Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans Forum 17:33 - Jul 28 with 15218 views442Dale

Could anyone who is going provide details for those of us unable attend in this thread please?

It's only fair because I usually take pen and paper to make notes for the rest of you, without a word of thanks*

*not strictly a fact. Others often report back too. Please do so again.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans Forum on 09:34 - Jul 29 with 2752 viewsdingdangblue

Fans Forum on 09:16 - Jul 29 by DaleiLama

CG was finally outed as being guilty of duplicity there, despite his lengthy written deNiles (the RIver thread has burst its banks) when this was first challenged. So amateurish. The fans and team deserve better............

It just smacks of insulting the fans intelligence (and being devious to boot). I dont care what marketing experts might tell them. Just a bit of HONESTY goes a long way - and is respected a lot lot more by the fans.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Fans Forum on 09:34 - Jul 29 with 2756 viewsTVOS1907

Fans Forum on 07:55 - Jul 29 by isitme

Jamie Allen has been offered a new contract, which is a far as the club can go.

Aaron Morley is in contention to play in the first team this season. Hill says he has the mentality of on experienced player and that he is well ahead of where he should be in his development.

It was interesting what was said about targeting under 11 season tickets. All schools in the borough were invited to a tournament at the group at which they were given goodie bags including information about season tickets. From what I can remember about a quarter of schools attended. The remaining schools had been sent the information and had received a phone call about the season ticket ticket offer. I suppose what happens with this information is up to the head of the school and what they deem as being important.

I was surprised at how poor the take up had been in this category, although thinking more about it, it is not so much the free/£10 season ticket it is who is going to take them to the games. For many in the borough it is too expensive for adults to attend on a regular basis.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2016 8:00]

It's not a school's responsibility to do the club's work for them.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fans Forum on 10:03 - Jul 29 with 2652 viewsLuke8686

Fans Forum on 08:59 - Jul 29 by Rosun

The number of 'free' season tickets (aged 11 and under) was 251.
Draw your own conclusions on how successful the promotion has been from that figure.

And how many of them are actually new season ticket holders? I suspect in the tens.. really is embarrassing.

I suspect the proportion of fans that pay on the day will be slightly higher next season with the amount of people who haven't renewed. But this will only be the case for the more attractive ties. Overall I expect average attendance to be on a par with last season, if not slightly lower.
Fans Forum on 10:05 - Jul 29 with 2644 viewsYouTubeDale

It seems that there is a lack of clarity on how the ST sales are going, particularly with respect to the sales mix. That is poor communication.

On the face of it, there is much work to do in marketing the club to the primary schools. Nobody has said it was easy or it could be done overnight, but it just underlines how much more effort is required. Energy and brainpower are needed in abundance.

The tidying up of the ground is a simple one to get right (I look at the puddle in front of the away dug-out) at the Blackburn game.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Fans Forum on 10:06 - Jul 29 with 2643 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 09:34 - Jul 29 by TVOS1907

It's not a school's responsibility to do the club's work for them.

Exactly. For the club to think this was an acceptable way of marketing the tickets says a great deal. A phone call to busy heads / school secretaries, who probably couldn't care less about the Dale? The tournament initiative was fine, but what about players visiting schools, giving a talk about life as a professional, or whatever it takes to ENSURE the offer was given every opportunity to succeed?

But of course, the club couldn't risk having say, 5000 kids suddenly turning up with an adult! That's why it can only be viewed as a way of failing to address (i.e. cba) the major issue of attracting more support from the thousands of adults in the town who do earn enough to afford an ST - and before anyone jumps on that, yes, I recognise there are a fair number who don't have that type of income, but that still leaves a huge number who do. But let's just ignore them, or worse, insult them.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2016 10:13]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 10:12 - Jul 29 with 2600 viewsdingdangblue

Fans Forum on 10:05 - Jul 29 by YouTubeDale

It seems that there is a lack of clarity on how the ST sales are going, particularly with respect to the sales mix. That is poor communication.

On the face of it, there is much work to do in marketing the club to the primary schools. Nobody has said it was easy or it could be done overnight, but it just underlines how much more effort is required. Energy and brainpower are needed in abundance.

