Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New left Back? 17:06 - Aug 24 with 5376 viewsClitheroeDale

Does anybody think Keith will sign another left back before the window closes, or stick with big Jim until he is either injured or suspended and then dabble into the loan market?
New left Back? on 17:08 - Aug 24 with 4051 viewsisitme

There is no loan market anymore between windows (apart from emergency loans for goalkeepers) so unless Keith brings someone in during the next week then that will be that until January.
New left Back? on 17:12 - Aug 24 with 4029 viewsleedsdale

In one of his recent interviews (think it was pre-MK Dons) he said he was looking for cover for central/right side of defence: no mention of a left back.
New left Back? on 17:34 - Aug 24 with 3955 viewsdingdangblue

Its ok Bunney can play there.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

New left Back? on 17:37 - Aug 24 with 3945 viewsmacro

New left Back? on 17:12 - Aug 24 by leedsdale

In one of his recent interviews (think it was pre-MK Dons) he said he was looking for cover for central/right side of defence: no mention of a left back.

Pinch of salt
New left Back? on 17:41 - Aug 24 with 3924 viewsColDale

New left Back? on 17:12 - Aug 24 by leedsdale

I suspect that may have been aimed at Raff given his injury was a "short term / long term / don't know".
New left Back? on 17:51 - Aug 24 with 3882 viewsChaffRAFC

I don't expect us to make another signing now which I think is a big mistake. I think we're in for a very long and very hard season. Seeing other sides of the same size stature sign players who would suit us perfectly and improve us massively while we're signing the likes of Joe Thompson and Reuben Noble-Lazarus and pinning our hopes on the likes of Joe Bunney and Calvin Andrew is very hard to stomach.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

New left Back? on 18:02 - Aug 24 with 3843 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Can Clubs sign players that are still unattached?

If so, there must still be a huge amount still swilling around looking for a deal?

Sort of Bargain Basement jobby, ......Skint Clubs like our can start to do business now.
New left Back? on 18:21 - Aug 24 with 3801 viewsisitme

New left Back? on 18:02 - Aug 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

Can Clubs sign players that are still unattached?

If so, there must still be a huge amount still swilling around looking for a deal?

Sort of Bargain Basement jobby, ......Skint Clubs like our can start to do business now.

Out of contract players can be signed outside of transfer windows.
Login to get fewer ads

New left Back? on 20:51 - Aug 24 with 3555 viewsboromat

If possible we'll sign someone who can play on the right side of defence either full back, central or ideally can play both. Keith hasn't mentioned the left side at all maybe he has more confidence in Tansers ability than we think. He played well in midfield the other day.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

New left Back? on 21:32 - Aug 24 with 3476 viewsCamdenDale

Should start playing Tanser at LB week in week out. Or ship him out. He's not complete but won't get any better on the bench - give him his head.
New left Back? on 22:13 - Aug 24 with 3379 viewsYorkshire_Dale

New left Back? on 20:51 - Aug 24 by boromat

If possible we'll sign someone who can play on the right side of defence either full back, central or ideally can play both. Keith hasn't mentioned the left side at all maybe he has more confidence in Tansers ability than we think. He played well in midfield the other day.

Scott T has only played 58 mins so far this season.......(In the poor show at Port Vale)

Give him a bit more game time please Mr Hill
New left Back? on 22:23 - Aug 24 with 3352 viewsJimmyRustler

Don't think we will sign anymore players. Worrying times ahead if so
New left Back? on 08:15 - Aug 25 with 3161 viewsChaffRAFC

New left Back? on 22:23 - Aug 24 by JimmyRustler

Don't think we will sign anymore players. Worrying times ahead if so

Agreed

New left Back? on 08:25 - Aug 25 with 3139 viewsTomRAFC

Even if Keith isn't looking to sign a left back particularly, we still lack defensive depth. Two injuries at once and we are stranded really.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

New left Back? on 08:40 - Aug 25 with 3119 viewsfitzochris

From what I've seen, should anything happen to either McGahey or Canavan, we're in trouble.

McNulty can cover there if one of them gets injured or suspended (given that Tanser is played at left back, of course), but if both come a cropper at the same time...?

Hill did say he was actively seeking cover for this area, and we've no reason to doubt that he is, so if we don't sign someone it will not be down to him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

New left Back? on 09:42 - Aug 25 with 3047 viewsD_Alien

New left Back? on 08:40 - Aug 25 by fitzochris

From what I've seen, should anything happen to either McGahey or Canavan, we're in trouble.

McNulty can cover there if one of them gets injured or suspended (given that Tanser is played at left back, of course), but if both come a cropper at the same time...?

Hill did say he was actively seeking cover for this area, and we've no reason to doubt that he is, so if we don't sign someone it will not be down to him.

Not sure I can agree with that. Having released Rhys Bennett, it'd be poor management not to have realistic plans in place - irons in the fire, if you like - to replace what he brought to the squad. Of course, any targets can choose to go elsewhere for whatever reason, but not to be able to sign any of them means those targets weren't realistic.

Hilly also knew that McNulty was undergoing a procedure on his ear during the summer, and it appears (no pun intended) it wasn't altogether successful. That's not his fault, but Big Jim seems to be playing under some kind of handicap and he needs taking out of the firing line. Tanser hasn't done anything to suggest he's not up to stepping into the breach. He never has, certainly no more than Raff who Hilly has shown more confidence in. Sometimes, that's all it takes. I digress of course, but add those things together and it's difficult to maintain that management isn't a factor in our defensive woes.

