Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley 22:18 - Sep 13 with 5056 viewsdingdangblue

Wow- what a turnaround! Just under 12 months ago they were languishing at the bottom of league 1 and we were up near the playoffs. Now we are bottom of league 1 and they are beating Wolves 4-0 away and a point off top of the Championship! Its a funny old game.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Barnsley on 22:22 - Sep 13 with 5042 viewsD_Alien

Throw into that two winning visits to Wembley

Good luck to them

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Barnsley on 22:29 - Sep 13 with 5015 viewsfitzochris

They've even turned Saidy Janko into a decent player

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Barnsley on 22:40 - Sep 13 with 4988 viewsdingdangblue

Barnsley on 22:29 - Sep 13 by fitzochris

They've even turned Saidy Janko into a decent player

Dont know about that but they have some seriously good players going forward, Winnall, Hammill, Armstrong, Watkins,Kent, Bradshaw, Hourihane and money in the bank from Stones and Mawson sales. They've had some tough games too already! The place must be buzzing.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2016 1:34]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Barnsley on 22:59 - Sep 13 with 4940 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Barnsley on 22:40 - Sep 13 by dingdangblue

Dont know about that but they have some seriously good players going forward, Winnall, Hammill, Armstrong, Watkins,Kent, Bradshaw, Hourihane and money in the bank from Stones and Mawson sales. They've had some tough games too already! The place must be buzzing.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2016 1:34]

.......and just over 12 months since the "plant pot" mauling by Dale,crazy.
Barnsley on 16:24 - Sep 14 with 4507 viewsNewbury_Dale

They've spent a few quid to get there to be fair.
Barnsley on 16:33 - Sep 14 with 4493 viewsdingdangblue

Barnsley on 16:24 - Sep 14 by Newbury_Dale

They've spent a few quid to get there to be fair.

Not really? if you compare with the likes of Newcastle, Villa,Wolves, Derby, Sheff Weds. Compared to us - yes!
And theyve sold Alfie Mawson to Swansea for £5 million.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2
[Post edited 14 Sep 2016 16:35]

Barnsley on 17:29 - Sep 14 with 4429 viewsJimmyRustler

Barnsley on 16:33 - Sep 14 by dingdangblue

Not really? if you compare with the likes of Newcastle, Villa,Wolves, Derby, Sheff Weds. Compared to us - yes!
And theyve sold Alfie Mawson to Swansea for £5 million.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2
[Post edited 14 Sep 2016 16:35]

They also sold Holgate to Everton for around £2m
Barnsley on 18:00 - Sep 14 with 4389 viewsmilly

If it was just about money then Pompey would not be in the bottom tier and Sheff Utd not in L1.Still need a decent manager.Barnsley are doing brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley on 20:24 - Sep 14 with 4285 viewsmoth5368

Shock horror, it's not all about money! Are Barnsley affluent?
Barnsley on 22:36 - Sep 14 with 4183 viewsnordenblue

Barnsley on 20:24 - Sep 14 by moth5368

Shock horror, it's not all about money! Are Barnsley affluent?

Depends where they holiday really...
Barnsley on 08:11 - Sep 15 with 4061 views1907

Their recruitment has been fantastic. Every player they've signed is young, fast and talented. Getting Armstrong and Bradshaw as backup for Winnall was a great piece of work from the manager and Hourihane is a class above. I've always hated Barnsley going back to the Jones/Parkin debacle, but my feelings have certainly warmed over the last 12 months given what they've achieved. A great club with a fantastic support base, we can but wonder what we could achieve if the people of this town made any sort of effort to support their club equally.
Barnsley on 08:53 - Sep 15 with 4020 viewsfitzochris

Barnsley on 08:11 - Sep 15 by 1907

Their recruitment has been fantastic. Every player they've signed is young, fast and talented. Getting Armstrong and Bradshaw as backup for Winnall was a great piece of work from the manager and Hourihane is a class above. I've always hated Barnsley going back to the Jones/Parkin debacle, but my feelings have certainly warmed over the last 12 months given what they've achieved. A great club with a fantastic support base, we can but wonder what we could achieve if the people of this town made any sort of effort to support their club equally.

Your last line is particularly pertinent. While we could easily point to the ‘big clubs’ in the area taking potential fans away from us, I know from my time at university that plenty of folk who live in Barnsley support one of the Sheffield clubs or Leeds. Despite this, they still draw in a good number of the local folk from the town itself and the surrounding boroughs.

I remember Chris Dunphy telling me he was saddened by the fact that, historically, more people from the Littleborough area travel to watch Burnley than they do the Dale. Statistically, I don’t know how true that is, but you do wonder what it is that stops more people from the Rochdale area attending our home games.

It cannot solely be down to price, can it?

I know this has been debated ad infinitum across various threads on this board and, although I have form, I don’t want to hijack this thread and turn it into another one of those debates.

