Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans Forum 17:33 - Jul 28 with 15222 views442Dale

Could anyone who is going provide details for those of us unable attend in this thread please?

It's only fair because I usually take pen and paper to make notes for the rest of you, without a word of thanks*

*not strictly a fact. Others often report back too. Please do so again.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans Forum on 23:27 - Jul 29 with 2017 viewsTVOS1907

Fans Forum on 21:43 - Jul 29 by BartRowou

The easy way of advertising the season tickets to primary schools is to send out leaflets and hope for the best.

The harder, but better, way is to identify Dale fans working in primary schools. This involves a bit of effort and connecting with the fan base.

Once one is found, I can guarantee that they will know of other Dale fans working in primary schools in Rochdale. Or at least they will know who the teacher is in the local schools who sees the value in promoting a season ticket to the kids in their school.

I would say 95% of staff in primary schools, both male and female, have little or no interest in football, especially at our level.

If you just send out leaflets, they will end up in the paper recycling bin along with all the other ones advertising dance clubs, drama clubs and the like. You need someone on the inside to drive it.

Barty, I would say identify Dale fans working in ANY schools as there's a chance they would know others in primary schools or with primary school connections,
[Post edited 30 Jul 2016 8:13]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fans Forum on 07:58 - Jul 30 with 1859 viewsTrueDaleBlue

Regarding the schools targeted for the free tickets and leaflets sent to schools to hand out to all kids, it's not upto the schools to do this when getting nothing back, the players, management, chief executive, marketing department should be going into schools to promote them, not just sending leaflets and hoping for the best.
It was also only year 1 kids that were invited to the ground.
Fans Forum on 09:21 - Jul 30 with 1769 viewsPorlicks

Why don't we flood the ground with these Pokemon Go things on a Saturday afternoon. Come and see Pikachu on the Spotland pitch.

I admit to knowing nothing about this game, though I've heard pubs are using it to attract adult (yes, adult) pokemon trainers.

Who are YOU with?

Fans Forum on 09:38 - Jul 30 with 1748 views442Dale

Fans Forum on 09:21 - Jul 30 by Porlicks

Why don't we flood the ground with these Pokemon Go things on a Saturday afternoon. Come and see Pikachu on the Spotland pitch.

I admit to knowing nothing about this game, though I've heard pubs are using it to attract adult (yes, adult) pokemon trainers.

10p admin fee for each Pokemon caught?

IT'S A WINNER.

Fans Forum on 09:39 - Jul 30 with 1746 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 09:21 - Jul 30 by Porlicks

I haven't got a clue what Pokeman is and I don't ever want to find out. Somebody invited me to play Candycrush with her yesterday, she might as well as been talking in Chinese. I honestly didn't know what she was on about and this is a middle aged woman I am talking about!

Apparantly it's a game you can play on line.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2016 9:41]
Fans Forum on 09:45 - Jul 30 with 1735 views442Dale

Fans Forum on 09:39 - Jul 30 by TalkingSutty

I haven't got a clue what Pokeman is and I don't ever want to find out. Somebody invited me to play Candycrush with her yesterday, she might as well as been talking in Chinese. I honestly didn't know what she was on about and this is a middle aged woman I am talking about!

Possibly the biggest euphemism this messageboard has ever seen.

You missed out there, TS.

Fans Forum on 09:51 - Jul 30 with 1721 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 09:45 - Jul 30 by 442Dale

Possibly the biggest euphemism this messageboard has ever seen.

You missed out there, TS.

That was my initial though but she blurted it out in front of friends so i didn't get my hopes up.
Fans Forum on 11:25 - Jul 30 with 1634 viewsdingdangblue

Fans Forum on 09:39 - Jul 30 by TalkingSutty

You are lucky she didn't invite you to poke her man.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Fans Forum on 12:04 - Jul 30 with 1586 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 11:25 - Jul 30 by dingdangblue

You are lucky she didn't invite you to poke her man.

