Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hills thoughts. 19:30 - Feb 25 with 3764 viewsdingdangblue

https://audioboom.com/posts/5647137-rochdale-manager-keith-hill-reflects-on-a-3-

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hills thoughts. on 12:41 - Feb 26 with 1055 viewsColDale

Hills thoughts. on 12:32 - Feb 26 by dingdangblue

He slides in front of the player.

That was my view of it. If there is any contact, I think it's been done by the trailing leg rather than the outstretched one. Going through with the pause button, the outstretched leg is in front of their player and doesn't appear to make any contact with him.
Hills thoughts. on 12:43 - Feb 26 with 1046 viewsColDale

Hills thoughts. on 12:12 - Feb 26 by 442Dale

Fair enough, cheers for that. The McDermott one could have gone yellow or red for me but it was a silly challenge.

Was there anything around his thinking around the team he chose?

It's brought up but from memory he only really refers to how well they responded to being asked to play that role rather than an explanation as to why he did it.
Hills thoughts. on 12:46 - Feb 26 with 1031 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 12:41 - Feb 26 by ColDale

That was my view of it. If there is any contact, I think it's been done by the trailing leg rather than the outstretched one. Going through with the pause button, the outstretched leg is in front of their player and doesn't appear to make any contact with him.

There doesn't have to be contact.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hills thoughts. on 12:47 - Feb 26 with 1026 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 12:43 - Feb 26 by ColDale

It's brought up but from memory he only really refers to how well they responded to being asked to play that role rather than an explanation as to why he did it.

We'd all expect anyone in the squad to respond well to being asked to do a job for the team, if Collis and Diba were in central midfield* the same could be said.

*Apologies if this gives anyone ideas...

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hills thoughts. on 12:49 - Feb 26 with 1020 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 12:43 - Feb 26 by ColDale

From the o/s:

Calvin Andrew and Ian Henderson started the game at full-back, and Hill says the two players had his full trust to do that. 

“I’m really pleased for the two players because they accepted the challenge. We had a chat then we worked on it during the week. They were 100-percent all in and that’s why I trusted them. They’ve been excellent.

“It won’t be my plan for the remainder of the season, but against today’s opposition, I thought it could have yielded and should have yielded more opportunities. But once Joe Rafferty gets sent off and we go down to 10 men, it’s an uphill challenge no matter who is playing at full-back, or elsewhere on the pitch. You’re just trying to fill a hole that’s constantly leaking."

But we had already conceded two goals before Rafferty was sent-off...

Hills thoughts. on 12:50 - Feb 26 with 1017 viewsSandyman

Hills thoughts. on 12:25 - Feb 26 by TVOS1907

I've just watched McDermott's back. How is that scissors-like lunge attempt to block the ball?

If it had been on one of our players, we would have been amazed had it not been a red card.

From our viewpoint yesterday, as Col said, there was precious little wrong with McDermotts challenge, especially given some of the challenges Peterborough had put in previously that the referee waved on. Sarginson's blatant inconsistency in deicision making in a game that wasn't dirty did affect the game. The clear penalty that we should've been awarded for the foul on Allen for example was a far worse challenge than either of Rafferty's that he received yellow cards for. Having been there I agree with Hilly's comments about the referee. He can't get away with saying it but I can - Sarginson was a homer.

And yes, Hill got the game wrong tactically as well. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other = defeat.
Hills thoughts. on 12:53 - Feb 26 with 1010 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 12:50 - Feb 26 by Sandyman

From our viewpoint yesterday, as Col said, there was precious little wrong with McDermotts challenge, especially given some of the challenges Peterborough had put in previously that the referee waved on. Sarginson's blatant inconsistency in deicision making in a game that wasn't dirty did affect the game. The clear penalty that we should've been awarded for the foul on Allen for example was a far worse challenge than either of Rafferty's that he received yellow cards for. Having been there I agree with Hilly's comments about the referee. He can't get away with saying it but I can - Sarginson was a homer.

And yes, Hill got the game wrong tactically as well. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other = defeat.

I agree that it looked like a foul on Allen from our vantage point, but we have no further video footage to back it up, unless it's on DalePlayer.

I don't think anyone can seriously argue against the red cards, however, and I can't recall anything similar from Peterborough players.

Hills thoughts. on 13:07 - Feb 26 with 973 viewsColDale

Hills thoughts. on 12:46 - Feb 26 by TVOS1907

There doesn't have to be contact.

