Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe 17:44 - Apr 15 with 8483 viewssully49

I believe one of the main reasons, for this situation we are currently in, Is us playing in Europe. Our squad was very short in depth, and quality, for us to rotate, consequently our season suffered greatly. I'm not against Europe but it hasn't done us any favors at all. It was at the wrong for us.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Europe on 21:14 - Apr 16 with 1128 viewsCatullus

I can't be bothered to trawl through this whole thread, but here's my say.
There are a lot of contributing factors. The extra games, over rotation of some players but overuse of others, injuries, training, team selection and tactics, not a big enough squad or enough quality in depth.
I'm sure there are more. Some of us said at the outset we may struggle with being in the Europa, and we were criticised.
Some people on this board cannot accept a different opinion to theirs, or even wait to see if they can bump it to take the p&ss. they have to attack from the outset and invariably, months later, look silly.
Europe probably came a season or two too early for us, we weren't properly prepared. But I wouldn't change it.
And now it's done, some people are on here talking as if we are already down.
We still have four games and we are still well placed to stay up, if we can actually turn performances into wins.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Europe on 21:32 - Apr 16 with 1107 viewscontroversial_jack

Europe on 18:09 - Apr 16 by shingle

The damage has already been done mun, fcuking hell this is an hopeless task, how dumb are some of these headers on here.

How has the damage already been done, you f*cking plank? Players have rested sufficiently and the team is back to full strength with almost a third of the season still to go. Give me strength!
Europe on 21:33 - Apr 16 with 1107 viewsC_jack

Europe on 21:32 - Apr 16 by controversial_jack

How has the damage already been done, you f*cking plank? Players have rested sufficiently and the team is back to full strength with almost a third of the season still to go. Give me strength!

Legs may forgive, but they never forget.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europe on 23:58 - Apr 16 with 1054 viewsDrizzy

Europe on 17:51 - Apr 16 by C_jack

So Wigan Athletic are 6th and going for promotion, so explain to me how the Europa League has affected their season? I'm positive Wigan's target for this season was to gain promotion? unless you know any different?

If it had a negative effect on their season, would they not be struggling near the bottom? and not where they planned to be?

I like your attempt to twist the facts there, Wigan have had a great run in the FA Cup, so in effect, they never stopped playing extra games after exiting the Europa League, did they? Extra games that included gruelling games 10's of miles away to Man City.

So I ask again, where's the effect on their season, if they are on track?

I simply cannot reason with you if you can't see the negative effect of the Europa League on Wigan's form. The statistics are crystal clear. Had they picked up points at the same rate they did after their swift exit from the Europa League they'd be pushing for automatic promotion.

You can keep denying it but it's had a negative effect on every single Premier League team. Look at Newcastle, look at Villa and look at Fulham and compare their seasons when they participated in the Europa League and when they didn't. A drop of eleven, three and five places respectively.

Here's some additional reading for you, written by people that have studied this in far greater detail than you and me:

http://eplindex.com/40756/effect-europa-league-premier-league-teams.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2522055/The-Europa-League-bad-

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2014/02/does-the-europa-league-kill-your-season-

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Europe on 09:14 - Apr 17 with 1028 viewsharemscarem

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 15 by JackFish

Nah.

Last season we played:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
7 league cup games
(47)

This season:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
1 league cup
12 Europa League
(53)

That's six games more over the course of the season, and two of those were before the league season even started and pretty much just replaced pre-season matches. Likewise only two of them have been in 2014 and our form has been pretty consistent (~1 PPG) since December.

I also don't buy that we didn't have enough depth to compete, we have a much strong squad that last season in most places.

This!

Europe on 09:15 - Apr 17 with 1016 viewsharemscarem

Europe on 19:19 - Apr 15 by IAN05

That may be the case ( we should be grateful as we would have ended up with Aspas if he did). Pozuelo, Tiendalli and Canas were first choices. Clubs like us never get the first choice targets, you have to have more in your locker and work down your list or use the loan market to your advantage. We ended up with Vasquez, JDG and Lamah on loan, you cannot tell me that there were no better players out there than that.

I think Aspas was second choice after Aubameyang...

Europe on 09:46 - Apr 17 with 1009 viewsC_jack

Europe on 23:58 - Apr 16 by Drizzy

I simply cannot reason with you if you can't see the negative effect of the Europa League on Wigan's form. The statistics are crystal clear. Had they picked up points at the same rate they did after their swift exit from the Europa League they'd be pushing for automatic promotion.

