Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Iceland tonight 11:28 - Jun 20 with 22905 viewsaleanddale

Roy is making changes tonight.

Is that a good thing? I think so.

Vital we match or better the Wales result. It would be great to go into the last 16 top of the group and a game against a 3rd place finisher for a knock out game for a QF place in the comp.

QF a minimum aim now - then 3 games from euro glory!

This is England though.... Sure to be some concern at some point tonight!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 5:59]
England v Slovakia tonight on 08:45 - Jun 21 with 3094 viewsdingdangblue

1st or 2nd doesn't really matter to me, infact we may end up playing Hungary and Wales playing Croatia. After that its France instead of Belgium had we come top, then Germany in the Semi as opposed to Spain - all tough games either way. Its just a real shame Harry Kane is burnt out and so obviously not firing. Had he been his usual self I'm sure we would have finished more of the chances created. Knockout now - and England have NEVER won a knockout game at the EURO's! (discounting the 0-0 penalty win v Spain in 96).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England v Slovakia tonight on 09:28 - Jun 21 with 3039 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 22:35 - Jun 20 by KenBoon

Very average, very ordinary side. Slovakia didn't need to park the Bus because we rarely did anything creative. No world class player or anyone near world class. Even at our shittest we always had one or two legit world class players in their positions. I cannot understand why Wales played as negatively as they did against us. They've got the best player in the tournament and plenty of other good players.

We've got lucky with our Round of 16 tie whoever it is. Wales might end up with Croatia.

Harsh - we've controlled all 3 games and had we had a centre forward on form ( Harry Kane) I'm sure we'd have topped the group (not that it matters). Wales were rubbish against us because we didn't let them play - we played them off the pitch but for Bale's lucky strike. Really looking forward to the knockout stages now and seeing how we do against teams who want to attack us and win a game. Dier, Alli, Walker and Lallana have impressed. And Rooney should play all the games from now on. Just need Kane to get out of his mini slump.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

England v Slovakia tonight on 09:35 - Jun 21 with 3030 viewsParkinsGimp

I am biased but crying out for Noble and Carroll last night. Seriously though the likes of Henderson, Sterling Lallana are not good enough and despite Sturridge being a decent forward he's not fit same as Wiltshire. Woy has taken too many chances with injured/not match fit players.
We are supposed to be excellent up front and dodgy at the back but last night we had no cutting edge , though if we are pressured more at the back by an attacking team we may concede but could create more space up front.
England v Slovakia tonight on 11:00 - Jun 21 with 2949 viewspioneer

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:45 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

1st or 2nd doesn't really matter to me, infact we may end up playing Hungary and Wales playing Croatia. After that its France instead of Belgium had we come top, then Germany in the Semi as opposed to Spain - all tough games either way. Its just a real shame Harry Kane is burnt out and so obviously not firing. Had he been his usual self I'm sure we would have finished more of the chances created. Knockout now - and England have NEVER won a knockout game at the EURO's! (discounting the 0-0 penalty win v Spain in 96).

I hope we have practised penalties. We now have a record of 1 win (by an injury time goal) in our last 6 tournament games. I think it should have been high priority to avoid the prospect of a paris QF v France (followed by expected SF v Germany.

so he has a great record in the qualifiers...is that something to shout about?
England v Slovakia tonight on 11:43 - Jun 21 with 2910 viewsfitzochris

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:00 - Jun 21 by pioneer

I hope we have practised penalties. We now have a record of 1 win (by an injury time goal) in our last 6 tournament games. I think it should have been high priority to avoid the prospect of a paris QF v France (followed by expected SF v Germany.

so he has a great record in the qualifiers...is that something to shout about?

I’m not necessarily defending Hodgson here, but had we won the group there was a very real possibility of facing Croatia. Going off what I’ve seen so far in the tournament, I would back their midfield against ours. We mightn’t have got past the Round of 16.

We still mightn’t. There is a very real prospect that the team we face from Group F will approach the game exactly as Slovakia did in the hope of nicking a goal on the counter or taking us to penalties.

The prospect of France and Germany is still a long way off as far as I’m concerned.

Even so, if we want to win the thing, we will have to dispatch such teams regardless — not that I’m saying I think we’re good enough to do so.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:51 - Jun 21 with 2896 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:43 - Jun 21 by fitzochris

I’m not necessarily defending Hodgson here, but had we won the group there was a very real possibility of facing Croatia. Going off what I’ve seen so far in the tournament, I would back their midfield against ours. We mightn’t have got past the Round of 16.

We still mightn’t. There is a very real prospect that the team we face from Group F will approach the game exactly as Slovakia did in the hope of nicking a goal on the counter or taking us to penalties.

The prospect of France and Germany is still a long way off as far as I’m concerned.

Even so, if we want to win the thing, we will have to dispatch such teams regardless — not that I’m saying I think we’re good enough to do so.

