Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammers in for Hogan 11:55 - Jan 1 with 110222 viewshitman

Just reading West Ham are about to put in a 10 million
Bid for Scott hogan due to a medical
With Dale getting 20%
Interesting reading
Hammers in for Hogan on 21:22 - Jan 10 with 4402 viewsboromat

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:44 - Jan 10 by DaleiLama

I wasn't begrudging him a penny of the contract money he is earning or will earn.

My comment was about a reward system which rewards a manager for weakening the team. I know there is an inevitability that players will leave on merit for greater rewards elsewhere, but if KH is part of that process, it is open to abuse.

I am not accusing KH of abusing the system and as Col pointed out, there are checks and balances in place to prevent this. We are making it work at present and have survived and thrived despite selling Scotty and Done, so everything is rosy in the garden at present. Long may it continue.

None of that, however, prevents the concept from sitting happily with me. Does Beechy get a slice of the action? And our other coaches? I still think the concept of a profit share scheme is fairer. It doesn't preclude KH being very well rewarded through such a scheme based on his considerable contribution to profits but allows others to be similarly rewarded. I have no delusions whatsoever that we are where we are because of foundations set previously, but built up from the ground by Keith who has transformed the football we play and has us in our best position ever. It would be beyond mean to begrudge him any kind of reward for that, because we aren't going to replace him with anything like the same calibre of manager, as we saw when he left for Barnsley! Clear?
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 14:47]

I think the current situation is near perfect and I'd argue it isn't open to abuse as it is not the managers responsibility to handle player sales. The players are 'owned' by the club not the manager. If a bid comes in for a player I'm sure Hills opinion is taken into account in terms of the depth of the squad and whether he can cope with losing a player etc but at the end of the day the club has the final say and they will also do the negotiating.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:29 - Jan 10 with 4364 viewsdingdangblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 15:16 - Jan 10 by DaleiLama

Absolutely the club is strengthened and secured as a result (and ftr, I was pro the sale of SH and MD), but that, imho is the job of the Board and not the Manager . Of course they can't and don't operate in isolation, but I were an owner, I wouldn't want a manager of my club to personally profit from the sale of players, as it may affect their decision making in too many ways.

You are entirely correct in terms of rewards and it's hypothetical anyway as everything is already in place. I have worked with companies both with PRP schemes and without and if designed well can work well to incentivise. As you say, it is what it is.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 15:31]

Without Hill there would be no players to sell.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:37 - Jan 10 with 4305 viewsnordenblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:29 - Jan 10 by dingdangblue

We've sold a couple prior to Hills arrival......
Hammers in for Hogan on 21:41 - Jan 10 with 4284 viewsdingdangblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:37 - Jan 10 by nordenblue

We've sold a couple prior to Hills arrival......

Hardly any then.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hammers in for Hogan on 22:36 - Jan 10 with 4098 viewsnordenblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:41 - Jan 10 by dingdangblue

Hardly any then.

Not quite..... don't let the facts spoil a good story though
Hammers in for Hogan on 23:06 - Jan 10 with 4037 viewsrochedale

Hammers in for Hogan on 22:36 - Jan 10 by nordenblue

Without really trying, I can think of three significant sales prior to KH... Reeves, Butler and Welch. No doubt there are many more but those are the only ones that initially spring to mind.

Edit: significant - £100k+
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 23:08]

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:10 - Jan 10 with 4022 views442Dale

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:06 - Jan 10 by rochedale

Without really trying, I can think of three significant sales prior to KH... Reeves, Butler and Welch. No doubt there are many more but those are the only ones that initially spring to mind.

Edit: significant - £100k+
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 23:08]

Bywater, Holt, Lambert.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:13 - Jan 10 with 4008 viewsrochedale

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:10 - Jan 10 by 442Dale

Bywater, Holt, Lambert.

Good shouts

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Login to get fewer ads

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:29 - Jan 10 with 3971 viewsdingdangblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 22:36 - Jan 10 by nordenblue

Compared to Hill's success rate I'd say it was hardly any.

