Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? 20:32 - Jan 17 with 5998 viewsrafc1977

Being a sandy laner since introduced as kid, I've always found the interaction with opposition keepers funny (when there up for it) not sure any that I hate, none spring to mind.

However I used to love Tony Roberts (Dagenham I think) he always played to the crowd and never took it too seriously. One occasion some fool's went overboard and said something about his wife or daughter which wasn't called for.

Anybody over the years have any funny keeper stories?
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 20:39 - Jan 17 with 5965 viewsboromat

Same he's the one that comes to mind from opposition keepers that have never played for us. David Seaman was a good sport in one of the friendlies against Man City.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 20:49 - Jan 17 with 5935 viewsMasher

I loved Harvey Lim. I think he played for Gillingham. He was great for the banter. We kept on calling him Charlie Chan but he always took it in good spirits and was very well known for going wandering about during a game.

Up The Dale!!

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:26 - Jan 17 with 5738 viewsblackpoolcol

Harvey Lim "wha you wha you wha you are" - always played with a smile on his face
Neville Southall when at Torquay when we sang for Neil "Taffy" Edwards "Wales Number 1"

Hated Billy Turley (Rushden) - never forgot him reporting my nephew at the play off home leg for having a Dale flag on a pole (as handed out to kids) hanging over the tunnel wall and the flag touched his head !! Loved it when he miskicked and Dale scored

With my little stick of Blackpool Rock, along the promenade I'll stroll

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:28 - Jan 17 with 5733 viewsBlueMessiah

Can't remember the fellas name or even who he played for but in the late 80s there was a keeper who had some kind of tick whereby his head would spin back owl-like almost 180 degrees. He was instantly christened "Twitchy" by the Sandy. We then sang "Twitchy! Give us a twitch Twitchy Twitchy give us a twitch!". There was also a big cheer every time he twitched.
Cruel but fuking hilarious at the time.

Poll: Do I Know You?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:47 - Jan 17 with 5679 viewsShun

Sam Slocombe. Not because of any particular 'bants' he had, but just because he was a great keeper. He performed incredibly in our matches against Scunthorpe in our tussles at the top of the League 2 table and again in League 1. The away game when we had ?Rose sent off in our top of the table clash, this match in particular stands out as for 45 minutes he withstood what some would call terrace banter, I'd just call verbal abuse, and still had the good grace to applaud us all after the game.
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:48 - Jan 17 with 5673 viewsSandyman

Ex-Lincoln (plus others) 'keeper Barry Richardson was a miserable sod and always got plenty of stick. Kasper Schmeichel was an egotistical arse with Notts County. Tony Roberts and Ashley Bayes (ASHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) were always happy to participate in the craic with The Sandy.
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:48 - Jan 17 with 5671 viewsTVOS1907

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 22:28 - Jan 17 by BlueMessiah

Can't remember the fellas name or even who he played for but in the late 80s there was a keeper who had some kind of tick whereby his head would spin back owl-like almost 180 degrees. He was instantly christened "Twitchy" by the Sandy. We then sang "Twitchy! Give us a twitch Twitchy Twitchy give us a twitch!". There was also a big cheer every time he twitched.
Cruel but fuking hilarious at the time.

That would be Paul Gregory of Scunthorpe.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 23:06 - Jan 17 with 5618 viewsjoecooke

I remember watching Joe Hart from the Sandy for Shrewsbury,and thinking this lads bloody good for 18 or whatever he was?

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Login to get fewer ads

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 23:13 - Jan 17 with 5601 viewsStatzdale

Tony Roberts was and I'm sure still is a top bloke. He always had a laugh with the fans in the sandy
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 00:13 - Jan 18 with 5518 viewsRoChDaLe

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 23:13 - Jan 17 by Statzdale

Tony Roberts was and I'm sure still is a top bloke. He always had a laugh with the fans in the sandy

Think towards the end of his playing career he used to be Arsenal Goalkeeping coach and also play full-time and Dagenham. Also another keeper who we'd been giving stick and he gave it us back was a Fleetwood goalkeeper.. short hair and quite young at the time???

how is anthony elding still in league one?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 07:23 - Jan 18 with 5417 viewsaleanddale

Tommy Lee for obvious reasons..

Always great to give him a deserved ovation when he returns.

A bit different as ex Dale... None the less Tommy gave me probably my number 1 day watching Dale although beating Leeds 2-0 runs it close.

More of those emotions a week on Saturday would be welcome!
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 11:42 - Jan 18 with 5227 viewsfitzochris

I remember a game against Wrexham where Andy Dibble failed to take the ribaldry doled out in good humour. He lost it with us and had an awful game.

