Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread. Oldham 14:12 - Apr 22 with 21406 views442Dale

Logan, Rafferty, McGahey, McNulty, Bunney, Keane, Camps, Allen, NML,Henderson, Andrew.

Subs: Wilson, Lund, Vincenti, McDermott, Canavan, Rathbone, Cannon
[Post edited 22 Apr 2017 14:15]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread. Oldham on 15:54 - Apr 24 with 2894 viewstony_roch975

Match thread. Oldham on 14:08 - Apr 24 by 1907

Not once have I said I don't rate Bunney at LB so don't put words in my mouth.

On Saturday he was out muscled countless times throughout the game and as I stated earlier, was being run ragged down their right hand side pretty much all of the game. Saturday required a more physical presence than what Bunney is capable of, that isn't a criticism it's a fact.

Any modern full back looks better going forward & weaker when run at 1 v 1 - thought Camps & Henderson did a great job first half at supporting Bunney - 2nd half Sheridan's tactical changes led to less cover for JB (diagonal high balls) & to us losing our 1st half midfield dominance so less chances for JB/NML to maurade down the wings.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match thread. Oldham on 16:22 - Apr 24 with 2833 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread. Oldham on 01:33 - Apr 23 by TVOS1907

Mints or bints?

Polos?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread. Oldham on 16:45 - Apr 24 with 2777 viewsnordenblue

Match thread. Oldham on 16:22 - Apr 24 by DaleiLama

Polos?

the bint with a hole?
Match thread. Oldham on 17:31 - Apr 24 with 2700 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread. Oldham on 09:20 - Apr 24 by MarpleAlty

I'll give my thoughts having attended the game with my old man...

Harrison is an absolute monster - how old is he? How he's considered anything other than a (very good) centre half I'm at a loss to say.
Bunney was great going forward, but in the same way PV was so effective in L2, he seems to have been found out by long diagonals as he's not the best in the air...?
Raff's great... at full back. The decision to move him to DM instead of bringing Lund on was probably the biggest factor in them equalising.
Keane was brilliant - from a distance my old man was asking who the lad was that looked (and played) like Mascherano. I assume he got injured.
McNulty was OK but there was one instance in the first half where he let the ball bounce and you were all getting anxious in the stand! If Hilly has aspirations of pushing the team on, he'll need a bit better than Jim.
I thought Allen struggled physically and should have been hooked after an hour for Rathbone... given Ollie was such a big part of the winning streak, how come he seems to be so out of favour at the moment? Genuine question.
Camps looked the part, very assured and mixes the footballing and the physical part of the game well enough. Good with that 'energetic' player alongside him.
Calvin had a great game and didn't let the pressure get to him at all. Swapping him for PV showed the gulf in quality between the pair of them.
Hendo relatively quiet by his standards, but I can see what he gives. Seems to get 'involved' with his opponents a lot, can see why he gets booked/sent off.
NML... wow. The first type he got on the ball he sent their defender for a hot dog and set up the goal. Shame he couldn't get on the ball more often.

The team started with a great balance to it, yet Hilly did his best to stifle any momentum with his substitutions. Definitely not his strong suit. The last 20 mins from Dale was like watching Alty with aimless long balls dealt with by Clarke all week. I was showing my frustration in the stand myself.

The referee was atrocious - the very definition of a 'homer'. Didn't give Dale a scrap all game. Seemed to wave on any Oldham discrepancies, and then blow for an identical Dale infringement a few seconds later.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, see you at Spotland at the weekend (I've given up on Alty for the remainder of this season...!)

Good shot of Jamie struggling physically on here. It's not always the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread. Oldham on 18:51 - Apr 24 with 2596 viewsbiffoboffo

Match thread. Oldham on 19:47 - Apr 22 by dalenumber2

So what? We have a much better away attendance as a percentage of our home attendance than you lot. I've noticed that Oldham fans seem to like to cover up their performance on their pitch by boasting about their very mediocre attendance figures.