The tidying up of the ground is a simple one to get right (I look at the puddle in front of the away dug-out) at the Blackburn game.

By the sounds of it last night , the playing budget is stretched to its maximum and there's no money left for refurbishment's. The comment was if we started doing up the bars/facilities it would reduce Keith's budget. The need for a decent cup run this season is vital I think, or a Hogan windfall!

#prayforscott

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Fans Forum on 10:29 - Jul 29 with 2553 viewsjudd

Fans Forum on 10:06 - Jul 29 by D_Alien

Exactly. For the club to think this was an acceptable way of marketing the tickets says a great deal. A phone call to busy heads / school secretaries, who probably couldn't care less about the Dale? The tournament initiative was fine, but what about players visiting schools, giving a talk about life as a professional, or whatever it takes to ENSURE the offer was given every opportunity to succeed?

But of course, the club couldn't risk having say, 5000 kids suddenly turning up with an adult! That's why it can only be viewed as a way of failing to address (i.e. cba) the major issue of attracting more support from the thousands of adults in the town who do earn enough to afford an ST - and before anyone jumps on that, yes, I recognise there are a fair number who don't have that type of income, but that still leaves a huge number who do. But let's just ignore them, or worse, insult them.

Make sure that the right players go into schools and talk.

My missus teaches food tech in a school in bury and some of their players were invited into one of her classes to talk about the life of a professional footballer and diet.

One of them proceeded to tell the class that the night before they had played away at Lincoln and they had McDonald's on the way home from the match.

No mention of any other foodstuff.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Fans Forum on 10:32 - Jul 29 with 2539 viewsflyerdale

Fans Forum on 23:11 - Jul 28 by TVOS1907

Were season ticket holders who didn't renew contacted by the club, as promised?

Yeah my letter went straight in the shredder
Login to get fewer ads

Fans Forum on 11:09 - Jul 29 with 2432 viewsMoonyDale

Fans Forum on 10:32 - Jul 29 by flyerdale

Yeah my letter went straight in the shredder

As did mine.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Fans Forum on 11:22 - Jul 29 with 2383 viewspioneer

Fans Forum on 22:32 - Jul 28 by Clivert

Tbf CG did say that the school holidays had seen an upturn on U11 ST sales so hopefully as the rest of the holidays go on the upturn will continue, he also said that plenty of leaflets had been distributed amongst primary schools in the borough, there's to be on going initiatives throughout the season to attract U11s also. The reason why the £10 STs are advertised as FREE is that the word 'FREE' is eye catching, the standard administration costs were then given as reason for the £10 charge.

I was satisfied with the answer that Mr Dunphy gave to my Stewart Day question!

If the word 'free' is eyecatching how come we have sold so few and why didnt we advertise adult STs as free with 300 quid admin charge?

It appears things that are (perceived to be) eye cathing are more important than things that are true.

Isnt it time they simply admitted they got this wrong?
Fans Forum on 11:42 - Jul 29 with 2311 viewsdawlishdale

Fans Forum on 11:22 - Jul 29 by pioneer

If the word 'free' is eyecatching how come we have sold so few and why didnt we advertise adult STs as free with 300 quid admin charge?

It appears things that are (perceived to be) eye cathing are more important than things that are true.

Isnt it time they simply admitted they got this wrong?

The "free" (not free...they cost £10) Season tickets to kids should have resulted in at the very least 1000 sales.

The fact that the club has actually shifted less than 300 (and many of those will have been to kids who have had a free under 7's ticket before) is nothing short of a disaster.
It shows that a) the club haven't marketed the scheme properly and that b) the decision makers at many local schools just don't care about RAFC.

More worrying though, is that Adult Season Ticket sales are as low as 500 or so, which is quite a reduction on last season from memory.

High time that the powers that be at the club came clean and apologised for this cock-up.

I have only attended one pre-season game at Curzon Ashton, but spoke to quite a few adult supporters who have not renewed their tickets this year. Only 2 out of perhaps 8 or 9 have been contacted by the club.

