Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU Referendum Petition 20:37 - Jun 25 with 8851 viewsisitme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

What a joke.

If they got their second referendum and the decision did not go their way would they want a third and four until they did get the result they wanted?
EU Referendum Petition on 20:39 - Jun 25 with 5226 views1mark1

This petition was started before the outcome was known.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

EU Referendum Petition on 20:47 - Jun 25 with 5197 viewsisitme

EU Referendum Petition on 20:39 - Jun 25 by 1mark1

This petition was started before the outcome was known.

But got many many more signatures after the referendum did not go the way they wanted.Either people believe in democracy or they don't? If they don't there are many countries that have a similar view that they might be more comfortable living in.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 20:51]
EU Referendum Petition on 20:55 - Jun 25 with 5176 views1mark1

EU Referendum Petition on 20:47 - Jun 25 by isitme

But got many many more signatures after the referendum did not go the way they wanted.Either people believe in democracy or they don't? If they don't there are many countries that have a similar view that they might be more comfortable living in.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 20:51]

I have no idea how many signatures there was beforehand, however, the petition had been shared around previously by people who I know by both sides, and was in line with what Nigel Farage was saying not so long back.

In a democracy people have the right to be unhappy with the results of elections and referendums and express those opinions, whether you, I or anyone like it or not, especially if they are tax payers, like everyone is who lives here.

EU Referendum Petition on 21:02 - Jun 25 with 5155 viewsisitme

EU Referendum Petition on 20:55 - Jun 25 by 1mark1

I have no idea how many signatures there was beforehand, however, the petition had been shared around previously by people who I know by both sides, and was in line with what Nigel Farage was saying not so long back.

In a democracy people have the right to be unhappy with the results of elections and referendums and express those opinions, whether you, I or anyone like it or not, especially if they are tax payers, like everyone is who lives here.

I agree they have the right to be unhappy, but they have to accept that their views are in the minority of people who voted. I didn't vote for our esteemed MP at the last election but I had to accept the decision.

People who have never worked are not tax payers. Any VAT etc they may 'pay' is with others' income.
EU Referendum Petition on 21:17 - Jun 25 with 5123 views1mark1

EU Referendum Petition on 21:02 - Jun 25 by isitme

I agree they have the right to be unhappy, but they have to accept that their views are in the minority of people who voted. I didn't vote for our esteemed MP at the last election but I had to accept the decision.

People who have never worked are not tax payers. Any VAT etc they may 'pay' is with others' income.

And those of us who didn't vote leave, are excepting the decision, just that some, who have a right to, have added their names to an existing petition. Shame they didn't when it had started up, though personally I would not have put the bar so high at 60%.

Many organisations when having votes for big rule changes, have a bar of two thirds majority, even parliament would have to have a two thirds majority to allow for the ending of the current government on a motion of no confidence.

As far as the MP, like the vast majority of MPs and councillors , he was elected on less than half of the voters , maybe it's time to have some kind of system that all of our votes count in elections.

EU Referendum Petition on 21:24 - Jun 25 with 5106 viewsTalkingSutty

EU Referendum Petition on 21:02 - Jun 25 by isitme

Yep, the majority of voters wanted out that's the bottom line. I actually feel sorry for the British public on this one, the in and out campaigners just indulged themselves in a slanging match in an attempt to score points, it was like a circus at times.

At no point did it ever enter their heads that maybe a large percentage of the voter might require some balanced guidance on the pros and cons of what they are actually voting on ( there are pros and cons). There was plenty of scaremongering and mud throwing but no real help for those with very little political knowledge ( majority of voters?). The most important vote in our lifetimes and a lot of people just had to use their gut instinct and take a punt. Education is a fine thing.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 21:28]
EU Referendum Petition on 21:27 - Jun 25 with 5099 viewsKenBoon

There shouldn't have been one in the first place. Johnson no more wants to leave the EU as he wants to build lots of social housing. As much as I dislike the hipsters, their self pity at this result has some merit. The leave campaign was always built on dodgy statistics and promises, the main one was backed up on about 10 hours after polls closed and before the official results were announced... i'm not signing the petition though. That's tin pot.
EU Referendum Petition on 23:56 - Jun 25 with 4924 viewsD_Alien

It's an interesting one this. There's also a call (by a handful of MPs) for parliament to overturn the referendum result, or ignore it - as it has a right to do. Referenda aren't binding.

