Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going down. 10:52 - May 9 with 1719 viewsmushinexile

Although the club has been largely destroyed by bad management, bad signings and bad work ethic on the pitch, I am a Saints supporter through thick and thin. But this isn't thin, it is positively anorexic. We used to be the bogey team of Man U, now we look like being walloped by the likes of Plymouth Argyle on our way down. I doubt if we will ever be a top division club ever again
Going down. on 11:16 - May 9 with 1648 viewsdirk_doone

We've been a top flight club for most of the last 60 years and we will be again. It's where we belong.

Next year could potentially be a continuation of the current shambles but we will get out of this mess eventually

The problem is the perception of the club new owners have had since the Paul Black Box Mitchell era. They all think they are going to come here, buy cheap youngsters and then sell them for huge profits, as if it's something that's in the very fabric of the club when in fact it was just the work of one very talented individual, who's long gone. Hopefully now, current and future owners will have a more realistic view and build a team the conventional way, starting with a strong, experienced spine. Next season we really need a few 30-year-olds but it may take SD another year or two before they learn that.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 11:22]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Going down. on 11:22 - May 9 with 1615 views1885_SFC

On the contrary, I think we will bounce back pretty soon - if not straight away.

Of course, it's all about getting the right manager and the right players - but Saints will still be a very good stepping stone for an up and coming talented manager from Europe or indeed these shores.

I am hopeful... glass half full, etc.

Old School is Cool

Going down. on 13:17 - May 9 with 1467 viewsSaintNick

Going down. on 11:16 - May 9 by dirk_doone

We've been a top flight club for most of the last 60 years and we will be again. It's where we belong.

Next year could potentially be a continuation of the current shambles but we will get out of this mess eventually

The problem is the perception of the club new owners have had since the Paul Black Box Mitchell era. They all think they are going to come here, buy cheap youngsters and then sell them for huge profits, as if it's something that's in the very fabric of the club when in fact it was just the work of one very talented individual, who's long gone. Hopefully now, current and future owners will have a more realistic view and build a team the conventional way, starting with a strong, experienced spine. Next season we really need a few 30-year-olds but it may take SD another year or two before they learn that.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 11:22]

Good points, now is not the time for rabid ranting about the club being rotten to the core, but to focus on what went wrong and fixing it

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Going down. on 13:24 - May 9 with 1450 viewsmushinexile

Nick, I am not rabid. The club is rotten to the core and you seem to be the only person who denies it. Your Pollyanna attitude is like all those company directors who will not allow anything negative to be said. In every case where I have worked for one, I have seen it go badly. Sycophantic delusionalism is not support. It is an inability to grasp situational reality, rather like our management team.
Going down. on 13:53 - May 9 with 1406 viewsPaleRider

Going down. on 13:17 - May 9 by SaintNick

Good points, now is not the time for rabid ranting about the club being rotten to the core, but to focus on what went wrong and fixing it

Nick, a balanced response. You also said on another thread "Ive been angry for years at what has happened but I try to be angry at who is to blame and not who isnt".

So I have a question (well 3 really) - exactly, what has gone wrong, who is responsible (ie who are you angry with) and how does it get fixed?
[Post edited 9 May 2023 14:15]
Going down. on 16:01 - May 9 with 1324 viewssaint901

Few budding Daily Moron writers here.

It's been a poor season that was compounded by the owners, management and players all underperforming.

The only chance we have of going straight back up is if we keep some key players such as JWP and KWP and get rid of the sulkers like ABK and Salisu.

Even if we did bounce straight back, the infrastructure and in particular the talent management and pipeline to the first team is not ready and will need two/three seasons to fix. We could end up yo-yoing for a few seasons.

Compared to being in League 1 and on the brink of obliteration, this is a setback but one we will cope with.
Going down. on 18:56 - May 9 with 1235 viewssaintwizzler

Not good enough players and 2 bad managerial appointments is where it’s gone wrong.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Going down. on 09:48 - May 10 with 1080 viewsRon11

Going down. on 16:01 - May 9 by saint901

Few budding Daily Moron writers here.