In fairness, I did also gather that quite a few people had relented and renewed, but they were still angry at the club for the way this was handled. The club probably doesn't realise that many of those who did renew are annoyed with them.
Fans Forum on 11:49 - Jul 29 with 2273 views49thseason

Mulling over the Fans Forum last night, a couple of things sprung to mind:
The under 11 offer has been incredibly badly handled from every perspective. As has been pointed out on here, the problem lies in getting a responsible adult to bring the child to matches which involves either £20 a game or an outlay of £370 for a season ticket There are two problems with this,; even if you buy the child a season ticket, the £10 cost is covered by attending a single match so it's unlikely to persuade a reluctant parent to attend matches that don't appeal i.e. when it's raining, when the wife wants to go shopping, when the kid gets invited to a party etc. So the kid simply learns that football is an occasional trip not a habit. Equally very few current "non fans" are suddenly going to cough up £370 for a season ticket just because their lad has come home from school with an "offer".

It seems to me a short "Dad and Lad" 5 games "Get the Dale Experience" offer might have been a better bet with a price of say £49. for the pair with a follow-up offer if they enjoy the matches. The 5 games could have been 5 from the first 6 or 7 home Saturdays. This actually gives two bites at the cherry, as the Dad might enjoy matches more than the Lad and continue to attend

We know there are only 500 or so Adult season tickets sold which I guess will include some "Dad and Lad" regulars so the 5 game offer would not particularly affect those sales.
Once they are inside Spotland, it's essential that they are looked after properly, clean loos, a visit from Desmond, a free tour of the ground pre-match, free draw to win a match ball etc. It's important that the kids go back to school and can tell their mates how good it is at Spotland.

On another slightly worrying note, I recently spoke to a couple of Gold Bond agents who told me that there has been no canvassing for new customers on their rounds for 3 or 4 years and that their sales have shrunk by 20% simply because people have died or moved away.
If there are 200 Gold Bond agents, with £50 a week rounds and similar problems, that means the income may have fallen by £100k a year. I don't know the exact numbers but to spend a few thousand pounds each summer getting a team of students to knock on doors looks like a very good investment. There are 87,000 households in Rochdale (including Middleton and Heywood). so I would guess there is a good chance of growing the Gold Bond idea substantially or at least maintaining it.
Fans Forum on 11:57 - Jul 29 with 2239 viewsjudd

Fans Forum on 11:49 - Jul 29 by 49thseason

Mulling over the Fans Forum last night, a couple of things sprung to mind:
The under 11 offer has been incredibly badly handled from every perspective. As has been pointed out on here, the problem lies in getting a responsible adult to bring the child to matches which involves either £20 a game or an outlay of £370 for a season ticket There are two problems with this,; even if you buy the child a season ticket, the £10 cost is covered by attending a single match so it's unlikely to persuade a reluctant parent to attend matches that don't appeal i.e. when it's raining, when the wife wants to go shopping, when the kid gets invited to a party etc. So the kid simply learns that football is an occasional trip not a habit. Equally very few current "non fans" are suddenly going to cough up £370 for a season ticket just because their lad has come home from school with an "offer".

It seems to me a short "Dad and Lad" 5 games "Get the Dale Experience" offer might have been a better bet with a price of say £49. for the pair with a follow-up offer if they enjoy the matches. The 5 games could have been 5 from the first 6 or 7 home Saturdays. This actually gives two bites at the cherry, as the Dad might enjoy matches more than the Lad and continue to attend

We know there are only 500 or so Adult season tickets sold which I guess will include some "Dad and Lad" regulars so the 5 game offer would not particularly affect those sales.
Once they are inside Spotland, it's essential that they are looked after properly, clean loos, a visit from Desmond, a free tour of the ground pre-match, free draw to win a match ball etc. It's important that the kids go back to school and can tell their mates how good it is at Spotland.

On another slightly worrying note, I recently spoke to a couple of Gold Bond agents who told me that there has been no canvassing for new customers on their rounds for 3 or 4 years and that their sales have shrunk by 20% simply because people have died or moved away.
If there are 200 Gold Bond agents, with £50 a week rounds and similar problems, that means the income may have fallen by £100k a year. I don't know the exact numbers but to spend a few thousand pounds each summer getting a team of students to knock on doors looks like a very good investment. There are 87,000 households in Rochdale (including Middleton and Heywood). so I would guess there is a good chance of growing the Gold Bond idea substantially or at least maintaining it.