You can keep denying it but it's had a negative effect on every single Premier League team. Look at Newcastle, look at Villa and look at Fulham and compare their seasons when they participated in the Europa League and when they didn't. A drop of eleven, three and five places respectively.

Here's some additional reading for you, written by people that have studied this in far greater detail than you and me:

http://eplindex.com/40756/effect-europa-league-premier-league-teams.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2522055/The-Europa-League-bad-

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2014/02/does-the-europa-league-kill-your-season-

No statistics are crystal clear, that, I can assure you, I have studied in great detail.You haven't even mentioned that Wigan sacked their manager shortly after exiting the Europa League, so how can your stats on before/after elimination be a true representation?

My summary, in the world of football, there are far too many things that go into the 'form' and performance of a team, you cannot simply be lazy and label participation in one competition, as a reason for poor performance in others.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 9:47]

Europe on 09:58 - Apr 17 with 998 viewsIAN05

Europe on 09:15 - Apr 17 by haremscarem

Nah mate, Aspas was being chased since last January, he was number 1. Aubameyang was next but nowhere near realistic. Bony/Altidore/The guy from France who I cannot remember were the next considerations.
Login to get fewer ads

Europe on 11:26 - Apr 17 with 981 viewsshingle

Europe on 21:32 - Apr 16 by controversial_jack

We dropped two many points during our campaign in Europe that`s why the damage has already been done you absolute dimwit.
Europe on 12:21 - Apr 17 with 960 viewsJackFish

Europe on 11:26 - Apr 17 by shingle

We dropped two many points during our campaign in Europe that`s why the damage has already been done you absolute dimwit.

We've played two Europa games since December 12th and our form hasn't improved since then.

I don't doubt that it may have had a small detrimental affect earlier in the season but it's certainly not to blame for all our problems. We've been pretty consistently gaining 1 PPG since last February.
Europe on 12:37 - Apr 17 with 951 viewsStarsky

Europe on 12:21 - Apr 17 by JackFish

We've played two Europa games since December 12th and our form hasn't improved since then.

I don't doubt that it may have had a small detrimental affect earlier in the season but it's certainly not to blame for all our problems. We've been pretty consistently gaining 1 PPG since last February.

This.

It's just the internet, init.

Europe on 12:40 - Apr 17 with 948 viewsUxbridge

Europe on 09:58 - Apr 17 by IAN05

Nah mate, Aspas was being chased since last January, he was number 1. Aubameyang was next but nowhere near realistic. Bony/Altidore/The guy from France who I cannot remember were the next considerations.

Altidore? I can't think of a more inappropriate signing for the Swans. Really can't have seen that one.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Europe on 12:52 - Apr 17 with 940 viewsIAN05

Europe on 12:40 - Apr 17 by Uxbridge

Altidore? I can't think of a more inappropriate signing for the Swans. Really can't have seen that one.

We definitely got the best deal of the bigger money strikers - Altidore, Lamela, Van Wolfswinkel, Cornelius, Soldado etc etc.

Altidore have been disastrous. How true it was that we were after him who knows, but was being touted same time as Bony and Gomis.
Europe on 13:15 - Apr 17 with 922 viewsUxbridge

Europe on 12:52 - Apr 17 by IAN05

We definitely got the best deal of the bigger money strikers - Altidore, Lamela, Van Wolfswinkel, Cornelius, Soldado etc etc.

Altidore have been disastrous. How true it was that we were after him who knows, but was being touted same time as Bony and Gomis.

Oh yes. He's been great for us and the pick of that little lot.

I just can't see us going after Altidore. Proven not to be good in this league, slow, lumbering. He's just not a Swans signing.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Europe on 15:43 - Apr 17 with 898 viewscontroversial_jack

Europe on 11:26 - Apr 17 by shingle

That was months ago, "you complete and utter fundamental opening"! The players have been rested since, so no excuses for not improving.
Europe on 15:49 - Apr 17 with 894 viewsGlyn1

Europe on 21:33 - Apr 16 by C_jack

Legs may forgive, but they never forget.

What a great slogan to put on a T-shirt. I've got no idea what it means.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Europe on 15:52 - Apr 17 with 892 viewsLohengrin

Europe on 09:15 - Apr 17 by haremscarem

Aubameyang won't come back...

Sorry

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Europe on 18:27 - Apr 17 with 875 viewsshingle

Europe on 15:43 - Apr 17 by controversial_jack

That was months ago, "you complete and utter fundamental opening"! The players have been rested since, so no excuses for not improving.

