech can get to a final and Greece can win it - of couse England can too. You need to play well but you also need luck and decisions not to go against you. Rooney getting injured in 04 and then Sol Campbell's ridiculous disallowed goal - we were in with a great shout of winning that tournament. 2012 we were far from being great but were penalty kicks away from the semi's again. I dont expect us to win it - but if we give it a go and if Kane and Alli play like they have been doing all season we will cause teams problems.

England Squad. on 08:20 - Jun 1 with 3049 viewsAtThePeake

England Squad. on 20:50 - May 31 by ChaffRAFC

Chaff it's not often I disagree with you and I'm not quick to defend Wilshere for obvious reasons. But this is nonsense.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 8:22]

Tangled up in blue.

England Squad. on 08:26 - Jun 1 with 3040 viewsTalkingSutty

England Squad. on 08:16 - Jun 1 by dingdangblue

If Czech can get to a final and Greece can win it - of couse England can too. You need to play well but you also need luck and decisions not to go against you. Rooney getting injured in 04 and then Sol Campbell's ridiculous disallowed goal - we were in with a great shout of winning that tournament. 2012 we were far from being great but were penalty kicks away from the semi's again. I dont expect us to win it - but if we give it a go and if Kane and Alli play like they have been doing all season we will cause teams problems.

I think we'll have to play at a high tempo and take the game to the opposition, it's the best way of protecting our dodgy defence and would be playing to our attacking strength. The minute we start trying to be coy and start passing it around at the back that's when we will implode.

Inviting the opposition on to us will see us out of the competition, if Hodgson overthinks things too much we might not even get out of the group stages. The defence is a shambles, we might just get away with it in the group stages but quality forwards will take us to the cleaner if we progress. Sorry for being negative.
England Squad. on 08:34 - Jun 1 with 3026 viewsColDale

It's been doing the rounds in the past 24 hrs but Rashford shas gone from being an unused sub against Dale in the Lancashire Senior Cup to the European Championships

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/rochdale-manchester-united-lancashire-
England Squad. on 08:59 - Jun 1 with 3005 viewsfunkkk

England Squad. on 21:02 - May 31 by Brierls

Behalf yourself, Chaff.

I'd have taken Drinkwater over Henderson, and Townsend over Sturridge.

Henderson doesn't have enough ability to make up for his lack of fitness. Sturridge can't manage a training session without falling to bits, never mind a tournament with back to back games.

I'm glad Rashford is on the plane, the lad has got something.

Seems to me Hodgson was determined to take Sturridge providing he wasn't in a wheelchair so taking Rashford allowed him to do that.

I think we can have a half decent tournament if we attack teams though think we will get picked apart when we play anyone of genuine class.
England Squad. on 10:32 - Jun 1 with 2957 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 08:34 - Jun 1 by ColDale

It's been doing the rounds in the past 24 hrs but Rashford shas gone from being an unused sub against Dale in the Lancashire Senior Cup to the European Championships

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/rochdale-manchester-united-lancashire-

And Ashley Fletcher ended the season scoring at Wembley getting Barnsley promoted. He's looked superb for them (came on against Dale when it was 2-1 at Oakwell and was mainly responsible for it ending 6-1). If Dale are going down the loan route these Utd stars should surely be coming to local clubs like us and not over to Yorkshire?

England Squad. on 11:44 - Jun 1 with 2902 viewsD_Alien

England Squad. on 10:32 - Jun 1 by dingdangblue

And Ashley Fletcher ended the season scoring at Wembley getting Barnsley promoted. He's looked superb for them (came on against Dale when it was 2-1 at Oakwell and was mainly responsible for it ending 6-1). If Dale are going down the loan route these Utd stars should surely be coming to local clubs like us and not over to Yorkshire?

The Perreira fiasco might've set us back in the pecking order. Having a player on loan, then not playing him - player whinges, goes back and is returned with a "play or else" label attached - and for what, when the defensive problem was at CB all along?

I wonder who deals with these matters at OT? Almost certainly not the manager directly, although there may be some consultation; probably the coach overseeing the reserve/u21s? That'd be the person to cultivate, and under Mourinho that might change which could set us back to square one.

I agree with your point, but it might also be that Hilly sees our own young outfield players as a more promising route forward. Having a youngster with a "big club" mentality and a sneer on his face at the training ground wouldn't be ideal for unity.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England Squad. on 12:16 - Jun 1 with 2849 viewsdingdangblue

England Squad. on 11:44 - Jun 1 by D_Alien

The Perreira fiasco might've set us back in the pecking order. Having a player on loan, then not playing him - player whinges, goes back and is returned with a "play or else" label attached - and for what, when the defensive problem was at CB all along?

I wonder who deals with these matters at OT? Almost certainly not the manager directly, although there may be some consultation; probably the coach overseeing the reserve/u21s? That'd be the person to cultivate, and under Mourinho that might change which could set us back to square one.

I agree with your point, but it might also be that Hilly sees our own young outfield players as a more promising route forward. Having a youngster with a "big club" mentality and a sneer on his face at the training ground wouldn't be ideal for unity.

Their young centre back Axel Tuanzebe is from Rochdale and we should be trying to get him next season - no way Mourhino is going to give him a chance.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 12:18]

England Squad. on 12:56 - Jun 1 with 2778 viewsboromat

England Squad. on 08:26 - Jun 1 by TalkingSutty

I think we'll have to play at a high tempo and take the game to the opposition, it's the best way of protecting our dodgy defence and would be playing to our attacking strength. The minute we start trying to be coy and start passing it around at the back that's when we will implode.

Inviting the opposition on to us will see us out of the competition, if Hodgson overthinks things too much we might not even get out of the group stages. The defence is a shambles, we might just get away with it in the group stages but quality forwards will take us to the cleaner if we progress. Sorry for being negative.

It'll definitely be a case of having to out score the opposition. I can't see us keeping clean sheets against the top teams and I'd be worried if we set up defensively against the lesser teams.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024