Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matty Done - your opinion? 22:04 - Feb 28 with 2912 viewsTheRazor

I'm expecting nothing but glowing praise for him, because he had done so well for you, before my club, Sheff Utd, signed him a few years ago (2 years ago? I can't remember, it's all a blur).

I looked back at his career when we signed him. Sure - he was on a purple patch with you at the time, having scored 14 goals already or summat that season? But the most he'd ever scored in his entire career, in one season, before that was....6.

He was great in his first season for us. (His first "half-season" that was). Some of the goals he scored were just sublime. But since then he's been poor tbh - very poor.

Us Blades appreciate effort and graft. It's where we are from. Blokes sweating blood in the steel mills of Sheffield. Working all night long and risking life-threatening injuries, pouring white hot metal. Working in temperatures of 40c plus all night. For hours on end. Then, knocking off at 6am in the morning and going to the nearest pub (of which there were plenty) and slaking a raging thirst with several pints before going back home to bed for the rest of the day - then starting over again at 10pm.

We love EFFORT.

We put it ahead of SKILL.

Which is just as well.

And Matty gives effort - no doubt. He's been likened to a dog chasing a crisp packet in a windy car park. He will run after every single thing. Pointlessly mostly. But he cannot anticipate being in the right place at the right time.

His career record is testament to that.

I think he's finished at Sheff Utd. Not even good enough for the 3rd division.

So would you want him back?
Matty Done - your opinion? on 22:15 - Feb 28 with 2866 viewsrafc1984

In a heartbeat under Hilly
Matty Done - your opinion? on 04:47 - Mar 1 with 2656 viewsShun

Fantastic forward player with the pace, work rate and finishing skills to make the difference at this level - as he was doing for us when he was sold. He moved from winger to attacking midfielder to left back to forward, and the last of those was definitely his best position.

I'd take him back in a moment.
Matty Done - your opinion? on 06:28 - Mar 1 with 2614 viewsBigDaveMyCock

OT is very insightful as I thought they were all male strippers.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Matty Done - your opinion? on 08:25 - Mar 1 with 2501 viewsCanaDale

Of course, never been fully repaced imo, never forget the ready made replacements line we were sold back then.
Matty Done - your opinion? on 09:42 - Mar 1 with 2405 viewsfrenzied

could be completely wrong...but didn't he play at left back for a fair time before we chucked him further up the field?

id take him back..i still feel hes capable at a higher level than league one...
Matty Done - your opinion? on 10:54 - Mar 1 with 2317 viewsDaley_Lama

Done played as our main striker when up top, the team was geared to getting the ball through or over the top for him to run onto and finish.

He, like many others has found that moving to a bigger club does not personally work out for you as well as one would hope. The highlights I've seen of Done is on the wing, as more illustrious strikers are ahead of him.

Not that sitting top of the pile is not working out for Sheff U of course, more him not shining as much as he would like.

Scott Hogan my find very similar happenings at Villa.

Poll: DF in or out

Matty Done - your opinion? on 12:55 - Mar 1 with 2133 viewsBendy

The long and short of it is that Matty Done is a left back. That is why his scoring record was never great, as before that season he had never played up front in his life.

However, after the first few games of that season we had started poorly and couldn't score. Hill and Beech decided that it could work playing him up front as he technically could hold the ball up and pass it, plus had the pace and some physicality to worry defenders. I think it was more as an option to play the other more attacking midfielders in and link the play rather than being the main goal threat himself. However, the first game he played there we won 5-2 at Crewe and Done scored a hat trick. So from there it grew and he kept scoring. Then in the transfer window your lot jumped in and took him.

I think though for him to be effective though he is a player who has to be "the" main threat of the attack, which presumably is where it has unravelled a bit in Sheffield for him, as by using him that way he can often take two defenders out of the play at once, creating spaces for others or basically just pulling the defenders about with his running.

Would I have him back? Yes, as I think he is more suited to the Dale style and Hill as a manager seems to have an ability of unlocking things in players that no-one else seems to be able. Take Steve Davies - this season Hill has got him back to his career best goals per game ratio of about 1 in 3, and that is despite being unfit (both in match fitness and carrying an injury) meaning a fair number of his games were from off the bench or curtailed early when he did start. He was starting to show how dangerous he actually was when his injury deteriorated and he has been out for a while now. Then there is Calvin Andrew, who as a striker when he came was a bit of a running joke (indeed Crystal Palace and Port Vale fans in particular are particularly bemused by it as he scored 2 goals in 53 games for Palace and 1 in 22 for Vale. Indeed, before he arrived here he had scored just 14 times over 10 seasons and 196 games (a goal every 14 games!). He started that way for us - showing that he could hold the ball at times but his finishing was woeful. But Hilly got into him, got him on his side and his style and philosophy and he hasn't looked back. Yes, he will still have a shocking miss in him, but for his all round game he is one of the first names on the team sheet for us at the moment - and he has scored 17 league goals for Dale. Most of all he is almost a cult hero in these parts - not for the goals, but the effort and perseverance.