When I was a boy/teenager, Rochdale were classed as ‘shit’ by all but a select few of my peers. Some people grew up with different experiences, but that was definitely mine. There were Man Utd shirts, Man City, Liverpool shirts, Blackburn shirts and even Newcastle shirts worn by lads of my age, but very few Dale shirts. I remember those of us who went to watch Dale on Saturday were ridiculed (despite the fact it cost just £3 to attend and they didn’t go to watch the teams they purported to support). For me, it was that collective mentality that kept our gates low. It wasn’t entirely unjustified. After Sutton left, the football on display was quite often dire, and the adage ‘Dale are only decent until Christmas’ wasn’t entirely unfounded. Now, though, or at least for most of the past decade, we’ve been ace. It just hasn’t translated to the wider town and it is really quite sad.

Sorry. That all just came pouring out there.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2016 8:55]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Barnsley on 14:33 - Sep 15 with 3909 viewsdingdangblue

Absolutely stunning piece of skill and finish.

Barnsley on 14:44 - Sep 15 with 3892 viewspioneer

Barnsley on 08:53 - Sep 15 by fitzochris

Your last line is particularly pertinent. While we could easily point to the ‘big clubs’ in the area taking potential fans away from us, I know from my time at university that plenty of folk who live in Barnsley support one of the Sheffield clubs or Leeds. Despite this, they still draw in a good number of the local folk from the town itself and the surrounding boroughs.

I remember Chris Dunphy telling me he was saddened by the fact that, historically, more people from the Littleborough area travel to watch Burnley than they do the Dale. Statistically, I don’t know how true that is, but you do wonder what it is that stops more people from the Rochdale area attending our home games.

It cannot solely be down to price, can it?

I know this has been debated ad infinitum across various threads on this board and, although I have form, I don’t want to hijack this thread and turn it into another one of those debates.

When I was a boy/teenager, Rochdale were classed as ‘shit’ by all but a select few of my peers. Some people grew up with different experiences, but that was definitely mine. There were Man Utd shirts, Man City, Liverpool shirts, Blackburn shirts and even Newcastle shirts worn by lads of my age, but very few Dale shirts. I remember those of us who went to watch Dale on Saturday were ridiculed (despite the fact it cost just £3 to attend and they didn’t go to watch the teams they purported to support). For me, it was that collective mentality that kept our gates low. It wasn’t entirely unjustified. After Sutton left, the football on display was quite often dire, and the adage ‘Dale are only decent until Christmas’ wasn’t entirely unfounded. Now, though, or at least for most of the past decade, we’ve been ace. It just hasn’t translated to the wider town and it is really quite sad.

Sorry. That all just came pouring out there.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2016 8:55]

Barnsley have history, tradition etc going way back and hence their supporters have had something to cling to. Yes they have been up and down the divisions and played many seasons in same division as us. But they have always had ambition and belief that better things are possible despite their setting (in terms of neighbouring giants and economic decline in the town).

We have rarely shown any ambition or belief and continue to play the sackcloth and ashes, little Rochdale, poor crowds etc. That is the real difference.

There are many other clubs in not disimilar situations as our own, but who have risen, and often survived in the higher echelons. Crewe, York, Oldham, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Mansfield, Grimsby, Bradford City and one team I wont mention down the road.
Barnsley on 23:24 - Sep 15 with 3733 viewsWhiteyBFC

Barnsley on 14:33 - Sep 15 by dingdangblue

Absolutely stunning piece of skill and finish.

My Gary Neville impression there.

This year of 2016 has been incredible.

Our starting XI on Tuesday night cost £750,000 in total.

Wolves had a £7,000,000 player on the bench.

Mental.
Barnsley on 08:52 - Sep 29 with 3408 viewsD_Dale

Since that Wolves win, one point out of a possible nine.

And now the assistant manager suspended.

It's a funny old game.
Barnsley on 09:02 - Sep 29 with 3389 viewsroccydaleian

Barnsley on 14:44 - Sep 15 by pioneer

Barnsley have history, tradition etc going way back and hence their supporters have had something to cling to. Yes they have been up and down the divisions and played many seasons in same division as us. But they have always had ambition and belief that better things are possible despite their setting (in terms of neighbouring giants and economic decline in the town).

We have rarely shown any ambition or belief and continue to play the sackcloth and ashes, little Rochdale, poor crowds etc. That is the real difference.

There are many other clubs in not disimilar situations as our own, but who have risen, and often survived in the higher echelons. Crewe, York, Oldham, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Mansfield, Grimsby, Bradford City and one team I wont mention down the road.

Three of the teams you've mentioned have also dropped out of the league, bet that wasn't in their ambitious plans. Do you ever have anything positive to say or are you constantly looking at negatives?
Barnsley on 09:15 - Sep 29 with 3366 viewsD_Alien

Barnsley on 08:52 - Sep 29 by D_Dale

Since that Wolves win, one point out of a possible nine.