I've got a feeling there's a lot of water going to pass under the bridge in the next few weeks, before full-on negotiations start on the terms of our exit from the EU. I'm possibly in a minority in finding it quite refreshing for our democracy for all of these issues to be explored. Whatever comes out of this process, we'll be a different country.

It's the sort of thing that only happens every couple of centuries, but still in keeping with our long tradition:

Magna Carta, Henry VIII's break with Rome, the Glorious Revolution, Great Reforms Acts of the 19th century, and now Brexit. I'm proud to be British, we always seem to do these things first!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

EU Referendum Petition on 00:35 - Jun 26 with 4883 viewsFrog

Leave won, those who voted otherwise need to get over it.
EU Referendum Petition on 01:04 - Jun 26 with 4861 views442Dale

EU Referendum Petition on 00:35 - Jun 26 by Frog

Leave won, those who voted otherwise need to get over it.

Surely those who did vote otherwise can still contribute to the ongoing debate going forward? Especially as the uncertainty about what happens next is leading to that debate.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

EU Referendum Petition on 03:22 - Jun 26 with 4827 viewsYadHoDale

EU Referendum Petition on 01:04 - Jun 26 by 442Dale

Surely those who did vote otherwise can still contribute to the ongoing debate going forward? Especially as the uncertainty about what happens next is leading to that debate.

Absolutely.

However, throwing your toys out of the pram contributes nothing..
EU Referendum Petition on 07:55 - Jun 26 with 4783 viewsR17ALE

The left have always been really bad losers. We've had Kinnock (the old horrible one) once tell us from his high horse that we need to change the electorate.

We've had Blair (thank God there's only one) tell the Labour electorate to get a heart transplant.

We've had this on-line petition.

We've had loads of tv clips of "remainers" literally wailing woe is me in front of the cameras.

I'll tell you wet lefties something which you don't want to forget in a hurry. You don't know you're born being British. The day you were born British was the day you won first prize in the lottery of life. You can vote in private and in peace, regardless of gender or sexuality or colour. There's no uniformed bloke standing by a polling station holding a gun to ensure fair play like you see in certain African elections. You can just rock up, put your cross in a box and then rock off.

Millions have given their lives for you to have this luxury.

So accept democratic results or fook off to another country you ungrateful little shits.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

EU Referendum Petition on 07:57 - Jun 26 with 4779 viewsmingthemerciless

I thought at the time that just having a straight majority style poll was pretty foolish. Especially in light of all the planned strictures placed on Trade Union ballots by this Government.

Given the absolutely enormous repercussions that are involved I would have expected a poll where there would have to be a majority of 55 to 60 % of those voting to leave.

Too late now though. I wonder if Johnson and Gove have signed the petition ? They obviously didn't expect to win and now they haven't a clue what to do next.
EU Referendum Petition on 08:12 - Jun 26 with 4770 viewsEllGazzell

EU Referendum Petition on 07:55 - Jun 26 by R17ALE

The left have always been really bad losers. We've had Kinnock (the old horrible one) once tell us from his high horse that we need to change the electorate.

We've had Blair (thank God there's only one) tell the Labour electorate to get a heart transplant.

We've had loads of tv clips of "remainers" literally wailing woe is me in front of the cameras.

I'll tell you wet lefties something which you don't want to forget in a hurry. You don't know you're born being British. The day you were born British was the day you won first prize in the lottery of life. You can vote in private and in peace, regardless of gender or sexuality or colour. There's no uniformed bloke standing by a polling station holding a gun to ensure fair play like you see in certain African elections. You can just rock up, put your cross in a box and then rock off.

So accept democratic results or fook off to another country you ungrateful little shits.

And if you're under 40, with a brain, I suggest you fook off rather quickly while you still can.

After that it will like experiencing locked-in-syndrome.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

EU Referendum Petition on 08:16 - Jun 26 with 4763 viewsR17ALE

EU Referendum Petition on 08:12 - Jun 26 by EllGazzell

And if you're under 40, with a brain, I suggest you fook off rather quickly while you still can.

After that it will like experiencing locked-in-syndrome.

And where do you suggest the U40's with a brain should go?

And by your rationale, all those who are U40 and have come here must be brain dead?

I'd reply to your last line too but it still doesn't actually make sense.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

EU Referendum Petition on 08:21 - Jun 26 with 4759 viewsmingthemerciless

You may get to vote in private but you don't vote in a secret ballot. Your voting slip can be easily cross referenced with the electoral role. The " Security Services" have monitored the votes for certain parties in the past and may still be doing so now.
EU Referendum Petition on 08:23 - Jun 26 with 4758 viewsEllGazzell

EU Referendum Petition on 08:16 - Jun 26 by R17ALE

And where do you suggest the U40's with a brain should go?

