Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Respect for the Football Club!! 17:59 - Aug 27 with 9970 viewsTalkingSutty

Things aren't right are they? Ask yourself a question, do you support Keith Hill or the Football Club, the correct answer is the Football Club. He's been great for us Hilly but after scrutinising his recent recruitment of players, his comment about having the opportunity to move to other Clubs,I am left with the distinct feeling that his time at Rochdale is coming to an end. In a nutshell I reckon he's lost his mojo, his hunger or whatever you want to call it. I think he's gutted that the Bolton and Blackburns didn't come knocking in the Close Season.

The recruitment of Thompson, RNL and no doubt Holness given the chance, is the work of a manager who doesn't have the desire to push the team forward and better what we had only a few months previous, i can't see how anybody can argue that point?.

We have a Chairman and a bunch of Directors, their credentials can't really be questioned because they love the Club even though some of their decisions Have been poor at times and I think it's now the time to sit Hill down and remind him who runs the Club and who pays the wages. Find out what direction Hill wants to go in because it's quite obvious he's treading water at the moment, if he's not happy then a parting of the ways should be sorted out. If he's 100% committed to staying and pushing us onwards then excellent.

The Future of the Football Club is more important than Keith Hills and if he's just plodding along until the next opportunity comes along then it's the Club who will suffer. I don't buy into the theory that he's had his budget slashed that's a non starter but the whole atmosphere around the Club at the moment is downbeat and the recruitment of certain players can only be described as flabbergasting.

I fully expect to get flamed for this post but somebody as got to ask the question.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:25 - Aug 27 with 2271 viewsdingdangblue

Respect for the Football Club!! on 18:41 - Aug 27 by DaleFan7

I'll react to paying customers the same way he has to do when I go to work on Tuesday. See how long i last.

Even if they boo and moan at you for 90 mins?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:27 - Aug 27 with 2255 viewsrochdalefan9

Keith Hill is still a good manager and has done tremendous things for our football club.Have we already forgotten what he has done for us already? Promotion twice, highest league position, more league points than ever and now we have even got our own ground. Ok the club could have handled things differently regarded season tickets in the summer but to actually own the ground is a miracle in itselF for a club our size.

Are we forgetting 2012 when Hill went to Barnsley and we had three managers in one season and got relegated by 12 points.! Two years later he brought us back up and we have been doing well for the most partin League One. In the 80s (when we were lucky to finish above the re-election area did we even think we would ever be a third division side (as it would have been then)?

Keith has done a lot for this club. Isn't it time we got behind him and all pulled together to show our appreciation for the work he and the club have done over the last few years. We have injuries to important players at the moment but they will be back. With such a small fanbase it is hard to find good players and he does seem disconsolate at the moment and at a loss as to what to do. This is when he needs us to get behind him.and sacking the manager is not always a wise move.
If he wants to leave (or feels he has done all he can for Rochdale) then maybe he should go but it should be his decision. I only know that exciting things have happened since he became manager of Rochdale and I for one would love him to be manager for many years to come.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:30 - Aug 27 with 2232 views442Dale

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:25 - Aug 27 by dingdangblue

Having moved from the Main Stand to the Sandy this season I can't comment on today, however that situation never existed previously. The were the odd moaners at every game who were often ridiculed by those around them, yet their shouts would lead to what we've seen before - interviews that then get picked up by the bloody Ob.

Have to say that having returned to the Sandy after many years, the abuse that's dished out is far more extreme in there. But again it's very isolated and the random people that do are more good entertainment than anything much of a negative!

Add to that: the support was very good when 1-0 down. Fans willing the team on when after the start we've made you might expect some to really get on players backs. It didn't happen.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:45 - Aug 27 with 2192 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:27 - Aug 27 by rochdalefan9

Keith Hill is still a good manager and has done tremendous things for our football club.Have we already forgotten what he has done for us already? Promotion twice, highest league position, more league points than ever and now we have even got our own ground. Ok the club could have handled things differently regarded season tickets in the summer but to actually own the ground is a miracle in itselF for a club our size.

Are we forgetting 2012 when Hill went to Barnsley and we had three managers in one season and got relegated by 12 points.! Two years later he brought us back up and we have been doing well for the most partin League One. In the 80s (when we were lucky to finish above the re-election area did we even think we would ever be a third division side (as it would have been then)?