Bit harsh making the kids clean the bogs.

I'm a Goldbond agent and my area is canvassed regularly. Only recently I got 12 new customers provided by the club, of which 3 have dropped out. This not too long after 4 were added. I have found it difficult to shift the summer draw tickets, tbh.

Fans Forum on 12:21 - Jul 29 with 2157 viewsTVOS1907

Fans Forum on 10:06 - Jul 29 by D_Alien

Spot on.

I'd also contend there's sufficient educational experience among the fanbase who would be willing to help out with ideas about how this sort of initiative could work in schools.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fans Forum on 12:21 - Jul 29 with 2157 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 11:57 - Jul 29 by judd

I'm a Goldbond agent and my area is canvassed regularly. Only recently I got 12 new customers provided by the club, of which 3 have dropped out. This not too long after 4 were added. I have found it difficult to shift the summer draw tickets, tbh.

Especially the lads having to clean up the Ladies. (My ex always used to say Ladies loos were worse than Gents - no idea how she worked that out, and I didn't ask why.)

Presume 49th meant Dads/Mums & Lads/Girls, or any combination therefore, including transgender etc.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 12:38 - Jul 29 with 2083 viewslurker

I haven't and won't be renewing my adult ST from last year.
I also have 2 kids that had a truly free ST last year that won't have one this year.
The reason is partly financial. I would have stretched my finances if I had been given more incentive to do so and taken the wrath of my other half, but sadly that was not the case.

As a result, I will be picking and choosing some home games to go to and maybe attend what local away games I can when I have the spare loot! When I go it will be in the Sandy Lane end (cheapest) and I might bring the kids if they are up for it, but won't be actively encouraging them to come for obvious reasons.

Last year, I attended every home game, the kids came with me 90% of the time and, as kids tend to do, they emptied my wallet on food and drink every time.

Maybe I am the only case like this, or similar, but even if I am it is some loss to the club all the same.

Just to add, I absolutely love the Dale and I know this is probably going to hurt like hell initially, but the decision is partly financial and partly on principle. This whole ST thing has been handled so very poorly IMHO and I certainly have felt taken for granted as a supporter. Who knows, maybe the initial pain will subside over time, which would be the absolute worst scenario for the club I would think?

Here's to a good season. Up the Dale!
Fans Forum on 12:46 - Jul 29 with 2049 viewsSandyman

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovq308ra4n4v5la/SP3.jpg?dl=0

This is the the first side of the "reminder" letter sent by RAFC. Yes, an admission of a price increase (unlike the original letter of April 18th which said "there will be no price increase for Season Tickets next season) even though there was for those who purchased during the SPP 2015. Enclosed was a renewal form based on current full 2016 prices. With the SPP over and no opportunity to use the £25 off voucher , this meant that despite the April 18th "no increase" statement, the club was asking £62 more than I paid last year. Like others. I've not renewed because of this increase they say isn't an increase and will take in the odd game here and there rather than going to every home game possible.

Hope The Dale have a fantastic season
[Post edited 29 Jul 2016 12:52]
Fans Forum on 13:19 - Jul 29 with 1946 viewsmacro

There will be an easy comparison to make in 8 days time

2014 - home attendance v Posh - 3613
2015 - home attendance v Posh - 3319
2016 - home attendance v Posh - ……...
Fans Forum on 13:44 - Jul 29 with 1858 views49thseason

Fans Forum on 11:57 - Jul 29 by judd

Can I ask how often is your Gold Bond round canvassed? And how many customers do you have in total?
Fans Forum on 13:50 - Jul 29 with 1842 viewsjudd

Fans Forum on 12:46 - Jul 29 by Sandyman

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovq308ra4n4v5la/SP3.jpg?dl=0

This is the the first side of the "reminder" letter sent by RAFC. Yes, an admission of a price increase (unlike the original letter of April 18th which said "there will be no price increase for Season Tickets next season) even though there was for those who purchased during the SPP 2015. Enclosed was a renewal form based on current full 2016 prices. With the SPP over and no opportunity to use the £25 off voucher , this meant that despite the April 18th "no increase" statement, the club was asking £62 more than I paid last year. Like others. I've not renewed because of this increase they say isn't an increase and will take in the odd game here and there rather than going to every home game possible.

