Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Iceland tonight 11:28 - Jun 20 with 22910 viewsaleanddale

Roy is making changes tonight.

Is that a good thing? I think so.

Vital we match or better the Wales result. It would be great to go into the last 16 top of the group and a game against a 3rd place finisher for a knock out game for a QF place in the comp.

QF a minimum aim now - then 3 games from euro glory!

This is England though.... Sure to be some concern at some point tonight!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 5:59]
England v Slovakia tonight on 11:34 - Jun 22 with 2462 viewsD_Alien

Let me put it another way then...

Being eliminated by France/Germany/Italy in a quarter or semi-final is a lot easier to take than being eliminated by Belgium or Croatia!

I'm not saying that'll happen, just that it's ridiculous to start getting windy about who we play in the later knockout stages.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:58 - Jun 22 with 2414 viewsParkinsGimp

I think Belgium & Croatia look good as outside bets tbh.
We have the likes of Ray Wilkins with classic comments like " Harry Kane wouldnt be happy at being tugged off at half time" oh dear... then saying We should be beating the likes of Hungary and Austria, to be fair Ray we should also be beating Russia and Slovakia , but lets see how the tournament heats up now.
England v Slovakia tonight on 12:13 - Jun 22 with 2399 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 10:12 - Jun 22 by AtThePeake

And that's why you have to try and win the group.

Like Spain ? Italy won their group and its made their progress a whole lot harder .

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:14 - Jun 22 with 2329 viewsBrierls

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:13 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

Like Spain ? Italy won their group and its made their progress a whole lot harder .

I must be mad, not to mention optimistic...

Me and mate have just bought tickets for the last 8 game at Stade De France, booked flights and accom

Best case scenario is England vs France. Worst case don't bear thinking about.
England v Slovakia tonight on 13:19 - Jun 22 with 2320 viewsDaleiLama

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:14 - Jun 22 by Brierls

Me and mate have just bought tickets for the last 8 game at Stade De France, booked flights and accom

Tip of the cap to your optimism. Hope the lads bring home le bacon and make it to the QF and you have a great time at the game.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:40 - Jun 22 with 2296 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:14 - Jun 22 by Brierls

Best case scenario would be England v N.Ire

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:18 - Jun 22 with 2266 viewsmingthemerciless

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:34 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

Let me put it another way then...

Being eliminated by France/Germany/Italy in a quarter or semi-final is a lot easier to take than being eliminated by Belgium or Croatia!

I'm not saying that'll happen, just that it's ridiculous to start getting windy about who we play in the later knockout stages.

I would have thought Belgium have the most talented squad in the competition. If they click ( a big if seeing they seem to have a bigger attitude problem than the Dutch ) they could beat anybody on the day.
England v Slovakia tonight on 14:24 - Jun 22 with 2260 viewsBrierls

England v Slovakia tonight on 13:40 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

Best case scenario would be England v N.Ire

That's a fair point
Login to get fewer ads

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:43 - Jun 22 with 2234 viewsD_Alien

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:18 - Jun 22 by mingthemerciless

I would have thought Belgium have the most talented squad in the competition. If they click ( a big if seeing they seem to have a bigger attitude problem than the Dutch ) they could beat anybody on the day.

That's what I would've thought, too

[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 14:47]

England v Slovakia tonight on 15:13 - Jun 22 with 2199 viewsdingdangblue

Belgium still have work to do - Sweden will be no pushovers and need a win to progress. In the other game Italy are set to rest the whole team against Ireland who surely wont have a better chance of beating them - the way this tournament has surprised so far expect a few twists.

England v Slovakia tonight on 17:02 - Jun 22 with 2146 viewsAtThePeake

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:13 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

It's unfortunate but it's an anomaly. 9 times out of 10 if you win the group you get an easier route forward and that would've been the case had we won the group.

This shouldn't even be a discussion - how the bloody hell have we not won a group including Russia, Slovakia and Wales?!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 17:30]

Tangled up in blue.

England v Slovakia tonight on 17:31 - Jun 22 with 2123 viewsfitzochris

England v Slovakia tonight on 17:02 - Jun 22 by AtThePeake

It's unfortunate but it's an anomaly. 9 times out of 10 if you win the group you get an easier route forward and that would've been the case had we won the group.

This shouldn't even be a discussion - how the bloody hell have we not won a group including Russia, Slovakia and Wales?!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 17:30]

A combination of the manager not knowing his best 11 or system and an inability to break down teams playing with an 11-man defence.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

England v Slovakia tonight on 17:32 - Jun 22 with 2121 viewsmacro

Iceland! As it stands
England v Slovakia tonight on 19:34 - Jun 22 with 2064 viewsBrierls

Don't want to annoy the FG's, but I'm much happier facing Iceland than Portugal. Ronaldo has just hit goalscoring form and he'd have torn us a new one.