I thought it was a game called Poke a Mango

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 12:15 - Jul 30 with 1558 views442Dale

Fans Forum on 07:58 - Jul 30 by TrueDaleBlue

Regarding the schools targeted for the free tickets and leaflets sent to schools to hand out to all kids, it's not upto the schools to do this when getting nothing back, the players, management, chief executive, marketing department should be going into schools to promote them, not just sending leaflets and hoping for the best.
It was also only year 1 kids that were invited to the ground.

This would mean doing something I alluded to earlier: monitoring which schools each kid who gets a ST goes to and asking whoever buys it if they received info via their school. It would identify which schools are engaged with the club and which require a bit more work.

Presumably the club could provide full information about what schools were visited by players too.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2016 12:19]

Fans Forum on 13:32 - Jul 30 with 1483 viewsPorlicks

I've never seen the fliers, so this is purely my own reasoning:

The kids bring the flier to get the season ticket. Flier has a code. Know which school they came from.

Flier contains a QR code to scan on a mobile to join Junior Dale (does that still exist?) or whatever. Short questionnaire to complete.

Fliers can be brought to games for some kind of discount for kids. Fill out a short form to get discount.

Flier ink contains nano-technology that allows the club to track anyone who has touched it.

Who are YOU with?

Fans Forum on 13:38 - Jul 30 with 1460 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 13:32 - Jul 30 by Porlicks

I've never seen the fliers, so this is purely my own reasoning:

The kids bring the flier to get the season ticket. Flier has a code. Know which school they came from.

Flier contains a QR code to scan on a mobile to join Junior Dale (does that still exist?) or whatever. Short questionnaire to complete.

Fliers can be brought to games for some kind of discount for kids. Fill out a short form to get discount.

Flier ink contains nano-technology that allows the club to track anyone who has touched it.

I could be wrong, but due to any activity that involves other people's kids these days, I suspect the club won't touch any of these ideas with a bargepole. It might also explain why they've "left it to the schools" - those hotbeds of marketing. As well as making life easier for themselves, of course.

Fans Forum on 13:51 - Jul 30 with 1419 viewsWhiteyBFC

Fans Forum on 23:07 - Jul 28 by dingdangblue

He mentioned his experience at Barnsley, said wouldn't have changed it and its made him a better manager because of it. Said he hated not having total control of things - something he loves at Dale, fought too many battles and maybe shouldn't have - but felt had something until it all unravelled with injuries to key players and players sold. Ah well - we'd be lost without him.

*LONG WINDED.

And he'd be spot on with that assessment of his tenure. Nothing said there that I disagree with. But there's a lot of context missing and of course, he also made some huge mistakes, which I accept he's not going to admit to. Why would he?

He was never going to have total control of things at Barnsley. He'd be fortunate to get that at any other club barring Dale. It's just not how football clubs are run these days. I would suggest he had more control here though than Heckingbottom currently has. And in terms of finance, budgets and players available to him, I think he had a better chance of achieving something here in 2011 than Hecky will now have in 2016, such has been the massive increase of finance in the Championship.

And to be fair to Keith, he got it very, very right in 2011. Not everything worked, but for that first four months he cobbled an exciting matchday squad together who played great football and attacked the playoffs. In the Championship. With the smallest budget. By using experienced heads already there, promising academy players, young loanees and his own lower league and free transfer additions. His reputation has never been as great as it was then.

Then January arrived and he lost every key player. Every one. Butterfield, Drinkwater, Vaz Te, Perkins and Steele. And the one area he hadn't improved, the defence, that was now there to be attacked by the opposition now we were robbed of our array of midfield and forward talents. And his replacements were laughably poor, to a man. We stayed up due to another clubs poor mathematics. 2012 will always be the worst calendar year for BFC in terms of results and the football served up. And you lot know exactly how hard it is to listen to Keith when things aren't great. But those runs don't last long at Dale. Imagine a good six or seven months of it...