Identical at 17% actually.
Match thread. Oldham on 18:57 - Apr 24 with 2574 views442Dale

Match thread. Oldham on 18:51 - Apr 24 by biffoboffo

Have you a link to the figures?

http://www.efl.com/documents/efl-attendance-report-travelling-percentage-season-
These were last season when we were clear at the top for the whole FL. Note we have also been ahead of Oldham for the last five seasons in terms of percentage of home fans who go away.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 18:58]

Match thread. Oldham on 19:54 - Apr 24 with 2476 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread. Oldham on 18:51 - Apr 24 by biffoboffo

... until you've been to Wimbledon on Sunday.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Match thread. Oldham on 20:12 - Apr 24 with 2419 viewsDaley_Lama

My god, this has descended into crowd counting? (sp)

Bolton have bigger crowds than us
Oldham have bigger crowds than us
Bury have bigger crowds than us
Bolton brought more to Spotland than we did at Bolton
Oldham brought more to Spotland than we did to Oldham
Bury brought more to Spotland than we did to Bury

Congratulations.

Bolton are in debt
Oldham are in debt
Bury are in debt

Commiserations
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 20:13]

Poll: DF in or out

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread. Oldham on 20:31 - Apr 24 with 2357 views442Dale

Match thread. Oldham on 20:12 - Apr 24 by Daley_Lama

Congratulations.

Bolton are in debt
Oldham are in debt
Bury are in debt

Commiserations

Not so much crowd counting as challenging posts that don't necessarily make much sense in a grander context.

Match thread. Oldham on 12:31 - Apr 27 with 1995 viewsbiffoboffo

Match thread. Oldham on 20:12 - Apr 24 by Daley_Lama

Congratulations.

Bolton are in debt
Oldham are in debt
Bury are in debt

Commiserations

No. it came from one of your posters getting overly defensive about a comment regarding the following on Saturday being a bit lower than expected.

Crowd counting, bank balance counting. Just as bad as each other. Neither means anything really. One is controllable by the fans though, the other isn't.

Brighton are in huge debt. I doubt their fans give a shit.
Match thread. Oldham on 12:45 - Apr 27 with 1934 viewsnordenblue

Match thread. Oldham on 12:31 - Apr 27 by biffoboffo

No. it came from one of your posters getting overly defensive about a comment regarding the following on Saturday being a bit lower than expected.

Crowd counting, bank balance counting. Just as bad as each other. Neither means anything really. One is controllable by the fans though, the other isn't.

Brighton are in huge debt. I doubt their fans give a shit.

Brighton are in the premier league so a slight increase in revenue you'd guess.... you keep building stands you can't afford to pay for you'll be fine
Match thread. Oldham on 12:52 - Apr 27 with 1913 viewsbiffoboffo

Match thread. Oldham on 12:45 - Apr 27 by nordenblue

Brighton are in the premier league so a slight increase in revenue you'd guess.... you keep building stands you can't afford to pay for you'll be fine

"you keep building" errr. I don't own OAFC.

I do however turn up to games along with my fellow fans.

Fans cant take the blame or credit for the financial situation their club is in even if some here think they can. Things can change. Being smug about this is a bit silly.
Match thread. Oldham on 14:06 - Apr 27 with 1814 viewspioneer

Match thread. Oldham on 12:52 - Apr 27 by biffoboffo

Fans cant take the blame or credit for the financial situation their club is in even if some here think they can. Things can change. Being smug about this is a bit silly.

I agree biffo - having been a Dale fan for long enough to remember times when we didn't pay bills, had bucket collections and didnt present our accounts on time.

The current success of the club is a result of us being lucky in sensible local business folks taking on the running of the club - of course we don't know how long that will last but we should enjoy it while we can. Who knows when the next Tommy Cannon will come along, God forbid. I dont recall anyone (myself included) who objected when TC came in. We were sucked in by the hype. No new owner comes in and says he is going to bankrupt the team, change managers like he changes socks and sell of club assets. Its only after they pick up the keys that this becomes apparent.

Yes its a case of we've been there, done that, got the T shirt.