You have no idea have you when a team start`s struggling it`s very difficult to get out of the rut happens to the best of them, and Swansea are now in that position due to screwing up by playing and traveling to much and not being 100% when playing after the Thursday games, now what you need to do is add the word bungalow at the end of Jack, because you have fcuk all upstairs you dumb moron.
Europe on 11:05 - Apr 20 with 806 viewscontroversial_jack

Europe on 18:27 - Apr 17 by shingle

You have no idea have you when a team start`s struggling it`s very difficult to get out of the rut happens to the best of them, and Swansea are now in that position due to screwing up by playing and traveling to much and not being 100% when playing after the Thursday games, now what you need to do is add the word bungalow at the end of Jack, because you have fcuk all upstairs you dumb moron.

What part of, it happened months ago and the players have had time to recover don't you understand?
Europe on 12:58 - Apr 20 with 773 viewshobo

Europe on 09:58 - Apr 17 by IAN05

Gomis was the French guy. He's out of contract in the Summer. Don't think we were ever after Altidore. ML really wanted Michy and we bid £3m, but they wanted £5m. That's why we brought Vazquez in.
Europe on 14:48 - Apr 20 with 748 viewsshingle

Europe on 11:05 - Apr 20 by controversial_jack

What part of, it happened months ago and the players have had time to recover don't you understand?

You still can not grasp what is being said, ok if this makes you feel better the points dropped during us being to fcuked to play at 100% after the Europa games has no bearing of us being down where we are, hope your contented with that, now go away you dopey git.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2014 14:48]
Europe on 14:54 - Apr 20 with 741 viewsC_jack

Europe on 14:48 - Apr 20 by shingle

You still can not grasp what is being said, ok if this makes you feel better the points dropped during us being to fcuked to play at 100% after the Europa games has no bearing of us being down where we are, hope your contented with that, now go away you dopey git.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2014 14:48]

So without the Europa League we would have gone to Southampton and Man City and won?

Palace (a) - W
Southampton (A)- L
West Ham (h) - D
Stoke (H) - D
Man City (A) - L
Norwich (A) - D

Europe on 14:57 - Apr 20 with 738 viewsPhil_S

Games played on the Sunday after a Thursday away game in Europe

Ploiesti (away) Won 2-0 at West Brom
Valencia (away) Won 1-0 at Crystal Palace
Krasnodar (away) Drew 3-3 with Stoke
St Gallen (away) Drew 1-1 with Norwich
Napoli (away) Drew 1-1 with Crystal Palace

And after a Thursday home game

Ploiesti (home) Lost 1-0 to Spurs
St Gallen (home) Lost 2-0 to Southampton
Krasnodar (home) drew 0-0 with West Ham
Valencia (home) lost 3-0 to Manchester City
Napoli (home) lost 4-3 to Liverpool

Total 10 points from 10 games

This post has been edited by an administrator
Europe on 15:07 - Apr 20 with 731 viewsshingle

Europe on 14:54 - Apr 20 by C_jack

So without the Europa League we would have gone to Southampton and Man City and won?

Palace (a) - W
Southampton (A)- L
West Ham (h) - D
Stoke (H) - D
Man City (A) - L
Norwich (A) - D

Yep your right, we did win one game, as well and losing quite a few players through injury, and things have not got better after the cup because once the rot sets in it`s very difficult to stop, as i say we should not have overplayed our best players and kept them fresh and firing on all cylinders for the Prem, but hey it now looks like as we are going to get away with it and survive and that`s all that matters to me, so you lot carry on and believe the Europa had nowt to do with our struggle to stay in the Prem and i`ll just look forward to a comfortable mid table finish next season without the Europa to worry about.
Europe on 15:12 - Apr 20 with 723 viewsC_jack

Europe on 15:07 - Apr 20 by shingle

Yep your right, we did win one game, as well and losing quite a few players through injury, and things have not got better after the cup because once the rot sets in it`s very difficult to stop, as i say we should not have overplayed our best players and kept them fresh and firing on all cylinders for the Prem, but hey it now looks like as we are going to get away with it and survive and that`s all that matters to me, so you lot carry on and believe the Europa had nowt to do with our struggle to stay in the Prem and i`ll just look forward to a comfortable mid table finish next season without the Europa to worry about.

Oh aye.. we've been struggling ever since the first day when we were bottom of the table.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024