Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 21:05 - Oct 19 with 2430 viewsSuddenLad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37709753

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 23:45 - Oct 19 with 2326 viewsanotherbiffo

RIP Gary Sprake, a very athletic but unorthodox goalie.

"Sprake, Hunter, Clark, Cooper, Charlton (J), Bremner, Jones, Giles, Lorimer..."

- mental furniture from my youth. Footballers don't often make very old bones - anyone know why?
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:14 - Oct 20 with 2284 viewsD_Alien

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 23:45 - Oct 19 by anotherbiffo

"Sprake, Hunter, Clark, Cooper, Charlton (J), Bremner, Jones, Giles, Lorimer..."

- mental furniture from my youth. Footballers don't often make very old bones - anyone know why?

On his day he was almost unbeatable, but he proved too unorthodox in the end and i seem to remember him costing Leeds some important games. Eventually dropped in favour of the less spectacular but steadier David Healey. Still, part of the great Leeds side of the 60s

As to why few footballers rarely live till a ripe old age, I suspect many have trouble with rapid weight gain once they stop training. Add that to wear and tear on joints and its not a recipe for longevity

RIP

[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 6:21]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:38 - Oct 20 with 2266 views1mark1

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:14 - Oct 20 by D_Alien

On his day he was almost unbeatable, but he proved too unorthodox in the end and i seem to remember him costing Leeds some important games. Eventually dropped in favour of the less spectacular but steadier David Healey. Still, part of the great Leeds side of the 60s

As to why few footballers rarely live till a ripe old age, I suspect many have trouble with rapid weight gain once they stop training. Add that to wear and tear on joints and its not a recipe for longevity

RIP

[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 6:21]

Think it was David Harvey who took over from the Gary Sprake.
Great goalie and great team, but yes Sprake could drop the odd howler, and did this more and more as he came to being replaced by Harvey.

I agree re your theory about many footballers and many other sportspeople. When your body is used to a certain amount of exercise, and that changes, it can be hard for the body to adjust. And yes the joints take a hammering from sport.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 6:39]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 08:13 - Oct 20 with 2215 viewsmingthemerciless

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:38 - Oct 20 by 1mark1

Great goalie and great team, but yes Sprake could drop the odd howler, and did this more and more as he came to being replaced by Harvey.

I agree re your theory about many footballers and many other sportspeople. When your body is used to a certain amount of exercise, and that changes, it can be hard for the body to adjust. And yes the joints take a hammering from sport.

I remember reading that when he managed to throw one into his own net at Anfield the " Kop " started singing Ken Dodd's " You Need Hands " to him.

He later on upset some of his old team mates by joining in the debate over wether Don Revie and the Leeds team of the time had attempted to bribe opponents.

Edit - Apparently it was Des O'Connor and " Careless Hands " that the Kop sang.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 11:07]
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 09:39 - Oct 20 with 2173 viewsD_Alien

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:38 - Oct 20 by 1mark1

Aye, Harvey

And yep, its not just weight but the change in metabolism

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:33 - Oct 20 with 2140 viewsDiddyDave

Sprake was a good goalkeeper in the days of Don Revie`s "Dirty Leeds". Played for Wales for years too,but think he`d been ousted by Harvey when Leeds played Celtic in those two unforgetable European Cup games of 1968(?),Celtic winning 1-0 at Elland Road,then coming from behind to win 2-1 at Hampden Park in front of 135,000 manic Jocks. What fantastic games they were.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:42 - Oct 20 with 2136 viewsTVOS1907

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:33 - Oct 20 by DiddyDave

Sprake was a good goalkeeper in the days of Don Revie`s "Dirty Leeds". Played for Wales for years too,but think he`d been ousted by Harvey when Leeds played Celtic in those two unforgetable European Cup games of 1968(?),Celtic winning 1-0 at Elland Road,then coming from behind to win 2-1 at Hampden Park in front of 135,000 manic Jocks. What fantastic games they were.