He had a second bash at it that summer and again, looked liked he'd maybe worked some magic. But his infighting with former director Don Rowing had taken over by then. It was like listening to two kids fighting, with each interview or comment made. Rumours of him applying for other jobs, rumours of a takeover, none of that helped. His decision to recruit Mido definitely didn't. And by the end he'd stopped picking Hassell, Foster, Stones and Dagnall and selected some terrible loanees and had the player the fans didn't rate - Wiseman - as captain. He had to go. I agreed with his departure, but I have never been as gutted when finding out one of our managers had gone. (I was very angry when Wilson went last year but understand why that happened now)
But aye, gutted when Keith went. Because I felt he could have made it work here, had Mr Cryne been the presence he now is at Oakwell. But a long running court case and serious illness made that impossible. Patrick still often refers to Keith positively.

And when he pitched back up at Dale I found it sad. His first photos taken then at Spotland, the difference in his look compared to the bloke who waltzed into Oakwell... huge difference. I felt we'd broken him. And that's sad. But we hadn't. Not at all. We'd made him stronger. It was exactly what he needed. And Dale have benefited from it massively. And so will the next club should he ever be given an opportunity that suits him.

He turned us down initially, remember? Bit of a sliding doors moment.

No apologies for the long ramble. I warned folk at the top.
Fans Forum on 13:56 - Jul 30 with 1410 viewsWhiteyBFC

Fans Forum on 23:09 - Jul 28 by TVOS1907

Only saw Oxford in the trophy final v yourselves, but Roofe will be big loss for them.

O'Dowda will be a big loss too.

But Crowley, Hemmings, Nelson, Rothwell, Maguire, Eastwood, Hall, Martin, Thomas, Ribeiro.... all should be able to thrive at that level. Getting them to work as a unit might be the issue, and I'm not a fan of Appleton as a manager. But I expect them to be an entertaining side to watch at least and playoff contenders. Good fanbase too which helps.

So long as Dale do well and three sides other than Sheff Utd are promoted, I'll be happy with the 2016-17 League One season.
Fans Forum on 13:58 - Jul 30 with 1398 viewsSaxonDale

Fans Forum on 13:51 - Jul 30 by WhiteyBFC

*LONG WINDED.

And he'd be spot on with that assessment of his tenure. Nothing said there that I disagree with. But there's a lot of context missing and of course, he also made some huge mistakes, which I accept he's not going to admit to. Why would he?

He was never going to have total control of things at Barnsley. He'd be fortunate to get that at any other club barring Dale. It's just not how football clubs are run these days. I would suggest he had more control here though than Heckingbottom currently has. And in terms of finance, budgets and players available to him, I think he had a better chance of achieving something here in 2011 than Hecky will now have in 2016, such has been the massive increase of finance in the Championship.

And to be fair to Keith, he got it very, very right in 2011. Not everything worked, but for that first four months he cobbled an exciting matchday squad together who played great football and attacked the playoffs. In the Championship. With the smallest budget. By using experienced heads already there, promising academy players, young loanees and his own lower league and free transfer additions. His reputation has never been as great as it was then.

Then January arrived and he lost every key player. Every one. Butterfield, Drinkwater, Vaz Te, Perkins and Steele. And the one area he hadn't improved, the defence, that was now there to be attacked by the opposition now we were robbed of our array of midfield and forward talents. And his replacements were laughably poor, to a man. We stayed up due to another clubs poor mathematics. 2012 will always be the worst calendar year for BFC in terms of results and the football served up. And you lot know exactly how hard it is to listen to Keith when things aren't great. But those runs don't last long at Dale. Imagine a good six or seven months of it...

He had a second bash at it that summer and again, looked liked he'd maybe worked some magic. But his infighting with former director Don Rowing had taken over by then. It was like listening to two kids fighting, with each interview or comment made. Rumours of him applying for other jobs, rumours of a takeover, none of that helped. His decision to recruit Mido definitely didn't. And by the end he'd stopped picking Hassell, Foster, Stones and Dagnall and selected some terrible loanees and had the player the fans didn't rate - Wiseman - as captain. He had to go. I agreed with his departure, but I have never been as gutted when finding out one of our managers had gone. (I was very angry when Wilson went last year but understand why that happened now)
But aye, gutted when Keith went. Because I felt he could have made it work here, had Mr Cryne been the presence he now is at Oakwell. But a long running court case and serious illness made that impossible. Patrick still often refers to Keith positively.

