Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. 07:28 - Jun 28 with 33227 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Only speculation but a few things have happened, in particular in the Conservative Party, that makes me think that the appetite for Brexit has reduced significantly.

Cameron's decision not to invoke Article 50 immediately has thrown the leavers into turmoil as it is now down to one of them to do the ultimate. It will now be the responsibility of the new PM to invoke Articld 50, a move nobody intended, or wants, to make. IDS and Gove all noted by their absence and Boris looked pale as milk yesterday with the realisation that Merkel et al have said a firm no to negotiations prior to invoking Article 50. This means the future PM will have nothing to 'sell' to the country or the markets prior to invoking Article 50. They will not be able to have one piece of legislation or even negotiation in their hands re 50% of UK trade. It would be like pushing an economic nuclear bomb if a new PM was to invoke Article 50 in such a situation as market confidence would collapse and multinationals up sticks. This will be an even more difficult act to undertake if the UK is in recession, which even the leavers acknowledge may very well be the case. Indeed, Boris has come out attempting to ease fears by stating that the UK remains very much at the heart of Europe and nothing much will change with the ultimate irony being that if we are to negotiate access to the single market then the terms of that negotiations will be very much like what we have already. Merkel et al permitting.

There are now rumours that top people in the Tories including some leavers and whips are sufficiently spooked enough to not back Boris or another leave candidate.

Could be wrong but expect stalemate. EU will call UK bluff and UK will be unwilling to do the ultimate deed because they will not be able to get the deals they so desperately want. Fascinating times.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:35]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 08:49 - Jun 28 with 11382 viewsmingthemerciless

That's my reading of the situation also. There's going to be a lot of unhappy people in the future. Worrying times.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:06 - Jun 28 with 11350 viewsKenBoon

I don't think leaving was ever part of the plan but they gone f**ked it up. It's so bad that the England national team's abject failure cannot get on the first 10 minutes of news bulletins. That's the scariest thing about all of this.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:26 - Jun 28 with 11305 viewsMoonyDale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:06 - Jun 28 by KenBoon

I don't think leaving was ever part of the plan but they gone f**ked it up. It's so bad that the England national team's abject failure cannot get on the first 10 minutes of news bulletins. That's the scariest thing about all of this.

My thoughts exactly, there's something just not quite right about this whole episode. Bouncy Castle Boris never thought we would leave and is now sh1tting himself along with his mates.

I still don't think this will happen and every trick in the book will be played to delay or postpone completely our exit,

Watching the remainers yesterday and I even felt sorry for Georgie boy, he looked ashen faced facing the cameras and to be honest the only Tory who looked to be enjoying all this was Cameron ......

There's a lot to be played out yet and the exit side shouldn't be crowing to loudly just yet...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:58 - Jun 28 with 11276 viewsD_Alien

I posted in the EU Referendum Petition thread that there'd be a lot of water passing under the bridge over the next few weeks. I've no doubt there will be some who'd like to backtrack on the result - and that Boris Johnson is one of them.

There's no crowing, btw, (apart from UKIPers) just a determination to see the result through and get on with the task. Any pre-conceived plan would be a mistake, and those conducting negotiations need to keep their cards close to their chest to ensure maximum leverage of the natural advantages our country has as a trading nation.

Nothing would surprise me, but if the political class try to backtrack it won't be unchallenged, and I mean on the streets.

What I find amusing is the calls for the political class to backtrack from people who'd normally be the first to call them for doing so!

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 10:03]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 10:12 - Jun 28 with 11232 viewsMoonyDale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:58 - Jun 28 by D_Alien

I posted in the EU Referendum Petition thread that there'd be a lot of water passing under the bridge over the next few weeks. I've no doubt there will be some who'd like to backtrack on the result - and that Boris Johnson is one of them.

There's no crowing, btw, (apart from UKIPers) just a determination to see the result through and get on with the task. Any pre-conceived plan would be a mistake, and those conducting negotiations need to keep their cards close to their chest to ensure maximum leverage of the natural advantages our country has as a trading nation.