It's been a poor season that was compounded by the owners, management and players all underperforming.

The only chance we have of going straight back up is if we keep some key players such as JWP and KWP and get rid of the sulkers like ABK and Salisu.

Even if we did bounce straight back, the infrastructure and in particular the talent management and pipeline to the first team is not ready and will need two/three seasons to fix. We could end up yo-yoing for a few seasons.

Compared to being in League 1 and on the brink of obliteration, this is a setback but one we will cope with.

We seem to have had a fairly recent history of sulkers causing problems with results and morale.
The likes of Alderweireld, Lallana, Austin, Bertrand, Schneiderlin, Tadic, Hojbjerg, Lovren, Osvaldo, Vestergaard, Van Dijk, Bednarek, Ings, and Broja either sulked or caused problems (Osvaldo) when they weren't getting what they wanted.
Even Fonte, one our best ever players went all moody and sulked towards the end of his stay - and of course let's not forget the wonderful Kenwynne Jones....
Then of course there were the players who just got on with it week in, week out. Rickie Lambert, Yoshida etc...
Login to get fewer ads

Going down. on 13:30 - May 10 with 1020 viewssaint901

Part of the issue here is that we expect players who join us to be instantly loyal and interested only in improving the team.

The truth is that the majority, i.e. those with the ability to improve, have to focus on maximising the time that they have at the peak of their earning power.

I've met a few ex-pro's and have had to delve into their employment history. At least two of them had to use Wiki to work out where they were at particular times. And these are PL players. Go down the divisions and most players could not tell you which club they were at, when.

So players care little about the club and are not loyal.

Some will use us as stepping stones to better things, (Alcaraz, ABK, KWP), some will see a payday (Bednarak, SA, AA), some may genuinely believe that they can make the PL grade or are still at that grade and need a team to play in (Walcott, Ely).

This is why coaching a team is difficult. Put 11 players out and they have 11 different motives for playing (or not playing). Appeal to their professionalism is good but only if they think the coach is up to it. (If I was one of the best right backs in the country being played more times than not on the left, I would be more than mildly p**sed off.

But - the club is not destroyed. It would be better not to be relegated but that boat has sailed. Now we need to focus on what we need to do to rebuild and move on.
Going down. on 20:17 - May 10 with 938 viewsbarry_sanchez

Going down. on 13:30 - May 10 by saint901

Part of the issue here is that we expect players who join us to be instantly loyal and interested only in improving the team.

The truth is that the majority, i.e. those with the ability to improve, have to focus on maximising the time that they have at the peak of their earning power.

I've met a few ex-pro's and have had to delve into their employment history. At least two of them had to use Wiki to work out where they were at particular times. And these are PL players. Go down the divisions and most players could not tell you which club they were at, when.

So players care little about the club and are not loyal.

Some will use us as stepping stones to better things, (Alcaraz, ABK, KWP), some will see a payday (Bednarak, SA, AA), some may genuinely believe that they can make the PL grade or are still at that grade and need a team to play in (Walcott, Ely).

This is why coaching a team is difficult. Put 11 players out and they have 11 different motives for playing (or not playing). Appeal to their professionalism is good but only if they think the coach is up to it. (If I was one of the best right backs in the country being played more times than not on the left, I would be more than mildly p**sed off.

But - the club is not destroyed. It would be better not to be relegated but that boat has sailed. Now we need to focus on what we need to do to rebuild and move on.

What is our totem though? Our aspiration without lying or selling out? If the club and players said they're only here for the tv money, that they want to sell the players for the best price for the stakeholders, the players are here for the dollar and couldn't give 2 shits about the club I think many would actually accept that as opposed to the codshite of a journey and a we march on bollocks.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 20:20]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024