6 players under various managers in the 30 years before Hill - with no promotion's and 1 play off.
Under Hill: 2 promotion's, 2 play offs, 1 Wembley and 3 FA Cup runs.
Murray
LeFondre
Buckley
Perkins
Dawson
O'Grady
Done
Hogan
+ the current squad value.
If he takes a percentage of transfers then good for him - he's worth every penny.

Hammers in for Hogan on 09:40 - Jan 11 with 3776 viewsDaleiLama

Hammers in for Hogan on 21:29 - Jan 10 by dingdangblue

Hence the comment " how many other managers could actually do what KH is doing on a consistent basis". Anyway, I accept my view is in the minority. Moving on ..........

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hammers in for Hogan on 12:46 - Jan 11 with 3551 viewsboromat

Hammers in for Hogan on 23:29 - Jan 10 by dingdangblue

Compared to Hill's success rate I'd say it was hardly any.

6 players under various managers in the 30 years before Hill - with no promotion's and 1 play off.
Under Hill: 2 promotion's, 2 play offs, 1 Wembley and 3 FA Cup runs.
Murray
LeFondre
Buckley
Perkins
Dawson
O'Grady
Done
Hogan
+ the current squad value.
If he takes a percentage of transfers then good for him - he's worth every penny.

Don't forget Donnelly

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hammers in for Hogan on 13:59 - Jan 11 with 3404 viewsdingdangblue

Hammers in for Hogan on 12:46 - Jan 11 by boromat

Don't forget Donnelly

The criteria was £100k or more.............not a bag of footballs and a set of cones!

Hammers in for Hogan on 13:59 - Jan 11 with 3404 viewsRowZ

http://the72.co.uk/72408/rochdale-set-for-4m-boon-thanks-to-scott-hogan-transfer

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/3036443/rochdale-in-line-for-4m-if-west-ham-sign-b

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:05 - Jan 11 with 3383 viewselectricblue

Where does 25% fit into those figures.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:17 - Jan 11 with 3330 viewssoulboy

Hammers in for Hogan on 12:46 - Jan 11 by boromat

Don't forget Donnelly

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:19 - Jan 11 with 3318 viewsBendy

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:05 - Jan 11 by electricblue

Using the figures quoted by them, Dale would get 30% of £14.25M (the £15M minus the original transfer fee) which is £4.275M, so four million is just a easy headline figure. They do mention at the end the amount would be over £4.2M though

EDIT: "figures quoted by them" refers to figures quoted in the article (which may not be accurate) and not imply that the figures were quoted by Dale as it could have been read as
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 14:23]
Hammers in for Hogan on 14:20 - Jan 11 with 3303 viewspioneer

Hammers in for Hogan on 09:40 - Jan 11 by DaleiLama

Hence the comment " how many other managers could actually do what KH is doing on a consistent basis". Anyway, I accept my view is in the minority. Moving on ..........

Not necessarily in minority. The poll on the type of draw we would like in Round 4 showed that the 'barmy' (those preferring the probability of progress over the probability of riches) were in the majority . . . just a silent majority.

It might be that some people have difficulty separating out the issue of how much the manager should be paid from how he should be paid. Some seem to be suggesting that the current incentive structure based on transfer fees received wont affect the managers behaviour. In that case it would not matter to him if we stopped providing this incentive and instead put him on an annual salary equal to, say, the average of what his income from RAFC has been over his current stay (suitably adjusted for inflation of course). That might also make sure that the directors (those responsible for negotiating sales) have the right incentives and put more emphasis on up front fees (like Charlton and Peterborough) and less emphasis on uncertain and conditional future payments.
Hammers in for Hogan on 15:36 - Jan 11 with 3138 viewsaleanddale

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:05 - Jan 11 by electricblue

The sell on is 30%

Wow!!!!!
Hammers in for Hogan on 15:43 - Jan 11 with 3084 viewsrobbowood

Hammers in for Hogan on 13:59 - Jan 11 by RowZ

http://the72.co.uk/72408/rochdale-set-for-4m-boon-thanks-to-scott-hogan-transfer

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/3036443/rochdale-in-line-for-4m-if-west-ham-sign-b