I was in a foul mood driving home listening the commentary of Portugal vs Hungary, hearing how they were playing out the draw in the final 10 mins. Then nearly crashed the car when it came through that Iceland had scored!!!
England v Slovakia tonight on 19:47 - Jun 22 with 2050 viewsColDale

England v Slovakia tonight on 19:34 - Jun 22 by Brierls

Don't want to annoy the FG's, but I'm much happier facing Iceland than Portugal. Ronaldo has just hit goalscoring form and he'd have torn us a new one.

I was in a foul mood driving home listening the commentary of Portugal vs Hungary, hearing how they were playing out the draw in the final 10 mins. Then nearly crashed the car when it came through that Iceland had scored!!!

the amount of stick that Ronaldo has received from our media and social media since Euro 2016 had made it look an absolute certainty that we'd be witnessing that wink again next Monday evening. A very lucky escape.
England v Slovakia tonight on 21:58 - Jun 22 with 1963 views442Dale

Wales have a real chance of getting to the final. They have one of the two genuine world class matchwinners in the tournament. And by virtue of being in the same half of the draw, the same applies to Portugal.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 21:59]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

England v Slovakia tonight on 22:58 - Jun 22 with 1901 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 21:58 - Jun 22 by 442Dale

Wales have a real chance of getting to the final. They have one of the two genuine world class matchwinners in the tournament. And by virtue of being in the same half of the draw, the same applies to Portugal.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 21:59]

Genuinely think the draw is looking excellent now, Portugal v Croatia will see a threat go out, same with Spain v Italy then the winner v Germany. Eire will cause France problems if they play like tonight and with 'that' historic game a few years ago I wouldn't put it past them to cause a shock. Just upto England now to start putting an end product to our decent play - Kane really is the missing part of the jigsaw - if he was showing anything like his usual form we'd be a serious contender - hope he comes good next Monday night. Lets face it, its a wonderful opportunity to build some momentum.

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:17 - Jun 22 with 1880 viewsD_Alien

England v Slovakia tonight on 22:58 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

Genuinely think the draw is looking excellent now, Portugal v Croatia will see a threat go out, same with Spain v Italy then the winner v Germany. Eire will cause France problems if they play like tonight and with 'that' historic game a few years ago I wouldn't put it past them to cause a shock. Just upto England now to start putting an end product to our decent play - Kane really is the missing part of the jigsaw - if he was showing anything like his usual form we'd be a serious contender - hope he comes good next Monday night. Lets face it, its a wonderful opportunity to build some momentum.

Agree

The real tournament is now ready to begin

The group stage is always just about getting through and testing the water, getting players used to match conditions at this rarified level. That's primarily, I believe, why Roy made the changes

What matters now is:

1) Believing you're good enough

I think we have that belief

2) Keeping keys players fit

For the first time since 2004, Rooney is firing on all cylinders. Our attacking fullbacks have shown they can make a difference at the highest level. Further reasons for the changes in our final game

3) A bit of good luck

Who knows? But we deserve it

The tournament starts here

[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 23:29]

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:55 - Jun 22 with 1835 viewsdingdangblue

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:17 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

Agree

The real tournament is now ready to begin

The group stage is always just about getting through and testing the water, getting players used to match conditions at this rarified level. That's primarily, I believe, why Roy made the changes

What matters now is:

1) Believing you're good enough

I think we have that belief

2) Keeping keys players fit

For the first time since 2004, Rooney is firing on all cylinders. Our attacking fullbacks have shown they can make a difference at the highest level. Further reasons for the changes in our final game

3) A bit of good luck

Who knows? But we deserve it

The tournament starts here

[Post edited 22 Jun 2016 23:29]

I think our luck started to change with that Iceland goal.

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:34 - Jun 23 with 1747 viewsfitzochris

England v Slovakia tonight on 23:55 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

I think our luck started to change with that Iceland goal.

I sincerely hope so.

It's bloody frustrating watching England at the minute - coasting qualification only to look like a different team in the tournament proper.

I don't believe Roy knows his best 11 or system. That's no real criticism, as a number of this squad has only come into the reckoning in the past few months and we’ve not had to deal with 11-man defences in the friendlies.

He's tried a few things in the group stages and they haven't quite come off. Let's not get bogged down by the fact we've had tons of possession, because the teams we have played against have given it to us.

The areas of the pitch that have stood out for me are the full backs and the sitting midfielder, Eric Dier. Wow. What a player. It's surprising, though, because I expected to be eulogising about our forwards during this tournament. They now need to click and they need to click fast.

Yes, it's great we got Iceland instead of Portugal (as much a bogey side in tournaments as Germany these days), but Iceland bring their own problems. The chief one being that they'll employ the same tactics we've struggled against thus far in the group stages.