In all 3 games we have kept the ball and had some cracking attacking moves (albeit against 3 poor teams +Bale) . Yes we are crying out for a finisher in the box but hopefully this will come. You certainly dont need to be great to go far in a Euro's (Czech, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Italy) have proved this. Maybe our luck will change - it is due!!!

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:53 - Jun 21 with 2888 viewsD_Alien

As others have said, it'll be interesting to see what happens in "proper" games, when teams with quality come out to try and win the game.

We could see some classic, career-defining encounters, when the group games become irrelevant. If we do get Hungary/Iceland/Austria in the round of 16 that'll give us a better chance of progression than if we'd finished top; and after that, we should welcome a quarter final against France. The pressure on the hosts would be enormous, and looking at the composition of their team, it's players our lads play against week in week out. I'd seriously fancy our chances.

Was Hodgson right to rest some players and give others game time? It made for a frustrating watch last night, but it could prove a blessing in disguise.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:00 - Jun 21 with 2880 viewsfitzochris

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:51 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

In all 3 games we have kept the ball and had some cracking attacking moves (albeit against 3 poor teams +Bale) . Yes we are crying out for a finisher in the box but hopefully this will come. You certainly dont need to be great to go far in a Euro's (Czech, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Italy) have proved this. Maybe our luck will change - it is due!!!

I agree that luck plays an integral part in touraments such as these.

I just feel our midfield hasn't been tested yet, as the opposition have been content to sit in their own half. It would be interesting to see what happens when we come up against a side whose midfield is intent on bossing the game.

As has been said, there is no point lauding possession when the other team is intent on not having any.

In many ways, being drawn against an Iceland could be just as counter-productive as the Slovakia game. This is where the luck element comes in, I guess. Should we manage to get a goal, then they'll have no alternative but to come out and have a go. It's getting the goal that's key.

Login to get fewer ads

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:10 - Jun 21 with 2864 viewslurker

Had Hodgson been in charge of Wales and Coleman in charge of England last night the results of each game would have been a lot different, I am sure.

Fair enough, the players may not be up to winning the tournament but overall the ultimate reason for our impending exit will be the conservative approach of Roy Hodgson.

For me, the team selection confirmed the fact that the coach would have been happy with 2nd or even 3rd place and simple progression to the knockout stages, and anything else was a bonus. Resting so many key players after the momentum gained from the win over Wales sent out the wrong message - especially with qualification not 100% assured!

Yes, France rested a couple of key players and no doubt Spain and Italy will do the same. However, they are guaranteed qualification - and as likely group winners barring very unlikely scenarios panning out.

Honestly, I look at the England team sometimes and wonder why the FA continue to appoint coaches with such conservative attitudes and chess-game tactical obsessions time after time, when these aspects ultimately shine a light on the technical limitations of the footballers our nation currently produces.

They need somebody like a Keith Hill! Oh and I hate the diamond formation!
[Post edited 21 Jun 2016 12:12]
England v Slovakia tonight on 12:29 - Jun 21 with 2830 viewselectricblue

I would like to see Neville given the boot tbh and his place taken by Hoddle...
Hoddle would be ideal.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:37 - Jun 21 with 2817 viewsfitzochris

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:29 - Jun 21 by electricblue

I would like to see Neville given the boot tbh and his place taken by Hoddle...
Hoddle would be ideal.....

Why not get Terry Venables back?

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:49 - Jun 21 with 2794 viewsJimmyRustler

Defoe would have snapshotted his way to about 3 goals already against the teams we've played. He's exactly what we're missing up front IMO
England v Slovakia tonight on 13:28 - Jun 21 with 2751 viewsmidlandsdale

Maybe we need an Aussie in charge, seems to be working in Cricket & Rugby!
England v Slovakia tonight on 14:08 - Jun 21 with 2705 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:10 - Jun 21 by lurker

Had Hodgson been in charge of Wales and Coleman in charge of England last night the results of each game would have been a lot different, I am sure.

Fair enough, the players may not be up to winning the tournament but overall the ultimate reason for our impending exit will be the conservative approach of Roy Hodgson.

For me, the team selection confirmed the fact that the coach would have been happy with 2nd or even 3rd place and simple progression to the knockout stages, and anything else was a bonus. Resting so many key players after the momentum gained from the win over Wales sent out the wrong message - especially with qualification not 100% assured!

Yes, France rested a couple of key players and no doubt Spain and Italy will do the same. However, they are guaranteed qualification - and as likely group winners barring very unlikely scenarios panning out.

Honestly, I look at the England team sometimes and wonder why the FA continue to appoint coaches with such conservative attitudes and chess-game tactical obsessions time after time, when these aspects ultimately shine a light on the technical limitations of the footballers our nation currently produces.