Keith has done a lot for this club. Isn't it time we got behind him and all pulled together to show our appreciation for the work he and the club have done over the last few years. We have injuries to important players at the moment but they will be back. With such a small fanbase it is hard to find good players and he does seem disconsolate at the moment and at a loss as to what to do. This is when he needs us to get behind him.and sacking the manager is not always a wise move.
If he wants to leave (or feels he has done all he can for Rochdale) then maybe he should go but it should be his decision. I only know that exciting things have happened since he became manager of Rochdale and I for one would love him to be manager for many years to come.

You're the only person on this thread who mentioned sacking the manager, I don't see that happening because he doesn't deserve that.

It's a suggestion that the recruitment of a certain standard of footballers and probably Holness if he hadn't have picked up an injury indicates that he has no desire to improve the squad from what we had last year. Players who are not deemed good enough to be picked up by a National League Club.

It's reasonable for supporters to question the managers hunger and desire in these circumstances, to just keep schtum wouldn't be normal. Obviously some will misread the posts and interpret the thread as 'sack the manager' when it's nothing of the sort.

It's about grown men sitting in a room and being honest about the way forward,one way or the other. The only tune I dance too is my wife's, certainly not a lower league football managers so Hill needs to change the record on that one. The mans a complete control freak to the point he's looking for faults that don't even exist.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:11 - Aug 27 with 2122 viewsrochdalefan9

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:45 - Aug 27 by TalkingSutty

You're the only person on this thread who mentioned sacking the manager, I don't see that happening because he doesn't deserve that.

It's a suggestion that the recruitment of a certain standard of footballers and probably Holness if he hadn't have picked up an injury indicates that he has no desire to improve the squad from what we had last year. Players who are not deemed good enough to be picked up by a National League Club.

It's reasonable for supporters to question the managers hunger and desire in these circumstances, to just keep schtum wouldn't be normal. Obviously some will misread the posts and interpret the thread as 'sack the manager' when it's nothing of the sort.

It's about grown men sitting in a room and being honest about the way forward,one way or the other. The only tune I dance too is my wife's, certainly not a lower league football managers so Hill needs to change the record on that one. The mans a complete control freak to the point he's looking for faults that don't even exist.

ok my mistake.............just that many clubs seem to see the only way out of difficulties is sacking the manager. That certainly wouldn't be fair on Hill. Right now I think he needs all the encouragement he can get as we all do in hard times. He has said himself in the past that he will sometimes get things wrong.

Often arrogance can hide a sensitive heart . Is there any way of moving those fans who want to give him abuse all the way through every game. I am sure they wouldn't like it if people did it to them
Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:20 - Aug 27 with 2085 views442Dale

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:11 - Aug 27 by rochdalefan9

ok my mistake.............just that many clubs seem to see the only way out of difficulties is sacking the manager. That certainly wouldn't be fair on Hill. Right now I think he needs all the encouragement he can get as we all do in hard times. He has said himself in the past that he will sometimes get things wrong.

Often arrogance can hide a sensitive heart . Is there any way of moving those fans who want to give him abuse all the way through every game. I am sure they wouldn't like it if people did it to them

Where are these fans who abuse him all game? that wasn't the case today was it?

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:20 - Aug 27 with 2081 viewsjudd

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:11 - Aug 27 by rochdalefan9

He is getting paid handsomely by the club, isn't he? I wouldn't begrudge him a single penny to be honest but after the game on the walk to the car his reaction after that fluke of a goal was the sole topic of conversation among many fans young and old.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:24 - Aug 27 with 2056 viewsNinco

Respect for the Football Club!! on 19:25 - Aug 27 by dingdangblue

I am not one to voice my opinions at the game whether they are good or bad, and I just leave Hill and the players to it, but I have always been a believer that if anyone does want to voice their opinions, they pay good money to watch Dale, so they are entitled to have their say. What Keith Hill needs to understand is that anything he hears from the dugout is the opinion of those few fans and not necessarily the opinions of everyone. I sit near the dugout and there are probably half a dozen fans at most who like to have their say. I know there will be others around the ground, but I am just talking about the ones Hill will be able to hear. When you think that there are probably 200 or more people sat behind Hill and only 5 or 6 are shouting negative comments, it puts it in perspective. KH needs to understand that no manager will ever please everyone and it is not worth getting upset over comments made by a few fans. At the end of the day, whether the comments he hears are encouragement or negative comments, we are all Dale fans and they shout them out because they want to see Dale win. None of us are going to pay for our tickets just so we can deliberately cause harm to Dale with whatever we shout out. We are all in this together and there is no need for a divide between the fans and the manager/players.
Login to get fewer ads