When we’ve gone 4-3-3 we’ve looked disjointed and that’s probably because we don’t have any naturally wide forwards other than Raheem Sterling (who’s been poo for whatever reason). Thank God our full backs are so attack minded because that’s the only place our width is coming from at the minute.

Shoehorning Sturridge, Kane or Vardy on the outside of an attacking three doesn’t work either, as they all thrive on playing through the middle. So we need to either play with two of them in the middle, or one of them. I would trust Harry Kane to come out of his slumber and stick Sturridge next to him.

Rooney has impressed me in midfield, so I would have him in that no.10 role — but then that leaves the dilemma of where to put Dele Alli, as I believe he’s another one whose game suffers when played out wide. I’d rather have him out on the left than Sterling, though, and I guess Lallana on the right?

From there, the rest of the team takes care of itself with Dier, Walker, Rose, Smalling, Cahill and Hart.

If that 11, in that system, cannot break down Iceland, we don’t deserve to go any further anyway.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2016 9:14]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:28 - Jun 23 with 1640 viewsmingthemerciless

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:34 - Jun 23 by fitzochris

I sincerely hope so.

It's bloody frustrating watching England at the minute - coasting qualification only to look like a different team in the tournament proper.

I don't believe Roy knows his best 11 or system. That's no real criticism, as a number of this squad has only come into the reckoning in the past few months and we’ve not had to deal with 11-man defences in the friendlies.

He's tried a few things in the group stages and they haven't quite come off. Let's not get bogged down by the fact we've had tons of possession, because the teams we have played against have given it to us.

The areas of the pitch that have stood out for me are the full backs and the sitting midfielder, Eric Dier. Wow. What a player. It's surprising, though, because I expected to be eulogising about our forwards during this tournament. They now need to click and they need to click fast.

Yes, it's great we got Iceland instead of Portugal (as much a bogey side in tournaments as Germany these days), but Iceland bring their own problems. The chief one being that they'll employ the same tactics we've struggled against thus far in the group stages.

When we’ve gone 4-3-3 we’ve looked disjointed and that’s probably because we don’t have any naturally wide forwards other than Raheem Sterling (who’s been poo for whatever reason). Thank God our full backs are so attack minded because that’s the only place our width is coming from at the minute.

Shoehorning Sturridge, Kane or Vardy on the outside of an attacking three doesn’t work either, as they all thrive on playing through the middle. So we need to either play with two of them in the middle, or one of them. I would trust Harry Kane to come out of his slumber and stick Sturridge next to him.

Rooney has impressed me in midfield, so I would have him in that no.10 role — but then that leaves the dilemma of where to put Dele Alli, as I believe he’s another one whose game suffers when played out wide. I’d rather have him out on the left than Sterling, though, and I guess Lallana on the right?

From there, the rest of the team takes care of itself with Dier, Walker, Rose, Smalling, Cahill and Hart.

If that 11, in that system, cannot break down Iceland, we don’t deserve to go any further anyway.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2016 9:14]

There's no real natural balance in our team. Players are being put into positions that don't really suit them or other players in the team. Relying on full backs to provide our attacking threat out wide will only take you so far.

As you say Iceland will play in the same style as the other teams we've encountered so far.
England v Slovakia tonight on 12:43 - Jun 23 with 1582 viewsAtThePeake

England v Slovakia tonight on 22:58 - Jun 22 by dingdangblue

One of these teams will reach the Euro 2016 final:

Switzerland
Poland
Croatia
Portugal
Wales
Northern Ireland
Hungary
Belgium

We're in the wrong side of the draw make no mistake about that.

Tangled up in blue.

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:49 - Jun 23 with 1498 viewsDaleiLama

England v Slovakia tonight on 11:28 - Jun 23 by mingthemerciless

There's no real natural balance in our team. Players are being put into positions that don't really suit them or other players in the team. Relying on full backs to provide our attacking threat out wide will only take you so far.

As you say Iceland will play in the same style as the other teams we've encountered so far.

In view of our opponent, I just hope we don't freeze when it comes to sudden death.

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:30 - Jun 24 with 1303 viewsroccydaleian

England v Slovakia tonight on 14:49 - Jun 23 by DaleiLama

In view of our opponent, I just hope we don't freeze when it comes to sudden death.

Great excuse for Woy now if we lose on Monday, "well Bwitain wanted us out of Europe"
England v Slovakia tonight on 11:56 - Jun 24 with 1264 viewsDaleiLama

England v Slovakia tonight on 08:30 - Jun 24 by roccydaleian

Great excuse for Woy now if we lose on Monday, "well Bwitain wanted us out of Europe"

We're going home,
We're going home,
We're taking our football and
We're going home?

(you know the tune)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024