Nothing would surprise me, but if the political class try to backtrack it won't be unchallenged, and I mean on the streets.

What I find amusing is the calls for the political class to backtrack from people who'd normally be the first to call them for doing so!

I for one wouldn't put anything past the politicians of any parties, and I agree there would be unrest on the streets if there is a move to ignore or rewrite the result...But I don't think the leaders give two hoots about the public and their views, as long as deals can be done to make their lives easier and bank accounts fuller then to hell with the rest of us.

Boris was sat at home with a huge grin on his face thinking ahhh well we are going to lose this vote but even then Cameron will have to go and I can move my arse into number 10, nothing will have changed and the nest feathering can continue apace.....

Even Nigel all but conceded before a vote was counted, since then each veiled promise about money, border controls and immigration have been hastily backtracked upon...There is no appetite from any of the leave side and they all look to be running scared.

No way should there be another vote, but if they can find a way of shoehorning one in there you can bet they will.

Even if it's in the guise of a general election...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 10:21 - Jun 28 with 11224 viewsrochdalefan9

I think many people who voted for leave didn't expect to win but having done so we are now walking on strange ground and should expect teething problems.

Also we should take our time in leaving Europe and not be panicked into rushing into something which might not be right for us. It has taken a lot of courage to do this and Europe are panicking because other countries are thinking of following us.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:41 - Jun 28 with 11099 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:58 - Jun 28 by D_Alien

It's not a political class problem, it affects everyone in this country. We as a country have made a decision the consequences of which we have to live with and manage. The biggest issue is this. Everyone wants access to the single market, even UKIP do. The consequences of not having access to the single market are catastrophic, we all agree on that. The problem is that this access may not be achievable, even if Merkel et al entertain it, without accepting much of what we have rejected. That's the reality of the situation. The leavers promised that we could have our cake and eat it. That promise was folly and irresponsible. It was a promise that couldn't and shouldn't have been promised. The single market is a baby of the EU and vice versa. You can't just have it when it's cute but have nothing to do with it when it shits itself or gets in the way. Judging by some parents in this country they probably think that's acceptable but responsibility seemed to have long since gone sadly.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 12:47]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:48 - Jun 28 with 11079 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:41 - Jun 28 by BigDaveMyCock

It's not a political class problem, it affects everyone in this country. We as a country have made a decision the consequences of which we have to live with and manage. The biggest issue is this. Everyone wants access to the single market, even UKIP do. The consequences of not having access to the single market are catastrophic, we all agree on that. The problem is that this access may not be achievable, even if Merkel et al entertain it, without accepting much of what we have rejected. That's the reality of the situation. The leavers promised that we could have our cake and eat it. That promise was folly and irresponsible. It was a promise that couldn't and shouldn't have been promised. The single market is a baby of the EU and vice versa. You can't just have it when it's cute but have nothing to do with it when it shits itself or gets in the way. Judging by some parents in this country they probably think that's acceptable but responsibility seemed to have long since gone sadly.

What the leavers explained (not promised) was that we'd continue to trade with the rest of Europe, inside or outside the single market, and on reasonable terms since the EU would be cutting their noses off to spite their faces by imposing punitive tariffs.

We'll see what transpires during the forthcoming negotiations. I'm confident we'll settle on good terms, although I realise my confidence doesn't count.

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:11 - Jun 28 with 11007 views49thseason

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:41 - Jun 28 by BigDaveMyCock

In what way would we not have access to the single market? It may be true that they charge us a tariff, so what? Worldwide tariffs are averaging 4-5% if they charge us 5% we will simply stick a 5% tariff on German cars and all the other stuff we but from them, net result, they might sell fewer cars and we might sell less to them. Are they going to piss off German car makers and French farmers and German car workers for the sake of 5%? And don't forget, we would collect more tariffs from them than they will from us meaning we can offset the tariff costs to the UK from the £3Bn or so extra revenue that tariffs would give us.

Personally, I am happy to buy Hondas and Nissans and Toyotas made in the UK and drink Australian wine that will not have a 32% tariff attached to it. If they can do without Airbus wings and landing gear, good luck to them.

