Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim McNulty 18:01 - Aug 27 with 4538 viewsolympicdale

Not making this a scapegoat thread, but surely we need to be looking at getting in a new left back. All teams can see the weakness down our left side, needs to be addressed quickly.

Life is a game of fate.

Jim McNulty on 18:23 - Aug 27 with 4445 viewsPassmondsBlue

McNulty is not a bad player at L1 standard, the problem is he is being asked to play out of position and has unfortunately no cover in front of him. Henderson is playing left side of midfield and has a licence to go AWOL so McNulty is always going to be exposed. If you look at the right side with a true fullback (Raferty) playing in his regular position with a true right sided midfielder (Cannon) playing in front of him you will always have cover and they can work as a team. My suggestion would be to play McNulty and Canavan as the center backs with Tanser at left back with NML in front of him, this would free up Henderson to play upfront with Calvin or Davis.

Poll: Do yoy think sweetcorn is an idiot

Jim McNulty on 18:26 - Aug 27 with 4403 views442Dale

Jim McNulty on 18:23 - Aug 27 by PassmondsBlue

McNulty is not a bad player at L1 standard, the problem is he is being asked to play out of position and has unfortunately no cover in front of him. Henderson is playing left side of midfield and has a licence to go AWOL so McNulty is always going to be exposed. If you look at the right side with a true fullback (Raferty) playing in his regular position with a true right sided midfielder (Cannon) playing in front of him you will always have cover and they can work as a team. My suggestion would be to play McNulty and Canavan as the center backs with Tanser at left back with NML in front of him, this would free up Henderson to play upfront with Calvin or Davis.

Except McGahey is easily our best centre half and neither McNulty or Canavan would be comfortable at right CH. Definitely agree that Tanser deserves a chance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Jim McNulty on 18:28 - Aug 27 with 4365 viewsonedalefan

Noticed that he was moved to centre back for the last 10 minutes.
Jim McNulty on 18:33 - Aug 27 with 4334 viewsPassmondsBlue

Jim McNulty on 18:26 - Aug 27 by 442Dale

Except McGahey is easily our best centre half and neither McNulty or Canavan would be comfortable at right CH. Definitely agree that Tanser deserves a chance.

Agree that McGahey has done ok, I only had Canavan and McNulty together as they have played together last year and we have not had a clean sheet this season.

Poll: Do yoy think sweetcorn is an idiot

Jim McNulty on 18:37 - Aug 27 with 4303 views442Dale

Jim McNulty on 18:33 - Aug 27 by PassmondsBlue

Agree that McGahey has done ok, I only had Canavan and McNulty together as they have played together last year and we have not had a clean sheet this season.

That was with Eastham as the other CH and McNulty at LB. Canavan doesn't look anywhere near as effective on better pitches and playing a less direct style than we were last season when he and Holt arrived. His job then was to defend, nothing much more.

Jim McNulty on 18:39 - Aug 27 with 4287 viewsR17ALE

You're probably right about McGahey, but his distribution is appalling. The worst I've seen since Paul Butler!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Jim McNulty on 18:41 - Aug 27 with 4266 views442Dale

Jim McNulty on 18:39 - Aug 27 by R17ALE

You're probably right about McGahey, but his distribution is appalling. The worst I've seen since Paul Butler!

That side of his game has got worse with every match. The limitations around the personnel being employed in midfield is helping none of the defenders.

Yes, we're back onto Henderson again.

Jim McNulty on 18:41 - Aug 27 with 4258 viewsrochdalefan9

Tanser is a great player and would be fantastic at LB. Having Vincenti back from injury could make a huge difference to the side. Better to be in the bottom 4 in August than April so early days yet. Keith Hill is still the best manager we have had.
Login to get fewer ads

Jim McNulty on 18:46 - Aug 27 with 4226 viewsSalwaDale

Jim McNulty on 18:41 - Aug 27 by 442Dale

That side of his game has got worse with every match. The limitations around the personnel being employed in midfield is helping none of the defenders.

Yes, we're back onto Henderson again.

But we'll always come back to that, as he's not a particularly good midfielder and is next to useless defensively. You certainly would not think he's one of the best players we've ever had at present.

TBBT

Jim McNulty on 18:56 - Aug 27 with 4184 views442Dale

Jim McNulty on 18:46 - Aug 27 by SalwaDale

But we'll always come back to that, as he's not a particularly good midfielder and is next to useless defensively. You certainly would not think he's one of the best players we've ever had at present.

Surely a current player, who has had success as a forward, would be expressing to his manager if he was unhappy playing a role in which he was struggling? Or his manager would be asking the player how he's finding the position as he's visibly not playing well there?

If a player is happy, the manager and the fans are happy. Usually.

Jim McNulty on 19:11 - Aug 27 with 4128 viewsD_Alien

Jim McNulty on 18:56 - Aug 27 by 442Dale

Surely a current player, who has had success as a forward, would be expressing to his manager if he was unhappy playing a role in which he was struggling? Or his manager would be asking the player how he's finding the position as he's visibly not playing well there?