I agree, and I know its easier with a video clip to go through frame by frame, but the fact that his right leg goes beyond the player makes me view this as an attempted block of the ball rather than an attempt to tackle the player. Its not an angle that would make it be viewed as dangerous play.
Login to get fewer ads

Hills thoughts. on 13:11 - Feb 26 with 956 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 13:07 - Feb 26 by ColDale

I agree, and I know its easier with a video clip to go through frame by frame, but the fact that his right leg goes beyond the player makes me view this as an attempted block of the ball rather than an attempt to tackle the player. Its not an angle that would make it be viewed as dangerous play.

Sorry, Col, I can't agree at all. In the current climate, it's going to be a red card every day of the week, mainly because of the way he's made the challenge.

Wonder if they'll appeal? Maybe only if Posh sign Jason Pearce today...

Hills thoughts. on 13:13 - Feb 26 with 951 viewsD_Alien

Hills thoughts. on 13:07 - Feb 26 by ColDale

It's Donal's technique that makes it look dangerous, something I've thought before. He just doesn't know how to position himself to tackle, which is quite typical of a 'flair' player. Reminiscent of Hendo, although Hendo has learned a bit over the past couple of years

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hills thoughts. on 13:17 - Feb 26 with 933 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 12:49 - Feb 26 by TVOS1907

From the o/s:

Calvin Andrew and Ian Henderson started the game at full-back, and Hill says the two players had his full trust to do that. 

“I’m really pleased for the two players because they accepted the challenge. We had a chat then we worked on it during the week. They were 100-percent all in and that’s why I trusted them. They’ve been excellent.

“It won’t be my plan for the remainder of the season, but against today’s opposition, I thought it could have yielded and should have yielded more opportunities. But once Joe Rafferty gets sent off and we go down to 10 men, it’s an uphill challenge no matter who is playing at full-back, or elsewhere on the pitch. You’re just trying to fill a hole that’s constantly leaking."

But we had already conceded two goals before Rafferty was sent-off...

Hill has to pick the best team for any given match and has been said hundreds of times he gets it right much more often than not. Yesterday was a not on so many levels, not least the potential impact on others who have filled those roles effectively in the past. So not only would the two players chosen have to be 100% behind it, but so would those left out and as it won't be an on-going plan they presumably will have been after it was explained.

Quite what Calvin gives us at left back is hard to establish so maybe we have to look at what Peterborough do to work that out.

Hills thoughts. on 13:18 - Feb 26 with 932 viewsdingdangblue

^THIS^

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hills thoughts. on 13:18 - Feb 26 with 928 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 13:13 - Feb 26 by D_Alien

It's Donal's technique that makes it look dangerous, something I've thought before. He just doesn't know how to position himself to tackle, which is quite typical of a 'flair' player. Reminiscent of Hendo, although Hendo has learned a bit over the past couple of years

We've all learnt to blame Jason Pearce.

Hills thoughts. on 13:21 - Feb 26 with 921 viewsChaffRAFC

I said at the time, and got looks like I had 6 heads, that McDermott's challenge will look worse on replay than it did at the time and that by leaving the ground, he's taking a massive risk because you simply cannot do that anymore and I could see why the referee gave it. Did he make contact? No. It doesn't matter though. You don't have to make contact with a player if the referee thinks the intent is there. Nor does it matter if you get the ball. This is what fans struggle to understand but it's the laws of the game whether we like it or not. McDermott's challenge is not a nasty challenge but you simply cannot get away with leaving the ground in tackles anymore. I wasn't surprised when the red card came out and if we decide to appeal we will lose.

Team selection was barmy but we trust Hill and rightly so but yesterday I feel we got it wrong.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Hills thoughts. on 13:29 - Feb 26 with 900 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 13:21 - Feb 26 by ChaffRAFC

I said at the time, and got looks like I had 6 heads, that McDermott's challenge will look worse on replay than it did at the time and that by leaving the ground, he's taking a massive risk because you simply cannot do that anymore and I could see why the referee gave it. Did he make contact? No. It doesn't matter though. You don't have to make contact with a player if the referee thinks the intent is there. Nor does it matter if you get the ball. This is what fans struggle to understand but it's the laws of the game whether we like it or not. McDermott's challenge is not a nasty challenge but you simply cannot get away with leaving the ground in tackles anymore. I wasn't surprised when the red card came out and if we decide to appeal we will lose.

Team selection was barmy but we trust Hill and rightly so but yesterday I feel we got it wrong.

Good post, Chaff.

Hills thoughts. on 13:30 - Feb 26 with 1066 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 13:21 - Feb 26 by ChaffRAFC

Christ, don't mention another bloody appeal!

Hills thoughts. on 13:37 - Feb 26 with 1054 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Hills thoughts. on 12:53 - Feb 26 by TVOS1907

I agree that it looked like a foul on Allen from our vantage point, but we have no further video footage to back it up, unless it's on DalePlayer.