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:33 - Aug 27 with 2019 views442Dale

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:20 - Aug 27 by judd

He is getting paid handsomely by the club, isn't he? I wouldn't begrudge him a single penny to be honest but after the game on the walk to the car his reaction after that fluke of a goal was the sole topic of conversation among many fans young and old.

This is the main issue for me. One that only the football club can do something about, it's also not exclusive to the Hill situation today.

They need to recognise the feelings amongst the fanbase right now, the way people are thinking. One trip to the bar before games indicates that something is slightly amiss. Not sure what the answers are btw!

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:38 - Aug 27 with 1991 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:24 - Aug 27 by Ninco

I am not one to voice my opinions at the game whether they are good or bad, and I just leave Hill and the players to it, but I have always been a believer that if anyone does want to voice their opinions, they pay good money to watch Dale, so they are entitled to have their say. What Keith Hill needs to understand is that anything he hears from the dugout is the opinion of those few fans and not necessarily the opinions of everyone. I sit near the dugout and there are probably half a dozen fans at most who like to have their say. I know there will be others around the ground, but I am just talking about the ones Hill will be able to hear. When you think that there are probably 200 or more people sat behind Hill and only 5 or 6 are shouting negative comments, it puts it in perspective. KH needs to understand that no manager will ever please everyone and it is not worth getting upset over comments made by a few fans. At the end of the day, whether the comments he hears are encouragement or negative comments, we are all Dale fans and they shout them out because they want to see Dale win. None of us are going to pay for our tickets just so we can deliberately cause harm to Dale with whatever we shout out. We are all in this together and there is no need for a divide between the fans and the manager/players.

The best thing about going to a live football match is voicing your opinions though, cheering good play is always preferable but giving the manager advice regarding replacing players or tactics is something that happens at every football ground in the country, does Hilly think he is an exception to that?

Fans pay a lot of money to watch football and are entitled to voice their displeasure at a mis-placed pass or poor team selection/ tactics. It's Hills Achilles heel this without a doubt and it's the reason why he won't succeed at a bigger club. He really struggles with expectation and a far more demanding support base than Rochdale would absolutely crucify him.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:41 - Aug 27 with 1969 viewsjudd

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:33 - Aug 27 by 442Dale

This is the main issue for me. One that only the football club can do something about, it's also not exclusive to the Hill situation today.

They need to recognise the feelings amongst the fanbase right now, the way people are thinking. One trip to the bar before games indicates that something is slightly amiss. Not sure what the answers are btw!

There is a massive disconnect. Massive. For example no queue whatsoever at half time for food in Studd's berg Dungeon. Price of bitter up from £2.80 to £3.30 and it's pish. Kids home kit socks on way from Italy last week and on the shipping docs will now be in stock in a month or two. £3.50 per number and £1.00 per letter for back of shirts. Used to be 50p each. Regular season ticket holders no longer in attendance. A distinct absence of youth in the designated family area. Replica kit quality akin to a Vance Miller kitchen.

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:48 - Aug 27 with 1940 viewsdingdangblue

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:24 - Aug 27 by Ninco

Fans booed him because he stopped Logan going up. It was the correct decision. There were more than 5 or 6 booing. You say about paying your money and saying what you like. Near me in the Pearl St there are some terrible excuses for 'fans'. Foul mouthed abuse at individual players whenever a misplaced pass is made or they just dislike an individual player. I'm ashamed to be sat near them at times.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:58 - Aug 27 with 1906 viewsNinco

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:48 - Aug 27 by dingdangblue

Fans booed him because he stopped Logan going up. It was the correct decision. There were more than 5 or 6 booing. You say about paying your money and saying what you like. Near me in the Pearl St there are some terrible excuses for 'fans'. Foul mouthed abuse at individual players whenever a misplaced pass is made or they just dislike an individual player. I'm ashamed to be sat near them at times.

