Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Road to World War 08:45 - Mar 16 with 9942 viewsLord_Bony

Starts at midnight tonight.

Take my word for it,just watch what happens in The Ukraine this week.

It s about to get nasty.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The Road to World War on 19:34 - Apr 15 with 1274 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Road to World War on 19:28 - Apr 15 by exiledclaseboy

I see the media and political narrative is still firmly in "poor, downtrodden Ukrainians defending themselves against big nasty Russia" mode. Conveniently ignoring the neo-nazis running Kiev and the coup they organised to oust the legitimate (if completely c*nty) government.

That's nailed it !

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The Road to World War on 19:39 - Apr 15 with 1269 viewsLord_Bony

A Russian jet has made several close-range passes near a US warship in the Black Sea over the weekend amid rising tensions in the region, the US military said.

An official said the Russian fighter jet made a dozen passes, and flew within 1,000 yards of Navy destroyer USS Donald Cook at around 500ft above sea level.

The Russian aircraft reportedly did not respond to several radio queries and warnings from the US warship.
Sky news source.

So here we go then tonight The Ukraine is on the verge of civil war I reckon,just waiting for a flash point for it to kick off.

The problem is there are 40,000 Russian troops amassed on the eastern border ready to roll in when asked by the East Ukrainians for protection.

NATO just last week repeated it's vows to back Ukraine if asked to do so.....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

The Road to World War on 14:36 - Apr 16 with 1193 viewsCatullus

The world is a f#coed up place aye.

If it actually does start a war, where will it end. Would they be stupid enough to go nuclear, knowing there is only one way that can end. Global destruction.
I reckon NATO will bottle it, and I think Putin is counting on that too, so he'll jump in head first.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Road to World War on 23:25 - Apr 16 with 1152 viewsLord_Bony

The Daily Mail reckons its got the potential for ww3 today.
Who knows...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605578/Edward-Lucas-I-hope-Im-wrong-his
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 23:27]

The Road to World War on 00:38 - Apr 17 with 1130 viewsLord_Bony

Beautifully shot unseen footage of the riots in Kiev.no commentary just video.

Take a look at this for a first hand account of what it's like there in the heat of battle.
Ukraine on the verge of civil war any day now....

The Road to World War on 09:35 - Apr 17 with 1083 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Putin very calm about it all answering questions live on RT.

The Road to World War on 13:08 - Apr 17 with 1049 viewsCooperman

I've recently had a business visa application for Russia turned down with no logical explanation, and this after 5 previous successful applications. I fear that political sanctions against Russia are just the start of things to come.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 13:09]

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The Road to World War on 13:29 - Apr 17 with 1032 viewsLord_Bony

Well everything was heading for visa free travel between Russia and the Europe...those plans have now gone on the back burner unfortunately.

I ve normally found it easy to get a tourist visa there but now you have to go to the embassy in London. It is tit for tat and really difficult now for Russians to visit the UK...I think it s going to get a lot tighter over the next few months...visas are always a soft target.

Login to get fewer ads

The Road to World War on 14:29 - Apr 17 with 1002 viewsjaf69

The Road to World War on 09:35 - Apr 17 by oh_tommy_tommy

Putin very calm about it all answering questions live on RT.

his annual public Q&A session. putin is very good in these sessions and always seems to be willing to answer the questions given to him unlike our leaders who tend to deflect the questions asked of them. you have to laugh at our government/medias attempts to paint the guy as some sort of loony toon hell bent on world domination, hes obviously no angel but hes not the tyrant we are being told daily.
tbh I think the reason why western leaders are so scared of him, not only could he rip their heads off in a punch up, he could probably tear them a new one in an intellectual political debate too.
The Road to World War on 14:35 - Apr 17 with 995 viewsjaf69

The Road to World War on 13:29 - Apr 17 by Lord_Bony

Well everything was heading for visa free travel between Russia and the Europe...those plans have now gone on the back burner unfortunately.

I ve normally found it easy to get a tourist visa there but now you have to go to the embassy in London. It is tit for tat and really difficult now for Russians to visit the UK...I think it s going to get a lot tighter over the next few months...visas are always a soft target.

that sucks! ive never had any trouble getting visas (business and tourist) in the past and was planning a trip out there later this year, so I hope our government sorts itself out pretty dam soon.
The Road to World War on 15:28 - Apr 17 with 969 viewsShaky

The Road to World War on 19:24 - Apr 15 by Catullus

You think cyber war is about Facebook and power cuts?
You absolute idiot.
The next generation of warships have minimal crews and be run by computer. If a cyber terrorist managed to hack a nuclear capable vessel he could unleash hell.
Governments are turning more and more to cyber capabilities.
China has been doing it for years. Computers are at the heart of our society. Those clever enough can cause chaos if they ever breach the right systems.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 19:31]

I think you will find the term idiot is normally reserved for the person on the on the wrong side of the argument, but since I am on the road rather than lecture you on nuclear weapons release protocols I suggest you instead watch the mildly entertaining 80s teen movie War Games.