As I said yesterday, currently, if you buy something from a non-EU website there will be an EU Tariff attached to the bill. We simply have to announce that with the exception of countries charging us tariffs the UK will be tariff-free to everyone else and watch the rest of the world queue up to do business with us. China, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, are already in line.

At the end of the day money talks , not immigration, not sovereignty. This is our chance to build a successful 21st-century economy and stop patching up a 20th-century model that has failed its MOT too many times.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:55 - Jun 28 with 10936 viewsbocadave

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:11 - Jun 28 by 49thseason

In what way would we not have access to the single market? It may be true that they charge us a tariff, so what? Worldwide tariffs are averaging 4-5% if they charge us 5% we will simply stick a 5% tariff on German cars and all the other stuff we but from them, net result, they might sell fewer cars and we might sell less to them. Are they going to piss off German car makers and French farmers and German car workers for the sake of 5%? And don't forget, we would collect more tariffs from them than they will from us meaning we can offset the tariff costs to the UK from the £3Bn or so extra revenue that tariffs would give us.

Personally, I am happy to buy Hondas and Nissans and Toyotas made in the UK and drink Australian wine that will not have a 32% tariff attached to it. If they can do without Airbus wings and landing gear, good luck to them.

As I said yesterday, currently, if you buy something from a non-EU website there will be an EU Tariff attached to the bill. We simply have to announce that with the exception of countries charging us tariffs the UK will be tariff-free to everyone else and watch the rest of the world queue up to do business with us. China, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, are already in line.

At the end of the day money talks , not immigration, not sovereignty. This is our chance to build a successful 21st-century economy and stop patching up a 20th-century model that has failed its MOT too many times.

Nissan have already issued a statement regarding further investment in the UK when they develop new models. The reason Nissan,Honda & Toyota are in the UK is because of the single market.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:50 - Jun 28 with 10885 viewsDaleiLama

Not sure whether to post this on here or the new anthem thread.

"Rule Britannia, Britainnia waives the rules..........."

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 15:00 - Jun 28 with 10862 viewsjudd

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:11 - Jun 28 by 49thseason

Iceland can FOOK RIGHT OFF.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 22:47 - Jun 28 with 10591 viewsanotherbiffo

One feasible outcome to all this is that we negotiate ourselves back into the EU minus the considerable advantages we've acquired over the years. Europe will be keen to play hardball in order to deter future breakaways and Britain must contend with potential interior rifts and leadership battles at a time when they need to keep their eye on the ball. Although staunchly in the 'remain' camp I believe we need to act swiftly now and cut the umbilical cord ASAP . Not triggering article 50, although a perfectly viable option, will only serve to create instability and resentment. The paradox is that we may have unwittingly become the lab-rat that helps in the strengthening of the EU.

Of course, the best possible outcome would be for Britain to show economic growth as soon as possible - whether this can happen will become clearer as the weeks progress.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 23:51 - Jun 28 with 10538 viewsSuddenLad

Judging by todays' snippets of information coming out of Brussels, via our Political correspondents, if the UK wants to retain any meaningful trade agreement with the EU, it will almost certainly come at the cost of maintaining the existing 'free movement' arrangements which seems to have been the root cause of the malcontents voting 'Leave'.

Visa finance is already making alarming noises about 'several thousands' of UK jobs in the balance due to Brexit and two major banking organisations are being urged to move their HQ's to Germany..

Pyrrhic victory indeed.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:04 - Jun 29 with 10534 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 22:47 - Jun 28 by anotherbiffo

One feasible outcome to all this is that we negotiate ourselves back into the EU minus the considerable advantages we've acquired over the years. Europe will be keen to play hardball in order to deter future breakaways and Britain must contend with potential interior rifts and leadership battles at a time when they need to keep their eye on the ball. Although staunchly in the 'remain' camp I believe we need to act swiftly now and cut the umbilical cord ASAP . Not triggering article 50, although a perfectly viable option, will only serve to create instability and resentment. The paradox is that we may have unwittingly become the lab-rat that helps in the strengthening of the EU.

