Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill's best away wins? 22:07 - Sep 25 with 3912 viewsdingdangblue

I'd say yesterday's win at Millwall must be up there as one of Hilly's best at Dale. The Den is an incredibly difficult place to get 3 points so it was a remarkable win for us - especially with our injury problems at present. Any others people can think of? Off the top of my head:

Southampton 0 Rochdale 2
Bournemouth 0 Rochdale 4
Bradford 0 Rochdale 3
Stockport 2 Rochdale 7
Mk Dons 0 Rochdale 1

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hill's best away wins? on 22:09 - Sep 25 with 3900 viewsrich_dale

3-2 at Orient a couple of years ago
Hill's best away wins? on 22:21 - Sep 25 with 3870 viewsLuke8686

Not a win but we secured a dramatic draw at Chesterfield in our 2014 promotion season. 2-0 down with a few minutes left and two injury time goals to make it 2-2.
Hill's best away wins? on 22:57 - Sep 25 with 3800 viewsAtThePeake

In terms of importance, the win at Bristol Rovers late in the last promotion season, especially from one goal down.

Tangled up in blue.

Hill's best away wins? on 23:09 - Sep 25 with 3772 viewsD_Alien

There was a win on the south coast, Exeter I think? not long after Hill returned to Dale when we were losing 1-0 with a couple of minutes to go and turned it round to win 1-2

Another defeat at that point would've seen us drop further towards the dodgy end of L2 but instead we never looked back after that

My top three would be Southampton, Bradford and Stockport

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill's best away wins? on 23:28 - Sep 25 with 3743 views100notout

Accrington Stanley 2 Dale 4

After being 2 -0 down and great reward for all those walkers!

Wasn't that the game that technically got us promoted?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Hill's best away wins? on 23:39 - Sep 25 with 3728 viewsShun

Hill's best away wins? on 23:28 - Sep 25 by 100notout

I don't think so, no (wasn't that Northampton at home?). But it certainly felt like it. The atmosphere after that game was more euphoric than one I've ever felt after a Dale game. There was just such a certainty around the place that we were going up, with a damn good chance of being champions too. Quite a lot of Stanley fans stayed behind to applaud us as well.

I'd say all 5 in ddb's list would be in my list of Hill's best away wins. There are a few others I'd put on a list of enjoyable away wins, such as the few times we've won at Valley Parade thanks to late goals, and the 4-3 at Chesterfield and 4-2 at Rotherham, but ddb's list are the 'best' away wins for me.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2016 23:42]
Hill's best away wins? on 23:49 - Sep 25 with 3707 viewsLaveritty

Hill's best away wins? on 23:09 - Sep 25 by D_Alien

There was a win on the south coast, Exeter I think? not long after Hill returned to Dale when we were losing 1-0 with a couple of minutes to go and turned it round to win 1-2

Another defeat at that point would've seen us drop further towards the dodgy end of L2 but instead we never looked back after that

My top three would be Southampton, Bradford and Stockport

Around about the same time we played Fleetwood away and turned in one of the most comfortable one-sided 3-0 victories you could ever wish to see. Think Hendo scored early on and we controlled the game. They got a penalty and I remember thinking it would have been a travesty had they scored but Josh saved it!

And to cap a perfect performance Gorgeous George scored as well - seem to remember his shot was almost saved but it managed to squirm over the line.

We knew then that we could start to look upwards and that the good times under Keith would soon be back after the wilderness years of Eyre and Coleman!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Hill's best away wins? on 23:50 - Sep 25 with 3704 viewsTVOS1907

Yes, mathematically it was, although that wasn't known until the season had finished.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Login to get fewer ads

Hill's best away wins? on 04:20 - Sep 26 with 3629 viewsdavidab2202

Hill's best away wins? on 23:50 - Sep 25 by TVOS1907

Yes, mathematically it was, although that wasn't known until the season had finished.

Can I throw in the win at Scuthorpe??I think it was only his third or fourth game into his time in charge.Was it a 4-1 win.Possibly went some way to him being given the job permanently. Thr rest is History as they say.
Hill's best away wins? on 07:15 - Sep 26 with 3562 viewsTVOS1907

Hill's best away wins? on 04:20 - Sep 26 by davidab2202

Can I throw in the win at Scuthorpe??I think it was only his third or fourth game into his time in charge.Was it a 4-1 win.Possibly went some way to him being given the job permanently. Thr rest is History as they say.

You're thinking of the 4-0 at Grimsby. We haven't won at Scunthorpe since Hill was a player with us.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hill's best away wins? on 09:44 - Sep 26 with 3404 views_dezzy

Hill's best away wins? on 07:15 - Sep 26 by TVOS1907

You're thinking of the 4-0 at Grimsby. We haven't won at Scunthorpe since Hill was a player with us.

Another not a win, but the confidence gained from coming back from 3 nil down to draw at Morecombe was massive that season.

