Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 21 April 18:15 - Apr 12 with 6422 viewsDavillin

Please read this first. Thanks.

“Mathematical Safety” is based on an assumption that if the Swans get no more points from their remaining games, and any other team win every one of their remaining games, the Swans will still end up with more points than that other team at the end of the season. When the Swans reach that position on this chart for three other teams, the Swans are mathematically safe.

[I’m aware that the teams on this chart cannot all win out. It’s not a “final table,” but a chart to show what we need to do to avoid relegation.]

How to read the chart.

“Points” means each team’s present total points.

For the Swans, “Projected” means their points total at the end of the season assuming zero more points gained. For all of the other teams, “Projected” means their final points total assuming they win all of their remaining games.

“Needed” means the number of additional points the Swans need to finish higher than each of the other teams. NOTE WELL: The number “needed” is any combination of Swans winning points and the opponent’s dropping points.

The “needed” number assumes the Swans will continue to have a better goal difference.

p.s. No team on this chart is mathematically safe yet.

I will keep this updated as games are played. I have added a column for goal differences.

In simplified form, look at the "needed" column. This is a "worst case" scenario. We must make up the number shown for each team - either by our getting points, or by that team dropping points, or by a combination of both. For example, on today's chart, to be safe, we need to get 2 more points than either Norwich or Sunderland, and we'll nip them by goal difference.

[Post edited 26 Apr 2014 18:32]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:16 - Apr 12 with 5183 viewsJackfath

Whats your hunch Dav? Will we be safe?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:45 - Apr 12 with 5090 viewslatchford

So if everyone else wins all their games we need ten?
Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:51 - Apr 12 with 5066 viewsunion_jack

Has Dav factored in bottom teams playing eachother?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:57 - Apr 12 with 5050 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:51 - Apr 12 by union_jack

Thanks for the question, union_jack.

Respectfully, note that in the original post, I point out that projections for all of the other teams assume they will win all games because the object is to examine the Swans projected points with zero more points against a single opponent with all remaining points.

It's not a "table."

However, although it is fair and accurate to say that when two of the opponents on that chart play each other, they cannot both get all three points, what that will mean in fact is that the team that loses against one of the other opponents will be three points closer to us overtaking them.

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 19:24 - Apr 12 with 4957 viewsApeShit

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 18:51 - Apr 12 by union_jack

And that is why it is pointless and makes no sense.
Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 23:45 - Apr 12 with 4766 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 19:24 - Apr 12 by ApeShit

And that is why it is pointless and makes no sense.

If it makes no sense to you, that's your fault, you know.

Question: does it make people appear clever when they simply post nothing if they don't understand the subject?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded before Chelsea Home on 03:33 - Apr 13 with 4678 viewsGixerJack

I've got a headache now!!! Probably a combination of reading this and Strongbow!!!
Mathematical Safety - uploaded AFTER Chelsea Home on 19:09 - Apr 13 with 4462 viewsDavillin

I have updated this chart after the Chelsea Home game. The significant change is in Swansea's number of points still available.

Login to get fewer ads

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 02:12 - Apr 17 with 4239 viewsDavillin

I have updated and uploaded this information as of the Table on 17 April 2014.

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 02:15 - Apr 17 with 4236 viewsPhil_S

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 02:12 - Apr 17 by Davillin

I have updated and uploaded this information as of the Table on 17 April 2014.

Crystal Palace have 40 points, Sunderland have 26?
Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 15:27 - Apr 17 with 3993 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 02:15 - Apr 17 by Phil_S

Crystal Palace have 40 points, Sunderland have 26?

That's what the BBC website and my database tell me. Are they wrong?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 16:37 - Apr 17 with 3919 viewsApeShit

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 15:27 - Apr 17 by Davillin

That's what the BBC website and my database tell me. Are they wrong?

The BBC website is correct, your database is wrong.
Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 17:06 - Apr 17 with 3859 views_

Hee hee

FAIL

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 01:27 - Apr 18 with 3735 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 16:37 - Apr 17 by ApeShit

The BBC website is correct, your database is wrong.

With my sincere apology, I have corrected the graph.

Thank you to those of you who read more carefully than I did and had the courtesy to let me know.

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 03:07 - Apr 18 with 3711 viewsJethroJack

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 01:27 - Apr 18 by Davillin

With my sincere apology, I have corrected the graph.

Thank you to those of you who read more carefully than I did and had the courtesy to let me know.

Its STILL wrong....we've played 34 not 33...or have I missed something?
Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 09:42 - Apr 18 with 3599 viewsWxmJax

Just a point, we don't need 8 points more than Cardiff, we just need 8 more points for Cardiff not to catch us.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 14:29 - Apr 18 with 3522 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - uploaded as of Table on 17 April on 09:42 - Apr 18 by WxmJax

Just a point, we don't need 8 points more than Cardiff, we just need 8 more points for Cardiff not to catch us.

Actually, neither is correct.

We meed 8 points from a combination of points we win, plus points they drop.

Note Well: It's even more clearly stated in the original post. “Needed” means the number of additional points the Swans need to finish higher than each of the other teams. NOTE WELL: The number “needed” is any combination of Swans winning points and the opponent’s dropping points."
[Post edited 18 Apr 2014 14:32]

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded after Newcastle Away on 18:15 - Apr 19 with 3362 viewsDavillin

Updated and uploaded after Newcastle Away.

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 17:52 - Apr 20 with 3152 viewsDavillin

Updated and uploaded after games played on 20 April.

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 17:54 - Apr 20 with 3144 viewsPhil_S

Sunderland have 29 points
Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 18:09 - Apr 20 with 3084 viewsDavillin

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 17:54 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

Sunderland have 29 points

What I'd like to know is where in heck were you when the sins I was committing then were tickets to Hell?

Thanks for these corrections, anyway.

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 22:44 - Apr 20 with 2787 viewsScoobyWho

I don't understand any of this.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 02:00 - Apr 21 with 2699 viewsGlyn1

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 22:44 - Apr 20 by ScoobyWho

I don't understand any of this.

ScoobyWho: For one thing, it means that if Fulham and Cardiff each lose just one more game, then they can't finish above us in the table even if we lose all of our remaining matches (taking our goal difference into account). (Dav's 3 point swing).

Norwich need a win and 2 draws from their last 3 matches, or 2 wins and a loss, if we again assume that we lose all of our last 3 matches (Dav's 5 point swing).

And of course any point that we get makes it even tougher for all of them,
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 2:08]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 04:13 - Apr 21 with 2658 viewsswanny

can we have a swingometer?

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Mathematical Safety - updated and uploaded on 20 April on 08:24 - Apr 21 with 2609 viewsthejack

Crystal Palace and Stoke need deleting from the chart as they are mathematically safe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024