If a player is happy, the manager and the fans are happy. Usually.

I could easily be wrong, but my reading of the situation is that Hendo is playing deeper at his own request, in order to be more regularly involved in the game. For long periods last season he played as a lone frontman and whilst he put in some good shifts in terms of effort and closing down, he subsequently expressed disillusionment.

Surely he's best at the head of a midfield diamond, playing off a frontman? It's in persisting with something that's clearly not working that causes fans disillusionment, and growing frustration with both manager and player that then leads to unfortunate confrontations.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jim McNulty on 20:54 - Aug 27 with 3952 viewsolympicdale

Been really impressed with McGahey, strong as a bull, Canavan looks a shadow of the player from last season so far.

Life is a game of fate.

Jim McNulty on 21:56 - Aug 27 with 3861 viewsDickydaler

Jim McNulty on 20:54 - Aug 27 by olympicdale

Been really impressed with McGahey, strong as a bull, Canavan looks a shadow of the player from last season so far.

I'm not quite as impressed. He's certainly a player who uses his strength to good effect but if he isn't careful I foresee a penalty on the horizon. I also thought his distribution was poor today. (Although it was pretty poor throughout the team at times today!)
Jim McNulty on 22:33 - Aug 27 with 3793 viewsolympicdale

Jim McNulty on 21:56 - Aug 27 by Dickydaler

I'm not quite as impressed. He's certainly a player who uses his strength to good effect but if he isn't careful I foresee a penalty on the horizon. I also thought his distribution was poor today. (Although it was pretty poor throughout the team at times today!)

The midfield has to take some responsibility, no one taking control to make themselves available to pay out from defence.

Life is a game of fate.

Jim McNulty on 23:18 - Aug 27 with 3714 viewssalty

Jim McNulty on 18:23 - Aug 27 by PassmondsBlue

McNulty is a terrible player at league one standard, no awareness, poor distribution, and offers nowt going forward,always looks lost to me with the ball at his feet. Cannon just wasted at right back, what we lose in midfield isn't worth the sacrifice, if we can play Joe bunney at left back I'm sure there is another alternative at right back. Canavan and mcgahey ok at best,defending ok but again no distribution so no build up play from the back.the defence just don't compliment each other they all look at each other as if any bit of responsibility is someone else's job!! Raff eastham O'connell and Tanser was the best for me for complimenting each other, not perfect but 100% better than this line. How Tanser is not playing at left back I'll never know but as they say"it's a game of opinions" how was Lancashire playing last season before eastham?
Jim McNulty on 08:23 - Aug 28 with 3577 viewsSwissdale

I'm completely baffled as to why Jim McNulty is still playing. I didn't think he was good enough at left back last season (not sure where to position himself, constantly being skinned) and this season he's been even worse.

I don't agree with the criticism of the other defenders though. I've actually been pleased with the defensive partnership of Canavan and McGahey (the latter in particular looks to use his strength really well to counteract his lack of pace).

Distribution from both hasn't been the best, but the options are pretty bloody limited. In our formation it should be Allen / Lund dropping deep to pick the ball up from them and spray it, which isn't happening all that much. The movement in general up top is poor, we dithered with the ball so many times yesterday on the half way line because nobody was making runs / finding space. Things only seem to happen for us at the moment when NML thinks "I've had enough, give me the ball and I'll just run at them", or its being pinged over the top to him.

Attack, not defence is where the biggest problems lie.
Jim McNulty on 08:38 - Aug 28 with 3556 viewsTalkingSutty

Jim McNulty on 08:23 - Aug 28 by Swissdale

I'm completely baffled as to why Jim McNulty is still playing. I didn't think he was good enough at left back last season (not sure where to position himself, constantly being skinned) and this season he's been even worse.

I don't agree with the criticism of the other defenders though. I've actually been pleased with the defensive partnership of Canavan and McGahey (the latter in particular looks to use his strength really well to counteract his lack of pace).

Distribution from both hasn't been the best, but the options are pretty bloody limited. In our formation it should be Allen / Lund dropping deep to pick the ball up from them and spray it, which isn't happening all that much. The movement in general up top is poor, we dithered with the ball so many times yesterday on the half way line because nobody was making runs / finding space. Things only seem to happen for us at the moment when NML thinks "I've had enough, give me the ball and I'll just run at them", or its being pinged over the top to him.

Attack, not defence is where the biggest problems lie.

To be honest I am baffled by the whole shooting match. Camps was a absolute star last season and from the start seems to have been frozen out, I don't know what the hell as gone on there.

Henderson being deployed as a midfield player when he clearly isn't. That decision instantly weakens the middle of the park and weakens our attacking threat so it's a double whammy. Did we need to bring Logan into the net to replace our own perfectly good goalkeeper, a keeper who swept the board at the end of season awards. Could we not have utilised that wage in another area of the pitch?

We just seem like a team full of individuals who are frightened to death to express themselves, like they have been hammered with tactical nonesense. Play the players in their best positions and simplify everything. We also need a Captain, a leader of men who is respected by all and sundry.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024