And now the assistant manager suspended.

It's a funny old game.

Interesting that it's a relative "small fry" who's been named and shamed so far - the Telegraph no doubt testing the waters ahead of the eight premiership managers they've alleged are taking bungs connected with transfer issues. (Allardyce and JFH are slightly different cases.)

Incredible that Wright was prepared to sell his footballing soul for just £5k - are Barnsley paying him peanuts? And when the deals involve buying the footballing souls and careers of players, so they can more or less tell them where to move and when i.e. when it's financially advantageous for the third party dealers, it really makes you question what's going on out on the pitch.

And people ask what Allardyce has done wrong, when he's basically tried to obtain £400k to help others perpetrate this kind of thing?

Barnsley on 09:21 - Sep 29 with 3354 viewsDaleiLama

Barnsley on 09:15 - Sep 29 by D_Alien

Interesting that it's a relative "small fry" who's been named and shamed so far - the Telegraph no doubt testing the waters ahead of the eight premiership managers they've alleged are taking bungs connected with transfer issues. (Allardyce and JFH are slightly different cases.)

Incredible that Wright was prepared to sell his footballing soul for just £5k - are Barnsley paying him peanuts? And when the deals involve buying the footballing souls and careers of players, so they can more or less tell them where to move and when i.e. when it's financially advantageous for the third party dealers, it really makes you question what's going on out on the pitch.

And people ask what Allardyce has done wrong, when he's basically tried to obtain £400k to help others perpetrate this kind of thing?

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I suspect the DT are drip-feeding this to get their names on every news bulletin for at least a week and probably a lot longer. Can't buy publicity like that.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 9:23]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Barnsley on 09:22 - Sep 29 with 3349 viewsdalenumber2

Barnsley on 09:21 - Sep 29 by DaleiLama

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I suspect the DT are drip-feeding this to get their names on every news bulletin for at least a week and probably a lot longer. Can't buy publicity like that.

Exactly what I thought
Barnsley on 09:27 - Sep 29 with 3327 viewsD_Alien

Barnsley on 09:21 - Sep 29 by DaleiLama

Aye, but I suspect it's more than just that. Possibly lawyers involved in the background, whereas Wright wouldn't have those resources.

Barnsley on 10:04 - Sep 29 with 3240 viewsDaleiLama

Barnsley on 09:27 - Sep 29 by D_Alien

Aye, but I suspect it's more than just that. Possibly lawyers involved in the background, whereas Wright wouldn't have those resources.

Mebees a bit of both, but I would have thought the DT had lawyers all over it before they began to slowly peel the lid off this thing, knowing the 24 hour non-stop news service would hoover up every last crumb.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Barnsley on 10:12 - Sep 29 with 3222 viewsD_Alien

Barnsley on 10:04 - Sep 29 by DaleiLama

Mebees a bit of both, but I would have thought the DT had lawyers all over it before they began to slowly peel the lid off this thing, knowing the 24 hour non-stop news service would hoover up every last crumb.

True, but their lawyers would no doubt have been in touch with the lawyers of the alleged managers (or those of their club) which, depending on competency can result in a more drawn-out process. Using Allardyce (to test the water around third party dealing cases) and then Wright (more directly involved) as a way of seeing which way the wind blows and priming opinion.

Barnsley on 10:36 - Sep 29 with 3154 viewsD_Dale

Barnsley on 09:15 - Sep 29 by D_Alien

Allardyce can - just about - pretend that he was answering questions in a general way, but Wright was filmed taking the five grand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-o

It isn't much to sell yourself for, but having had a lot of flattery and more than a few drinks he maybe didn't want to offend his new friends by refusing their little present. There have been bigger dodgy financial goings-on associated with Barnsley (allegedly).

Of course, the Telegraph is more concerned about its circulation than the integrity of English football, and will hype everything up, and drip out the story over several days, just as with the details of MPs' expenses a few years ago.
Barnsley on 10:41 - Sep 29 with 3139 viewsD_Alien

Barnsley on 10:36 - Sep 29 by D_Dale

Allardyce can - just about - pretend that he was answering questions in a general way, but Wright was filmed taking the five grand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-o

It isn't much to sell yourself for, but having had a lot of flattery and more than a few drinks he maybe didn't want to offend his new friends by refusing their little present. There have been bigger dodgy financial goings-on associated with Barnsley (allegedly).

Of course, the Telegraph is more concerned about its circulation than the integrity of English football, and will hype everything up, and drip out the story over several days, just as with the details of MPs' expenses a few years ago.

Agree with much of that. I'd question how much additional income the DT would derive from additional circulation when much of the story can be gleaned from other sources. It's a publicity coup, for sure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024