Anyway, all this is a long-winded way of saying that if Done did come back then I wouldn't be surprised if something got rekindled in him. Maybe he needs that extra bit of love that being a big fish in a small pond brings rather than a quite small fish in the massive pond your lot is compared to us. And whilst I would love to see him return, I'm not even sure where we would play him if everyone was fit. Perhaps on the left wing rather than up front.
Matty Done - your opinion? on 14:14 - Mar 1 with 2013 viewsdingdangblue

Matty Done - your opinion? on 12:55 - Mar 1 by Bendy

The long and short of it is that Matty Done is a left back. That is why his scoring record was never great, as before that season he had never played up front in his life.

However, after the first few games of that season we had started poorly and couldn't score. Hill and Beech decided that it could work playing him up front as he technically could hold the ball up and pass it, plus had the pace and some physicality to worry defenders. I think it was more as an option to play the other more attacking midfielders in and link the play rather than being the main goal threat himself. However, the first game he played there we won 5-2 at Crewe and Done scored a hat trick. So from there it grew and he kept scoring. Then in the transfer window your lot jumped in and took him.

I think though for him to be effective though he is a player who has to be "the" main threat of the attack, which presumably is where it has unravelled a bit in Sheffield for him, as by using him that way he can often take two defenders out of the play at once, creating spaces for others or basically just pulling the defenders about with his running.

Would I have him back? Yes, as I think he is more suited to the Dale style and Hill as a manager seems to have an ability of unlocking things in players that no-one else seems to be able. Take Steve Davies - this season Hill has got him back to his career best goals per game ratio of about 1 in 3, and that is despite being unfit (both in match fitness and carrying an injury) meaning a fair number of his games were from off the bench or curtailed early when he did start. He was starting to show how dangerous he actually was when his injury deteriorated and he has been out for a while now. Then there is Calvin Andrew, who as a striker when he came was a bit of a running joke (indeed Crystal Palace and Port Vale fans in particular are particularly bemused by it as he scored 2 goals in 53 games for Palace and 1 in 22 for Vale. Indeed, before he arrived here he had scored just 14 times over 10 seasons and 196 games (a goal every 14 games!). He started that way for us - showing that he could hold the ball at times but his finishing was woeful. But Hilly got into him, got him on his side and his style and philosophy and he hasn't looked back. Yes, he will still have a shocking miss in him, but for his all round game he is one of the first names on the team sheet for us at the moment - and he has scored 17 league goals for Dale. Most of all he is almost a cult hero in these parts - not for the goals, but the effort and perseverance.

Anyway, all this is a long-winded way of saying that if Done did come back then I wouldn't be surprised if something got rekindled in him. Maybe he needs that extra bit of love that being a big fish in a small pond brings rather than a quite small fish in the massive pond your lot is compared to us. And whilst I would love to see him return, I'm not even sure where we would play him if everyone was fit. Perhaps on the left wing rather than up front.

The end of the 10/11 season (the 1st one back in league 1/division 3) Done certainly played in a forward role - he finished the season on fire scoring some important goals and nearly taking us to the playoffs. Then Hill left and took him to Barnsley where he played in a forward role again.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:09 - Mar 1 with 1749 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Get him back if he's available!

He will have earned a few £££ with the Blades but there's more to life than JUST that.....he needs love again........San Spotty is home.
Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:27 - Mar 1 with 1706 viewsnordenblue

Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:09 - Mar 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

He will have earned a few £££ with the Blades but there's more to life than JUST that.....he needs love again........San Spotty is home.

I'd guess he still lives locally as I've seen both him and Ollie Lancashire a few times near me
Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:32 - Mar 1 with 1696 viewsboromat

Something that can't be overestimated when looking at Done's form when moved up top for us is the partnership he struck up with Hendo. As a pair they were brilliant together defences were never given a moment to breathe.

Done never really performed to his best in any of his spells with us when played out wide. At full back he was impressive and up top centrally he was incredible, but we played to his strengths.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Matty Done - your opinion? on 20:30 - Mar 1 with 1612 viewsTVOS1907

Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:09 - Mar 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

How do you propose we pay his wages, never mind fit them into our existing wage structure?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Matty Done - your opinion? on 20:50 - Mar 1 with 1572 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Matty Done - your opinion? on 20:30 - Mar 1 by TVOS1907

How do you propose we pay his wages, never mind fit them into our existing wage structure?

I said "IF" he's available (to us and Blades).......IF NOT,sod it!
Matty Done - your opinion? on 17:56 - Mar 2 with 1166 viewswatford_dale

Matty Done - your opinion? on 20:30 - Mar 1 by TVOS1907

In response to your queries:

BACS transfer, easy one.

He may be surplus to requirements when the Blades get promoted at the end of the season and we may get him back if he got released but I highly doubt it if he is still under contract.

I think Hill would take him back in a zeptosecond if he could.
Matty Done - your opinion? on 19:28 - Mar 2 with 1073 viewsTVOS1907

Matty Done - your opinion? on 17:56 - Mar 2 by watford_dale

In response to your queries:

BACS transfer, easy one.

He may be surplus to requirements when the Blades get promoted at the end of the season and we may get him back if he got released but I highly doubt it if he is still under contract.

I think Hill would take him back in a zeptosecond if he could.

Thanks, I always wondered how my wage found its way into the bank every month. That's cleared that one up.

I doubt it too.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024