Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Iceland tonight 11:28 - Jun 20 with 22832 viewsaleanddale

Roy is making changes tonight.

Is that a good thing? I think so.

Vital we match or better the Wales result. It would be great to go into the last 16 top of the group and a game against a 3rd place finisher for a knock out game for a QF place in the comp.

QF a minimum aim now - then 3 games from euro glory!

This is England though.... Sure to be some concern at some point tonight!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 5:59]
England v Iceland tonight on 21:31 - Jun 28 with 1695 viewsnordenblue

England v Iceland tonight on 19:12 - Jun 28 by macro

Players are good enough but mr hodgson and his coaching team aren't. Wales have inferior players and have got further through better coaching and organisation.

I'd disagree with that a bit,the players haven't won a tap since 1966 I'd say that can't be down to every single manager we've ever had being inept surely?

Any manager can't be blamed for a so called class players inability to find a shirt from 5 yards away,we seem to just crumble at the thought of any knock out game, we just don't do any degree of pressure very well at all.
England v Iceland tonight on 21:49 - Jun 28 with 1672 viewsAtThePeake

England v Iceland tonight on 21:24 - Jun 28 by olympicdale

The media, the ones putting ridiculous pressure on the England team every two years. We are blinded by the Premier league, its the reason we think we have a divine right to win every tournament, constantly looking down on other teams.

The PL is full of money, so that must mean the national team surely must be strong, because it can't be based on past tournament history that we think England will do anything at any World Cup or Euros.

The Premier League is not helping the national team develop, which is what it needs to do, as the German and Spanish leagues have done for years. I'm not saying the PL doesn't have exciting moments, of course it does, but with the amount of money spent on it, its hardly surprising.

There are though, too many overrated foreign players making the English players look good, the English players are reliant on these players week in week out. There are no world class players in the England squad or up and coming. The fear always makes the players freeze. We need to lower the expectations at tournaments and just let them play their game, they're trying too hard to succeed because they know they'll be lambasted by a media that feels England have a right to beat these teams, zero respect for any teams by the media.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 21:28]

Find me one serious pundit/journalist or even ex-pro who said we should have been winning this tournament. What they and the fans expected was a little more fight and a little more heart and to be quite honest - yes, to see us beat teams like Iceland, which we definitely have the quality to do. Nobody has acted as though we had a divine right to win this tournament though as far as I could see, just that we should be beating teams that on paper are not as good as us.

What is it that La Liga and the Bundesliga have done to help their national teams develop out of interest? (That's a genuine question cause I don't know much about either of those leagues.)

Tangled up in blue.

England v Iceland tonight on 22:18 - Jun 28 with 1651 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 21:24 - Jun 28 by olympicdale

The media, the ones putting ridiculous pressure on the England team every two years. We are blinded by the Premier league, its the reason we think we have a divine right to win every tournament, constantly looking down on other teams.

The PL is full of money, so that must mean the national team surely must be strong, because it can't be based on past tournament history that we think England will do anything at any World Cup or Euros.

The Premier League is not helping the national team develop, which is what it needs to do, as the German and Spanish leagues have done for years. I'm not saying the PL doesn't have exciting moments, of course it does, but with the amount of money spent on it, its hardly surprising.

There are though, too many overrated foreign players making the English players look good, the English players are reliant on these players week in week out. There are no world class players in the England squad or up and coming. The fear always makes the players freeze. We need to lower the expectations at tournaments and just let them play their game, they're trying too hard to succeed because they know they'll be lambasted by a media that feels England have a right to beat these teams, zero respect for any teams by the media.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 21:28]

Who do you mean by 'we'?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

England v Iceland tonight on 00:10 - Jun 29 with 1589 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 21:49 - Jun 28 by AtThePeake

Find me one serious pundit/journalist or even ex-pro who said we should have been winning this tournament. What they and the fans expected was a little more fight and a little more heart and to be quite honest - yes, to see us beat teams like Iceland, which we definitely have the quality to do. Nobody has acted as though we had a divine right to win this tournament though as far as I could see, just that we should be beating teams that on paper are not as good as us.

What is it that La Liga and the Bundesliga have done to help their national teams develop out of interest? (That's a genuine question cause I don't know much about either of those leagues.)