Enjoy!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

The Road to World War on 16:30 - Apr 17 with 942 viewslonglostjack

The Road to World War on 19:24 - Apr 15 by Catullus

You think cyber war is about Facebook and power cuts?
You absolute idiot.
The next generation of warships have minimal crews and be run by computer. If a cyber terrorist managed to hack a nuclear capable vessel he could unleash hell.
Governments are turning more and more to cyber capabilities.
China has been doing it for years. Computers are at the heart of our society. Those clever enough can cause chaos if they ever breach the right systems.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 19:31]

A cyber attack could also be aimed at civilian targets - imagine the electricity supply or water purification plants being knocked out and the chaos that would ensue - It doesn't really bear thinking about.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Road to World War on 16:33 - Apr 17 with 939 viewslonglostjack

Edit: I'd argue that a successful cyber attack against infrastructure should not be underestimated.

The Road to World War on 16:43 - Apr 17 with 931 viewsLord_Bony

The Road to World War on 16:30 - Apr 17 by longlostjack

A cyber attack could also be aimed at civilian targets - imagine the electricity supply or water purification plants being knocked out and the chaos that would ensue - It doesn't really bear thinking about.

How about and EMP electro magnetic pulse attack where a nuke is detonated above say London would bring all computers to a standstill effectively disabling the city...shortly afterwards it would fall into chaos.

"A nuclear device detonated up to 500 miles above the earth's surface could generate an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) with a "devastating" effect on power supplies, telecommunications and other vital systems, the Commons Defence Committee said."

The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9097558/Britain-at-risk-from-Gold

The Road to World War on 17:00 - Apr 17 with 912 viewslonglostjack

The Road to World War on 16:43 - Apr 17 by Lord_Bony

How about and EMP electro magnetic pulse attack where a nuke is detonated above say London would bring all computers to a standstill effectively disabling the city...shortly afterwards it would fall into chaos.

"A nuclear device detonated up to 500 miles above the earth's surface could generate an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) with a "devastating" effect on power supplies, telecommunications and other vital systems, the Commons Defence Committee said."

The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9097558/Britain-at-risk-from-Gold

An interesting read. As society's dependence on complex technology grows so too does it's vulnerability.

The Road to World War on 22:10 - Apr 17 with 872 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Looks like everyone are going to be friends again for now .

Russia rule the roost even after all the West's poking with a stick .
You can put your tin hats away for a couple of weeks.

The Road to World War on 22:34 - Apr 17 with 857 viewsCatullus

The Road to World War on 15:28 - Apr 17 by Shaky

I think you will find the term idiot is normally reserved for the person on the on the wrong side of the argument, but since I am on the road rather than lecture you on nuclear weapons release protocols I suggest you instead watch the mildly entertaining 80s teen movie War Games.

Enjoy!

I know all about release protocols. But you don't have to launch nuclear weapons to cause a disaster.
If someone managed to hack a nuclear ships systems, that in itself would cause major ripples.
And talking of wargames, that's when the computer takes over and nearly triggers WW3, so what's your point? That cyber terrorism is harmless?
Cyber capability is where most governments are spending big these days.
Cripple a countries infrastructure and within a few days there would be riots.
Cyber attacks on governments are increasing, China is usually a suspect.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Road to World War on 08:35 - Apr 18 with 813 viewsLord_Bony

The Road to World War on 22:10 - Apr 17 by oh_tommy_tommy

Looks like everyone are going to be friends again for now .

Russia rule the roost even after all the West's poking with a stick .
You can put your tin hats away for a couple of weeks.

I m glad of the positive outcome in Geneva.

However it is still talk,ukraine was right on the edge and those tensions are not going to go away.
It could still blow into civil war,let's hope not and see what happens.

Looks like Russia has got away with snatching Crimea...did nt take long for them to be forgiven..

The Road to World War on 23:54 - Apr 25 with 723 viewsLord_Bony

Unfortunately,those peace talks at Geneva last week didn't last long.

The Ukrainian prime minister gave a speech today saying Russia wants to start World War 3.

Well at least the media are finally waking up to that real possibility of an escalation in this conflict would see West v East...

This from Sky News

http://news.sky.com/story/1249159/russia-wants-world-war-three-says-ukraine

The Road to World War on 07:51 - Apr 26 with 676 viewsthe_gasman

The Road to World War on 13:29 - Apr 17 by Lord_Bony

You're lovely wife is Russian or Ukrainian Paul?? Out of sight out of mind for me on this one. I've generally stopped watching news. But the potential here is fun cked up:(

Poll: The best thing about the new Planet Swans forum is...

The Road to World War on 08:38 - Apr 26 with 647 viewsShaky

The Road to World War on 22:34 - Apr 17 by Catullus

I know all about release protocols. But you don't have to launch nuclear weapons to cause a disaster.
If someone managed to hack a nuclear ships systems, that in itself would cause major ripples.
And talking of wargames, that's when the computer takes over and nearly triggers WW3, so what's your point? That cyber terrorism is harmless?
Cyber capability is where most governments are spending big these days.
Cripple a countries infrastructure and within a few days there would be riots.
Cyber attacks on governments are increasing, China is usually a suspect.