Hampden Park?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:44 - Oct 20 with 2134 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,Hampden Park,Parkhead obviously decided not big enough for such a match and so it proved with twice as many attending than Parkhead could hold.
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:49 - Oct 20 with 2130 viewsonedalefan

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 23:45 - Oct 19 by anotherbiffo

Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray. Sub.Madeley. Can still remember the full team. Despite the nickname of 'Dirty Leeds', they could all play a bit.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 11:05 - Oct 20 with 2123 viewsPorlicks

Don't think they do die any younger than the rest of the population. For a start, 71 isn't particularly young. And I imagine those that die unexpectedly young stick in the memory more than those that reach 80+.

If you wanted to find out, take a random sample of players from 1960 aged around 25 and see how many are still alive.

Or read this report https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534511/ which concluded:
'Participation in elite sport is generally favorable to lifespan longevity.'
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 11:08]

Who are YOU with?

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 11:06 - Oct 20 with 2123 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,that was the irony of it,Billy Bremner was the culprit in chief,dirty little bastard,but he too was a good footballer when he wanted to be. The famous photo of Dave Mackay holding the little prick up by his collar,murder in Dave`s eyes,was a true classic of the day.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 12:24 - Oct 20 with 2077 viewsTVOS1907

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:44 - Oct 20 by DiddyDave

Yes,Hampden Park,Parkhead obviously decided not big enough for such a match and so it proved with twice as many attending than Parkhead could hold.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1970-04-15%3A+Celtic+2-1+Leeds+United,+Europea

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 13:09 - Oct 20 with 2022 viewsFrog

I was actually Leeds fan i n those days, had the kit with Lorimer's number 7 on the back and later on the sock number tassles. Great team, glad I can claim I was only young and didn't know any better.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 13:50 - Oct 20 with 1986 viewsonedalefan

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 13:09 - Oct 20 by Frog

I was actually Leeds fan i n those days, had the kit with Lorimer's number 7 on the back and later on the sock number tassles. Great team, glad I can claim I was only young and didn't know any better.

Likewise. Was an Eddie Gray fan. Something to do with being left footed myself.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 14:02 - Oct 20 with 1979 viewsD_Alien

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 11:05 - Oct 20 by Porlicks

Don't think they do die any younger than the rest of the population. For a start, 71 isn't particularly young. And I imagine those that die unexpectedly young stick in the memory more than those that reach 80+.

If you wanted to find out, take a random sample of players from 1960 aged around 25 and see how many are still alive.

Or read this report https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534511/ which concluded:
'Participation in elite sport is generally favorable to lifespan longevity.'
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 11:08]

"...less consistent results were found in soccer players, in which both superior survival rates in Dutch players [23] and inferior survival rates in German players [24] were reported, alongside increases in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) prevalence in Italian players"

An interesting meta-analysis, but it seems the conclusion to be drawn for footballers (it's an American study so they're referred to as soccer players) is less clear cut than for other 'elite athletes'. It also appears that genetic characteristics which vary with different nationalities, which might predispose towards certain types of disease in later life, play a significant part. I agree with your point that the media seem to highlight players who die at a relatively young age (compared with the average life expectancy in the general population) and there are plenty of footballers who live to a ripe old age; Sir Tom Finney, who died a couple of years ago aged 91 for example.

Anecdotally, we're all familiar with footballers who, once their careers are over, fail to adjust to the lack of conditioning, cameraderie, adulation, etc. That doesn't mean the majority of ex-players are prone to this, but having a particular cocooned lifestyle change in the mid-30s or even younger remains a recipe for trouble in later years which wouldn't normally affect the majority of people in that age group, unless steps are taken to prepare for it.

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 19:11 - Oct 20 with 1874 viewssykeboy

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:49 - Oct 20 by onedalefan

Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray. Sub.Madeley. Can still remember the full team. Despite the nickname of 'Dirty Leeds', they could all play a bit.