They were booing because we were losing at that point, and there were minutes left to do something about it. We can't carry on losing home games every week and Logan going to the edge of the area would have given us that extra option to head it back in to the area if they cleared the corner. If he had gone up, and they had counter attacked, the worst case scenario is that we would have lost 2-0 instead of 1-0. It's 0 points either way.

I think this was more about control rather than anything else as the fans shouted for Logan to go up and KH wanted to show he was in control by sending him back.

Either way, it wasn't worth losing his rag with the fans for. We all wanted the same thing.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:59 - Aug 27 with 1888 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 20:48 - Aug 27 by dingdangblue

A few of those in the Sandy Lane today and worse than anything I've heard in the TDS Stand, they need help i think. They are in the minority though and like I said, maybe a few could suffer with mental health problems,it's a shame.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:02 - Aug 27 with 1868 views442Dale

Will post here what's elsewhere in an attempt to diffuse all this, because the manager certainly has:

Hill has apologised for his language in the Daleplayer interview, makes mention of the family with children at the game.

Credit to him. Shall we leave today's incident there?

edit: he also said he thought the fans were very supportive and said there were no moans or groans. One of his most impressive interviews I've seen, honest about the way we're playing and accepting of his mistakes.
[Post edited 27 Aug 21:01]

Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:47 - Aug 27 with 1650 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:02 - Aug 27 by 442Dale

Will post here what's elsewhere in an attempt to diffuse all this, because the manager certainly has:

Hill has apologised for his language in the Daleplayer interview, makes mention of the family with children at the game.

Credit to him. Shall we leave today's incident there?

edit: he also said he thought the fans were very supportive and said there were no moans or groans. One of his most impressive interviews I've seen, honest about the way we're playing and accepting of his mistakes.
[Post edited 27 Aug 21:01]

Maybe that last gasp goal could prove to be a turning point and the bust up in the main stand released the pressure around the Stadium? I watched 94 minutes of probably the poorest game of football I've witnessed in League One and then did what I always do so missed the fireworks.

I'm predicting 2 or maybe 3 new players coming into the club this week and 3 points at Oxford. This time next week the forum will be a big love fest and Hilly will have the Club badge tattooed on his arse declaring his everlasting love to the club.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:49 - Aug 27 with 1636 viewsjudd

Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:47 - Aug 27 by TalkingSutty

Maybe that last gasp goal could prove to be a turning point and the bust up in the main stand released the pressure around the Stadium? I watched 94 minutes of probably the poorest game of football I've witnessed in League One and then did what I always do so missed the fireworks.

I'm predicting 2 or maybe 3 new players coming into the club this week and 3 points at Oxford. This time next week the forum will be a big love fest and Hilly will have the Club badge tattooed on his arse declaring his everlasting love to the club.

I think there's more chance of his arse being incorporated into the club crest full of lipstick marks tbh

Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:56 - Aug 27 with 1616 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 21:49 - Aug 27 by judd

I think there's more chance of his arse being incorporated into the club crest full of lipstick marks tbh

Respect for the Football Club!! on 22:07 - Aug 27 with 1587 viewsShun

"It's a suggestion that the recruitment of a certain standard of footballers and probably Holness if he hadn't have picked up an injury indicates that he has no desire to improve the squad from what we had last year."

Why is that a suggestion though? I hadn't come to that conclusion, nor has anyone else I speak to at Spotland. Surely the more logical explanation, and the one that's most natural to jump to, is that Hill is simply struggling to attract players, more than he ever has done before. If he had no desire to improve why would he have brought back Logan? I'm struggling to accept the absurdity that this means Hill has lost his passion for Rochdale.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:05 - Aug 27 with 1493 viewssandy_dale

Respect for the Football Club!! on 18:41 - Aug 27 by D_Alien

I'll agree, but I wish people would stop adding "I'll get flamed for this post" when they're simply putting forward their opinions

Probably because he big no it alls on this forum pipe up when someone has a different opinion to theirs.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:08 - Aug 27 with 1478 viewsD_Alien

Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:05 - Aug 27 by sandy_dale

Probably because he big no it alls on this forum pipe up when someone has a different opinion to theirs.