I'll believe it when I see it

Until then it's all paper talk and any sensible Dale fan (which most of us are) will take all the speculation of Scott's transfer to WHU with a pinch of salt
Hammers in for Hogan on 16:11 - Jan 11 with 2973 viewsfitzochris

Hammers in for Hogan on 15:43 - Jan 11 by robbowood

I'll believe it when I see it

Until then it's all paper talk and any sensible Dale fan (which most of us are) will take all the speculation of Scott's transfer to WHU with a pinch of salt

Salty premature speculation?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hammers in for Hogan on 16:32 - Jan 11 with 2887 viewsmacro

Hammers in for Hogan on 15:36 - Jan 11 by aleanddale

The sell on is 30%

Wow!!!!!

30% I doubt it. Rubbish journalism as well. The original sale price needs to deducted first. I reckon a total of 2.5 million would be more realistic.
Hammers in for Hogan on 16:41 - Jan 11 with 2821 viewsD_Dale

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:19 - Jan 11 by Bendy

Using the figures quoted by them, Dale would get 30% of £14.25M (the £15M minus the original transfer fee) which is £4.275M, so four million is just a easy headline figure. They do mention at the end the amount would be over £4.2M though

EDIT: "figures quoted by them" refers to figures quoted in the article (which may not be accurate) and not imply that the figures were quoted by Dale as it could have been read as
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 14:23]

So, IF these figures are correct, Keith Hill is in line to receive £213,750. And if the deal doesn't go through, he gets nowt.

He's got an unusually cool head if he's not currently suffering sweaty palms, sleepless nights and a squeaky bum.
Hammers in for Hogan on 16:46 - Jan 11 with 2782 viewsColDale

Hammers in for Hogan on 16:32 - Jan 11 by macro

30% I doubt it. Rubbish journalism as well. The original sale price needs to deducted first. I reckon a total of 2.5 million would be more realistic.

There's a bit of me thinking that Brentford are touting the 30% angle with West Ham as a way of squeezing that bit more out of them.
Hammers in for Hogan on 16:50 - Jan 11 with 2756 viewsmacro

Hammers in for Hogan on 16:46 - Jan 11 by ColDale

There's a bit of me thinking that Brentford are touting the 30% angle with West Ham as a way of squeezing that bit more out of them.

One call to Dale would solve that. They'd have seen the contract etc
Hammers in for Hogan on 17:34 - Jan 11 with 2641 viewsD_Alien

Hammers in for Hogan on 14:20 - Jan 11 by pioneer

Not necessarily in minority. The poll on the type of draw we would like in Round 4 showed that the 'barmy' (those preferring the probability of progress over the probability of riches) were in the majority . . . just a silent majority.

It might be that some people have difficulty separating out the issue of how much the manager should be paid from how he should be paid. Some seem to be suggesting that the current incentive structure based on transfer fees received wont affect the managers behaviour. In that case it would not matter to him if we stopped providing this incentive and instead put him on an annual salary equal to, say, the average of what his income from RAFC has been over his current stay (suitably adjusted for inflation of course). That might also make sure that the directors (those responsible for negotiating sales) have the right incentives and put more emphasis on up front fees (like Charlton and Peterborough) and less emphasis on uncertain and conditional future payments.

What some of us are suggesting is that of course it'll affect his behaviour

He'll be (and is) hugely motivated to sign and progress the careers of players who may have faltered elsewhere; and introduce to the first team talented youngsters to see what they're made of, before resting them before they get a nosebleed - looking to ensure they develop as far as their talents can take them

He'll be doing so whilst guiding the club to heights in the league and standards of football we (you?) might previously have dreamt of and dismissed as fantasy land - and he's far from finished in that respect

Meanwhile, the club has brought Spotland back into ownership and we're in a financial position the envy of our near neighbours, and many not so near

Affect his behaviour? Too bloody right!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024