The Bundesliga has made it a rule that from the 2016/17 season, 14 members of each teams squads must be german or home grown talent. Spain already have nearly 65% Spanish players (last time i checked) The premierleague needs to impliment something similar, to bed in the young talent. I can't see that happening, too many foreign coaches and owners, but the PL needs to do something, or soon enough the only English thing about the PL will be the names of the clubs.

Fao TVOS: we, as in our media, i know they say every year they're not gonna put pressure on the team, but come the tournament, its like England tourettes.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 08:22 - Jun 29 with 1508 viewsdingdangblue

Some funny stuff on here.......
http://footballburp.com/jokes/the-best-joe-hart-jokes-as-he-takes-the-blame-for-

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England v Iceland tonight on 10:14 - Jun 29 with 1451 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 00:10 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

The Bundesliga has made it a rule that from the 2016/17 season, 14 members of each teams squads must be german or home grown talent. Spain already have nearly 65% Spanish players (last time i checked) The premierleague needs to impliment something similar, to bed in the young talent. I can't see that happening, too many foreign coaches and owners, but the PL needs to do something, or soon enough the only English thing about the PL will be the names of the clubs.

Fao TVOS: we, as in our media, i know they say every year they're not gonna put pressure on the team, but come the tournament, its like England tourettes.

So if the media say it, it must be true?

England v Iceland tonight on 10:43 - Jun 29 with 1436 viewsKenBoon

England v Iceland tonight on 00:10 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

I don't think there's been much pressure on England for the past two tournaments. Nothing compared to other established nations. Also pressure shouldn't make a difference. They're professionals. It's not like they doss about for the rest of the year.

P.S. The Bundesliga is boring. Next season at least two of the teams are tightly linked to big corporations and one of those is Austrian. Although tbf there's some crackin' free shuttle buses to and from grounds.
England v Iceland tonight on 11:07 - Jun 29 with 1410 viewsdingdangblue

I think its glaringly obvious now that Kane shouldn't have started the game v Iceland, yes we all hoped he'd come good and wake from his slumber but its now clear he's burnt out and last seasons taken everything out of him. Just some of the stuff he was doing was embarrassing at times. Surely Roy and the coaching staff saw this in training every day? As much as Joe Harts mistake cost us - so did playing without a number 9 for the whole tournament.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Login to get fewer ads

England v Iceland tonight on 11:52 - Jun 29 with 1376 viewsD_Alien

England v Iceland tonight on 11:07 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

I think its glaringly obvious now that Kane shouldn't have started the game v Iceland, yes we all hoped he'd come good and wake from his slumber but its now clear he's burnt out and last seasons taken everything out of him. Just some of the stuff he was doing was embarrassing at times. Surely Roy and the coaching staff saw this in training every day? As much as Joe Harts mistake cost us - so did playing without a number 9 for the whole tournament.

Sturridge was also played in a ridiculous role - playing like a right-sided midfielder, and I don't remember him getting into a good position in the box at any stage during the game.

Utter bollox by Hodgson, at £3.5m a year. It's grotesque.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Iceland tonight on 12:16 - Jun 29 with 1343 viewsdingdangblue

England v Iceland tonight on 11:52 - Jun 29 by D_Alien

Sturridge was also played in a ridiculous role - playing like a right-sided midfielder, and I don't remember him getting into a good position in the box at any stage during the game.

Utter bollox by Hodgson, at £3.5m a year. It's grotesque.

Sturridge redeemed himself partly by setting up the pen with a wonderful ball to Sterling, also I still dont know how Vardy hasn't headed in that super cross by him in the 93rd min. He is wasted on the right though - he or Vardy should've played number 9 and Lallana should have started (if fit). What a chance missed by a talented bunch of players.

England v Iceland tonight on 13:01 - Jun 29 with 1294 viewsfirgrovedale51

England v Iceland tonight on 12:16 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

Sturridge redeemed himself partly by setting up the pen with a wonderful ball to Sterling, also I still dont know how Vardy hasn't headed in that super cross by him in the 93rd min. He is wasted on the right though - he or Vardy should've played number 9 and Lallana should have started (if fit). What a chance missed by a talented bunch of players.