Aye. TS is renowned for his kowtowing to the big know it alls

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:16 - Aug 27 with 1450 viewsSaxonDale

Respect for the Football Club!! on 22:07 - Aug 27 by Shun

"It's a suggestion that the recruitment of a certain standard of footballers and probably Holness if he hadn't have picked up an injury indicates that he has no desire to improve the squad from what we had last year."

Why is that a suggestion though? I hadn't come to that conclusion, nor has anyone else I speak to at Spotland. Surely the more logical explanation, and the one that's most natural to jump to, is that Hill is simply struggling to attract players, more than he ever has done before. If he had no desire to improve why would he have brought back Logan? I'm struggling to accept the absurdity that this means Hill has lost his passion for Rochdale.

Well said. Whilst many things from this season have been far from perfect, I can't think of any logical reason why Hilly wouldn't be trying his utmost to improve the squad? This isn't a dig at those who are suggesting it, I'm just genuinely puzzled to why people think he would do such.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:50 - Aug 27 with 1390 viewsTalkingSutty

Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:16 - Aug 27 by SaxonDale

Well said. Whilst many things from this season have been far from perfect, I can't think of any logical reason why Hilly wouldn't be trying his utmost to improve the squad? This isn't a dig at those who are suggesting it, I'm just genuinely puzzled to why people think he would do such.

I'll give my reasoning but obviously it could be a load of crap.

Hilly stamps all over expectation, we all know that, it drives him mad and it brings with it extra pressures. The Chairman/ Directors came out with a statement maybe 6 weeks ago regarding purchasing the Stadium back and then even mentioned pushing the Club on to the Championship!! Hill wasn't at all happy with that and I am sure he made his feelings known in an interview shortly after. So basically it's the Boardrooms fault.

So after finishing so high in the league last season, to improve would have us challenging for a Play Off place which in turn gets the fans expectations raised and that's reinforced by the Championship comment coming out of the boardroom. Around about that time Holness, Thompson and RNL appear on the scene completely off the radar and expectation turns to devastation and everybody at the Club is firmly put in their place, followed by Hill making it known that he could have left the Club in the summer if he wanted. A comment that came from nowhere.

Managers always strive to constantly better their squad, they beg, steal and borrow and drive the Club forward and the recruitment of these players is the complete opposite of that. It's not down to the budget, you're not telling me we can only afford players who are not capable of being signed by National League Clubs.

Like I said, these are only my own thoughts and could be total bollo**s but you asked for an explanation and I can't think of anything else.
Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:59 - Aug 27 with 1369 viewsD_Alien

Respect for the Football Club!! on 23:50 - Aug 27 by TalkingSutty

I'll give my reasoning but obviously it could be a load of crap.

Hilly stamps all over expectation, we all know that, it drives him mad and it brings with it extra pressures. The Chairman/ Directors came out with a statement maybe 6 weeks ago regarding purchasing the Stadium back and then even mentioned pushing the Club on to the Championship!! Hill wasn't at all happy with that and I am sure he made his feelings known in an interview shortly after. So basically it's the Boardrooms fault.

So after finishing so high in the league last season, to improve would have us challenging for a Play Off place which in turn gets the fans expectations raised and that's reinforced by the Championship comment coming out of the boardroom. Around about that time Holness, Thompson and RNL appear on the scene completely off the radar and expectation turns to devastation and everybody at the Club is firmly put in their place, followed by Hill making it known that he could have left the Club in the summer if he wanted. A comment that came from nowhere.

Managers always strive to constantly better their squad, they beg, steal and borrow and drive the Club forward and the recruitment of these players is the complete opposite of that. It's not down to the budget, you're not telling me we can only afford players who are not capable of being signed by National League Clubs.

Like I said, these are only my own thoughts and could be total bollo**s but you asked for an explanation and I can't think of anything else.

Whether or not there's any truth in that line of reasoning, it's a line that circumstances and statements have given oxygen to. It'd be better if the circumstances didn't allow for these conclusions to be drawn, but the combination of factors you describe aren't unreasonable.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Respect for the Football Club!! on 00:40 - Aug 28 with 1306 viewsTVOS1907

Tell me about it...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024