It the fans (and local businesses) who suffer the consequences.

At the moment you have to feel for the fans of Leyton Orient and there is nothing they could do top stop what has happened there. We think we face challenges having two Manchester teams a short bus ride away - those Leyton Orient fans have a smorgasbord of premier league alternatives (and far better public transport to get them there) but have stuck with their club even during the recent period of failed ownership/ management. I think the football authorities (FA, Football League) must take some of the blame - the fit and proper test or whatever it has now been renamed has been shown to be useless.
Match thread. Oldham on 14:24 - Apr 27 with 1777 viewsD_Alien

Match thread. Oldham on 14:06 - Apr 27 by pioneer

I agree biffo - having been a Dale fan for long enough to remember times when we didn't pay bills, had bucket collections and didnt present our accounts on time.

The current success of the club is a result of us being lucky in sensible local business folks taking on the running of the club - of course we don't know how long that will last but we should enjoy it while we can. Who knows when the next Tommy Cannon will come along, God forbid. I dont recall anyone (myself included) who objected when TC came in. We were sucked in by the hype. No new owner comes in and says he is going to bankrupt the team, change managers like he changes socks and sell of club assets. Its only after they pick up the keys that this becomes apparent.

At the moment you have to feel for the fans of Leyton Orient and there is nothing they could do top stop what has happened there. We think we face challenges having two Manchester teams a short bus ride away - those Leyton Orient fans have a smorgasbord of premier league alternatives (and far better public transport to get them there) but have stuck with their club even during the recent period of failed ownership/ management. I think the football authorities (FA, Football League) must take some of the blame - the fit and proper test or whatever it has now been renamed has been shown to be useless.

I'd tend to agree with you pioneer

The trouble is, Dale fans have been the underdogs until recently and there's a heck of a lot of "bragging rights" and other types of schadenfreude to get out of our system after being mocked by opposition fans for so long

I'm not one to join in chants of "going down" which we heard at bury, and whilst the takeover of football clubs by chancers or incompetents never ends well, you're right in that it's the loyal fans who suffer. It'd help their cause though if they adopted a more realistic attitude towards what goes on at their clubs

[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 14:26]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread. Oldham on 14:37 - Apr 27 with 1746 viewsbiffoboffo

spot on.
Match thread. Oldham on 15:22 - Apr 27 with 1675 views1mark1

I would agree with all of that except one thing. In our bad times from 74 onwards,up to the Kilpatrick and Dunphy era, I don't recall the Club spending money they didn't really have, there was never any big money signings or wages paid, based on a gamble of attaining promotion etc. In that time the Club just didn't have any money, despite the brilliant efforts of Fred Ratcliffe and others.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Match thread. Oldham on 17:30 - Apr 27 with 1530 viewsfermin

Match thread. Oldham on 15:22 - Apr 27 by 1mark1

I would agree with all of that except one thing. In our bad times from 74 onwards,up to the Kilpatrick and Dunphy era, I don't recall the Club spending money they didn't really have, there was never any big money signings or wages paid, based on a gamble of attaining promotion etc. In that time the Club just didn't have any money, despite the brilliant efforts of Fred Ratcliffe and others.

That is true, but playing devil's advocate a bit it could be argued that we were then in a way acting beyond our means in having a professional team (though I think some players might have been semi-professional). Following this argument through, we should have gone down to a level which we could sustain ourselves without living hand to mouth. It was just that we were good at playing the re-election system, stayed in the league and managed over a long period to get on a relatively even keel, albeit still rather skint. Under the current system we would have disappeared down the leagues like Workington did or gone out of business.

While I obviously have sympathy with fans whose clubs are taken over by shysters (and there are any number of examples at the moment), the other side of the coin is that too often fans expect their owners to spend large amounts of their own money, whether real or imaginary, to show 'ambition'. I suppose the proportion of fans like that varies by club and depends on their past history to a degree - I think we are rather more realistic about this as a fanbase than those at some other clubs, who prefer a boom or bust approach even if they have gone bust before.

