Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale in red... 21:11 - Jul 22 with 3760 viewsTVOS1907

This picture from The Shay in 1987/88 popped up on Twitter earlier:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale in red... on 21:20 - Jul 22 with 2664 viewsBartRowou

Doubtless we'll get some obsessive on soon telling us that's what happens when your home kit is white and away kit is blue.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Dale in red... on 21:20 - Jul 22 with 2664 views442Dale

For a free pass to my Kit Academy, what's strange about the kit Dale are wearing?

It wouldn't ever happen these days.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale in red... on 21:23 - Jul 22 with 2655 viewsnordenblue

Dale in red... on 21:20 - Jul 22 by 442Dale

For a free pass to my Kit Academy, what's strange about the kit Dale are wearing?

Not really the kit but it looks much better all players wearing bloody black boots too
Dale in red... on 21:25 - Jul 22 with 2645 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 21:23 - Jul 22 by nordenblue

Not really the kit but it looks much better all players wearing bloody black boots too

Whose blood did they dip them in?

Edit: you're right though. I could tell you a lot about boots too. People need only ask.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 21:26]

Dale in red... on 21:46 - Jul 22 with 2597 viewsBartRowou

I'm going for Lomax, Bramhall, Smart and Parlane.

Dale in red... on 21:48 - Jul 22 with 2593 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 21:46 - Jul 22 by BartRowou

I'm going for Lomax, Bramhall, Smart and Parlane.

Rick Holden letting fly.

Dale in red... on 22:35 - Jul 22 with 2515 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Is the "grey stuff" the old speedway track?
Dale in red... on 23:17 - Jul 22 with 2466 viewsSwissdale

Different shirt and short brands?
Login to get fewer ads

Dale in red... on 02:08 - Jul 23 with 2401 viewsShun

The fact the long sleeve kits have black cuffs at the end while the short sleeves have white?
Dale in red... on 07:48 - Jul 23 with 2315 viewsBartRowou

I think Lomax might be wearing the captain's masking tape which is why his sleeve appears to be white.

The Shay back then was way ahead of its time - cf West Ham's Olympic Stadium.

There are bigger questions though...

If in 86-87 we wore white at home and red away, WHAT DID WE WEAR AT EXETER AND LINCOLN?

Dale in red... on 08:24 - Jul 23 with 2285 viewsD_Alien

Dale in red... on 07:48 - Jul 23 by BartRowou

I think Lomax might be wearing the captain's masking tape which is why his sleeve appears to be white.

If in 86-87 we wore white at home and red away, WHAT DID WE WEAR AT EXETER AND LINCOLN?

In what sense was the Shay "ahead of its time"?

I've been watching Dale there since 1969 and its never been anything other than an ugly hotchpotch of broken down or unfinished mess, with scant protection from the elements. The dirt/cinder track around the pitch certainly gave it a unique appearance, but in a *throw back" kind of way rather than anything remotely modern.

That's not to say it wasn't a good away trip - several of the most iconic Dale-watching moments happened there.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dale in red... on 08:24 - Jul 23 with 2285 viewsrochedale

442, out of interest, do you or have you worked for a kit manufacturer or in fashion? Or have you had training/been educated in said field? Or are just just a self proclaimed 'kit expert' that likes to share his opinion of kits on here?

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Dale in red... on 08:33 - Jul 23 with 2268 viewsTVOS1907

Dale in red... on 07:48 - Jul 23 by BartRowou

We wore the 85/86 DARK BLUE away shirts.

Dale in red... on 08:40 - Jul 23 with 2255 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 08:24 - Jul 23 by rochedale

442, out of interest, do you or have you worked for a kit manufacturer or in fashion? Or have you had training/been educated in said field? Or are just just a self proclaimed 'kit expert' that likes to share his opinion of kits on here?

Definitely the latter, all very much my own ramblings and utter nonsense. The thing with football kits is it's such a subjective area of the game - some fans will love basic kits, others prefer complicated shirts with loads of detail and yet many won't ever buy them!