[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 9:48]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New left Back? on 10:03 - Aug 25 with 2999 viewsJimmyRustler

New left Back? on 09:42 - Aug 25 by D_Alien

Not sure I can agree with that. Having released Rhys Bennett, it'd be poor management not to have realistic plans in place - irons in the fire, if you like - to replace what he brought to the squad. Of course, any targets can choose to go elsewhere for whatever reason, but not to be able to sign any of them means those targets weren't realistic.

Hilly also knew that McNulty was undergoing a procedure on his ear during the summer, and it appears (no pun intended) it wasn't altogether successful. That's not his fault, but Big Jim seems to be playing under some kind of handicap and he needs taking out of the firing line. Tanser hasn't done anything to suggest he's not up to stepping into the breach. He never has, certainly no more than Raff who Hilly has shown more confidence in. Sometimes, that's all it takes. I digress of course, but add those things together and it's difficult to maintain that management isn't a factor in our defensive woes.

Releasing Rhys is starting to look like one of the biggest mistakes KH's made in a long time. Did we actually offer him a new deal?
New left Back? on 10:20 - Aug 25 with 2963 viewsdingdangblue

He's definitely done something to upset Hilly - Tanser hasn't started a game since the bury FA Cup defeat on Dec 6th last year. Before that he'd played in the run of 3 0-0 draws we had against Coventry,bury and Oldham.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

New left Back? on 10:33 - Aug 25 with 2943 viewsfitzochris

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. The problem I highlighted is that we only have two first XI centre halves, which you seem to be agreeing with.

Hill is trying to sign cover. If we don't sign anyone else, it won't be because he didn't want to, it will be because he was unable to.

New left Back? on 10:49 - Aug 25 with 2920 viewsTVOS1907

New left Back? on 10:20 - Aug 25 by dingdangblue

He's definitely done something to upset Hilly - Tanser hasn't started a game since the bury FA Cup defeat on Dec 6th last year. Before that he'd played in the run of 3 0-0 draws we had against Coventry,bury and Oldham.

He started at Port Vale last week, albeit in midfield.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

New left Back? on 11:01 - Aug 25 with 2878 viewsdingdangblue

New left Back? on 10:49 - Aug 25 by TVOS1907

He started at Port Vale last week, albeit in midfield.

At left back sorry.

New left Back? on 12:52 - Aug 25 with 2740 viewsboromat

Can't really blame Hill completely for his release list including Bennett as he offered contracts to Eastham and Lancashire. If just one of them would have signed I think we'd be looking a lot better now.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

New left Back? on 13:04 - Aug 25 with 2699 views442Dale

New left Back? on 12:52 - Aug 25 by boromat

Can't really blame Hill completely for his release list including Bennett as he offered contracts to Eastham and Lancashire. If just one of them would have signed I think we'd be looking a lot better now.

All about opinions of course, but for two players who had less than impressive seasons, Bennett was far more useful to have around than Lancashire. The latter has had brief stints in the other roles Bennett has excelled at times (RB and defensive midfield) and fans eyes still burn when remembering his attempts to play full back.

We can only go off what we see, and yes Bennett's injuries may not have helped, however to hear the manager saying he's looking for cover at right back and right-sided centre half is a bit frustrating when we had someone who could do both and more. He's also shown a lot more promise than RNL or Thompson have at any stage, yet they're apparently here to add numbers - something Bennett can do three times over.

Of course maybe much happened that we don't know and the player himself asked for more game time/a change in scenery and it was considered best for all parties that he moved on. It's that right now, it certainly appears not to have been best for Dale.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

New left Back? on 13:06 - Aug 25 with 2693 viewsfitzochris

New left Back? on 12:52 - Aug 25 by boromat

He released Bennett and we lost Lancashire and Eastham because they got better deals elsewhere. The latter two, Hill could do nothing about. So, Bennett looks to be his sole mistake on that front. I don’t dispute that for one second, not least because Bennett could fill other roles on the pitch than just full back and centre half.

Those three departures made signing defenders a priority. We made Canavan permanent and brought in McGahey. For me, those two replaced Lancashire and Eastham. That still left us well short of cover, though. It’s not been rectified as yet. That was the point I was making in my initial post.

But Hill is not sitting idle. He clearly recognises there is a problem and is actively trying to sort it. This isn’t one of his arms folded-denial-stubborn moments.

I agree that he shouldn’t have released Bennett without having someone else lined up (maybe he did and it all fell through). I know Hill has lost a few targets (who were realistic, by the way) to other clubs who offered more (unrealistic) money than we could. This led to Hill’s comments about the transfer market being more daft than usual this summer.

New left Back? on 13:19 - Aug 25 with 2665 viewsChaffRAFC

New left Back? on 13:06 - Aug 25 by fitzochris

He released Bennett and we lost Lancashire and Eastham because they got better deals elsewhere. The latter two, Hill could do nothing about. So, Bennett looks to be his sole mistake on that front. I don’t dispute that for one second, not least because Bennett could fill other roles on the pitch than just full back and centre half.

Those three departures made signing defenders a priority. We made Canavan permanent and brought in McGahey. For me, those two replaced Lancashire and Eastham. That still left us well short of cover, though. It’s not been rectified as yet. That was the point I was making in my initial post.

But Hill is not sitting idle. He clearly recognises there is a problem and is actively trying to sort it. This isn’t one of his arms folded-denial-stubborn moments.

I agree that he shouldn’t have released Bennett without having someone else lined up (maybe he did and it all fell through). I know Hill has lost a few targets (who were realistic, by the way) to other clubs who offered more (unrealistic) money than we could. This led to Hill’s comments about the transfer market being more daft than usual this summer.

All fair points but the fact he saw Holness as the answer to our problems is what worries me.

This summers recruitment has left a lot of fans worried and rightly so.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024