Pretty much agree with all that
England v Iceland tonight on 13:13 - Jun 29 with 1280 viewsboromat

I'd like a manager to come in and completely disregard the media's pressure to include certain individuals and completely take charge of creating a team. We always seem to end up with a group of individuals. Lets have a new manager come in put a squad together and stick with it and develop it for the full two years. We qualified with one squad and took a different one to the tournament.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

England v Iceland tonight on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 1262 viewsColDale

England v Iceland tonight on 11:07 - Jun 29 by dingdangblue

Perhaps if Kane hadn't played in that meaningless tournament last Summer, he might have been a bit fresher as he's had pretty much two years of constant footballer.
England v Iceland tonight on 14:03 - Jun 29 with 1211 viewsdingdangblue

England v Iceland tonight on 13:21 - Jun 29 by ColDale

Perhaps if Kane hadn't played in that meaningless tournament last Summer, he might have been a bit fresher as he's had pretty much two years of constant footballer.

He looked knackered and didn't score in that one either!

England v Iceland tonight on 14:11 - Jun 29 with 1200 viewsmingthemerciless

Our whole style of football was pedestrian in the extreme. It was so obvious and predictable that anybody could defend against us. We hardly ever got around the sides of our opponents and we were content just to pass it around slowly in front of them while they re-grouped.
It was as though we'd been told to stand still and wait for the ball to feet. The number of times the ball was played into space for an England player to run on to was next to nil.

Bloody awful football.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 14:12]
England v Iceland tonight on 14:49 - Jun 29 with 1165 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 10:43 - Jun 29 by KenBoon

I don't think there's been much pressure on England for the past two tournaments. Nothing compared to other established nations. Also pressure shouldn't make a difference. They're professionals. It's not like they doss about for the rest of the year.

P.S. The Bundesliga is boring. Next season at least two of the teams are tightly linked to big corporations and one of those is Austrian. Although tbf there's some crackin' free shuttle buses to and from grounds.

The pressure of playing for England at a major tournament always seems to get to them, if the players are as talented as they're portrayed to be it shouldn't bother them, the fear of failure hits them once the tournament starts.

The Bundesliga isn't boring, its a competitive league, it has one utterly dominant team right now, but below Bayern it is very competitive with plenty of good games, its a bit ignorant to just call it boring, ive rarely been bored watching a BL match. It is more technical than the Premier league, with the style of football, even if it doesn't have as much funding, with the new bumper tv deal should help it become more competitive against the other big leagues.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 15:14 - Jun 29 with 1139 viewsKenBoon

England v Iceland tonight on 14:49 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

The pressure of playing for England at a major tournament always seems to get to them, if the players are as talented as they're portrayed to be it shouldn't bother them, the fear of failure hits them once the tournament starts.

The Bundesliga isn't boring, its a competitive league, it has one utterly dominant team right now, but below Bayern it is very competitive with plenty of good games, its a bit ignorant to just call it boring, ive rarely been bored watching a BL match. It is more technical than the Premier league, with the style of football, even if it doesn't have as much funding, with the new bumper tv deal should help it become more competitive against the other big leagues.

I personally don't think the England team are particularly talented. There's a few who are good but the majority are just plain and'technically' good Footballers.

Praising something for its technique usually means you're praising them for being boring. Some BL sides play fast attacking Football, but some just fall into that slow crabby style that England are trying to make their own. Although tbf they do tend to keep hold of the ball for longer.
England v Iceland tonight on 15:29 - Jun 29 with 1122 viewsfitzochris

The two players who had impressed me most in the tournament - Dier and Walker - were made to look ordinary by Iceland. They're not ordinary, they're very good players, but it was a case of the occassion getting to them in my opinion, which is bad.

That and the fact Iceland chased tirelessly - Walker especially was harrassed up and down the flank and made no impact as a result - contributed to our downfall.

I stand by my opinion that Roy didn't know his best XI or system and that that lack of confidence passed down to the players.

How we could go from coasting qualifying, looking confident in the friendlies to a managerless shambles within four games beggars belief.

I'll watch the circus from here on in with interest.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

England v Iceland tonight on 16:37 - Jun 29 with 1059 viewsdingdangblue

England v Iceland tonight on 15:29 - Jun 29 by fitzochris

The two players who had impressed me most in the tournament - Dier and Walker - were made to look ordinary by Iceland. They're not ordinary, they're very good players, but it was a case of the occassion getting to them in my opinion, which is bad.