Hope The Dale have a fantastic season
[Post edited 29 Jul 2016 12:52]

It's really saddening to read your post, Sandyman.

I also notice that in this thread there has been an allusion to a conman operating at another club when our own club - in the very letter attached - state that kids season tickets are "FREE OF CHARGE" then immediately caveat that with a £10 admin charge.

£10 is absolutely superb value.

Free of charge, by definition, means WITHOUT ANY PAYMENT DUE (Oxford Dictionary).

Which marketing guru has made this offer look better by using a phrase they clearly did not understand the meaning of, and has effectively made the club's management appear to be shysters who have got their just rewards with an apparently appalling uptake by the target market that did understand?

Fans Forum on 13:52 - Jul 29 with 1832 viewsjudd

Fans Forum on 13:44 - Jul 29 by 49thseason

Can I ask how often is your Gold Bond round canvassed? And how many customers do you have in total?

No.

It's certainly 2-3 times per year at least. I cannot remember the number of customers I have except to say it is more than this time 12 months ago.

Fans Forum on 14:24 - Jul 29 with 1760 viewstony_roch975

Fans Forum on 21:38 - Jul 28 by roccydaleian

Think (could be wrong) the total ST's sold up to now was 1203, the breakdown was given by CG but I can't remember the figures now. Best comment of the night was by CD and the Chur at bUry and something about a conman or summat.

Season Ticket figures I noted were:-
1200 sold - predict 1425 by end Aug
257 Under 11s
573 Adult
237 Seniors
43 youth
69 other juniors
(27 ??)
It's true there weren't any contentious debates, possible because lots has been covered in interviews on Player etc. CG tributes were well meant & well deserved. Colin plans a good handover period which makes sense in a 'one-man' operation like our back office.
Other other thing I noted was how lucid, amazingly open & honest Keith was throughout his answers - about players, EFL and his career. Also good banter between the big 3 - KH, CD, CG.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Fans Forum on 14:42 - Jul 29 with 1690 viewsLuke8686

Fans Forum on 14:24 - Jul 29 by tony_roch975

Season Ticket figures I noted were:-
1200 sold - predict 1425 by end Aug
257 Under 11s
573 Adult
237 Seniors
43 youth
69 other juniors
(27 ??)
It's true there weren't any contentious debates, possible because lots has been covered in interviews on Player etc. CG tributes were well meant & well deserved. Colin plans a good handover period which makes sense in a 'one-man' operation like our back office.
Other other thing I noted was how lucid, amazingly open & honest Keith was throughout his answers - about players, EFL and his career. Also good banter between the big 3 - KH, CD, CG.

Aren't ST only on sale until the start of the season? I'm thinking about 1300 will be the final number
Fans Forum on 14:54 - Jul 29 with 1644 viewsdawlishdale

Fans Forum on 14:42 - Jul 29 by Luke8686

Aren't ST only on sale until the start of the season? I'm thinking about 1300 will be the final number

According to the letter that was sent to Sandyman (one that I haven't had myself as a lapsed ST holder) Season Tickets are only on sale upto the day before our first home game of the season.

Thus, we only have 1 week left to increase sales, and get the 11's and under kids signed up.

Might be looking at another 20-30 more ticket sales...but not many more.
Fans Forum on 15:24 - Jul 29 with 1539 viewsdingdangblue

Fans Forum on 14:54 - Jul 29 by dawlishdale

According to the letter that was sent to Sandyman (one that I haven't had myself as a lapsed ST holder) Season Tickets are only on sale upto the day before our first home game of the season.

Thus, we only have 1 week left to increase sales, and get the 11's and under kids signed up.

Might be looking at another 20-30 more ticket sales...but not many more.

I think they are still available to buy after the Peterborough game - but it would be a bit pointless to be honest as the value goes down from poor to really poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024