It also surprising how within most fan bases there is a small group who will support the owners/directors regardless of what they do and try to put down those who campaign to point out what the owners are doing. For example the Wimbledon fans who backed the move to MK and similar useful idiots at clubs like Chester, Hereford United, Torquay etc.
Match thread. Oldham on 17:35 - Apr 27 with 1518 viewspioneer

Match thread. Oldham on 15:22 - Apr 27 by 1mark1

The bad times go back way before 74. Mid sixties were horrendous with at one point a stand that was closed because a the roof collapsed from the weight of snow and it remained that way for some time.

Obviously I'm not old enough to have experienced the 1930s - but that made the 60s and 70s look successful.

I am assuming (and its only an assumption) that the reason the ground had to be sold (and it might have been sold on more than one occasion I think) was that the club had been spending money it didn't have and used the sale to cover those debts.
Match thread. Oldham on 19:51 - Apr 27 with 1415 viewsR17ALE

Match thread. Oldham on 12:52 - Apr 27 by biffoboffo

I've not really detected any smugness, although our undoubted pride in achieving what we have in a profitable way, may understandably lead fans of other clubs to interpret that as smugness.

Likewise we interpret those who crowd count at our expense, do so because they are below us in the League and have spent a lot of money they don't have just to be in a position where they can just about throw a stone in our piss.

I detect big annoyance from fans of the likes of Oldham and bury that they struggle and are in debt, whilst that crap little club who always used to be miles behind us have over-taken us and haven't spent money they didn't have to do so. It's also why Notts County's title win in 2010 meant nothing.

Between 1974 and 2010 we were constant members of the basement division. Speculation wasn't really an option, we just had to accept decades of rubbish with finishing outside the bottom 4 and not losing money considered a success.

A few of us were able to accept those awful terms in return for support. Not surprisingly, most people rejected it and the years ground by eating us up at times. But, still, we were playing by the rules of not spending anything we didn't have which meant a smaller squad of poorer players. We've done our penance, done our time. Thankfully the resolve of those who went before has paid off and the club is re-born to a degree and is starting to build. But it will take time and who knows where it will take us.

It's a quite remarkable story really, not far behind the Joe Royle story in my opinion.

But, if you'd rather crowd count, carry on. It's the last refuge of a pissed off football fan living within 6 miles of Rochdale.

The reason we appear untroubled by this is not smugness, it's a pride in what we have achieved and may yet go onto achieve. If nobody turns up to watch it, the achievement is greater don't you think?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Match thread. Oldham on 20:46 - Apr 27 with 1352 viewsD_Alien

Match thread. Oldham on 19:51 - Apr 27 by R17ALE

I've not really detected any smugness, although our undoubted pride in achieving what we have in a profitable way, may understandably lead fans of other clubs to interpret that as smugness.

Likewise we interpret those who crowd count at our expense, do so because they are below us in the League and have spent a lot of money they don't have just to be in a position where they can just about throw a stone in our piss.

I detect big annoyance from fans of the likes of Oldham and bury that they struggle and are in debt, whilst that crap little club who always used to be miles behind us have over-taken us and haven't spent money they didn't have to do so. It's also why Notts County's title win in 2010 meant nothing.

Between 1974 and 2010 we were constant members of the basement division. Speculation wasn't really an option, we just had to accept decades of rubbish with finishing outside the bottom 4 and not losing money considered a success.

A few of us were able to accept those awful terms in return for support. Not surprisingly, most people rejected it and the years ground by eating us up at times. But, still, we were playing by the rules of not spending anything we didn't have which meant a smaller squad of poorer players. We've done our penance, done our time. Thankfully the resolve of those who went before has paid off and the club is re-born to a degree and is starting to build. But it will take time and who knows where it will take us.

It's a quite remarkable story really, not far behind the Joe Royle story in my opinion.

But, if you'd rather crowd count, carry on. It's the last refuge of a pissed off football fan living within 6 miles of Rochdale.

The reason we appear untroubled by this is not smugness, it's a pride in what we have achieved and may yet go onto achieve. If nobody turns up to watch it, the achievement is greater don't you think?