And when he pitched back up at Dale I found it sad. His first photos taken then at Spotland, the difference in his look compared to the bloke who waltzed into Oakwell... huge difference. I felt we'd broken him. And that's sad. But we hadn't. Not at all. We'd made him stronger. It was exactly what he needed. And Dale have benefited from it massively. And so will the next club should he ever be given an opportunity that suits him.

For those who don't want to read all of Whitey's post, the mandatory Bobby Hassell reference is on the 26th line.
Fans Forum on 14:04 - Jul 30 with 1384 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 13:51 - Jul 30 by WhiteyBFC

*LONG WINDED.

Not often I say this at the end of a Whitey ramble, but bloody good post - all of it worth reading - and thanks for issuing the warning up front.

Fans Forum on 14:19 - Jul 30 with 1351 viewsWhiteyBFC

Fans Forum on 13:58 - Jul 30 by SaxonDale

For those who don't want to read all of Whitey's post, the mandatory Bobby Hassell reference is on the 26th line.

Facts are mandatory in my posts, pal.
Fans Forum on 14:20 - Jul 30 with 1346 viewsWhiteyBFC

Fans Forum on 14:04 - Jul 30 by D_Alien

Not often I say this at the end of a Whitey ramble, but bloody good post - all of it worth reading - and thanks for issuing the warning up front.

"and up front today we've got Calvin Andrew and The Warning"
Fans Forum on 14:33 - Jul 30 with 1327 viewsSaxonDale

Fans Forum on 14:19 - Jul 30 by WhiteyBFC

Facts are mandatory in my posts, pal.

Except for the bit about Foster not being picked, he started Hill's last game.

I must agree with D_Alien though, a very good post.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2016 14:35]
Fans Forum on 14:59 - Jul 30 with 1269 viewsPorlicks

Fans Forum on 13:38 - Jul 30 by D_Alien

I could be wrong, but due to any activity that involves other people's kids these days, I suspect the club won't touch any of these ideas with a bargepole. It might also explain why they've "left it to the schools" - those hotbeds of marketing. As well as making life easier for themselves, of course.

I meant all of them with parental consent.

But I do realise that I do look a bit creepy suggesting them now.

More on-topic. I can imagine the attendance on the first day being quite brutal. A nice, sunny day would help, but the opposition is uninspiring and most of us don't really believe we are playing for much above staying up again.But we know now that attendances aren't actually that important to our survival, so don't worry about it.

Who are YOU with?

Fans Forum on 15:06 - Jul 30 with 1245 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 14:59 - Jul 30 by Porlicks

I meant all of them with parental consent.

But I do realise that I do look a bit creepy suggesting them now.

More on-topic. I can imagine the attendance on the first day being quite brutal. A nice, sunny day would help, but the opposition is uninspiring and most of us don't really believe we are playing for much above staying up again.But we know now that attendances aren't actually that important to our survival, so don't worry about it.

Don't think your suggestions made you look creepy at all* My comment was more a reflection on what the prevailing mood within the club might be, with ultra-caution in this respect reflecting the similar ultra-cautious approach to security at the ground resulting in ridiculously over-the-top fan searches.

Agree about next week's attendance. I think it was TS who commented that last season's fixture saw an approx. 10% drop from the previous year (albeit that being the first home game after promotion). I don't think it'll be as low as he suggested, but certainly a further drop of at least 10% to below the 3000 mark is on the cards. It's not an attractive fixture and if the weather's half decent most families with kids will be somewhere else.

* the trackable ink might give a couple of "hangers on" summat to do during the week!

[Post edited 30 Jul 2016 15:13]

Fans Forum on 15:16 - Jul 30 with 1212 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 14:20 - Jul 30 by WhiteyBFC

"and up front today we've got Calvin Andrew and The Warning"

Sounds like a decent reggae band, tbf

Fans Forum on 18:04 - Jul 30 with 1038 viewsWhiteyBFC

Fans Forum on 15:16 - Jul 30 by D_Alien

Sounds like a decent reggae band, tbf

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024