Of course, the best possible outcome would be for Britain to show economic growth as soon as possible - whether this can happen will become clearer as the weeks progress.

Another feasible outcome is that we allow the due process to take place without this sense of panic that some people - and some politicians* - seem to think requires an immediate plan, or precipitate action.

As predicted, after an initial and deep fall, the markets have regained some equilibrium. It's appreciated that undue delays aren't helpful and that confidence needs to be restored so that our economy can then start to reap the benefits of trading with the wider world unencumbered by EU regulations and bureaucracy; but a timetable is emerging, and the Tory leadership contest will be done and dusted by early autumn. The contest itself will highlight what type of negotiating position will be best for the UK as the candidates set their stalls out.

On such key issues as negotiating our trading relationship with the EU and the mechanisms for extracting our legal system from that of the EU, panic and haste simply aren't helpful. I think there's a growing realisation among our European neighbours that it's in all our interests to work through the issues with calmness.

* just watched Michael Heseltine on Newsnight. Yet another reactionary has-been whose Establishment blinkers prevent him from seeing that the referendum result wasn't just about economics, but a much wider discontent with the type of politics where decisions affecting all our lives were made in gentlemen's clubs of the type he frequents in London.

The media coverage of today's events in Brussels also left a lot to be desired, as if our politicians have no right to stand up to the bigwigs in the European Commission and parliament. The sight of a Scotttish MEP "begging" the parliament to allow Scotland to remain in the EU was a horrible failure of nerve.

So there it is. No need to reach for the Elgar anotherbiffo (prefer Vaughan Williams myself) and for the benefit of BDMC, DomDale and 1mark1, hope that's not over-complicated things, coming from someone who's obviously thick.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 0:09]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:28 - Jun 29 with 10504 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 23:51 - Jun 28 by SuddenLad

Judging by todays' snippets of information coming out of Brussels, via our Political correspondents, if the UK wants to retain any meaningful trade agreement with the EU, it will almost certainly come at the cost of maintaining the existing 'free movement' arrangements which seems to have been the root cause of the malcontents voting 'Leave'.

Visa finance is already making alarming noises about 'several thousands' of UK jobs in the balance due to Brexit and two major banking organisations are being urged to move their HQ's to Germany..

Pyrrhic victory indeed.

"Malcontents voting Leave" ?

That'll be all 17,000,000+ of us then

The snippets you're hearing from the "political correspondents" are very Establishment-biased. Nothing will be decided until the negotiations begin. Big business is seeking to exert pressure to get things moving, but they won't make any decisions which might end up costing them money until the terms of exit are clear.

There's nothing "almost certain" about the maintenance of free movement. It's all just far too early for that. Some calmness really wouldn't go amiss.

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:32 - Jun 29 with 10494 views1mark1

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:04 - Jun 29 by D_Alien

Another feasible outcome is that we allow the due process to take place without this sense of panic that some people - and some politicians* - seem to think requires an immediate plan, or precipitate action.

As predicted, after an initial and deep fall, the markets have regained some equilibrium. It's appreciated that undue delays aren't helpful and that confidence needs to be restored so that our economy can then start to reap the benefits of trading with the wider world unencumbered by EU regulations and bureaucracy; but a timetable is emerging, and the Tory leadership contest will be done and dusted by early autumn. The contest itself will highlight what type of negotiating position will be best for the UK as the candidates set their stalls out.

On such key issues as negotiating our trading relationship with the EU and the mechanisms for extracting our legal system from that of the EU, panic and haste simply aren't helpful. I think there's a growing realisation among our European neighbours that it's in all our interests to work through the issues with calmness.

* just watched Michael Heseltine on Newsnight. Yet another reactionary has-been whose Establishment blinkers prevent him from seeing that the referendum result wasn't just about economics, but a much wider discontent with the type of politics where decisions affecting all our lives were made in gentlemen's clubs of the type he frequents in London.

The media coverage of today's events in Brussels also left a lot to be desired, as if our politicians have no right to stand up to the bigwigs in the European Commission and parliament. The sight of a Scotttish MEP "begging" the parliament to allow Scotland to remain in the EU was a horrible failure of nerve.