They need somebody like a Keith Hill! Oh and I hate the diamond formation!
[Post edited 21 Jun 2016 12:12]

I dont see the issue of finishing 1st or 2nd in our group? Its not like finishing 2nd has meant us playing a group winner?? We'll more likely play Hungary next Monday. Then once you get to the quarters they are all strong teams. As for the Hodgson / Coleman argument? They faced each other last week and Hodgson was positive and Coleman ultra negative?? England had already qualified before last night (4 points would have been enough for a best 3rd placed team) so Hodgson decided to shuffle his squad - with Vardy and Sturridge we should have scored at least one chance - not that it mattered - we are through. The tournament starts now.

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:13 - Jun 21 with 2688 viewsJamest1994

We have our best strikeforce in years, yet people still call for 6/7 goals a season Andy Carroll.

Our problem last night was a lack of composure in front of goal, not the lack of a big lump to hoof the ball up to.
England v Slovakia tonight on 15:30 - Jun 21 with 2491 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:13 - Jun 21 by Jamest1994

We have our best strikeforce in years, yet people still call for 6/7 goals a season Andy Carroll.

Our problem last night was a lack of composure in front of goal, not the lack of a big lump to hoof the ball up to.

Some of the 'fouls' the Spanish referee awarded for England defenders heading the ball Carroll wouldnt have stayed on the pitch!!
Kane needs to snap out of his slumber - I think he may start next game but he desperately needs a goal or something to happen for him - he certainly hasn't looked the same player we've seen these past 2 seasons for Tottenham.

England v Slovakia tonight on 16:21 - Jun 21 with 2441 viewsJamest1994

England v Slovakia tonight on 15:30 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

Some of the 'fouls' the Spanish referee awarded for England defenders heading the ball Carroll wouldnt have stayed on the pitch!!
Kane needs to snap out of his slumber - I think he may start next game but he desperately needs a goal or something to happen for him - he certainly hasn't looked the same player we've seen these past 2 seasons for Tottenham.

Kane could have been huge for us this tournament, still could be, but its not worked out so far.
I can see us starting with the team that finished against Wales, but with Lallana in for Rashford. It looked very promising but Hodgson decided against carrying on with this line up against Slovakia and we paid for it.
England v Slovakia tonight on 16:47 - Jun 21 with 2413 viewsJumeirahDale

TBH I think the whole tournament has been shocking in entertainment value - whether that's the form of the teams involved, or the format I can't say for sure, but I think it's the latter. Too many teams playing for draws knowing that 3 or 4 points could give them a shot of a spot in the last 16. I watched 3 Copa America games this last week, and every one of them was significantly more entertaining than anything I've seen from the Euros.
England v Slovakia tonight on 23:38 - Jun 21 with 2316 viewsdingdangblue

Spain's unexpected loss to Croatia has now made things incredibly difficult for England and it looks on paper that Wales half of the draw seems much much more straightforward. Belgium and Croatia as possible Quarter final/ Semi final opponent's in Wales half. France,Italy,Spain or Germany in England's.

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:32 - Jun 22 with 2228 viewsmingthemerciless

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:38 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

Spain's unexpected loss to Croatia has now made things incredibly difficult for England and it looks on paper that Wales half of the draw seems much much more straightforward. Belgium and Croatia as possible Quarter final/ Semi final opponent's in Wales half. France,Italy,Spain or Germany in England's.

Given the way we are playing I'd be surprised if we managed to beat any one of those teams.
England v Slovakia tonight on 08:50 - Jun 22 with 2211 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:32 - Jun 22 by mingthemerciless

Given the way we are playing I'd be surprised if we managed to beat any one of those teams.

One plus is Italy,Spain,Germany will knock each other out with only one progressing.

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:51 - Jun 22 with 2211 viewsDaleiLama

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:28 - Jun 21 by midlandsdale

Maybe we need an Aussie in charge, seems to be working in Cricket & Rugby!

............ Rolf Harris has ruled himself out. That appointment would leave too bad a small.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1308785/jailed-paedo-rolf-harris-stinks-ou

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

England v Slovakia tonight on 09:22 - Jun 22 with 2195 viewsD_Alien

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:51 - Jun 22 by DaleiLama

............ Rolf Harris has ruled himself out. That appointment would leave too bad a small.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1308785/jailed-paedo-rolf-harris-stinks-ou

There's plenty of flatulence in this thread from England fans worrying because we might have to face France/Germany/Italy before the final (FFS!)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Slovakia tonight on 10:10 - Jun 22 with 2153 viewsDaleiLama

England v Slovakia tonight on 09:22 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

There's plenty of flatulence in this thread from England fans worrying because we might have to face France/Germany/Italy before the final (FFS!)

Draw at the end of 120 and out on pens whoever we face, so why worry?

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

(Probably should have added a winky face in case anyone thinks I am being anti-patriotic!?!)
[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 10:12]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

England v Slovakia tonight on 10:12 - Jun 22 with 2149 viewsAtThePeake

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:38 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

And that's why you have to try and win the group.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024