KHBA

Hill's best away wins? on 11:00 - Sep 26 with 3315 viewsdingdangblue

Good mention's of Accrington and Bristol Rovers, and although they were massive wins in the context of the individual games I don't think either are wins that would stand out as being out of the ordinary. I think any win at Millwall goes down as that - I certainly didn't expect to get anything from the game on Saturday.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hill's best away wins? on 11:35 - Sep 26 with 3279 viewsD_Alien

Hill's best away wins? on 11:00 - Sep 26 by dingdangblue

Good mention's of Accrington and Bristol Rovers, and although they were massive wins in the context of the individual games I don't think either are wins that would stand out as being out of the ordinary. I think any win at Millwall goes down as that - I certainly didn't expect to get anything from the game on Saturday.

That's a good point ddb

Away wins that've been mentioned could be categorised as:

- most emphatic
- most entertaining
- most important for our league status
- most important for our morale
- most unexpected/historic

The Millwall win certainly fits that last category, plus for our morale

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill's best away wins? on 12:58 - Sep 26 with 3182 viewsColDale

No idea what category you'd stick it in but the 3-0 at Walsall must rank highly. They might not have the name or the glamour but were rightly top of the league at the time and we absolutely buried them. 3-0 was a flattering result for them.
Hill's best away wins? on 13:22 - Sep 26 with 3121 viewsR17ALE

I feel incredibly lucky to say I was at all 5 of DDB's list.

I think I'd add the 5-0 ? at Darlo to it as we were relying on Sako and Moyo-Modise up front and Darlo were a fancied side back then. Circa 2005 or 2006?

But to come from behind to win at Millwall is a reminder to those of us who been watching for decades, of how far we've come as a club.

Obviously those who haven't been going as long missed a cracker, having stayed in the pub once the team sheet was announced!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Hill's best away wins? on 13:30 - Sep 26 with 3100 viewsdeeplishblue

Hill's best away wins? on 13:22 - Sep 26 by R17ALE

I feel incredibly lucky to say I was at all 5 of DDB's list.

I think I'd add the 5-0 ? at Darlo to it as we were relying on Sako and Moyo-Modise up front and Darlo were a fancied side back then. Circa 2005 or 2006?

But to come from behind to win at Millwall is a reminder to those of us who been watching for decades, of how far we've come as a club.

Obviously those who haven't been going as long missed a cracker, having stayed in the pub once the team sheet was announced!

Surely the 5-0 Darlo was under Parkin?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/darlington-0
[Post edited 26 Sep 2016 13:32]

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Hill's best away wins? on 19:48 - Sep 26 with 2888 viewsboffley

HIGGY fron the arfway line
HIGGY from the arfway line
HIGGY from the arfway line
etc
etc
etc
Hill's best away wins? on 20:07 - Sep 26 with 2841 viewsNigeriamark

Hill's best away wins? on 11:35 - Sep 26 by D_Alien

That's a good point ddb

Away wins that've been mentioned could be categorised as:

- most emphatic
- most entertaining
- most important for our league status
- most important for our morale
- most unexpected/historic

The Millwall win certainly fits that last category, plus for our morale

- most emphatic - 7-2 at county
- most entertaining - I actually enjoyed beating Oldham last year . Although not a win I also enjoyed the 3-3 comeback against Morcambe
- most important for our league status 2 - 1 at Crewe to keep our status
- most important for our morale - 2-1 Bristol away to get us back on track
- most unexpected/historic - Southhampton 2-0 ??
Hill's best away wins? on 21:24 - Sep 26 with 2745 viewsdale18

I remember we beat chesterfield away 4-3 on a Tuesday night at Saltergate ? Perkins scored a hatrick ???
Hill's best away wins? on 14:00 - Sep 27 with 2489 viewsVespaDale

Hill's best away wins? on 21:24 - Sep 26 by dale18

I remember we beat chesterfield away 4-3 on a Tuesday night at Saltergate ? Perkins scored a hatrick ???

Yes i was just talking about this game yesterday. I was in Tenerife & a table of bury fans giving me grief, til i got the text saying Perkins had done it... I turned into a big headed get for 10 minutes rubbing it in
Hill's best away wins? on 17:02 - Oct 1 with 2324 viewsaleanddale

Charlton 0-1 Dale

Stick that on the fookin list!!!
Hill's best away wins? on 18:43 - Oct 1 with 2214 viewsBigKindo

Say please TVOS.

Didn't we win a cup game at Stoke some years ago? It was the first game ever played at the Britannia but for some reason Stoke didn't want it listed a the first official game. Didn't we also beat them on pens in a League Cup game early on in Mr Pullis's stint at the Britannia?

I know that these games were not in Hill's tenure.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2016 18:44]
Hill's best away wins? on 23:58 - Oct 1 with 2065 viewsTVOS1907

Hill's best away wins? on 18:43 - Oct 1 by BigKindo

Say please TVOS.

Didn't we win a cup game at Stoke some years ago? It was the first game ever played at the Britannia but for some reason Stoke didn't want it listed a the first official game. Didn't we also beat them on pens in a League Cup game early on in Mr Pullis's stint at the Britannia?

I know that these games were not in Hill's tenure.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2016 18:44]

The Britannia game was 1-1.

The win on penalties, after a 2-2 draw, was at Spotland.

Hill's best away wins? on 16:16 - Apr 19 with 1454 viewsaleanddale

Hopefully a memorable win on Saturday - one that can go onto this list!!!

Up the Dale!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024