The point about War Games is the use of multiple instances of the 2-man system required to release nuclear weapons, basically making a detonation via a cyber attack to all intents impossible.

The other point of course is that missile silos, strategic nuclear subs, etc, don't run Windows, or web servers with numerous well known vulnerabilities and possible attack vectors.

Neither do the industrial control systems that manage utility infrastructures such as electricity and gas transmission and distribution, water and sewage, etc.

That said in utilities there may be backdoor avenues available via more conventional computing systems to seize control of automation systems, but this requires a level of sophistication and access to company specific, secret proprietary information that is very hard to come by indeed, and far removed for the hacker domain.

You seem content to argue in terms of sweeping statements that cross the line well into banality, so I frankly can't be bothered to look up the exact details, but your should do your own research into the Stuxnet/Flame operation that attacked the Iranian plutonium enrichment centrifuges.

That required the acquisition (read theft) of extensive company secret documentation on industrial automation systems from - I believe - Siemens, an attack involving something in the order of 50-70 zero day Windows vulnerabilities, the development and debugging of an entirely new computer language the malware was written in, as well as an on the ground covert operation to physically plant the payload inside firewalls and computer security systems in Iran.

After only a small fraction of these details had become known, computer security researchers were already able to infer that only a state could have been responsible for the operation, and as further details emerged it became obvious that only the US was capable of putting this kind of thing together with even a remote probability of success.

That is what is required for successful real life cyber warfare, as opposed to the Hollywood version of schoolboys sitting with home computers in their spare time.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

The Road to World War on 09:10 - Apr 26 with 626 viewsLord_Bony

The Road to World War on 07:51 - Apr 26 by the_gasman

You're lovely wife is Russian or Ukrainian Paul?? Out of sight out of mind for me on this one. I've generally stopped watching news. But the potential here is fun cked up:(

Indeed Stu,...Moscow...and lovely she is too

The Road to World War on 09:54 - Apr 26 with 608 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Road to World War on 23:54 - Apr 25 by Lord_Bony

Unfortunately,those peace talks at Geneva last week didn't last long.

The Ukrainian prime minister gave a speech today saying Russia wants to start World War 3.

Well at least the media are finally waking up to that real possibility of an escalation in this conflict would see West v East...

This from Sky News

http://news.sky.com/story/1249159/russia-wants-world-war-three-says-ukraine

So it goes on then and Sky absolutely love whipping up the frenzy .

This is being stirred and backed by the US & other western countries ,they want a puppet in charge of Ukraine that for certain.
There's no way Russia will start a war out there .
Although a civil war is in the balance .

The Road to World War on 17:18 - Apr 28 with 528 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Donetsk citizens beat ultranationalists from Kiev. Police sit & watch. Kiev loses totally control over East Ukraine.

The Road to World War on 15:07 - Apr 29 with 497 viewsCatullus

The Road to World War on 08:38 - Apr 26 by Shaky

The point about War Games is the use of multiple instances of the 2-man system required to release nuclear weapons, basically making a detonation via a cyber attack to all intents impossible.

The other point of course is that missile silos, strategic nuclear subs, etc, don't run Windows, or web servers with numerous well known vulnerabilities and possible attack vectors.

Neither do the industrial control systems that manage utility infrastructures such as electricity and gas transmission and distribution, water and sewage, etc.

That said in utilities there may be backdoor avenues available via more conventional computing systems to seize control of automation systems, but this requires a level of sophistication and access to company specific, secret proprietary information that is very hard to come by indeed, and far removed for the hacker domain.

You seem content to argue in terms of sweeping statements that cross the line well into banality, so I frankly can't be bothered to look up the exact details, but your should do your own research into the Stuxnet/Flame operation that attacked the Iranian plutonium enrichment centrifuges.

That required the acquisition (read theft) of extensive company secret documentation on industrial automation systems from - I believe - Siemens, an attack involving something in the order of 50-70 zero day Windows vulnerabilities, the development and debugging of an entirely new computer language the malware was written in, as well as an on the ground covert operation to physically plant the payload inside firewalls and computer security systems in Iran.

After only a small fraction of these details had become known, computer security researchers were already able to infer that only a state could have been responsible for the operation, and as further details emerged it became obvious that only the US was capable of putting this kind of thing together with even a remote probability of success.

That is what is required for successful real life cyber warfare, as opposed to the Hollywood version of schoolboys sitting with home computers in their spare time.

Yeah, it's not like an autustic fella could hack into a U.S government system, or a terrorist group has the resources to buy and equip someone clever enough.......or a hacked off army bod would release sensitive information, or possibly a sleeper agent gets into a position of power.

None of that is possible.

With everything that's gone on (that we know abut) aren't you a touch naive?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024