Another keeper that sticks in the mind was Burton's keeper in 99/00. We played them (twice) in the FA Cup and he was affectionately Christened Father Ted by the Dale faithful due to his uncanny resemblance to the said cleric.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 11:53 - Jan 18 with 5213 viewsAtThePeake

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 23:06 - Jan 17 by joecooke

I remember watching Joe Hart from the Sandy for Shrewsbury,and thinking this lads bloody good for 18 or whatever he was?

Rushden and Diamonds' Billy Turley was never really liked for obvious reasons but I have two outstanding memories from him.

Obviously the air-kick in the play-off semi-final, but earlier in that season when we had Marcus Hahnemann in net, both keepers played absolute blinders in a 0-0 draw at Spotland that was probably the most entertaining 0-0 draw I've ever seen. Both teams must've each had 10 or so shots on target but nothing could get past either of them.

Tangled up in blue.

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 13:21 - Jan 18 with 5117 viewsVespaDale

Prudoe at Darlo... Looked like Russ Abbott & was a joker like him. And podgy Hodgey, he could give & take banter (York away night game)
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 14:02 - Jan 18 with 5058 viewsdingdangblue

Mike Pollitt comes to mind - think it was an AWS game and they'd just introduced the golden goal rule? We'd drawn with Darlington and it went into extra time and Darlington had a goal disallowed and I just remember Pollitt running half the length of the pitch to celebrate not realising at the time it had been ruled out. The Sandy gave him plenty of stick and we all had a good laugh at his expense. Think we won on pens in the end.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 20:06 - Jan 18 with 4911 viewspnc4eva1

Loved it when Les Sealy played against us for Leyton Orient. Like Tony Roberts he was always up for fun and a bit of banter.

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 20:13 - Jan 18 with 4900 viewsTVOS1907

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 14:02 - Jan 18 by dingdangblue

Mike Pollitt comes to mind - think it was an AWS game and they'd just introduced the golden goal rule? We'd drawn with Darlington and it went into extra time and Darlington had a goal disallowed and I just remember Pollitt running half the length of the pitch to celebrate not realising at the time it had been ruled out. The Sandy gave him plenty of stick and we all had a good laugh at his expense. Think we won on pens in the end.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 21:56 - Jan 18 with 4816 viewsregjenkins

Dick Sheppard Bristol Rovers in the early 1970's hated him because he was good and always played well against Dale. The sandy would give him grief yet always played with a smile. Saved a penalty in the sandy on saturday. Turned around with a big smile on his face. Just hated him more.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 00:59 - Jan 19 with 4727 viewsShun

I always remember Ricardo Batista of Wycombe charging out of the area to an onrushing camel in the form of Morike Sako and him doing some form of kung fu kick right in the poor Frenchman's chest (not that he would've felt it, he was so dopey).
Having said that, it might be the other way round!
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 10:57 - Jan 19 with 4618 viewssandy_dale

My favourite keeper of the season so far is Ryan Clarke who played for Wimbledon when he scored an own goal last minute after gob sh1ting off and wasting time after 10 minutes. His face was a picture after that.
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 18:53 - Jan 19 with 4470 viewswroughtironron

Lance Key was terrible - couldn't catch a three legged dog
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 18:58 - Jan 19 with 4463 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 18:53 - Jan 19 by wroughtironron

Lance Key was terrible - couldn't catch a three legged dog

I work with a guy who knows Lance well and believe he is now manager of Histon - Speaks fondly of his time with us.

As for keepers I hated - Dean Kiely was a total bellend but good keeper when at York - Wish we had signed him though

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 19:45 - Jan 19 with 4427 viewsColDale

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 18:58 - Jan 19 by Thacks_Rabbits

I work with a guy who knows Lance well and believe he is now manager of Histon - Speaks fondly of his time with us.

As for keepers I hated - Dean Kiely was a total bellend but good keeper when at York - Wish we had signed him though

Nearly posted Keily as a favoured opposition keeper.

Schmeichel at Notts County stands out as he turned round to boast about how much he was earning. Obviously, needless to say, we had the last laugh (Aha!) as we are in the higher echelons of League 1 whilst Notts languish fighting relegation to the conference. *

* I know.
Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 14:29 - Jan 20 with 4285 viewsjudd

When Dean Kieley was playing for York once and he took his position in the Sandy goal for the second half to be met with a chorus of "You dirty Yorkshire b*****d" he turned around, all fake self-pity and appealed "but lads, I'm from Salford."

Poll: What is it to be then?

Keepers we loved to hate! or just loved? on 14:56 - Jan 20 with 4272 viewsSalwaDale

I remember someone in the Sandy once throwing a cigarette butt into the back of the Sandy goalmouth. Andy Gorton picked it up, took a drag and popped it back down off the pitch. He was always good for taking abuse.

Barry Siddal always good for a laugh as his bald head always steamed on a cold night.

TBBT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024