One of my biggest gripes is around the choices clubs/manufacturers make around colours rather than the actual designs - things like Dale having a purple away kit. It never ceases to surprise how many times this sort of thing happens without someone wondering "is that really an alternative to our home kit?"

Dale in red... on 08:43 - Jul 23 with 2250 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 02:08 - Jul 23 by Shun

The fact the long sleeve kits have black cuffs at the end while the short sleeves have white?

Cuffs are navy but that's a good spot.

It's something else and involves the shirts being somewhat wrong.

Dale in red... on 08:50 - Jul 23 with 2237 viewsDorislove

Dale in red... on 08:43 - Jul 23 by 442Dale

Cuffs are navy but that's a good spot.

It's something else and involves the shirts being somewhat wrong.

Long sleeve and short sleeve not allowed on same team ??
Dale in red... on 08:51 - Jul 23 with 2237 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 23:17 - Jul 22 by Swissdale

Different shirt and short brands?

Sorry I totally missed this! Aye, Hobott shirts from the previous season and Umbro shorts and socks.

Dale in red... on 08:54 - Jul 23 with 2229 views442Dale

Dale in red... on 08:50 - Jul 23 by Dorislove

Long sleeve and short sleeve not allowed on same team ??

See above, my mistake! Though that's always an interesting one these days as you rarely see players wear long sleeves anymore - they opt for those base layers under their shirts. Apart from at Arsenal when Mertesacker is captain as he often chooses long sleeves and they have a tradition where the rest of the team have to follow suit.

Dale in red... on 08:55 - Jul 23 with 2227 viewsrochedale

Dale in red... on 08:40 - Jul 23 by 442Dale

Definitely the latter, all very much my own ramblings and utter nonsense. The thing with football kits is it's such a subjective area of the game - some fans will love basic kits, others prefer complicated shirts with loads of detail and yet many won't ever buy them!

One of my biggest gripes is around the choices clubs/manufacturers make around colours rather than the actual designs - things like Dale having a purple away kit. It never ceases to surprise how many times this sort of thing happens without someone wondering "is that really an alternative to our home kit?"

The new United kit is out this morning, round collar and no stripes on sleeves, looks poor. The white kit, not revealed/launched yet, has a really dodgy sleeve design.

Like you, I love a good kit, and can't quite grasp why so often there are some really poor designs.

I am awaiting the day Dale have an Adidas kit!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Dale in red... on 09:02 - Jul 23 with 2215 viewsDySporting

Dale in red... on 08:55 - Jul 23 by rochedale

The new United kit is out this morning, round collar and no stripes on sleeves, looks poor. The white kit, not revealed/launched yet, has a really dodgy sleeve design.

Like you, I love a good kit, and can't quite grasp why so often there are some really poor designs.

Not long sleeves but check out the trial keepers boots if he gets on today. The ones he was wearing on Tuesday night were like basketball boots with socks attached to them already, really unusual.
Dale in red... on 09:02 - Jul 23 with 2213 views442Dale

The thing about the designs is a real bugbear as they must be done by people who are eminently more qualified than the average fan, yet some garner such a negative reaction that you have to wonder if they really know what supporters like!

Agreed, not a fan of that United shirt myself, there's no black trim on it for a start. The Adidas thing for putting the stripes down the side doesn't work at all.

Dale in red... on 10:38 - Jul 23 with 2073 viewsBartRowou

It has already happened.

Dale in red... on 10:48 - Jul 23 with 2065 viewsfitzochris

I love Adidas football shirts. The Man United one of last season reminded me of the one they wore from the mid 80s when football seemed so much more simple.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 10:53]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dale in red... on 13:20 - Jul 23 with 1930 viewsFred_Talbot

Dale in red... on 10:38 - Jul 23 by BartRowou

It has already happened.

Is that Nigel O'Loughlin?

Where's Fred?

Dale in red... on 17:33 - Jul 23 with 1788 viewsTVOS1907

Dale in red... on 13:20 - Jul 23 by Fred_Talbot

Is that Nigel O'Loughlin?

It certainly is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024