So there it is. No need to reach for the Elgar anotherbiffo (prefer Vaughan Williams myself) and for the benefit of BDMC, DomDale and 1mark1, hope that's not over-complicated things, coming from someone who's obviously thick.

No need to worry, you will never over complicate things for me, though not sure why you have dragged me into things, as I haven't made any personal remarks about you or to you.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:38 - Jun 29 with 10486 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:32 - Jun 29 by 1mark1

No need to worry, you will never over complicate things for me, though not sure why you have dragged me into things, as I haven't made any personal remarks about you or to you.

Apologies 1mark1, I had you caught up in BDMC's attempt to ride shotgun on behalf of those who don't need it yesterday, I know you're better than that.

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 06:15 - Jun 29 with 10406 views1mark1

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:38 - Jun 29 by D_Alien

Apologies 1mark1, I had you caught up in BDMC's attempt to ride shotgun on behalf of those who don't need it yesterday, I know you're better than that.

Ok, no problem.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:56 - Jun 29 with 10263 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Two potential indicators of the way things may be going.

Business Secretary Sajid Javid met with the leaders of UK business, including the CBI, and stated 'the biggest issue raised by business leaders was the need to secure continued access to the single market'. Fears were allayed by stating that the UK currently remained a member of the EU and the single market and that this will not be the time for 'hasty decisions that will be regretted later''. He placed much emphasis on the negotiations etc seeking to secure continued access to single market but admitted he couldn't make promises.

Should add that many of the above are huge donors to Tory party.

Boris in an article to the Telegraph 3 days ago now appears conciliatory and talks about renegotiation with EU. That's not leave. Gove and IDS remain in hiding. Rumour is that they have no tangible plan on the very question of the single market. Expect the language to subtly change towards renegotiation from them.

I surmise that if no agreement can be achieved re 'free trade' access to the single market, which judging by Merkel et al and Junker's initial utterancess is far from a forgone conclusion, then Article 50 will not be invoked. Result, an impasse.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 12:58]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:06 - Jun 29 with 10244 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:38 - Jun 29 by D_Alien

You apologised for catching somebody up in a criticism of me catching somebody up?

Mind you, you're the person who loves debate but doesn't give a fook about what anyone thinks so I suppose anything is possible isn't it?

[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 13:12]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:49 - Jun 29 with 10149 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:06 - Jun 29 by BigDaveMyCock

You apologised for catching somebody up in a criticism of me catching somebody up?

Mind you, you're the person who loves debate but doesn't give a fook about what anyone thinks so I suppose anything is possible isn't it?

[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 13:12]

I'll put you out of your misery BDMC, since you seem unhealthily concerned about this little matter:

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me, but I'm interested in any rational opinions as points for debate, as I made perfectly clear in my subsequent reply to Frog

Please pay more attention in future, then you, and others, won't waste your time worrying about it

[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 14:51]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 16:51 - Jun 29 with 10049 viewsDomDale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 00:04 - Jun 29 by D_Alien

Thank you for the mention but I don't recall making a remark about your intelligence. That appears to be your trick when others disagree with you - as highlighted by BDMC.

I did say you were a contrarian but don't acknowledge that as an affront to your intelligence.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 18:00 - Jun 29 with 9968 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 16:51 - Jun 29 by DomDale

Thank you for the mention but I don't recall making a remark about your intelligence. That appears to be your trick when others disagree with you - as highlighted by BDMC.

I did say you were a contrarian but don't acknowledge that as an affront to your intelligence.

There's no trick involved

Disagreeing over opinions is one thing, but rochdaleriddler made several assumptions about me which justified my labelling him a thicko at the time

Fair comment with your last point

[Post edited 1 Jul 2016 12:07]

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 18:20 - Jun 29 with 9921 viewsBigDaveMyCock

16.21 - June 27 D_Alien wrote

"I'm pretty sure most people are heartily sick of threads being turned away from the topic towards being about me."

Given that this thread has gone the same way, do you ever wonder why the above is the case?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024