I don't think anyone can seriously argue against the red cards, however, and I can't recall anything similar from Peterborough players.

Their no6, who eventually got 2 yellows, could have had two previously in the space of 10 seconds. First he went through on Calvin leaving him on the floor, then chased back and tripped our breaking player. The first apparently not seen by the hapless ref; the second merited a free kick but not even a talking to.
The Allen "penalty" was as stonewall as your are ever likely to see - the litmus test is the players' reaction.
Rafferty's second yellow saw him tugged back first by the obnoxious Maddison , again missed by the myopic Sarginson, but he paid for his naivety knowing that he was on a yellow.
It's all about opinions I suppose.
Hills thoughts. on 13:39 - Feb 26 with 1051 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 13:37 - Feb 26 by RegJenkinsBoot

Their no6, who eventually got 2 yellows, could have had two previously in the space of 10 seconds. First he went through on Calvin leaving him on the floor, then chased back and tripped our breaking player. The first apparently not seen by the hapless ref; the second merited a free kick but not even a talking to.
The Allen "penalty" was as stonewall as your are ever likely to see - the litmus test is the players' reaction.
Rafferty's second yellow saw him tugged back first by the obnoxious Maddison , again missed by the myopic Sarginson, but he paid for his naivety knowing that he was on a yellow.
It's all about opinions I suppose.

Aye and regarding reactions, Allen's was very muted and Donal's very apologetic towards the Peterborough player.

Hills thoughts. on 13:48 - Feb 26 with 1032 viewsdingdangblue

Hills thoughts. on 13:30 - Feb 26 by 442Dale

Christ, don't mention another bloody appeal!

This was appealed - and won! By West Ham.

The argument for not having to make contact/intent is a very grey area - who knows what McDermott was intending to do? I'm sure if he'd wanted to make contact with his lunging leg he would have done - I'm with Col - thinking he was lunging to block the ball.

Hills thoughts. on 13:55 - Feb 26 with 1017 viewsTVOS1907

Hills thoughts. on 13:48 - Feb 26 by dingdangblue

The argument for not having to make contact/intent is a very grey area - who knows what McDermott was intending to do? I'm sure if he'd wanted to make contact with his lunging leg he would have done - I'm with Col - thinking he was lunging to block the ball.

The problem with the appeals process is that it's so inconsistent.

If you read various forums, including those connected to officialdom, you read about upheld appeals that the majority of posters think shouldn't have been and vice-versa.

It really is a lottery at times.

Hills thoughts. on 13:59 - Feb 26 with 1004 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 13:48 - Feb 26 by dingdangblue

If only we'd set Henderson's red at Wigan to some dramatic music we might have had more success. I'm thinking the tune from the bit in Rocky IV when he runs off from his Russian bodyguards in the snow before shouting "DRAGOOOOOOOOO" from the top of a mountain.

#moviethemepeople

Hills thoughts. on 14:10 - Feb 26 with 971 viewsdingdangblue

Hills thoughts. on 13:59 - Feb 26 by 442Dale

If only we'd set Henderson's red at Wigan to some dramatic music we might have had more success. I'm thinking the tune from the bit in Rocky IV when he runs off from his Russian bodyguards in the snow before shouting "DRAGOOOOOOOOO" from the top of a mountain.

#moviethemepeople

Going off past reds - I'd be hugely shocked if we didn't appeal.

Hills thoughts. on 14:20 - Feb 26 with 964 views1mark1

The ref doesn't have a "pause button " sadly though to see that. Looking at it in real time on that coverage, I can see why the ref sent him off, and if I had seen that happen to a Dale player I would have shouted "send the dirty bastard off".

Donal gave the ref an opportunity to send him off, as did Raff with an unnecessary yellow card challenge while already, on a yellow card, both were stupid in my book, even if both could have avoided being sent off with a different ref.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Hills thoughts. on 14:27 - Feb 26 with 945 viewsdingdangblue

Hills thoughts. on 13:55 - Feb 26 by TVOS1907

The problem with the appeals process is that it's so inconsistent.

If you read various forums, including those connected to officialdom, you read about upheld appeals that the majority of posters think shouldn't have been and vice-versa.

It really is a lottery at times.

Topically - Glen Whelan's just got away with a yellow v Spurs for a leaping 2 footer. It is really luck of the draw with refs.

Hills thoughts. on 14:30 - Feb 26 with 935 views442Dale

Hills thoughts. on 14:27 - Feb 26 by dingdangblue

Topically - Glen Whelan's just got away with a yellow v Spurs for a leaping 2 footer. It is really luck of the draw with refs.

Not got it on, but looking at the scoreline one can only think Peter Crouch is at left back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024