And by your rationale, all those who are U40 and have come here must be brain dead?

I'd reply to your last line too but it still doesn't actually make sense.

East

Not at all

Good

EU Referendum Petition on 08:47 - Jun 26 with 4723 viewsroccydaleian

Mm! Gazzell sounds to me like a SJW.....
EU Referendum Petition on 08:57 - Jun 26 with 4705 viewssince58

EU Referendum Petition on 08:23 - Jun 26 by EllGazzell

East

Not at all

Good

Are you in the east?
If not when are you going.?
EU Referendum Petition on 09:10 - Jun 26 with 4685 viewsTalkingSutty

Well said. I wish we could moth ball these threads and resurrect them in maybe 5 or 10 years time. The EU will be a different animal then and gut feeling ( that phrase again) tells me that we will look back and thank our lucky stars that we get the hell out of it when we did. Several Countries within the Union are on the verge of financial implosion and when that happens, which it will, get ready for the fall out then.

The more I think about it the more I think we have made the right decision, obviously it's not a certainty and only time will reveal who was right or wrong. The immigration issue is just one of the arguments,but it's the financial instability of some of the EU members which made me head for the exit. Short term pain for long term gain!!
EU Referendum Petition on 09:14 - Jun 26 with 4679 viewsColDale

Fair points but on Thursday when the world and his wife were expecting a remain result (both Farage and Johnson had conceded defeat at approx 10pm on Thursday), the conspiracy theories were in full swing. One had it that It was never going to be a democratic result due to pencils being used and not pens. Another had it that because ID wasn't being used, there would be widespread corruption. And unclaimed voting slips would be put in the ballot box after close of play. All theories pushed by the Brexit campaign as why they wouldn't win. I don't believe there should be a second ballot but those claiming there should be are doing so because of outright lies rather than something out of an X Files episode.
EU Referendum Petition on 09:28 - Jun 26 with 4657 viewsEllGazzell

EU Referendum Petition on 08:57 - Jun 26 by since58

Are you in the east?
If not when are you going.?

Yes, I am East.

EU Referendum Petition on 09:36 - Jun 26 with 4635 viewssince58

EU Referendum Petition on 09:28 - Jun 26 by EllGazzell

Yes, I am East.

Get ready to put a load of your mates up then.
EU Referendum Petition on 09:44 - Jun 26 with 4617 views1mark1

There are many countries around the world in which people can vote freely, and in many of those they can actually vote in a way their vote always counts, and also they can vote for ALL levels of government, that run their lives. That right to vote was fought for by the likes of the Suffragettes, Trade Unions, and other groups that certainly were not right wingers. None of the rights to votes were given up lightly by the establishment, and even now they won't allow 16!and 17 year olds have the vote. Up to late 60s, U21s couldn't vote.

Millions did die for our liberty, mainly from the working classes, and millions from the Asian sub continent, from the Commonwealth , and millions from the Soviet Union and elsewhere. The armed forces that fought WW2 overwhelmingly voted for the great Labour government of 1945, and among other things demanded things like the NHS,mand an end to war. They also fought for the right for people to have freedom of speech, and many use those freedoms, both left and right, to demonstrate against left and right , on all sorts of issues.

Just one thing, no one can seriously say that Kinnock and Blair were from the left. Corbyn, apart from Michael Foot, has been the only leader of the left/socialist of the LP, since Harold Wilson, and even his policies are no more to the left than that carried out by the governments of the late 40s, 50s, 60s and up to 1976, when the first monetarist PM, James Callaghan came in.

As far as whinging about the referendum, I personally think it's a waste of time. I believe we now should carry out the wishes of the people, and have an all party team of politicians and civil servants lead start the process of negotiations for us to leave the EU. Personally like I have said elsewhere, Cameron should have led that, invoking Article 50, after he had assembled a team, that included both sides of the referendum debate.

Also rather than whinge, I follow the mantra of Trade Unions in relation to the great American Trade Unionist, Joe Hill that said, "Don't mourn, organize!".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_mourn,_organize!

[Post edited 26 Jun 2016 10:20]

EU Referendum Petition on 09:51 - Jun 26 with 4601 viewsEllGazzell

EU Referendum Petition on 09:36 - Jun 26 by since58

Get ready to put a load of your mates up then.

Hehehe, you're funny.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024