Very true abiding memory from school days is Leeds beating 7-0 and showboating with 39 passes
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 19:36 - Oct 20 with 1853 viewsSuddenLad

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 19:11 - Oct 20 by sykeboy

Very true abiding memory from school days is Leeds beating 7-0 and showboating with 39 passes

Against Southampton. I remember it well. Tricks, showmanship and excellence. A great team in their day and very entertaining.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 04:05 - Oct 21 with 1779 viewsdavidab2202

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:33 - Oct 20 by DiddyDave

Went to that game at Hampden Park with a friend who was a great Celtic fan (not name dropping but he later became both a top politician in Blairs government and Celtic Chairman).What an experience to be in a crowd of such a size when you consider the size of crowds you were used to being in when attending games at Spotland
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:28 - Oct 21 with 1760 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

22 men on the park, 21 British. Only one foreigner (Johnny Giles of Eire!)

Somewhat related/unrelated to the thread there was an instance in 1972, 19th April, when both Celtic and Rangers had home games in European competition

Rangers at home to Bayern Munich and won 2-0 (Derek Parlane scored the 2nd)
Celtic at home to Inter drew 0-0 lost on pens

Total attendance at both games 155,000

Staggering!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 6:40]
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 09:56 - Oct 21 with 1710 viewsDiddyDave

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 06:28 - Oct 21 by Albert_Whitehurst

22 men on the park, 21 British. Only one foreigner (Johnny Giles of Eire!)

Somewhat related/unrelated to the thread there was an instance in 1972, 19th April, when both Celtic and Rangers had home games in European competition

Rangers at home to Bayern Munich and won 2-0 (Derek Parlane scored the 2nd)
Celtic at home to Inter drew 0-0 lost on pens

Total attendance at both games 155,000

Staggering!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 6:40]

Thanks for that Albert,plus the previous post for noting the only "foreigner" on both the parks was Johnny Giles that night! How things have changed,though the fans still turn up,albeit at grounds where those crowd numbers can no longer happen due to safer facilities. Leeds` two games with Rangers a few years later were crackers from memory too.
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 1696 viewsPotterDale

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 04:05 - Oct 21 by davidab2202

Went to that game at Hampden Park with a friend who was a great Celtic fan (not name dropping but he later became both a top politician in Blairs government and Celtic Chairman).What an experience to be in a crowd of such a size when you consider the size of crowds you were used to being in when attending games at Spotland

"Top politician" and "Blair's government" aren't words that should be in the same sentence. Unless it was "Top politicians from around the world agree that Blair's government was an absolute shambles, and cost the UK both financially and reputationally"
Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 11:44 - Oct 21 with 1661 viewsD_Alien

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 10:22 - Oct 21 by PotterDale

"Top politician" and "Blair's government" aren't words that should be in the same sentence. Unless it was "Top politicians from around the world agree that Blair's government was an absolute shambles, and cost the UK both financially and reputationally"

As most will have gathered, I don't support Labour, but in the interests of fairness, that's quite frankly a stupid post.

Why?

Because being described as a "top politician" - in this context - is simply describing the fact that John Reid held one of the top offices of state within the government. It's simply a fact, not an opinion.

What is an opinion is that "top politicians from around the world agree Blair's government was an absolute shambles..."

Which top politicians from around the world? That's just pure nonsense.

As far as I can gather, John Reid was an honest and decent member of the government. The post about him is neither honest nor decent, on a thread about a footballer passing away.

[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 12:03]

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 02:27 - Oct 22 with 1538 viewsPotterDale

Gary Sprake dies aged 71 on 11:44 - Oct 21 by D_Alien

As most will have gathered, I don't support Labour, but in the interests of fairness, that's quite frankly a stupid post.

Why?

Because being described as a "top politician" - in this context - is simply describing the fact that John Reid held one of the top offices of state within the government. It's simply a fact, not an opinion.

What is an opinion is that "top politicians from around the world agree Blair's government was an absolute shambles..."

Which top politicians from around the world? That's just pure nonsense.

As far as I can gather, John Reid was an honest and decent member of the government. The post about him is neither honest nor decent, on a thread about a footballer passing away.

[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 12:03]

OK yes, fair point. Sorry
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024