Great words R17ALE

But they will come to watch. It's a small step, but I believe we're about to achieve our highest average gate since 1972/73, and next year - with the ST initiative plus ongoing success on the field - will be even higher

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread. Oldham on 22:01 - Apr 27 with 1270 viewsCamdenDale

Knowing when to gamble within your means is a gift. But never risking anything at all is surely a crime.

I think asking for volunteers to slap on a lick of paint to the ground and to crowdfund the proposed (great) screen is a bit timid. These improvements should be taken on commercially in the normal fashion.

In the same spirit, if we really gonna have a go next year, think we should offer Lund and NML more money. We have great young talent. What does it say to them that as soon as you're a well fed porker you're out?
Match thread. Oldham on 22:56 - Apr 27 with 1198 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match thread. Oldham on 22:01 - Apr 27 by CamdenDale

Knowing when to gamble within your means is a gift. But never risking anything at all is surely a crime.

I think asking for volunteers to slap on a lick of paint to the ground and to crowdfund the proposed (great) screen is a bit timid. These improvements should be taken on commercially in the normal fashion.

In the same spirit, if we really gonna have a go next year, think we should offer Lund and NML more money. We have great young talent. What does it say to them that as soon as you're a well fed porker you're out?

Would you offer NML and Lund £4k a week - They will be offered more elsewhere anyway. Truth is we will replace them at less than 1k a week, will take time, but the players brought in will do the same job in time.

We cant offer wages, we cant offer prestige, but we have Keith Hill, who changes players careers - that's our USP and we use it - Very well!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match thread. Oldham on 07:56 - Apr 28 with 1089 viewsCamdenDale

Match thread. Oldham on 22:56 - Apr 27 by Thacks_Rabbits

Would you offer NML and Lund £4k a week - They will be offered more elsewhere anyway. Truth is we will replace them at less than 1k a week, will take time, but the players brought in will do the same job in time.

We cant offer wages, we cant offer prestige, but we have Keith Hill, who changes players careers - that's our USP and we use it - Very well!!!

You're almost certainly right Thacks.

Our model is working beyond all expectations. But KH won't be here forever and this squad, very much incl. Lund and NML, could, given a fair wind, go top two next season.

So yes, I'd offer those two 4k. They'd probably still go elsewhere mind. But just a little more ambition into the mix just might be the right thing to do right now.
Match thread. Oldham on 09:30 - Apr 28 with 1000 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread. Oldham on 07:56 - Apr 28 by CamdenDale

You're almost certainly right Thacks.

Our model is working beyond all expectations. But KH won't be here forever and this squad, very much incl. Lund and NML, could, given a fair wind, go top two next season.

So yes, I'd offer those two 4k. They'd probably still go elsewhere mind. But just a little more ambition into the mix just might be the right thing to do right now.

At some point we should decide which players are integral to the team , and build a promotion chasing team around them. This may need greater investment in wages, and an increase in Hill's budget would mean that we only have to recruit a couple of players to fine tune the team, rather than having to replace 3 of our best . I've no doubt Hill can recruit cheaper options, but at this time I'd rather we kept rafferty, Lund and NML as tried and tested good league one players

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread. Oldham on 10:36 - Apr 28 with 938 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread. Oldham on 09:30 - Apr 28 by rochdaleriddler

At some point we should decide which players are integral to the team , and build a promotion chasing team around them. This may need greater investment in wages, and an increase in Hill's budget would mean that we only have to recruit a couple of players to fine tune the team, rather than having to replace 3 of our best . I've no doubt Hill can recruit cheaper options, but at this time I'd rather we kept rafferty, Lund and NML as tried and tested good league one players

It just shows you what an incredible job Hill does with his budget - quite staggering some of the other amounts spent - £11 million wage bill at Sheffield United and they couldn't beat us! Unless we are promoted then Lund / Mendez Laing and Raff are gone I'm afraid. Never mind £4 grand a week - they'll be offered double that elsewhere now they are free transfers.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024