That and the fact Iceland chased tirelessly - Walker especially was harrassed up and down the flank and made no impact as a result - contributed to our downfall.

I stand by my opinion that Roy didn't know his best XI or system and that that lack of confidence passed down to the players.

How we could go from coasting qualifying, looking confident in the friendlies to a managerless shambles within four games beggars belief.

Also playing Sturridge on the right meant Walker was probably told not to go forward as much - Lallana and Walker worked superb in the 1st 2 games so not quite sure why it was abandoned? Again its down to Roy getting muddled with selections and formation.

England v Iceland tonight on 20:40 - Jun 29 with 975 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 15:14 - Jun 29 by KenBoon

I personally don't think the England team are particularly talented. There's a few who are good but the majority are just plain and'technically' good Footballers.

Praising something for its technique usually means you're praising them for being boring. Some BL sides play fast attacking Football, but some just fall into that slow crabby style that England are trying to make their own. Although tbf they do tend to keep hold of the ball for longer.

I don't think they are either, most English players are overrated, and pushed in to the limelight too early, often believing their own hype, a prime example being Raheem Sterling. I also think that they are not coached properly at International level, playing in random systems, hurting their confidence before they even get on the pitch, playing football is tough in your own position, never mind in someone elses.

What a sad state of affairs it is, that technical ability is called boring, sums up the whole countries attitude towards football, that, I'm sure City will be called boring too, under Pep, like what happened at Bayern. Technical ability is what football is all about, defining natural ability, each league has its own style. The Bundesliga is more focused on build up play from the back, and the coaching is different, players needing to be comfortable on the ball for longer. It is a completely different style to the Premier league, a slower pace, compared to the 100mph kick and rush style in the PL, although that being one of the reasons it is entertaining to watch, if not always the best quality.

Teams like Bayern and Dortmund are in a different league to the rest, but there are teams such as Gladbach and Leverkusen pushing behind them, even "smaller" teams like Mainz and Hertha Berlin, interesting to see how RB Leipzig fair, being single handedly the most hated team in Germany right now.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2016 23:55]

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 20:52 - Jun 29 with 970 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 20:40 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

I don't think they are either, most English players are overrated, and pushed in to the limelight too early, often believing their own hype, a prime example being Raheem Sterling. I also think that they are not coached properly at International level, playing in random systems, hurting their confidence before they even get on the pitch, playing football is tough in your own position, never mind in someone elses.

What a sad state of affairs it is, that technical ability is called boring, sums up the whole countries attitude towards football, that, I'm sure City will be called boring too, under Pep, like what happened at Bayern. Technical ability is what football is all about, defining natural ability, each league has its own style. The Bundesliga is more focused on build up play from the back, and the coaching is different, players needing to be comfortable on the ball for longer. It is a completely different style to the Premier league, a slower pace, compared to the 100mph kick and rush style in the PL, although that being one of the reasons it is entertaining to watch, if not always the best quality.

Teams like Bayern and Dortmund are in a different league to the rest, but there are teams such as Gladbach and Leverkusen pushing behind them, even "smaller" teams like Mainz and Hertha Berlin, interesting to see how RB Leipzig fair, being single handedly the most hated team in Germany right now.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2016 23:55]

Which PL teams play 'kick & rush'?

England v Iceland tonight on 23:18 - Jun 29 with 884 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 15:29 - Jun 29 by fitzochris

Iceland did well coping with Walker, not allowing him any space to get in behind them, holding their ground and limiting Englands play down the right.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 23:21 - Jun 29 with 881 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 20:52 - Jun 29 by TVOS1907

Which PL teams play 'kick & rush'?

Tis the english way, kick it up to the big guy, Stoke perfected it for years.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 23:24 - Jun 29 with 879 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 23:21 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

Tis the english way, kick it up to the big guy, Stoke perfected it for years.

Maybe under Pulis, but he left a few years ago.

Which other teams?

England v Iceland tonight on 23:37 - Jun 29 with 873 viewsShun

I don't know of any Premier League team that plays 'kick and rush' either.
I'm also interested to know why OD thinks the England players are 'terrified' by the pressure as soon as a tournament starts.

Why are Leipzig universally hated in Deutschland?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 23:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024